The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > Green Lanternverse > Green Lantern Vol. 3
FLASHCHAT

GL Volume 3

Old 02-03-2013, 03:19 PM   #1
Lantern2814.20850
Green Lantern

Default Green Lantern Mosaic Now available!!!

Well thanks to Black History Month John Stewart's solo book is now available from Comixology at the ultra low price of $0.99 per issue

That's the Good News.

The Bad News is they only gave us 10 of the 18 issues produced (issue 1 having been available since the fall gives us a total of 11 issues altogether)

Still, It's a really great deal and the timing is decent since Mosaic started when Volume 3 was in the mid-twenties (actually I think issue 1 came out around the same month as GL #25)

Now let's have a look at those Covers! (plus I added the original promotional page seen in a few of the comics available the month before (funny! Green Lantern didn't have this page in It's issue preceeding Mosaics release!)

Note on #4: John Gives the Mosaic Kids power rings in this issue This might be why they decided to offer to the readers.

Last edited by Lantern2814.20850; 02-03-2013 at 03:22 PM.
Lantern2814.20850 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 06:52 PM   #2
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

This entire series need to be collected in trade form!
Old 02-03-2013, 09:47 PM   #3
Mister.Weirdo
Guardian of the Universe

Thankfully I have every issued collected. So I could care less if they collect the series in trade paperback form.
Old 02-08-2014, 01:50 PM   #4
sundrop
Fatality's Blacksmith

I just picked up the last issue to this. Was much more expensive than the rest, for some reason. Gonna be reading them soon.
sundrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 09:39 PM   #5
Evergreen City
Corps Den Mother

Last issue is most expensive because it wraps up the story (duh) and returns the cities home. My copy of #17 should be in my mailbox shortly.

The power of will is found at the deepest level of your being. It's more than mere rules. It's a duty that you must honor.
Evergreen City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 11:34 PM   #6
sundrop
Fatality's Blacksmith

Guess I was expecting the first issue to be the most expensive. But I picked it up NM for $1. Same with Guy Gardner #1. Mosaic #18 VF cost me $8 online, woulda been a lot more from a comic shop.
Old 03-03-2014, 11:51 PM   #7
TEN_RINGS
Weaponer of Qward

I never cared for mosaic the art was terrible in my opinion and the stories were poorly written, however I did love the original mosaic storyline in green lantern volume 3
TEN_RINGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 12:07 AM   #8
Mister Ed
Horse of a Different Color

The art was...different. It wasn't my favorite style, admittedly, but I couldn't really say that it was poorly executed, just stylistically unusual.

The stories, though, were excellent. (IMHO, of course, TEN_RINGS. You are certainly entitled to your opinion, of course. I also enjoyed the original Mosaic 4-parter, as well.)

The LETTER PAGES were also something that I enjoyed, because unlike so many other comics, they were perfectly willing to publish and respond to letters that weren't glowing praise. Don't know if those are included in the digital editions.
Old 03-04-2014, 08:04 PM   #9
TEN_RINGS
Weaponer of Qward

It just seemed like they were trying to be way to different and thats what made me not like it, I was a young kid when I first read it and I feel the same now after reading it many times, I really tried to like it but I just dont feel it.
TEN_RINGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 08:14 PM   #10
Mister Ed

Fair enough. It WAS rather different. Rumor is THAT is what got it cancelled. Supposedly its sales were just fine, and it definitely wasn't cancelled as part of Emerald Twilight, as it was gone before they ever made plans for the version of ET we got. Supposedly, TPTB just thought it was too odd...

I've no idea how much credence to give that.
Old 03-04-2014, 09:01 PM   #11
SD80MAC
Not a True Fan

I believe it. GLM was definitely a "thinking fan's" book (and I hate that term). However, intelligent mainstream comics were out of style back then, and definitely out of style now.
Old 03-04-2014, 09:22 PM   #12
JohnnyV
Pictionary Master

I wouldn't say completely out of style, just out of style with the two bigs in their superhero universes.

Follow The Nobodies Comic on Facebook or Twitter
JohnnyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 09:58 PM   #13
Mister Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyV View Post
I wouldn't say completely out of style, just out of style with the two bigs in their superhero universes.
I wonder, if Vertigo had been around when Mosaic started, if they would have considered putting it under that imprint. Probably not, since they seemed determined to keep the Vertigo and the main DCU separate for the most part.
Old 03-04-2014, 10:05 PM   #14
Sylent_Asassin
Black Lantern

A couple of months ago, I purchased the entire Mosiac collection on eBay for like $25 with bags and boards. Upon receipt, I thumbed through the first issue, but never made time to read. I'll have to do that one of these days. The art style is definitely... different.
Old 03-06-2014, 04:16 PM   #15
sundrop
Fatality's Blacksmith

Have yet to read this series. I'm almost at the entry point though. I'm at Vol3 issue #21 in my reading list.

