The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > Green Lanternverse > Green Lantern: New Guardians/Kyle Rayner
FLASHCHAT

Kyle Rayner

Old 05-30-2010, 03:30 AM   #1
Ωmega Man
Guardian of the Universe

Exclamation 5 Reasons Kyle Needs a New Suit

1.) Green Gloves. I know what you're gonna say, the white ones are more of a Corps standard and help the ring stand out. But look at it this way.... the Banks suit had green gauntlets, Ion 1.0 had small green gloves, the Jim Lee had longer green gloves, and Ion 2.0 even had green gloves except for the Sin War Special.

2.) New/Old Symbol. Again, every suit Kyle wore up to this point had a more original Lantern badge. This latest one, while cool with a black background, is still just an average badge.

3.) No Hal-lite. Aside from the mask, not much difference between the two suits to the naked eye. When my wife sees my page of GL micros she thinks half of them look the same [Hal, Kyle, Vath, Sarrek, and some of the RPG guys].

4.) Artist's Mindset. If Kyle is like any other artist who draws super-hero costumes he's got tons of ideas in his head. I remember an interview with JG Jones about how he said he'd just draw new costumes all day if he could get paid for doing it. I know I'm the same way....

5.) New Status Quo. Kyle's costumes always changed with the Status Quo as well, and since becoming an Honor Guard he's had 3 costumes. I think it's past time somebody like Kyle came up with a new HG standard. Like a new costume color switcharound like making the suits mostly black and white with green accents [like his original suit which was something Banks originally drew for John Stewart].

I'm tired of this lame attempt at a new costume. When it was originally designed and had the shoulder bumps it had potential, but it was always just the bastard child of Hal's suit and Kyle's Jim Lee costume. Give me something fresh. Here's something I came up with right before bed for an Honor Guard uniform loosely based on Ganthet's look depending on which artist you take from....

~KL~

Last edited by Ωmega Man; 05-30-2010 at 06:55 AM.
Ωmega Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 01:16 PM   #2
Gonza2814
Green Lantern

Meh, his original costume kicked ass and he should return to it

http://www.thegreenlanterncorps.com/...read.php?t=939
Gonza2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 02:45 PM   #3
Doc2814
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Doc2814

i love his original, and his current.
Doc2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 04:02 PM   #4
Ωmega Man
Guardian of the Universe

I like all of his costumes for one reason or another, but this current one is by far the lamest.

Would fans except him taking his mask off when he's not on Earth? Would this be something people might take as part of a new costume? I almost took the mask off in the picture above, still need to work on the collar....

~KL~

Last edited by Ωmega Man; 05-30-2010 at 04:07 PM.
Ωmega Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 04:20 PM   #5
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

The character has had like 6 costumes in a 10 year period. He's been changed around so much there's absolutely no iconic value to his appearance anymore. As a Kyle fan, you WANT DC to change his costume AGAIN?

I'm not a fan of the character, and even I can see how changing it again won't serve him well.
Old 05-30-2010, 04:30 PM   #6
Ωmega Man
Guardian of the Universe

The X-Men's suits change with damn near every new creative team. That's part of what makes them iconic.

~KL~
Old 05-30-2010, 06:47 PM   #7
lokeinlyesmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kid Lantern View Post
The X-Men's suits change with damn near every new creative team. That's part of what makes them iconic.

~KL~
But the X-Men still have basic designs that flow into every costume. Wolverine always has the same style mask. Cyclops always has his visor. Rogue always has white streaks in her hair. They all have marks identifying them as the same character, even with costume changes. Some of Kyle's designs you can set side by side and have no idea those are the same character.

I actually like this costume, because of it's basic design. Kyle is part of a TEAM, a CORPS, and should have a more uniform.... uniform. Having a bizarre and different costume kinda separates him from the rest of the Corps. Why put him in a Corps if you're going to make him -that- different from everyone else? I kinda feel like Kyle-fans would be happier if he wasn't a GL at all. Give him totally special and unique super powers and a costume all his own so he's a special snowflake all the time.
Old 05-30-2010, 07:00 PM   #8
Ωmega Man
Guardian of the Universe

I bought ION. I'd buy him if he was Starheart powered. I might go as far as even reading him on the reg as a Blue Lantern.

