X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alien Predator (2018)

"Shit my pants twice. You?"

A spec ops team is abruptly wiped out while investigating rebel activity and it will be hours before a proper team can be assembled. Enter The Rock Lite, a grizzled-but-compassionate soldier who pulls together a team to go in and rescue the boys.

I'm not gonna lie, this was slightly better than expected (especially for an Asylum flick). The location shots were much better than The Terminators, the acting was actually relatively good (especially from the squad leader, he isn't just Rock Lite in looks only). Hell, even the look of the aliens with their masks off is not bad.

But it does suffer from some ham-fisted acting, logical inconsistencies (getting shot at but then immediately forgetting about it), the usual low-budget issues. It's actually playing off both Predator and Predator 2, with some original elements thrown in that are appreciated (and the aliens never really do any predatory things).

It's not as stupid-funny as The Terminators (because it takes itself more seriously) but I would definitely call it the better film. Hopefully Xavi Israel (the squad leader) has a good career because if he corners the B-flick market in some capacity I'll be happy, the dude actually has talent.
    Villain Draft 3: Fourth Place Winner

September 11, 2001; January 6, 2021; February 13, 2021

Comment

• Killing Gunther (2017)

"He got to the chopper."

Parasite (2019)

"Rich people are naive. No resentments. No creases on them.
      -It all gets ironed out. Money is an iron. Those creases all get smoothed out by money."

Great. Maybe some of the metaphor/commentary was a bit on the nose, but I get the praise and accolades.

You can probably guess what night I played this double feature:

Friday the 13th Part VI: Jason Lives (1986)

"I've seen enough horror movies to know any weirdo wearing a mask is never friendly."

Friday the 13th Part VII: The New Blood (1988)

"You know what I like about you?
      -What?
      You hardly sweat at all."
      Space Cop
      The Dandy
      Last edited by Space Cop; 12-05-2020, 02:49 PM.

Comment

• I'm surprised that Cynthia Rothrock never got a regular role in a television series. She could have done comedy or drama.

Rothrock sounds like a Flintstones character.
        Trey Strain
        Guardian of the Universe
        Last edited by Trey Strain; 11-16-2020, 05:58 PM.

Comment

• The Lobster (2015)

"If you encounter any problems you cannot resolve yourselves, you will be assigned children, that usually helps."

Howl from Beyond the Fog (2020)

"Where is home?"

Short (35 min) kaiju film using a suit-based monster with the humans being all puppets. Knowing some of the filmmakers and backers, I pre-ordered this. It was a bit slow and more esoteric than I expected, but looked great.

What Did Jack Do? (2017/2020)

"She was the love of my life. I'm not sh**ting you!"

David Lynch's recent short film in which he interrogates a talking monkey, who is in love with a chicken and maybe murdered another animal.

My Best Friend's Birthday (1987)

"Your a** is grass, and I'm the lawnmower."

Another short, QT's 1st.

Originally posted by Trey Strain View Post
          I'm surprised that Cynthia Rothrock never got a regular role in a television series. She could have done comedy or drama.

Rothrock sounds like a Flintstones character.
          It's surprising how even some of action movies don't make a big enough deal of her legit fighting skills (in Martial Law she has one good fight, but is mostly the girlfriend to Ste McQueen's son's character).
          Space Cop
          The Dandy
          Last edited by Space Cop; 12-05-2020, 02:49 PM.

Comment

• Rambo first blood. Movie was ahead of its time for ptsd in 82. I only saw the original so im marathoning the rest of the series
            .................................................. ..........................

Cnn = constant nasuating nonsense

Comment

• A Clockwork Orange (1971)

"Oh, it was gorgeousness and gorgeousity made flesh."

R.I.P. David Prowse.

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part I (2010)

"Dobby never meant to kill! Dobby only meant to maim, or seriously injure!"

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2 (2011)

"I think we'd all be fascinated to hear what you have to say."

Never Too Young to Die (1986)

"Is the concentration lethal?
              -I'd say worse!"

Tubied this after watching a Red Letter Media 'Best of the Worst.'
              Space Cop
              The Dandy
              Last edited by Space Cop; 12-02-2020, 04:32 AM.

Comment

• I'm also surprised that Renee O'Connor didn't get a sitcom after Xena ended. She could have had a bigger success with that than she had with Xena.

Comment

• Amazing Grace (2006)

"They personalize your theology."

Not the feature film of the same year, but a documentary about famous hymns and their background.

Y tu mamá también (2001)

"Play with babies and you'll end up washing diapers!"

Videodrome (1983)

"You'll forgive me if I don't stay around to watch. I just can't cope with the freaky stuff."

Finally picked the BD of this up from Barnes and Noble during their Criterion sale. Hadn't watched it in a while, but still loved it.
                  Space Cop
                  The Dandy
                  Last edited by Space Cop; 12-19-2020, 02:35 PM.

