Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Could Kyle Hook Up With Carol?!? He does.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Vaegrin View Post
    Costumes are a superficial element of a comic book . . . but come on. So is the art. The pretty (and superficial) pictures are a major part of why we read comic books and watch movies with big budget special effects. If you want fiction that doesn't focus on such "superficial" elements, read a novel. I suggest The Lies of Locke Lamora, by Scott Lynch. Its characters are great, and it doesn't even have a love story in it!
    That's a fair point... but developing an emotional attachment to the clothes the characters wear is taking it an extra level. Superman and Batman have had thousands of tweaks, changes and alterations over the years but we all know who they are and what we think they stand for.

A non-fiction example... I'm a huge Los Angeles Kings fan. They're getting new uniforms next season and while I'm not personally thrilled with them I understand that it's not really going to change how I root for the team.

And as for love interests . . . you're not really suggesting that relationships are a superficial element of comics, are you? Human relationships, including romantic ones, are part of what makes fictional characters relatable. Love interests are a nonessential but compelling means of character development. Which is why almost love interests are a central part of almost every major superhero's story and virtually every successful superhero movie.
    I was referring only to the costumes and accessories. "Love" interests CAN be superficial in any given story but no I'm not suggesting that comic book characters should never be in relationships. I was talking about their threads.

Given the state of Green Lantern comic books the last two or three years, I would expect you to be interested in more of a focus on relationships, not less.
    Well it would depend on how it was written but again... not talking about relationships. Just the clothes.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr. Naysay View Post
      That's a fair point... but developing an emotional attachment to the clothes the characters wear is taking it an extra level.
      I can't disagree with that. Which is why I am driven utterly crazy by the "Wonder Woman Must Wear Star Spangled Panties" crowd. I won't begrudge anyone for preferring one costume over the other, missing an old costume, wanting a new costume, or anything else on those lines. But it can certainly be taken too far. And comic book fans can be known to take just about anything too far.

I was referring only to the costumes and accessories.
      Ah, okay. I should have assumed so. My apologies.

Comment

I can't disagree with that. Which is why I am driven utterly crazy by the "Wonder Woman Must Wear Star Spangled Panties" crowd. I won't begrudge anyone for preferring one costume over the other, missing an old costume, wanting a new costume, or anything else on those lines. But it can certainly be taken too far. And comic book fans can be known to take just about anything too far.
        It's a fascinating line DC and Marvel walk. They clearly cater to a certain subset of emotionally fragile fans who will always always always want it to be "just the way they like it" and yet you can't just keep telling the same stories month after month.

I'd love to see a serious cross section of "Mainstream comicbook fans" studied and interviewed to find out just how prevalent certain attitudes and preferences are.

Ah, okay. I should have assumed so. My apologies.
        No worries... I make assumptions about what people are saying and then write eight paragraph profanity laced tirades against it all the time.

Hell I did it yesterday.

Comment

Originally posted by IonFan View Post
          good god no............. i don't want Carol to die
          Hilarious.

Going beyond that, I think this would just be a misguided mechanism to trumpet Kyle, or at least an attempt to make him more...relevant? Because right now he's off in the corner of the GLC cafeteria, sharing a frappaccino and scone with Natu.

But it'd end up giving off the same vibe DC did in the 90s with the whole legacy/retro model: Take a concept or supporting character from the Silver Age, foist it upon a 20-something Gen-X character, then show why it was ultimately un-kewel and discard it.

Carol Ferris? Not getting discarded.
          Sandor_Clegane
          Sinestro's Sparring Partner
          Last edited by Sandor_Clegane; 07-16-2011, 01:03 AM.

Comment

Given the state of Green Lantern comic books the last two or three years, I would expect you to be interested in more of a focus on relationships, not less.
            Green Lantern is space opera. Not soap opera.

Incorrect pronounciation is the fricking enemy here, people!

Comment

Originally posted by Sandor_Clegane View Post
              Green Lantern is space opera. Not soap opera.
              Right. Superhero stories and space operas aren't supposed to deal with the personal lives of their characters. I forgot.

Comment

Hellz to the NO i'd rather see John Stewart destroying a whole solar system
                If that's Carol on the cover we know her reasoning to putting clothes on "I can't have thus dude falling for me and end up an a refrigerator"
                Winner of THE INFAMOUS PEOPLE DRAFT 2011

Comment

Originally posted by ns2 View Post
                  Hellz to the NO i'd rather see John Stewart destroying a whole solar system
                  If that's Carol on the cover we know her reasoning to putting clothes on "I can't have thus dude falling for me and end up an a refrigerator"

Comment

I know that its not in Kyle's character but it could be a wham bam thank you ma'am. Then he's not interested any more. He has been sleeping with an alien for awhile. Maybe alien anatomy is more fun.
                    Time,Space and Will Power

Comment

That's a fair point... but developing an emotional attachment to the clothes the characters wear is taking it an extra level. Superman and Batman have had thousands of tweaks, changes and alterations over the years but we all know who they are and what we think they stand for.