There are PLENTY of alien GL's with some pretty original takes on the costume. Look at Arisia, Ash, Salaak, Raker, etc.... no reason Kyle couldn't stand out. I'm not saying something can't carry over again to a new suit, like his crab-mask [which in it's own way is iconic], he just needs something a little more Kyle.

~KL~
Old 05-30-2010, 08:26 PM   #9
lokeinlyesmith

Quote:
I bought ION. I'd buy him if he was Starheart powered. I might go as far as even reading him on the reg as a Blue Lantern.

There are PLENTY of alien GL's with some pretty original takes on the costume. Look at Arisia, Ash, Salaak, Raker, etc.... no reason Kyle couldn't stand out. I'm not saying something can't carry over again to a new suit, like his crab-mask [which in it's own way is iconic], he just needs something a little more Kyle.

~KL~
yeah, but with Arisia, Ash, Salaak, Raker, (I'm gonna throw Torquemada in there, just 'cause I think he's a badass) etc.... you're talking about secondary, at best, characters. They NEED to stand out for you to tell them apart. It's a story device. For a main character, especially one who's supposed to be excited about being a member of a Corps again, he should have a uniform closer to the other Earth GLs. To give him such a dramatically different costume kinda defeats the attitude he's got over being in the Corps, being a REAL GL instead of "the only" or "torchbearer". I like the idea of having Kyle on even-level with the other Earth GLs. Making him a special and unique snowflake undermines where I feel the character has been going all through BN and into BD. He's not a "special" lantern, he's not the only one, he's apart of something bigger than he is now, and he seems content with that. He keeps going down this road, and dare I say it, Kyle might end up being a READABLE character! :P
Old 05-31-2010, 01:57 AM   #10
Gauntlet101010
Alpha-Lantern

Guy Gardner has a very non-standard uniform.

I wouldn't mind seeing Kyle don a new GL costume. I remember back in the Morrison JLA days that he feels heroes should change their costumes every once in a while to keep things fresh. And that's the kind of hero Kyle seems to me. The kind who changes his look a lot.

As for the symbol, though, I think that's best left as it is. Since we have other colored corps now the look of the symbol is important.
Gauntlet101010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 04:14 AM   #11
Colonel Xonic
The Butcher

Send a message via Skype™ to Colonel Xonic

I agree. New costume, new symbol, the current is basic and boring.
Colonel Xonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 11:28 PM   #12
Ωmega Man
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by lokeinlyesmith View Post
yeah, but with Arisia, Ash, Salaak, Raker, (I'm gonna throw Torquemada in there, just 'cause I think he's a badass) etc.... you're talking about secondary, at best, characters. They NEED to stand out for you to tell them apart. It's a story device. For a main character, especially one who's supposed to be excited about being a member of a Corps again, he should have a uniform closer to the other Earth GLs. To give him such a dramatically different costume kinda defeats the attitude he's got over being in the Corps, being a REAL GL instead of "the only" or "torchbearer".
He's no more excited to be part of the Corps today as he was in say.... Recharged. He should be past all of those "I'm one of the guys!" feelings and be himself. I feel in a world where Hal has his own title and supporting roles in books like JLoA, and Guy has his own series, that Kyle needs to stand out now more than ever so he's not lost in the shuffle. His costume isn't closer to the other GL's, just Hal's. Same boots and gloves [depending on if Hal's are pointed] and a mostly green torso. John has the mostly black suit with green gauntlets and bare hands, while Guy's suit is formerly the Fists of the Guardians' suits.

The line from JLA Secret Files and Origins #1 says it all:

Kyle: "I like it." [in reference to Superman's blue electric suit]

Wally: "You would."

Kyle: "Changing suits once in awhile keeps everything fresh."

He's an artist, he NEEDS change. Keep the crab-mask if you have to but don't hold the character back just because Hal's in the picture. Aside from Kyle sketching dead GL's and trying to paint a mural on the Oan walls you wouldn't even know he was an artist. But here lately there's not even that many references to Hal being in the Air Force....

