The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > Green Lanternverse > Other Comics
FLASHCHAT

Miscellaneous GL Comics

Old 04-03-2020, 01:36 PM   #51
Space Cop
The Dandy

That's not a surprise. The logistics would've been a mess.
Old 04-03-2020, 01:56 PM   #52
Michael Heide
Heide Finition

Yes. I had been wondering how they were going to make the nitty gritty work.
Michael Heide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 02:01 PM   #53
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Heide View Post
Yes. I had been wondering how they were going to make the nitty gritty work.
Yeah, my question was whether the app would be able to say my LCS is definitely getting 30 copies of X and 35 people could not order them. But the article brought up a lot of other potential problems.
Old 04-03-2020, 02:05 PM   #54
Hypo
Lil' Leaguer

It's unfortunate that they couldn't make it work to keep a steady stream of revenue coming in because I don't think Marvel and DC are going to hold off on releasing completed books digitally indefinitely until Diamond is back up and running.
Old 04-03-2020, 02:33 PM   #55
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypo View Post
It's unfortunate that they couldn't make it work to keep a steady stream of revenue coming in because I don't think Marvel and DC are going to hold off on releasing completed books digitally indefinitely until Diamond is back up and running.
Yeah, but ideal would be total stoppage.

Even under the best circumstances this solution would've been difficult. I know my LCS (and this seems true for others I go to) has pretty much just enough space for a single heavy release date. So, if they opened say June 3, the June 3 books would all go there. Maybe they could just stack all the pre-sales and grab them when the customers come in (even that would be tricky), but where are they going to put all the ones that weren't pre-sold before June 3?
Old 04-03-2020, 08:23 PM   #56
Hypo
Lil' Leaguer

MARVEL COMICS 'Pausing' Work & Release of ONE-THIRD Of Its Publishing Line
Quote:
Marvel Entertainment is immediately "pausing" work on - and the release of - approximately one-third of its May and June titles, a spokesperson confirmed for Newsarama. Marvel did not provide details at this time as to which titles would be affected.

The decision to pause work on the affected titles, according to the spokesperson, is "to help spread the amount of publishing product over the coming weeks and months."

Asked when the publisher intends to resume publishing of the remaining two-thirds not affected, the Marvel spokesperson declined to answer.

Marvel has been telling creators involved with the suspended title of this decision today, and the company spokesperson re-assured Newsarama that "all talent will be paid for their work to date."

A revised schedule of releases from Marvel Comics is expected.
Old 04-04-2020, 09:54 PM   #57
Hypo
Lil' Leaguer

DC Donates $250,000 To Charity For Comic Book Stores
Old 04-05-2020, 09:17 PM   #58
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

The unspoken truth about comics is that speculators drive the industry. They're why print comics are still around. But if the stores can't stay open, what then?
Trey Strain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 02:33 PM   #59
Hypo
Lil' Leaguer

Thought this episode of Off Panel with John Hendrick, owner of Big Bang Comics, was worth a listen. One tidbit is it seems Jim Lee was the reason DC reversed course on releasing comics digitally.
Old 04-07-2020, 09:27 PM   #60
Agent Purple
The Illustrated Man

Diamond announces payment schedule to publishers
Old 04-08-2020, 03:20 PM   #61
Hypo
Lil' Leaguer

IMAGE COMICS Lays Off Four Staffers Due to CORONAVIRUS' Financial Effects
Old 04-16-2020, 02:36 PM   #62
Hypo
Lil' Leaguer

Jim Lee is auctioning off 60 sketches in 60 days with the proceeds going to struggling comic shops via the Book Industry Charitable Foundation. These sketches will also be used as variant covers for future DC books. Winner of the each auction gets to pick the subject of the next sketch.