A non-fiction example... I'm a huge Los Angeles Kings fan. They're getting new uniforms next season and while I'm not personally thrilled with them I understand that it's not really going to change how I root for the team.

I was referring only to the costumes and accessories. "Love" interests CAN be superficial in any given story but no I'm not suggesting that comic book characters should never be in relationships. I was talking about their threads.

Well it would depend on how it was written but again... not talking about relationships. Just the clothes.
                      This is a thread for Kyle/Carol. At least try to stay on topic and leave your obsession with my obsession for another convo in another thread.

For the people against the idea of Kyle/Carol, would you rather Carol just go ahead and hook up with Hal again for more of the same old same old? You want him to go back to work for Ferris? Even though it'd make me happier to see a more Earth based character driven story, I don't want to go back to THAT. I'd much rather see Hal dealing with the consequences of ditching his job in the Air Force... and how he's to pay rent for an apartment he doesn't stay in without earning money....

~KL~

Comment

Originally posted by The Kid Lantern View Post
                        This is a thread for Kyle/Carol. At least try to stay on topic and leave your obsession with my obsession for another convo in another thread.
                        I was responding to someone who was addressing me. I wasn't talking about you specifically and the topic of clothes was done at which point I said...

Originally posted by ME
                        It's a fascinating line DC and Marvel walk. They clearly cater to a certain subset of emotionally fragile fans who will always always always want it to be "just the way they like it" and yet you can't just keep telling the same stories month after month.
                        Which sounds an AWFUL LOT LIKE ....

Originally posted by YOU
                        For the people against the idea of Kyle/Carol, would you rather Carol just go ahead and hook up with Hal again for more of the same old same old? You want him to go back to work for Ferris? Even though it'd make me happier to see a more Earth based character driven story, I don't want to go back to THAT. I'd much rather see Hal dealing with the consequences of ditching his job in the Air Force... and how he's to pay rent for an apartment he doesn't stay in without earning money....

~KL~
                        THAT!

So eat it.

Comment

THAT is just me trying to get back on topic.

If Carol isn't gonna hook up with Hal, and she isn't gonna be in his supporting cast, why not let the K-Man take her for a spin? Chicks dig those deep artist types sometimes, I'm assuming that still counts in a room full of aliens and vomiting RL's.

~KL~
                          Ωmega Man
                          Guardian of the Universe
                          Last edited by Ωmega Man; 07-17-2011, 07:37 AM.

Comment

Other then a way for Kyle fans to stick it to Hal. I just don't see it personality wise. I think in Carols eyes,Hal is Green Lantern and he is still just a punk kid.

And In Kyle's eyes Carol is just a bitchy old hagg. Correct me if I am wrong, Wasn't there a issue where Hal and Kyle swithced places, Carol came up to Kyle/Hal sporting her usual attitude,and Kyle just smiled and walked off with a Go fuck yourself vibe. And Carol was left standing there like what the fuck just happened. I think it was the zero issue. That was one of Kyle's cooler moments. Hal may have put up with that shit, but Kyle wasn'tgoing to.
                            Take life with a Grain of salt and a shot of tequila!

Comment

Originally posted by The Kid Lantern View Post
                              If Carol isn't gonna hook up with Hal, and she isn't gonna be in his supporting cast, why not let the K-Man take her for a spin? Chicks dig those deep artist types sometimes, I'm assuming that still counts in a room full of aliens and vomiting RL's.
                              The logic here seems to be if she's not going to be will Hal let's give her to Kyle...how about we get some character development first instead of throwing her into a relationship just for the hell of it.

Originally posted by Rotten2thecorps View Post
                              Other then a way for Kyle fans to stick it to Hal. I just don't see it personality wise. I think in Carols eyes,Hal is Green Lantern and he is still just a punk kid.
                              +1 on this. I just don't see Kyle measuring up to Hal in her eyes which means any relationship between the two isn't gunna last long term and if done will most probably just be for the drama. I would much rather that Bedard spend his time establishing/developing an interesting dynamic among the entire team and flesh out some of the characters we haven't seen much of.

Comment

Originally posted by hypotherion View Post
                                The logic here seems to be if she's not going to be will Hal let's give her to Kyle...how about we get some character development first instead of throwing her into a relationship just for the hell of it.
                                If editorial cared about character development we would have had some by now. If it takes something with shock value to get people into a story, then by all means shock them.

Personally, ANY character driven stories would shock me under the current editorial iron fist. Seems like the secret ID of Clark Kent in Superman is the only secret ID anybody cares enough to write about. Such a big deal was made about Hal joining the Air Force again and Geoff researching at Edwards Air Force Base... for what? A few panels with Hal's new old friend Shane and a chick called Cowgirl [I don't even know her real name, I didn't start getting GL till RotRLs]?

~KL~

Comment

Working...
                                X