The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > Miscellaneous > Movies & TV
FLASHCHAT

Movies and TV

Old 07-24-2012, 03:25 PM   #476
Space Cop
The Dandy

This is a 1988 documentary on the making of TCM. It was pretty interesting to me but is probably only for the real fans of the movie since it's just straight-up interviews of the actors (not well presented or edited).
Old 07-24-2012, 03:48 PM   #477
Lex Luthor
Corps Honor Guard

Ah, yes. The Texas Chainsaw Massacre: Family Portrait.

First time I had ever seen the original TCM, I must have been either 12 or 13. Absolutely loved it, and once I got word of this documentary, I set out to find it and got lucky enough to find a copy in those pre-internet boom days. Much easier to find documentaries now.
Lex Luthor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 03:56 PM   #478
Space Cop
The Dandy

Yeah, this is on Instant Netflix.

It is actually very interesting, it's just not what I'd call a dynamic documentary.
Old 07-24-2012, 03:58 PM   #479
Lex Luthor
Corps Honor Guard

Indeed. Only the more interested fans apply.
Lex Luthor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 03:12 PM   #480
Space Cop
The Dandy

Jonathan Rhys Meyers to play Dracula

Quote:
...[I]n this version, Dracula will arrive in London, where he poses as an American entrepreneur and scientist. Of course, that is but a ruse. Dracula's real goal is to exact revenge on the people who ruined his life many years before. Dracula then falls for a woman who appears to be the reincarnation of his dead wife. Insiders have called the series “‘Dangerous Liaisons’ meets ‘The Tudors.’”...
Old 08-01-2012, 01:35 PM   #481
Space Cop
The Dandy

I've now seen all of Showtime's Masters of Horror series (2005-7). I didn't dislike any of them. Some of I loved (Family, Incident On and Off a Mountain Road, The Washingtonians). They just expired on Instant Netflix, which is why I've watched like 8 in the last week.

For those unfamiliar with the series, it was actually a set of 26 one-hour movies aired on Showtime over two seasons. Mick Garris took established horror directors (hence the title) and gave them each an hour with KNB always doing the effects. Most took other people's scripts (Clive Barker's writing popped up a few times) but a few did their own. Some of the "masters" were more recent with less under their belt (Lucky McKee) but others were the "biggies" (John Carpenter, Joe Dante, Tobe Hooper, John Landis). Unfortunately George Romero never did one (he did get a co-credit) due to scheduling conflicts (right when he was making then promoting Land of the Dead).

Anyway, I highly recommend them for horror fans. There was a follow-up (Fear Itself) I have yet to watch, but I'm not expecting it to be as good since it was on Network television.

BTW: I think the opening titles were cool and spooky.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Old 08-01-2012, 02:53 PM   #482
Deadpool
Fight like a man: with your words, not your fists.

Did anyone watch American Horror story? It was good, and that had spooky opening titles too!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy Caesar View Post
If I had things like the internet and a laptop as a kid, I never would have left my room as a teenager.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaker View Post
I am the Geoff Johns of the GLCMB.
Deadpool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 01:58 AM   #483
Space Cop
The Dandy

Vampires (1998)

"Can I ask ya somethin, Padre? When I was kickin? your ass back there... you get a little wood?"

I think this movie is underrated both as one of Carpenter's and as a vampire flick. The scene where Valek attacks the team was shocking the first time I saw it and is still one of the coolest vampire scenes in a movie. A lot of the dialogue is corny/cliche, but it's still fun.

Old 09-11-2012, 02:07 AM   #484
Abin Surly
or ewe sirius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Cop View Post
I think this movie is underrated both as one of Carpenter's and as a vampire flick. The scene where Valek attacks the team was shocking the first time I saw it and is still one of the coolest vampire scenes in a movie. A lot of the dialogue is corny/cliche, but it's still fun.