Kami Garcia, Brian Michael Bendis, Gwenda Bond, Sam Humphries and Phil Jimenez have also organized an effort to help comic shops via Comics 4 Creators , essentially various creators are auctioning stuff off on twitter with the proceeds also going to the Book Industry Charitable Foundation. You can see stuff being auctioned off here.
Old 04-16-2020, 08:21 PM   #63
Hypo
Lil' Leaguer

Bleeding Cool: New Comics Coming to Stores Sooner Than We Thought – Mid May?
Quote:
Specifically that, as of tonight, unless there is a major change in the current shutdown and lockdown orders, that Diamond Comic Distributors will, somehow, be distributing the currently held new comic books to comic book stores on Sunday 17th of May, arriving in comic book stores shortly afterwards, followed by newly printed comic books. There may be some delays to certain parts of the US, it will depend on which stores can and cannot accept delivery or put it on sale, and international distribution to Europe may take a lot longer. What this means for future solicitation dates and delivery is also unknown, to me at least. However right now, we at least have a ballpark. Things can change, Harold MacMillan once talked about having to deal with 'the opposition of events'. This is the plan, as it has been shared by Diamond Comic Distributors to comic book publishers – the big ones at least. How that rolls out to everyone else, we'll try to report as and when it comes to us.
Old 04-17-2020, 01:56 PM   #64
Hypo
Lil' Leaguer

Bleeding Cool: Marvel Tells More Comics Creators to Stop Work For Now
Quote:
Marvel Comics has let more freelancers know that that they are to pause work on current Marvel Comics assignments. Previously Marvel had paused 15% to 20% of titles being published, as a result of the current global situation. With no print comic books being distributed to comic book stores, digital comics being suspended and the ComicHub solution being rejected, lots of publishers have asked creators to pause work for now. At the time they chosen titles were described as titles linked to movie and TV launches such as Black Widow and Taskmaster, as well as launch titles that may need a more favourable publishing environment to launch in.

With another similar edict, the books will have to be across the existing line. In comparison, DC Comics has reportedly only paused a handful of titles, many of which hadn't even been solicited yet, and has also moved creators onto a new Batman Black And White digital-first comic book. While new publishers Bad Idea and AWA have been upping their production and approaching creators who suddenly have a lot more time on their hands.

Which comic books and which creators have been affected at Marvel is not clear. I have been told that it will apply to some X-Men related titles that had already built up a lot of completed issues anyway, and Deadpool was another mentioned. Declan Shalvely posted in his newsletter that he had a phone call to confirm he was continuing work on his Punisher comic book, the first issue of which should have come out last week.

Marvel Comics representatives confirmed to Bleeding Cool that they have paused some more titles for the same reasons as a few weeks ago but declined to share the names or creative teams of specific titles as of yet. They stated that they would share more details in coming weeks. They also reconfirmed that all talent would be paid in full for their work that has been completed.
Old 04-17-2020, 05:49 PM   #65
Hypo
Lil' Leaguer

OFFICIAL: Diamond ‘Targeting’ Mid to Late May to Restart Distribution
Quote:
Diamond Comic Distributors has confirmed that they intend to resume distribution of comics and other products in mid- to late-May, based on current data and internal projections. In a letter sent out to comic book retailers, publishers, and other clients by Diamond's parent company Geppi Family Enterprises, "the other side of COVID-19" in terms of comic distribution - with some reservations - is outlined.

"While there are many steps and conversations that need to happen between today and resuming distribution of new weekly product, we are currently targeting mid- to late-May with the hope that, as an industry, we can all work toward that timeframe," read the statement.

"Of course, as we have all seen, target dates sometimes need to be adjusted in this ever-changing new-normal. But we cannot wait for firm dates. We have started the planning process and are having these important conversations with publishers and retailers so that once we have more clarity, we are in a position to restart and scale operations over time."

Diamond suspended shipments to UK comic book shops after March 18's books, with North American comic shops last week of comics via Diamond was March 25. The current plan is that the comics intended for release during Diamond's downtime to be distributed later, spread out "over a longer period of time." The distributor doesn't specify if the solicited mid- and late-May titles (and those thereafter) will remain on thier currently solicited release dates.

"With health and safety of employees, retailers and customers a top priority, we need to be very deliberate about how we restart and scale operations," warned Diamond's parent company. "We must find that delicate balance between managing health and safety concerns, meeting the pent-up demand for product and working with retailers whose situations differ, and whose need for product may have changed."
SHOCKER: DC announces return to shipping comics for 4/27 with alternative distributors
Quote:
On the day that Diamond announced a plan to return to distributing product Mid-May, DC Comics made their own announcement: that, as previously announced, they are pursuing alternative distribution methods and will start shipping product on April 27th.