I did read issue #14 which I picked up in the dollar bin at an expo. What a funny issue! The writer really captured the pyschedelic bad trip here. That's another thing that makes GL stand out to me. It's got a bit of a counter-culture undercurrent to it. Not lately it doesn't, but when you dig into GL history, there is definitely more bits of truth than most bland/generic comic series.

Old 04-01-2014, 03:10 AM   #16
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

They told Gerard Jones that Mosaic's sales were good but that it was being canceled because Kyle was going to be the only Lantern. Same thing for the Green Lantern Corps Quarterly. Both were books sacrificed to make Kyle special.

Mosaic was supposed to run for 24 issues but they ordered Jones to wrap it up early.

I think it should be brought back as an ongoing, but with normal art.

Last edited by Trey Strain; 04-01-2014 at 03:15 AM.
Trey Strain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 08:22 AM   #17
SocializingMogo
Corps Honor Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spy Smasher View Post
I think it should be brought back as an ongoing, but with normal art.
Please don't don't, not another Lantern book!
SocializingMogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 01:20 PM   #18
Mister Ed

Quote:
They told Gerard Jones that Mosaic's sales were good but that it was being canceled because Kyle was going to be the only Lantern. Same thing for the Green Lantern Corps Quarterly. Both were books sacrificed to make Kyle special.
This is true of GLCQ, but not Mosaic. Mosaic was cancelled well before Kyle had even been created. When Mosaic was cancelled, Marz hadn't even been brought on to rewrite Emerald Twilight yet, so Kyle's "there can be only one" status would not have played a role.
Old 04-01-2014, 01:59 PM   #19
SD80MAC
Not a True Fan

Wasn't the GLCQ sales in the toilet, too? I've always thought that should've been a monthly book, with one story per issue. I think it would've done well that way, and could've continued past Kyle's introduction with historical GL tales (which they did in various miniseries throughout the Kyle era, anyway).
Old 04-01-2014, 02:05 PM   #20
Space Cop
The Dandy

I would've been game to any method of saving GLCQ. That was one of the series cancellations I was most depressed by.
Old 04-01-2014, 02:50 PM   #21
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Ed View Post
This is true of GLCQ, but not Mosaic. Mosaic was cancelled well before Kyle had even been created. When Mosaic was cancelled, Marz hadn't even been brought on to rewrite Emerald Twilight yet, so Kyle's "there can be only one" status would not have played a role.
Nope. It was decided that Hal was to be junked, and Jones agreed with that idea. He thought that Hal carried so much baggage from the past that he couldn't write Hal. Jones wrote a TERRIFIC script for Emerald Twilight that Kevin Dooley rejected on the grounds that it wasn't shocking enough. And Dooley made the very poor decision to fire Jones and bring in Marz to replace him.

Jones wanted Mosaic to run its course and argued with the higher-ups but lost the argument.

And it was stated in the GLCQ lettercol that the sales of comic were good but it was being canceled because of the new direction.

So Kyle has ALWAYS been a special snowflake.
Old 04-01-2014, 02:54 PM   #22
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by SocializingMogo View Post
Please don't don't, not another Lantern book!
There should be five Lantern titles. Green Lantern, The Green Lantern Corps, Emerald Flame, Lantern Academy and Mosaic.
Old 04-01-2014, 02:55 PM   #23
SD80MAC
Not a True Fan

Better a "special snowflake" than beating the same generic drum for decades.
Old 04-01-2014, 03:04 PM   #24
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD80MAC View Post
Better a "special snowflake" than beating the same generic drum for decades.
Let me have him and put him in Lantern Academy.
Old 04-01-2014, 03:16 PM   #25
Mister Ed

Quote:
Nope. It was decided that Hal was to be junked, and Jones agreed with that idea. He thought that Hal carried so much baggage from the past that he couldn't write Hal. Jones wrote a TERRIFIC script for Emerald Twilight that Kevin Dooley rejected on the grounds that it wasn't shocking enough. And Dooley made the very poor decision to fire Jones and bring in Marz to replace him.

Jones wanted Mosaic to run its course and argued with the higher-ups but lost the argument.

And it was stated in the GLCQ lettercol that the sales of comic were good but it was being canceled because of the new direction.

So Kyle has ALWAYS been a special snowflake.
Like I said, you are correct about GLCQ. But Mosaic's cancellation pre-dated plans for Kyle. According to Cully Hamner, it was marked for cancellation when issue #5 came out, and they gave Jones a year to wrap it up. It ran June 1992-November 1993. ET didn't come out until January 1994, and as you correctly mention, it was a last minute change from Gerard Jones' script (so late, in fact, that the first issue of Jones' ET was actually solicited, and the title missed a month while the scrambled to replace it). There is NO WAY at all that Mosaic's cancellation had anything to do with Kyle, because it was cancelled WELL before Marz was even brought on to create Kyle.

Last edited by Mister Ed; 04-01-2014 at 03:19 PM.
Mister Ed is offline   Reply With Quote