This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Pleasure Garden, 1925

Hitchcock's first full movie as a director, and it's a snoozefest. There are a few nice Expressionist images, but there is no suspense in this. I'd say it's a romance movie, but there's hardly any romance in it either. I mean, sure, it suffers in comparison with Hitchcock's later movies, and it's possible that it was a masterpiece back in 1925 and just hasn't aged well.

But it's just very dull, with very few hints at the director that Hitchcock became later.
    Michael Heide
    Heide Finition
    Last edited by Michael Heide; 05-25-2020, 07:43 AM.

Comment

• Last film you saw, vol. 6

In theaters, it was Doolittle before Charminageddon hit. On DVD, the most recent Rambo. I enjoyed both.

Sitting on the toilet using Tapatalk

Comment

• Transcendence (2014)

"Can you prove you're self-aware?
        -That's a difficult question, Dr. Tagger. Can you prove that you are?"

Harlan County U.S.A. (1976)

"Here was a combination of the whole thing, you see: you had to bump against the whole combination of them."

A pretty famous documentary about a long, notorious coal mining strike in '70s KY.

3 from Hell (2019)

"All hail the man behind the grease paint!"

Not bad per se, but felt like an unnecessary rehash of The Devil's Rejects. I would've liked more variation on that and better use of the fact that they were now in the 80s.
        Space Cop
        The Dandy
        Last edited by Space Cop; 06-01-2020, 01:18 PM.

Comment

• Silly stupid fun with a decent anti-bully message.
          Do good. Be well. Make happy.

Comment

• Hell's Angels (1930)

"I'm not yellow! I can see things as they are, that's all. And I'm sick of this rotten business."

Howard Hughes (in)famous WWI flying drama turned 90 on May 27th. I had never seen it. From what I had read, I was expecting the aerial stunts to be impressive (they were) and the melodrama to be really bad, but I liked it overall.

The Gunfighter (1950)

"Well if he ain't so tough, there's been an awful lot of sudden natural deaths in his vicinity."

Youtubed it on the 26th for its 70th anniversary. Excellent storytelling and a good reminder that the demystification of the Old West began long before the '70s.

The Time Machine (1960)

"Which three books would you have taken?"

Watched with the family on the 25th for its 60th anniversary.

Comment

• I felt like watching a fun sci-fi, so I'm revisiting some of the Troopers flicks.
              They may be the worst film adaptations of all time, but they're lots of fun.

Comment

• Total Recall (1990)

"A man is defined by his actions, not his memory."

Turned 30 on Sunday as did the following on Monday.

Frankenhooker (1990)

"For crying out loud, you're like cats with catnip!"

Originally posted by Parrylakks View Post
                I felt like watching a fun sci-fi, so I'm revisiting some of the Troopers flicks.
                They may be the worst film adaptations of all time, but they're lots of fun.
                Yeah, I read the book and saw all the movies. At least the animated one has a lot of the elements (the suits and the opening line stood out). That said, I think the book is good and the first movie is good on its own part just not as a faithful adaptation kind of like how I feel about Bladerunner.
                Space Cop
                The Dandy
                Last edited by Space Cop; 06-13-2020, 04:57 PM.

Comment

• A bit too on the nose by the end, but easily my favorite of the sequels.

Originally posted by Space Cop View Post
                  Yeah, I read the book and saw all the movies. At least the animated one has a lot of the elements (the suits and the opening line stood out). That said, I think the book is good and the first movie is good on its own part just not as a faithful adaptation kind of like how I feel about Bladerunner.
                  That first animated movie toyed with my emotions when the first trailer came out showing off a then unnamed trooper in what appeared to be an accurate MI suit while basically quoting the first paragraph of the book... I was so hyped that they were going to do an accurate version, but then it was just an animated sequel to the movies. Not terrible, but that disappointment damaged my view of it thoroughly.

The second animated movie fared much better, though. Of course, having Casper Van Dien around always boosts the movies (hell, if I were to direct an accurate film adaptation, even I would probably cast him as Mr. Dubois, just to keep him in it).

Comment

• Hardcore Henry (2015)

"If you can hear them, but you can't shoot them, you can probably grenade them."

Interesting to watch for what it is (essentially an FPS movie), but like most, I wasn't that invested.

