Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When did DC upgrade GL from cheap newsprint to higher quality newsprint?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When did DC upgrade GL from cheap newsprint to higher quality newsprint?

I know that the first GL issue that was printed on glossy paper was #181 (the last issue of this volume).
    However they also switched from the cheap-ass newsprint they used on the beginning of vol. 3 to higher quality newsprint which had much better colour reproduction (and less smearing etc.).

Does someone know when the switch was made exactly?

A lot of books were doing it for a while before DC decided to give up newspaper completely. I think Marvel was already there (and Image had been phasing them in since the early 90s). It was definitely before "holding the line at 2.99" because part of the issue of what the bottom price could be was based on paper stock.

I have to say, this is one of the changes to the industry I actually like. Although it meant a price hike, the paper is more durable and the ink doesn't smear with time like silver age books do now. Plus, the colors "pop" more.
    Space Cop
    The Dandy
    Last edited by Space Cop; 11-18-2013, 01:47 PM.

Comment

That was in 2011 I think but Green Lantern must have switched to more expensive paper stock before #100 I think. It was still newspaper, but better quality than before.

Comment

Working...
      X