Comment

• The Ghost and Mr. Chicken (1966)

"The price tag is hanging off your suit."

An inept typesetter at a small-town paper (Don Knotts) stirs the pot when he prints an article about the twentieth anniversary of a notorious murder-suicide, and when he spends the night at the haunted house he kicks the hornet's nest by incurring a libel lawsuit. But there's a killer to be caught, and the town's biggest coward is the hero they need.

I saw this a while ago but decided to purchase it cheap at the market and watch it with my dad for his birthday. He got a laugh out of it (he's right in that it has a kind of modern gothic style to it) and some of the jokes are actually pretty good (the comedic timing is excellent). He insisted I take it with me so it doesn't clutter his own house, so now this is going in my personal library.

Comment

• Captain Kidd (1945)

"I shall hold you responsible for their good conduct.
                      -Between their conduct and mine, your majesty, there will be little to choose."

Turned 75 this past Sunday. Found it on Youtube.

Predator 2 (1990)

"Iwo Jima, Cambodia, Beirut. Drawn by heat and conflict."

30th anniversary. BTW: the above line kind of went past me before, but now I really want to see the story of some WWII Marines fighting a Predator or Vietnam vets in a black-ops mission for that matter.

Toy Story (1995)

"This is a perfect time to panic!"

25th anniversary.

Originally posted by Agent Purple View Post
                      The Ghost and Mr. Chicken (1966) . . .
                      I re-watched that my family for the Halloween season (I love to watch horror in October, but horror/gothic comedy fits even better).
                      Space Cop
                      The Dandy
                      Last edited by Space Cop; 12-19-2020, 02:36 PM.

Comment

• MST3K: The Horror of Party Beach (1964)

"Shouldn't we be dumping this in a poor black neighborhood? Or an Indian reservation?"

Everyone is partying at the beach but a shady company is dumping toxic waste in the waters, which create a horde of aquatic monster-men that kill everyone they can get their claws on.

And some of the jokes in here are absolutely savage: when the company is dumping the barrels into the water, one of the riffers says "Oh, it's an Exxon training video!" and then the quoted line above is uttered. Both my dad and me got a lot of laughs out of this (fewer at the end) so it made up for the film being a 1960s version of the whole "random scientific factoid is entire premise of sci-fi/horror film" trend from the previous decade.

Available for free on YouTube thanks to a random uploader.

Comment

• Ready or Not (2019)

"What happened to you?
                          -In-laws."

Enjoyed it.

Fiddler on the Roof (1971)

"It's not that I'm sentimental, it's just that I'm terrified."

Robocop 2 (1990)

"Ladies and gentlemen, with great pleasure, I give you RoboCop 2."
                          Space Cop
                          The Dandy
                          Last edited by Space Cop; 12-19-2020, 02:37 PM.

Comment

• MST3K: The Projected Man (1966)

"Dr. Benny Hill?"

Scientists enlist the help of a pathologist to help correct issues with their teleportation device, but their big showing is sabotaged by the lab's head. Frustrated, the project lead attempts to teleport himself only to suffer a horrible accident and become disfigured and given a death-touch.

I swear I saw this years ago, maybe even this very episode. A lot of it seemed familiar and Pearl, Brain Guy and Bobo finding Castle Forrester is practically ringing the bells but I can't clearly remember.

Anyway, my dad and I got a few laughs out of this but even the crew seemed to run dry towards the last act of the film. He also was visibly annoyed that I "contaminated" his YouTube recommendations with MST3K videos before and now did so again (but to be fair, he whines about everything I do that alters his algorithms).

Comment

• My Favorite Year (1982)

"Dying is easy. Comedy is hard."

Really liked this one. A pretty well respected comedy that I happened to miss until some random video recently reminded me to Netflix it. O'Toole plays a past-his-prime, alcoholic British actor who takes a job in 1954 NYC on a comedy variety show to pay taxes.

And a couple 40th anniversaries:

Superman 2 (1980)

"Why do you say this to me, when you know that I will kill you for it?"

Flash Gordon (1980)

"Flash, I love you! But we only have fourteen hours to save the Earth!"

Originally posted by Agent Purple View Post
                              ...He also was visibly annoyed that I "contaminated" his YouTube recommendations with MST3K videos before and now did so again (but to be fair, he whines about everything I do that alters his algorithms).
                              Those don’t last long. If he gets back into a few days of his normal stuff that’ll revert.
                              Space Cop
                              The Dandy
                              Last edited by Space Cop; 12-19-2020, 02:36 PM.

Comment

• Won't revert his memory, unfortunately. Half of the time I'm sure he does it just to gripe at me.

Comment

Working...
                                X