The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > Green Lanternverse > Green Lantern Vol. 4
FLASHCHAT

GL Volume 4

Old 05-01-2009, 04:33 PM   #51
Marvelous Iggy
God Of Turtles

Send a message via Skype™ to Marvelous Iggy

I agree, No one can read a story arc thats more than eight issues, but I do dare somebody to read GJ entire GL run when Blackest Night Finishes
Marvelous Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 06:24 AM   #52
Rod12
Kilowog's Recruit

I like the idea of Absolute Green Lantern: Rebirth and I'm big fan of Geoff Johns and he is my favorite comic book writer. However instead of doing a Absolute Green Lantern: Rebirth should't they do a Absolute Green Lantern Edition that has all of Geoff Johns Green Lantern stories in one book because he said Rebirth, Sinestro Corps War and The Blackest Night are a trilogy and you can also add the story arcs that were written in between Rebirth and Sinestro Corps War and the story arcs that were written in between Sinestro Corps War and The Blackest Night. An even add the story arcs from the Green Lantern Corps Comic Book Series that connect to the same giant story. Now that would make a great Absolute Green Lantern Geoff Johns Comic Book to buy instead of just Absolute Green Lantern: Rebirth.
Rod12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 04:23 PM   #53
W.West

Send a message via AIM to W.West Send a message via Yahoo to W.West Send a message via Skype™ to W.West

Because "Absolute" is for the Greatest stories. Its not a deluxe edition of a volume. Its supposed to be the best of the best.
Old 05-12-2009, 05:34 PM   #54
Limelantern
Better than both the Salami and the Bologna combined

Send a message via Skype™ to Limelantern

What is so "Absolute" about it anyway?
Old 05-13-2009, 04:10 AM   #55
Raker616
Corps Honor Guard

Beats me, but Green Lantern Rebirth would more than qualify on it's own merit as a great story it becomes more evident as it's importance increases almost 5 years in with Blackest Night on the horizon.
Old 04-21-2010, 02:53 PM   #56
W.West

Send a message via AIM to W.West Send a message via Yahoo to W.West Send a message via Skype™ to W.West

Released today.

DC didn't read this, but hopefully they'll read this.
Old 04-21-2010, 03:00 PM   #57
JohnnyV
Pictionary Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.West View Post
Released today.

DC didn't read this, but hopefully they'll read this.
you need to buy a shirt that says, "My Morrison bias is showing"..

Instead of stating, 'Which stories deserve absolute editions?' The question should be 'Why should there be absolute editions in the first place?'

They remind me of the senseless 'Collectors Editions' versions of video games where they pack in shit that isn't nearly as valuable as the price they add onto it. And they rely on the excitement of comic book fans to eat it up.

Just say No! to Absolutes.

Follow The Nobodies Comic on Facebook or Twitter
JohnnyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 03:17 PM   #58
W.West

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyV View Post
you need to buy a shirt that says, "My Morrison bias is showing"..

Instead of stating, 'Which stories deserve absolute editions?' The question should be 'Why should there be absolute editions in the first place?'

They remind me of the senseless 'Collectors Editions' versions of video games where they pack in shit that isn't nearly as valuable as the price they add onto it. And they rely on the excitement of comic book fans to eat it up.

Just say No! to Absolutes.

Its not just about value. Its about QUALITY. High quality stories with high quality art. These aren't repackaged videogames with a new cover, its much more than that. Its sketches, notes, larger higher quality pages, and its SUPPOSED to be one of the best stories told ever.
Old 04-21-2010, 03:25 PM   #59
JohnnyV
Pictionary Master

Quote:
Its not just about value. Its about QUALITY. High quality stories with high quality art. These aren't repackaged videogames with a new cover, its much more than that. Its sketches, notes, larger higher quality pages, and its SUPPOSED to be one of the best stories told ever.
well, that sounds a lot like what is put in collector's editions (extra art, commentaties..etc). But my point is the value of these additions don't match what is paid for.

