No announcement yet.

Best Artwork of All Volumes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Broderick's work is really hit or miss for me. Sometimes his stuff looked incredible, and other times it was totally ugly. And his women were sometimes just unattractive when I think they were actually supposed to look good.

I feel the same way about Ethan Van Sciver, including the part about the women. Sometimes some of the stuff he does is really breathtaking, while other times it's either too noticeably off, or so overdone it becomes unappealing. He strikes me as the kind of person who primarily learned to draw looking at 90s comic books, and not really drawing from life. That's not necessarily bad, per se, but it can cause some drawbacks. He's obviously very skilled and can do impressive things, but then there are sometimes these massive flaws that seem like someone who has been drawing for as long as he has and at his level should have worked out by now.

From Broderick's period, I prefer M.D. Bright. I think he was more considerably more consistent and I like his general style more. And from Van Sciver's, I think Ivan Reis is an overall stronger artist.

I was looking at some of Daryl Banks' GL work again about last week and he really was incredible. One of the better Green Lantern artists, in my opinion. Pelletier was great, too.
    ZATSWAN.COM Zatswan: Multiversal Guardian, the brand new cosmic comic book, now available!

Comment

I haven't ready too much GL before vol.4 but if I had to rank some of the artists from Johns run I would go:

1. Ethan Van Sciver
      2. Ivan Reis
      3. Carlos Pacheco
      4. Shane Davis
      5. Doug Mahnke
      6. Phillip Tan
      7. Mike McKone
      CeltiC5-27
      Weaponer of Qward
      Last edited by CeltiC5-27; 12-16-2015, 03:51 PM.
      Green Lantern's Light!

https://twitter.com/CeltiC527

Comment

Shane Davis is pretty good I am picking up his creator owned book right now, and I am surprised I forgot about Pacheco, I love his work but don't initially think of him as a Green Lantern Artist, love Avengers Forever and his Superman/Batman arc. He doesn't break into my top 4 but is very good.

Comment

Originally posted by EmeraldGladiator View Post
          Shane Davis is pretty good I am picking up his creator owned book right now, and I am surprised I forgot about Pacheco, I love his work but don't initially think of him as a Green Lantern Artist, love Avengers Forever and his Superman/Batman arc. He doesn't break into my top 4 but is very good.
          Yeah I really loved what Davis brought to GL in his short run.

And yeah Pacheco also had just a few issues on GL but I really enjoyed what he did and I'm a big fan of his Hal.

Green Lantern's Light!

https://twitter.com/CeltiC527

Comment

Originally posted by CeltiC5-27 View Post
            Yeah I really loved what Davis brought to GL in his short run.

And yeah Pacheco also had just a few issues on GL but I really enjoyed what he did and I'm a big fan of his Hal.

That's some terrific art, I wasn't familiar with that artist before (definitely checking him out, thanks!).

There are so many great GL artists. I can't choose between Reis and Sciver. Mahnke was really good too, imo.

For the Corps, I'm a HUGE fan of Pasarin.

Please understand, I'm just now collecting the 80s and 90s GL comics, so I'm not as familiar, and I've not even started pre-80s.

Comment

Based on the original post, I agree, I think volume four has been the strongest overall as far as quality throughout the series, but a few Hall of Famers (Gil Kane, and Neal Adams, and Mike Grell) make the second volume a solid contender. The second volume suffers due to being around longer, offering more chances for less than top tier talent.

But Reis is awesome, EVS, and I like the mention of Shane Davis, despite the short time on the book. Pacheco was solid, and I got used to Mahnke, who is really good, just a drop off (to me) after those top three.
              “Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will.” ― Mahatma Gandhi

Comment

Originally posted by Lundonj View Post
                Based on the original post, I agree, I think volume four has been the strongest overall as far as quality throughout the series, but a few Hall of Famers (Gil Kane, and Neal Adams, and Mike Grell) make the second volume a solid contender. The second volume suffers due to being around longer, offering more chances for less than top tier talent.

But Reis is awesome, EVS, and I like the mention of Shane Davis, despite the short time on the book. Pacheco was solid, and I got used to Mahnke, who is really good, just a drop off (to me) after those top three.
                I think Mahnke had some huge shoes to fill. Still, seeing his name on a GL or GLC trade sure doesn't deter me from buying. Same with Pat Gleason; neither are Reis or Sciver or Kane or Adams...but still very good imo, and more than worth checking out.