I really enjoyed this one. Managed to mix comedy and horror really well...and best of all, no one fucking sparkled.
Old 09-11-2012, 12:22 PM   #485
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abin Surly View Post
I really enjoyed this one. Managed to mix comedy and horror really well...and best of all, no one fucking sparkled.
Woods' character even takes a swipe at Anne Rice's vampires (Twilight didn't exist yet), but to be fair Lestat would've been harder to kill than these guys.
Old 09-11-2012, 01:00 PM   #486
Abin Surly
or ewe sirius

Quote:
Woods' character even takes a swipe at Anne Rice's vampires (Twilight didn't exist yet), but to be fair Lestat would've been harder to kill than these guys.
Well, Lestat did manage did get "almost killed" by a neurotic vampire and a fledgling.
Old 09-11-2012, 01:26 PM   #487
Space Cop
The Dandy

"Claudia, you've been a very .... very ... naughty little girl!"

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Old 09-11-2012, 01:32 PM   #488
Abin Surly
or ewe sirius

Quote:
"Claudia, you've been a very .... very ... naughty little girl!"
My favorite scene in the film. Tom, in that same make-up, would have made a much better Frankenstein than De Niro, since it fits Shelley's description much better.
Old 09-11-2012, 10:24 PM   #489
Deadpool
Fight like a man: with your words, not your fists.

Watched the Amityville horror 2011 remake a couple nights ago. It was done in the style of paranormal activity. A good film.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy Caesar View Post
If I had things like the internet and a laptop as a kid, I never would have left my room as a teenager.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaker View Post
I am the Geoff Johns of the GLCMB.
Deadpool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 02:07 AM   #490
Space Cop
The Dandy

The Amittyville Haunting? Haven't seen it yet. Seen a bunch of Amitty movies, though.
Old 09-12-2012, 02:36 AM   #491
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

Interview was pretty good. I still pop in in from time to time. Makes me sad that the sequel turned out so poorly; I really wanted them to make a trilogy out of the first three books.
Old 09-12-2012, 08:35 AM   #492
Frank Castle
Alpha-Lantern

Didn't they make some shitty cheap sequels to Vampires? I actually did enjoy the woods movie, bit strange it never got a true sequel, then again neither did Dusk Till Dawn with again straight to DVD stuff.

I cant think of any Vampire movies I've enjoyed or even been interested in watching in recent years, Underworld 3 was alright but that's all I can think of.

THE MEN CALLED STING
Frank Castle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 11:53 AM   #493
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Castle View Post
Didn't they make some shitty cheap sequels to Vampires?...
Yeah. I thought #2 was okay. Bon Jovi played the main hero hunter.
Old 09-12-2012, 01:30 PM   #494
Razorgod
Anti-Monitor

Send a message via Yahoo to Razorgod Send a message via Skype™ to Razorgod

Quote:

I cant think of any Vampire movies I've enjoyed or even been interested in watching in recent years, Underworld 3 was alright but that's all I can think of.
The Fright Night re-make was so much better than I expected. I'm not typically a huge fan of re-makes, but I tend to give them the benefit of the doubt until I actually see how they turn out.

Also, Let the Right One In was pretty good, and it's American re-make Let Me In had a few good points.
His endless obsession
With superpositional pussy.
Razorgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 02:19 PM   #495
Space Cop
The Dandy

I really liked the remake of Fright Night. I have to pick that up on BD.

I liked both Lets but they're certainly not to everyone's taste. More atmospheric. I want to read the book some day. Apparently, it goes into much more detail about Eli's background. The pedophilia and gender confusion were softened for the movies.

Don't know how far back we're talking, but 30 Days of Night was pretty good. It's a good adaptation of an excellent comic but I thought many of the attacks (especially early on) were too fast. Vampires lose some of their scariness if they're just blurs.