The quality of the stories, and whether you enjoy them or not are subjective by nature. While you can argue what's quality or not, it's hard to argue how important that series has been in the overall story of GL. And look now, as the DCU has been shaped by a story who's origins started with GL. It makes sense that the series which started it all would be made into Absolute. Hell, you could attribute the making of the GL movie back to Rebirth as well.

Old 04-21-2010, 03:48 PM   #60
W.West

Quote:
well, that sounds a lot like what is put in collector's editions (extra art, commentaties..etc). But my point is the value of these additions don't match what is paid for.

The quality of the stories, and whether you enjoy them or not are subjective by nature. While you can argue what's quality or not, it's hard to argue how important that series has been in the overall story of GL. And look now, as the DCU has been shaped by a story who's origins started with GL. It makes sense that the series which started it all would be made into Absolute. Hell, you could attribute the making of the GL movie back to Rebirth as well.
That's NOT why Absolute were made though! Its not a continuity factor. Its not the importance factor. 99% of this site probably has never read Ronin. Its not about what's popular right now, its about a story that will stand the test of time. A story that equals the level of quality of the ones granted before it. Its about reading a story in a full collection that looks...absolutely....magnificent. Anything going on in the DCU is irrelevant. If Geoff Johns left the company on terrible terms, this story should still be collected in this form. IF it truly deserved the title of Absolute Edition.

Its an HONOR. It SHOULD have nothing to do with current things, and as I made mention to in the post previously, its quite clear that they are just taking advantage of Johns popularity. When they should be taking advantage of what the prestige of being called "Absolute" means for a collection.
Old 04-21-2010, 03:58 PM   #61
JohnnyV
Pictionary Master

Quote:
That's NOT why Absolute were made though! Its not a continuity factor. Its not the importance factor. 99% of this site probably has never read Ronin. Its not about what's popular right now, its about a story that will stand the test of time. A story that equals the level of quality of the ones granted before it. Its about reading a story in a full collection that looks...absolutely....magnificent. Anything going on in the DCU is irrelevant. If Geoff Johns left the company on terrible terms, this story should still be collected in this form. IF it truly deserved the title of Absolute Edition.

Its an HONOR. It SHOULD have nothing to do with current things, and as I made mention to in the post previously, its quite clear that they are just taking advantage of Johns popularity. When they should be taking advantage of what the prestige of being called "Absolute" means for a collection.
Well, I'm not arguing with you directly about what should or shouldn't be, but what is. Things like Absolute Editions are made to make money, and no matter how good a story is if it didn't warrant attention from readers then it won't get an Absolute Edition.

Trying to decided upon Absolutes based on quality alone will leave you running in circles because it will never happen. That's not saying that quality series won't be made into Absolutes, but that being the only factor will never be the case. It's a sad but true fact that many high quality stories fall between the cracks, and never get realized by people. I feel that way about much of Azzarello's work, who's love I've shouted from the rooftops on the forum.

Old 04-21-2010, 04:13 PM   #62
W.West

Quote:
Well, I'm not arguing with you directly about what should or shouldn't be, but what is. Things like Absolute Editions are made to make money, and no matter how good a story is if it didn't warrant attention from readers then it won't get an Absolute Edition.

Trying to decided upon Absolutes based on quality alone will leave you running in circles because it will never happen. That's not saying that quality series won't be made into Absolutes, but that being the only factor will never be the case. It's a sad but true fact that many high quality stories fall between the cracks, and never get realized by people. I feel that way about much of Azzarello's work, who's love I've shouted from the rooftops on the forum.
My problem is that if you look at what has been collected in Absolute Edition already, then you can argue that they GET IT RIGHT. When you check out this list in a year...GL: Rebirth will be glaring back at you and you'll wonder "Why the hell did they go through with this?" The prestige of ABSOLUTE sells itself. Not to mention, the majority of these stories were already insanely popular so adding the excuse of "Its a money grab." is thin.

