Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• With the YA Raven book being a runaway success - went to a fourth printing last I checked - DC has announced a third book in the series before the sequel is even out:

Comment

• Comment

• So Titans, Flash and Swamp Thing Giant series have all had their comic shop versions axed. Making them only available again at Wal Marts.

Ironically, these titles were cancelled and relaunched with new #1s only to appease comic shops, who demanded that these titles be available for them to sell as well..so every title got relaunched, AND each title has been having two covers. A Wal Mart cover and a comic shop cover.

Swamp thing Giant #5 is cancelled for comic shops, but I just picked up #5 at my local Wal Mart last weekend. So the product IS still coming out.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hypo View Post
          Shit, I was really looking forward to this.

Comment

• Originally posted by Space Cop
            DC should just use that final page of their comics to show one of those giant foam middle fingers with the letters 'LCS' printed on it.
            Hard to blame DC for cancelling reprint books or the Giants which have been selling at like 7000 copies or less.

Originally posted by Hypo View Post
            Originally posted by Michael Heide View Post
            Shit, I was really looking forward to this.
            You know I like to think I do a good job on keeping up with DC news and I legit had no idea this was a thing.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hypo View Post
              Hard to blame DC for cancelling reprint books or the Giants which have been selling at like 7000 copies or less.

You know I like to think I do a good job on keeping up with DC news and I legit had no idea this was a thing.

#1 had been in the March Previews, #2 in April, before this whole virus thing hit critical mass. It was supposed to be the return of my favorite DC book from the 2000s (by far), with the original writer attached, tied into Bendis' Event Leviathan metaplot.

Comment

• Look, I advocate for the comic shops, but the comics companies should be able to sell their products anywhere they can, and this pandemic proves it.

"You can't sell that just as Walmart! You have to sell it here too!"

That's bullcrap. No retail outlet operates that way, unless it wants to PAY for the right to sell every product a company makes. And of course the shops ain't gonna do that!i

Is there any more info out about why DiDio was fired?

Comment

• I guess I don’t really see the point in making something exclusive to Walmart, especially as someone who lives near Walmarts (and Targets for that matter) that regularly opt not to even bother carrying items that are exclusive to them. (Frankly, that’s why I wasn’t too sad to see my local Toys R Us close down. I hate when chains negotiate exclusives, then don’t bother to stock them at all their stores. If you aren’t willing to sell it to me, why keep others from doing so?)

Comment

• Originally posted by Mister Ed View Post
                    I guess I don’t really see the point in making something exclusive to Walmart, especially as someone who lives near Walmarts (and Targets for that matter) that regularly opt not to even bother carrying items that are exclusive to them. (Frankly, that’s why I wasn’t too sad to see my local Toys R Us close down. I hate when chains negotiate exclusives, then don’t bother to stock them at all their stores. If you aren’t willing to sell it to me, why keep others from doing so?)
                    If you want to sell something, you need to make it scarce and urgent if you can. DC has the perfect right to sell something only at Walmart, and to so create a special demand for it.

Anyone could order it through Walmart's web site.

This in no way harms the comics shops. It'll just create more interest in comics among people who don't have easy access to comics shops. Vast areas of the country have Walmarts but no comics shops.

Comment

• I haven’t checked on the online availability of exclusive comics, but often other exclusive items are not available online.

Comment

• Scott Snyder and Greg Capullo's Dark Nights: Death Metal launches next week, but before it even debuts the event is growing by three new specials, all on sale in September.

The 48-page one-shots - Dark Nights: Death Metal: Trinity Crisis, Dark Nights: Death Metal: Speed Metal and Dark Nights: Death Metal: Multiverse’s End - all spring out of the events of August's Death Metal #3, while the main seven-issue series takes September off as a skip month.

Trinity Crisis #1 is one sale first on September 8, written by Snyder with art and cover by Francis Manapul.
                        "With Superman freed from his New Apokolips prison, the classic Trinity lineup is back together and ready to rock their next gig," reads DC's description.

"Wonder Woman, Batman, and Superman amp up their power to launch an assault on Castle Bat, and that’s just the warm-up act! Three walking nightmares are hidden deep inside the fortress—but these Dark Multiverse versions of the Anti-Monitor, Superboy Prime, and Darkseid hold the key to humanity's survival. The Justice League have to face down their old nemeses, but will round two be the end for our heroes?"

Speed Metal #1 follows on September 22, written by Joshua Williamson with art by Eddy Barrows and Eber Ferreira and a cover by Howard Porter.
                        "It’s the drag race from hell! Taking place after the events of Dark Nights: Death Metal, the Darkest Knight is after Wally West and his Dr. Manhattan powers," reads the description." Thankfully, Wally has back-up in the form of Barry Allen, Jay Garrick, and Wallace West! It’s a knockdown, drag-out race through the Wastelands as the Flash Family tries to stay steps ahead of the Darkest Knight and his Lightning Knights!"

Finally, Multiverse’s End #1 concludes the one-shots on September 29, written by James Tynion IV with art by Juan Gedeon and a cover by Michael Golden.
                        "Perpetua, mother of all existence, has culled all life and creation in the Multiverse, condensing all beings to one planet: Earth Prime," reads DC's description. "In her quest for power and dominance, she rules absolutely and in totality, using her children—the Monitors and Anti-Monitors—as her heralds and destructors.

"But a group of heroes has banded together across multiple worlds in a last-ditch effort to stop her from destroying all of existence: Owlman, President Superman, Iris West, Captain Carrot, Guy Gardner and others choose to make their final stand in a battle they’re destined to lose!"

Comment

• Good Lord, what is Jay Garrick wearing?

Comment

• Dollars to donuts it's a Jim Lee design.

Comment

• Yeah, I think I'll pass on those, and I say that while intending to buy and read the main series.
                              Villain Draft 3: Fourth Place Winner

September 11, 2001; January 6, 2021; February 13, 2021

Comment

• Look, you know how this goes. I occasionally get the tiniest titbit or what may be coming down the pipe from rather well-connected sources. I may not understand the whole of it, the implications, certainly not the wide picture. It was like that at DC Comics when I heard the mention of the term '5G'. Even though that was then cancelled, the greater details we got and the confirmation from the likes of Geoff Johns and Tom King all spilled out of that one mention.

So, in the spirit of that, and aware that this could lead to nothing as well as something, here is what I've been hearing this weekend. Yes, 5G is most definitely cancelled at DC Comics with kill fees paid to those who create not inconsiderable amounts of work for it. I understand that's what Robert Venditti had been working on as well, explaining why his Justice League run was intentionally short. The only other creators I'd heard solidly connected with 5G were John Ridley on Batman and Francis Manapul on Aquaman.

But something seems to be taking its place in terms of scope, if not in continuity, at DC Comics . It's also a digital comics initiative, the kind of thing that might be collected later in graphic novel format for comic stores and bookstores. Let's call the Original Digital Comics shall we?

I have heard three names mentioned at DC Comics in association with whatever this is. Warren Ellis, Chip Zdarsky and Matt Fraction. And that it may involve new versions of Superman and Batman, That is it. Nothing more. It came from well-connected comic book creators but who knows how that has changed even in that short retelling.

No one else is saying anything, and I have asked around. Instead, I have mostly been met with silence. Read in that what you will. But some may see it sit along with other DC Comics rumours, from different sources such as a move away from monthly printed comic to digital and bookstore-focused collections. But remember, when you come to this sort of thing to take it all with pinch of this stuff.
                                Hypo
                                Lil' Leaguer
                                Last edited by Hypo; 06-09-2020, 11:27 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X