Announcement

Collapse

The point of this Forum Section

Some members are a little iffy on what should go in the Games & Humor forum section so.

Trivial games like "the person above you game" should be placed in this forum.

Humor of all kinds also belongs here, like the "Superman has a problem with kinky sex" thread.

What does not belong here would be things like video games, board games. Or humor coming directly out of comic books or discussion of books.

Boardgames and the like would go in the Action Figure and Toys section as could video games, though those could also be posted in the General Forum Section.

also any posts in this Forum Section do not count towards your post count.

Hope that helps!
See more
See less

November's 30 Day Challenge: Star Trek

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2. Favorite First Officer

With all due respect to the late, great Mr. Nimoy, I do love Spock, but William Riker is my favorite post-TOS character overall.

I'm sure that's partly because he's the most Kirk-like of the next gen shows--pure Starfleet, but decisive and ready to rumble at a moment's notice. Plus, he was supposed to be one of the best pilots in Starfleet (though they didn't always seem to remember that). He also has that touch of James Bond with his flirtatious nature.

Heck, he was probably even one of the reasons I grew a beard (though hopefully my stepdad was a bigger factor in associating beards with manliness).
    Space Cop
    The Dandy
    Last edited by Space Cop; 11-02-2015, 02:34 PM.

Comment

You make the best case I've heard for choosing somebody besides Spock...but I still choose Spock.

Comment

Originally posted by Mister Ed View Post
        You make the best case I've heard for choosing somebody besides Spock...but I still choose Spock.
        Well, if it's facial hair line that's swaying you, you could always go with Mirror Spock.

Comment

Originally posted by Space Cop View Post

With all due respect to the late, great Mr. Nimoy, I do love Spock, but William Riker is my favorite post-TOS character overall.

I'm sure that's partly because he's the most Kirk-like of the next gen shows--pure Starfleet, but decisive and ready to rumble at a moment's notice. Plus, he was supposed to be one of the best pilots in Starfleet (though they didn't always seem to remember that). He also has that touch of James Bond with his flirtatious nature.

Heck, he was probably even one of the reasons I grew a beard (though hopefully my stepdad was a bigger factor in associating beards with manliness).
          You're the only person I know who's favorite character is also Riker lol. All of my ST watching friends hate him!

Comment

Originally posted by Booster Beetle View Post
            You're the only person I know who's favorite character is also Riker lol. All of my ST watching friends hate him!
            Well, overall my favorite is Bones (which gives away two future picks), but as I say, Riker is my favorite from TNG on. I come across that Riker hate sometimes too and I don't get it. I guess he's perceived as kind of bland, but in my mind that just means he succeeds without a gimmick; he's not an alien or even foreign (to America, where the show is made), he's not an android, emotionless, or what have you. But, he's a great pilot, he's cool under pressure, he takes charge and people listen, and he was highly desired in Starfleet for various command positions. He's a man's man.

Comment

I confess, I find it a bit odd, too. Out of all the people on Next Gen, I always felt like Riker was really the most unremarkable. Not my least favorite, mind you, not by any means, but he didn't seem to stand out much in the crowd. I guess you could have something with his getting the job done without a gimmick, but I dunno. I so often ENJOYED the gimmicks.

Comment

I have to go with Mr Spock. As amazing as Riker is, Spock was the shit.

I liked the Star Trek tv show in rerun form as a kid, but would get into Trek more when I got older. When Star Trek II came out in 1982 I was 8 years old, and my grandparents took me to see it on opening night. I fell in love with Spock that night. He gave his life to save his crew! And in such a well done way with how he leaves the bridge all the way until he and Kirk say goodbye at the end. That movie is still my favorite of the entire movie series. Also loved part II and how it dealt with getting Spock back.

I also love how Spock Kirk and McCoy interact with each other. I'm big on trinities with characters in casts; Cap Iron Man in Avengers, Supes, Bats and WW in JLA, GL, Flash and Hawkman in JSA, etc. Those three on Star Trek are a great example.

Comment

3. Favorite Doctor

Doctor Doom, of course! Haha

It would be Bones, because if I ever became a space Doctor, that's how I would be. An old curmudgeon with a big heart.

Comment

3. Favorite Doctor

Dammit, man, he's a doctor, not a survey choice.

Bones (Cmdr. Leonard H. McCoy, CMO).
                    Space Cop
                    The Dandy
                    Last edited by Space Cop; 11-03-2015, 02:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Space Cop View Post
                      3. Favorite Doctor

Damnit, man, he's a doctor, not a survey choice.

Bones (Cmdr. Leonard H. McCoy, CMO).
                      Is there really any other choice?

Comment

I feel compelled to pick Bones as well, though I want to give an honorable mention to The Doctor, from Voyager. I thought he was a really interesting character with a good arc.

Comment

Originally posted by Mister Ed View Post
                          I feel compelled to pick Bones as well, though I want to give an honorable mention to The Doctor, from Voyager. I thought he was a really interesting character with a good arc.
                          I remember being very happy for him when he got the device to let him off ship, as if he were real and I wanted him to have some freedom.

Comment

Originally posted by Booster Beetle View Post
                            Is there really any other choice?
                            Haha, yes and no, friend.

Dr. Crusher went through some interesting ordeals while on D and E, and her performance in the TNG movies was awesome.

Dr. Bashir would be a very close second for me because of just who he is (Kahn on a medical level) plus the strange and twisted friendship he had with Garak. When those two sat down to talk, the discussion was ALWAYS full of intrigue, mystery, and endless possibilities.

Voyager's Doctor's sarcasm was awesome, but certainly not my favorite crew member from that show.

I never really watched Enterprise so I can't give a non-biased opinion on him.

Comment

3. Favorite doctor

There is only one correct choice. This one isn't even subjective.

Comment

Bones gets extra points because, IMHO, he is also the old character that was pulled off best in the NuTrek movies. I could actually see Karl Urban's Bones becoming DeForest Kelly's Bones some years down the road. I'm not sure I could say that honestly about any of the other characters in those movies.

Comment

Working...
                                X