Another problem with it, is that the story could just be collected in DELUXE Edition! Deluxe Edition hardcovers look fucking fantastic! They cost one-third of what this Absolute will cost and makes more sense given its shortage of issues justifying that $75 price tag. Fuck this decision. Geoff and Ethan told a good story, maybe even great. The story is continuously mentioned as the starting point to something great. And while that's subjective, its not comparable to ANYTHING else published in Absolute Edition(excluding Danger Girl and Death only because I have yet to read them).
Old 04-21-2010, 05:23 PM   #63
JohnnyV
Pictionary Master

It should be noted that I do agree with you btw. Of the stories I've read in the far, far past (early-late 90's), and what I've been catching up on recently, I wouldn't put Rebirth as an Absolute even though I really liked it.

Of course, what I'd like to see in absolute is far different than just about anything that anyone else would want to see. So, let the kids have their Rebirth.

Old 04-21-2010, 06:31 PM   #64
W.West

With all respect to Geoff and Ethan for a story well done..."letting the kids have their Rebirth" tarnishes what it stood for. and that makes me sad.
Old 04-21-2010, 07:03 PM   #65
Raker616
Corps Honor Guard

If GL Rebirth isn't worthy of an absolute edition than no comic is, get over whatever your bias is with Johns or the story and realise that alot of people love GL Rebirth and it fits whatever criteria a comic needs to get this special edition.
Old 04-22-2010, 12:41 AM   #66
TorchBearer2814
Corps Honor Guard

put an order in for one.
Old 04-22-2010, 03:07 AM   #67
W.West

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raker616 View Post
If GL Rebirth isn't worthy of an absolute edition than no comic is, get over whatever your bias is with Johns or the story and realise that alot of people love GL Rebirth and it fits whatever criteria a comic needs to get this special edition.
Shut your mouth. Or rather, break your fingers. Because you should do some thinking before you go telling me I have some sort of bias with Johns. From the very start, I have said nothing but praise about GL: Rebirth and its creators. Read what I have to say IN FULL before you go waving your Geoff Johns designed flag crying about some bullshit bias.

Last edited by W.West; 04-22-2010 at 03:13 AM.
W.West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 03:12 AM   #68
DougG_ATL
Senior Corps Member

SIMMA DOWN NOW!
DougG_ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 04:28 AM   #69
Raker616
Corps Honor Guard

Quote:
Shut your mouth. Or rather, break your fingers. Because you should do some thinking before you go telling me I have some sort of bias with Johns. From the very start, I have said nothing but praise about GL: Rebirth and its creators. Read what I have to say IN FULL before you go waving your Geoff Johns designed flag crying about some bullshit bias.
Really then what is the problem because if you like GL Rebirth and realise the improtance and quality of the story then why is it getting an absolute version anything to complain about?. People know I hate FC but if they made an absolute about that I wouldn't complain because it's not really that big a deal in the end.

Last edited by Raker616; 04-22-2010 at 05:01 AM.
Raker616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 03:14 PM   #70
GLSteveW
Sinestro's Sparring Partner

Send a message via AIM to GLSteveW Send a message via Yahoo to GLSteveW

I bought this, with Ethan's autograph on it. I should have read this thread first, so the comic book elitists could tell me what I should and should not enjoy.

Another Lame Comic Blog!
GLSteveW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 05:57 AM   #71
Aberration
Sinestro's Sparring Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLSteveW View Post
I bought this, with Ethan's autograph on it. I should have read this thread first, so the comic book elitists could tell me what I should and should not enjoy.
Any chance you could share your thoughts on the collection? What extras does this have? Is this worth a purchase if you already have a previous version of Rebirth in some form?
Aberration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 08:05 AM   #72
GLC2814.4

I bought one, because I can
Old 04-23-2010, 08:41 AM   #73
Bruce Castle
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLC2814.4 View Post
I bought one, because I can
Can you buy me one? Sounds like you're awfully rich.
Old 04-23-2010, 09:22 AM   #74
FrEaKjOkErXXX
Torch Bearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Castle View Post
Can you buy me one? Sounds like you're awfully rich.
Me too please!
FrEaKjOkErXXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 12:44 PM   #75
Doc2814
Anti-Monitor

Send a message via AIM to Doc2814

I'll pick up the Absolute Rebirth, but I just wish it included stuff like No Fear and other things.

I'm a leaf on the wind...
Doc2814 is offline   Reply With Quote