~KL~
Old 05-31-2010, 11:55 PM   #13
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

Screw it. You talked me into it. DCD JUST got a figure out of Kyle in his current costume...time to change it again! Put him in something fruity that doesn't look like the typical model for a Green Lantern Corps member (green torso, green boots, black arms and legs, and white gloves). Why not?
Old 06-01-2010, 12:11 AM   #14
lokeinlyesmith

Quote:
But here lately there's not even that many references to Hal being in the Air Force....
Well, they -have- been kinda busy, with a whole WAR and all these other corps popping up... plus all those dead guys... kinda hard to find time for the mundane things in the middle of all that. :P

I dunno. I just think Kyle's spent his entire career as a GL being special and standing out, and I've hated every moment of it. Now that he's becoming more of a part of the Corps instead of some special and unique snowflake, I'm liking him more. Now you want him changed up and special again. Give the character some stability.
Old 06-01-2010, 12:37 AM   #15
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lokeinlyesmith View Post
I dunno. I just think Kyle's spent his entire career as a GL being special and standing out, and I've hated every moment of it. Now that he's becoming more of a part of the Corps instead of some special and unique snowflake, I'm liking him more. Now you want him changed up and special again. Give the character some stability.
Nope. New costume. Every six months. Time for a petition!
Old 06-01-2010, 01:32 AM   #16
Ωmega Man
Guardian of the Universe

He DOESN'T have to be special, become the torch bearer again, or be a "snowflake!" I just think he needs a new suit that's more Kyle Rayner and less Hal Jordan.

Part of what makes the character iconic isn't just his crab-mask, its the constant change of appearance. Except for now that he's a GL full-time he doesn't need a special ring or an entity inside of him. A new suit every few years is enough. Unless something is made that is a real keeper and cool with the Kyle fans. And by Kyle fans I don't mean the people that only read him when he's in a Hal book.... I mean the fans like myself who enjoyed reading about and watching the character grow over the 10-15 years he's been around.

~KL~
Old 06-01-2010, 02:50 AM   #17
Dr. Naysay
Guardian of the Universe

Kyle Rayner should get his own book.

Call it Shoe Shopping With Kyle or hell... make it a Connor, Wally, Roy and Kyle book and just call it Sex And The City and be done with it.
Dr. Naysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 03:09 AM   #18
Nite Owl
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Naysay View Post
hell... make it a Connor, Wally, Roy and Kyle book and just call it Sex And The City and be done with it.
LMFAO!!!
Nite Owl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 05:39 AM   #19
lokeinlyesmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Naysay View Post
Kyle Rayner should get his own book.

Call it Shoe Shopping With Kyle or hell... make it a Connor, Wally, Roy and Kyle book and just call it Sex And The City and be done with it.
I love this man. In a completely hetero-way, I have a serious man crush on Naysay. Just sayin'.
Old 06-01-2010, 05:42 AM   #20
Smoke Dogg
Major Force's Dinner Date

Quote:

oh man those suits look hella gay and that's on the real, ya erd. why you do my nig John like that?
Smoke Dogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 11:17 AM   #21
Ωmega Man
Guardian of the Universe

I've always thought a 3 of a Kind book would work for Kyle, Wally, and Connor. Give it to Marz or Morrison and it'd be a hit.

SD, I just threw a similar suit on John for shits and giggles. If it was a new Honor Guard standard or something I'd see John falling in line. I'm still working on the collars.... it didn't look too bad on paper.

~KL~
Old 06-01-2010, 05:49 PM   #22
havik
Torch Bearer

Send a message via Yahoo to havik

while i think there should be a costume change for the honor gaurd it has nothing to do wit kyle himself the honor guard should stand out as different the title does give them a name that requires something special in the sense of their apperance this way when they get involved it kind of tells people this is an important moment
havik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 06:43 PM   #23
MunkyX
Kyle's Nude Model

My favorite Kyle costume was his post Ion one... he had adjusted his ring to be even more unique... and he seemed to hit a new level of maturity based on a new understanding of his powers and place in the universe. It also shows off his newer logo... which has become more standard... and now recently passed onto a reborn Sodam Yat...

MunkyX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 02:39 AM   #24
Jeffi.Kaiser
Guy's Designated Dr

Quote:

~KL~
I see what youre doing with making them look more like Ganthet, but just make the white more of a dark gray and I think those would look pretty awesome.
Old 06-02-2010, 11:13 PM   #25
Ωmega Man
Guardian of the Universe

Fixed the collars, tweaked John's suit to look a little more like his last one, and added Arisia.

I like taking the black out of the color scheme. I've always liked Arisia's outfit and LOVED the original Ion.

~KL~