Daybreakers was pretty good for its own angle (the vamps have already won).
Old 09-12-2012, 03:25 PM   #496
Razorgod
Anti-Monitor

Speaking of 30 Days of Night, the direct to DVD sequel wasn't too bad, and was fairly close to the comic. Especially the end, where she brings Eben back to life.
His endless obsession
Old 09-12-2012, 03:26 PM   #497
Frank Castle
Alpha-Lantern

Quote:
Yeah. I thought #2 was okay. Bon Jovi played the main hero hunter.
Interesting...by the sounds of it....it's a new group of hunters? and not Bon Jovi playing woods character?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razorgod View Post
The Fright Night re-make was so much better than I expected. I'm not typically a huge fan of re-makes, but I tend to give them the benefit of the doubt until I actually see how they turn out.

Also, Let the Right One In was pretty good, and it's American re-make Let Me In had a few good points.
Shit how stupid of me, I totally forgot about those two films, and you're right Fright Night remake was surprisingly good, I'll have to get round to watching it again.

I've never seen Right One In but have seen Let Me In, and again yes it was pretty good, I never thought about including world cinema vampire movies, but now that you've mentioned Right One In(which I'll give a watch now cheers) theirs this German one I saw awhile ago called We Are The Night, its about 4 hot German girls who are vampires and live life on the wild side but it all goes wrong, its nothing like Twilight in case you're worried about it staring girls, I wouldn't watch the trailer as its shows too much imo, you'll just have to go off my word of mouth, it has a good story and enough action to keep you happy.

Quote:
Don't know how far back we're talking, but 30 Days of Night was pretty good. It's a good adaptation of an excellent comic but I thought many of the attacks (especially early on) were too fast. Vampires lose some of their scariness if they're just blurs.

Daybreakers was pretty good for its own angle (the vamps have already won).
I did not enjoy 30 Days of Night at all, I think you just highlighted one of the reasons why, people just died so quick for it to have any effect, if anything dark days was more interesting to me, even though again its another cheap sequel.

Daybreakers was another let down, I was really excited when I first saw the trailer, a well thought out Vampire film is what I was expecting,but it was not as good as I hoped, much better than 30 Days of Night though, and indeed the spin on the story was interesting.

THE MEN CALLED STING
Frank Castle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 03:57 PM   #498
Razorgod
Anti-Monitor

Quote:
Interesting...by the sounds of it....it's a new group of hunters? and not Bon Jovi playing woods character?
Yeah, he's his own hunter. They talk about Crow very briefly, but this is a whole other case. It wasn't great, but it wasn't as bad as the third movie in the series.

It's not a movie, but the book that Vampires was based on "Vampire$" by Jon Steakly was pretty cool. The story is completely different, Crow's team is basically a vampire removal service...A lot of the same things happen, but the differences would have been awesome if they had used those in the movie.

Quote:
Daybreakers was another let down, I was really excited when I first saw the trailer, a well thought out Vampire film is what I was expecting,but it was not as good as I hoped, much better than 30 Days of Night though, and indeed the spin on the story was interesting.
I didn't enjoy Daybreakers nearly as much as I wanted to, either.
His endless obsession
Old 09-12-2012, 08:25 PM   #499
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
I'm 90% sure they were all different, but it's been a while.

Quote:
I did not enjoy 30 Days of Night at all, I think you just highlighted one of the reasons why, people just died so quick for it to have any effect, if anything dark days was more interesting to me, even though again its another cheap sequel.
Still need to see Dark Days. Yeah, it was pretty off-putting the first time, but I picked it up cheap on DVD one day and liked it more when I re-watched it—in fact I watched all the features including commentary. I really like polar (or near) stories though, so it gets a lot of extra points for being set in the northern most inhabited place on the continent.

Quote:
I agree. It's not all that should've been and I haven't (yet) picked it up again, but the idea was a neat twist to watch once, anyway.
Old 09-15-2012, 05:56 PM   #500
Space Cop
The Dandy

Just saw the 2010 remake of Piranha on instant Netflix (not 3D). It was pretty good for what it is. Actually, this one plays off of Jaws (Dreyfus even cameos) more than the first. Some OTT moments, which is right for this kind of movie.