The A-Team (2010)

"Technically, we're not flying.
                    -I know, 'cause we falling, fool!"

No, I didn't need to 'celebrate' the 10th anniversary of the remake movie last night, but it was a good excuse to rewatch it.

...That first animated movie toyed with my emotions when the first trailer came out showing off a then unnamed trooper in what appeared to be an accurate MI suit while basically quoting the first paragraph of the book... I was so hyped that they were going to do an accurate version, but then it was just an animated sequel to the movies. Not terrible, but that disappointment damaged my view of it thoroughly....
                    Yeah. That's why I only called out those two things and that's my view of it five years later.

...The second animated movie fared much better, though. Of course, having Casper Van Dien around always boosts the movies (hell, if I were to direct an accurate film adaptation, even I would probably cast him as Mr. Dubois, just to keep him in it).
                    Wow. I misspoke. According to my Netflix account, I last caught up with the Starship franchise in 2015 and hadn't realized they did another animated movie since then. Fortunately, it's on Tubi, so I don't have to buy it to catch up.
                    Space Cop
                    The Dandy
                    Last edited by Space Cop; 06-13-2020, 04:55 PM.

Comment

• From a story standpoint, this is probably the best of the sequels.

Comment

• Once Upon a Time in Hollywood (2019)

"Don't cry in front of the Mexicans."

Loved it. As a bit of a Bruce Lee fan I could've lived without that infamous caricature, but it's interesting if you read the stuff about this, Tarantino's defense falls apart. Not only did his widow not write that Lee claimed he could be Ali (Clay) [she simply quoted a TV critic to point out Lee's cred at the time], but Bolo Yeung actually reports that they discussed that very thing and Lee admired Ali and said he could never beat him. Anyway, it's clearly in a fantasy world just like IB, so I'm still glad I bought it sight unseen.

Wolves of Wall Street (2002)

"'Can't' isn't in your vocabulary."

My full-moon werewolf pick this month and it was pretty bad. I like the concept (a grad wants to break in to a stoker firm and when he does he finds their secret to success is that they're a werewolf pack) and Eric Roberts was good as the boss of the firm, but it was slow; people act and rationalize so bizarrely, and the closest we get to seeing a transformed werewolf is guys with dark veins on their faces.
                        Space Cop
                        The Dandy
                        Last edited by Space Cop; 06-12-2020, 03:22 AM.

Comment

• Technically not a movie, but it was feature length so I'm gonna count it.
                          Just watched the season finale of the first season of Westworld.
                          Seriously good. Really well written and executed.

Comment

• [Rifftrax:] Night of the Living Dead (1968/2009)

"Clothes lines; zombies' only known natural predator."

[Rifftrax:] Cool As Ice (1991/2014)

"Cool As Ice: because 15 million of you sad bastards bought To The Extreme."

A great riff. I might get this movie just to have in the so-bad-it's-good category.
                            Space Cop
                            The Dandy
                            Last edited by Space Cop; 06-12-2020, 03:22 AM.

Comment

• Rampage (2018)

"Of course the wolf can fly."

To me, there's only two ways to do this: blatant spoof that mimics the game with hilarious commentary and mini-sketches breaking up the action; or serious attempt with obvious tongue-in-cheek parts to happily remind us we're watching a giant monster flick.

I'm glad they did this film in this manner. Game-makers and players everywhere should be proud Rampage is the way it is.

My dad did get a chuckle out of Anti-Rock, because "he didn't last long." It was also good seeing my dad again after two months or so.
                              Villain Draft 3: Fourth Place Winner

September 11, 2001; January 6, 2021; February 13, 2021

Comment

• The Beguiled (1971)

"Are you dyin', Mr. Yank?"

Starship Troopers: Traitor of Mars (2017)

"You wanna live forever, lieutenant?
                                -No, but a little longer would be okay."

From a story standpoint, this is probably the best of the sequels.
                                Yeah. The platoon vs. the larger politics worked well here. I liked it. My only gripe was that the team at the beginning were so buffoonish that they didn't fit the tone (they seemed out of a much goofier cartoon).
                                Space Cop
                                The Dandy
                                Last edited by Space Cop; 06-12-2020, 03:25 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X