I'm just really getting into Shane's work, that guy has a LOT of talent!

Comment

Originally posted by KilowogsDisciple View Post
                  I think Mahnke had some huge shoes to fill. Still, seeing his name on a GL or GLC trade sure doesn't deter me from buying. Same with Pat Gleason; neither are Reis or Sciver or Kane or Adams...but still very good imo, and more than worth checking out.

I'm just really getting into Shane's work, that guy has a LOT of talent!
                  Gleason, to me, is highly underrated - he has a specific, stylized (not as 'realistic') look, but I like it. And he is one of the few really good modern artists with 'action' scenes, he can throw a sweet comic panel punch. A lost art with a lot of guys trying to draw mini non-action posters in every scene.
                  “Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will.” ― Mahatma Gandhi

Comment

Originally posted by Lundonj View Post
                    Gleason, to me, is highly underrated - he has a specific, stylized (not as 'realistic') look, but I like it. And he is one of the few really good modern artists with 'action' scenes, he can throw a sweet comic panel punch. A lost art with a lot of guys trying to draw mini non-action posters in every scene.
                    You make me think of Reis with the last (I do love his art, though). Gleason is far from a dealbreaker for me, really good artist. And of course I've seen lesser work from guys like Reis and Lee. It's just when they're completely ON (the early JL with Johns comes right to mind), I'm can't get enough. I am a heavy admirer of what Lee did with Batman, though I can't say the story thrilled me. That's one of the few novels I keep around just for the art.

Comment

Can we agree overall, Volume 5 is probably the worst?
                      Originally posted by IonFan
                      (even if the ear sucking helped get me off faster)
                      Originally posted by Big Daddy Caesar
                      If I had things like the internet and a laptop as a kid, I never would have left my room as a teenager.
                      Originally posted by Quaker
                      I am the Geoff Johns of the GLCMB.

Comment

Originally posted by Deadpool View Post
                        I'm actually waiting for the 3rd Omnibus to come out in a couple of months (though I've been keeping up on the last few issues of GL and the annual). Tan isn't my favorite artist, but he's alright. I think his main problem is that some of the best ever GL artists preceeded him, and they were mostly INCREDIBLY good imo.

Comment

I'm actually waiting for the 3rd Omnibus to come out in a couple of months (though I've been keeping up on the last few issues of GL and the annual). Tan isn't my favorite artist, but he's alright. I think his main problem is that some of the best ever GL artists preceeded him, and they were mostly INCREDIBLY good imo.
                          Oh, Tan's awful. Awful awful awful.

LOOK AT THE MASK!
                          Originally posted by IonFan
                          (even if the ear sucking helped get me off faster)
                          Originally posted by Big Daddy Caesar
                          If I had things like the internet and a laptop as a kid, I never would have left my room as a teenager.
                          Originally posted by Quaker
                          I am the Geoff Johns of the GLCMB.

Comment

Oh, Tan's awful. Awful awful awful.

LOOK AT THE MASK!
                            No disrespect intended, I personally think that looks kind of bad ass.

But hey, I don't know anything, I'm a newbie.

Comment

To this point? Yeah, I can go with that. Worst to me in a string of really good runs isn't as bad as it sounds. And, while I think Tan isn't up in the realm of great GL artists, I don't hate him like some folks do. Pretty average at times, better on other pages.

I'm always careful about wishing an artist off a book, because I'm not sure if the one on the series will be better or worse.

For top ten DC book, I would think they would put a higher profile name in the hat or at least a new, up and coming artist.

-Don

Comment

You make me think of Reis with the last (I do love his art, though). Gleason is far from a dealbreaker for me, really good artist. And of course I've seen lesser work from guys like Reis and Lee. It's just when they're completely ON (the early JL with Johns comes right to mind), I'm can't get enough. I am a heavy admirer of what Lee did with Batman, though I can't say the story thrilled me. That's one of the few novels I keep around just for the art.
                                Jim Lee is a hall of famer for sure, but sometimes art cannot save a bad story. Sometimes. But Lee has certainly elevated some mediocre tales.

Comment

Working...
                                X