Orders through April 15th are cancelled but starting on 4/21 retailers can confirm their orders for product shipping on 4/28 – which will now be available on Tuesday, 4/27.

But the biggest bombshell of this: DC will be using two new distributors, Lunar Distribution and UCS Comic Distribution to distribute comics. Retailers can sign up with either on a regional basis.

Lunar is handling accounts in the Western section of North America, and UCS the eastern portion.

Nothing is known of these two new entities, however we have reached out to them.

This is a seismic move for the comics industry, with the first new direct market distributors for comics periodicals in 20 years.

I’d long heard rumors that DC Comics has not renewed their exclusive deal with Diamond, and this would indicate that those rumors are true.
Old 04-17-2020, 06:48 PM   #66
Hypo
Lil' Leaguer

Seems the new distributors are actually Midtown Comics and DCBS which seems to have some other retailers upset.

DC's release schedule:

4/28
  • Batman #89 (3rd Printing)
  • Daphne Byrne #4
  • The Dreaming #20
  • Nightwing #70 (2nd Printing)
  • Batman GIANT #4

5/5
  • Batman and the Outsiders #12
  • DC Super Stars #17 (Facsimile Edition)
  • The Flash #753
  • The Green Lantern Season Two #3
  • Hawkman #23
  • House of Whispers #20
  • Joker/Harley: Criminal Sanity #4

5/12
  • Harley Quinn #72
  • Justice League #44
  • Justice League Odyssey #20
  • Lois Lane #10
  • Metal Men #6
Old 04-17-2020, 07:28 PM   #67
Michael Heide
Heide Finition

Quote:
There is also no mention of the non-North American market, making around 15% of DC Comics' sales in the direct market
Old 04-18-2020, 03:13 PM   #68
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypo View Post

DC's release schedule:

4/28
  • Batman #89 (3rd Printing)
  • Daphne Byrne #4
  • The Dreaming #20
  • Nightwing #70 (2nd Printing)
  • Batman GIANT #4

5/5
  • Batman and the Outsiders #12
  • DC Super Stars #17 (Facsimile Edition)
  • The Flash #753
  • The Green Lantern Season Two #3
  • Hawkman #23
  • House of Whispers #20
  • Joker/Harley: Criminal Sanity #4

5/12
  • Harley Quinn #72
  • Justice League #44
  • Justice League Odyssey #20
  • Lois Lane #10
  • Metal Men #6
So, those are all the books that will be released from DC at that time? It does seem to be a pretty compressed list. Unfortunately, it's going to be really expensive the day my LCS opens (if they can even get all these).

EDIT: these are the books that were supposed to printed and warehoused the past few weeks. They seem to be missing some from my list, though, like Batman 92, Superman 22, and Strange Adentures 2.

Last edited by Space Cop; 04-18-2020 at 03:18 PM.
Space Cop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 06:45 PM   #69
Michael Heide
Heide Finition

These are on top of the books originally scheduled for 4/1, 4/8 and 4/15. Which I cannot find listed anywhere. But I'm working on it.
Old 04-18-2020, 07:08 PM   #70
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
These are on top of the books originally scheduled for 4/1, 4/8 and 4/15. Which I cannot find listed anywhere. But I'm working on it.
Well, I went by DC's website on the comics section. They had listed (two weeks ago) JL 44; JL Od. 20; and Lois Lane 10 for April 1 and Harley 72 and GL 3 on April 8; among others not on this new list (like Young Justice, Batman, etc).
Old 04-19-2020, 09:38 AM   #71
Michael Heide
Heide Finition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Cop View Post
Well, I went by DC's website on the comics section. They had listed (two weeks ago) JL 44; JL Od. 20; and Lois Lane 10 for April 1 and Harley 72 and GL 3 on April 8; among others not on this new list (like Young Justice, Batman, etc).
According to Newsarama, GL 3 will ship on 5/5, while the other books you listed will all ship on 5/12.

Minus the books listed at the Newsarama article, the following books fall in that weird gap:

4/1
Batman #92
Batman #92 Var
Batman Giant #4
Strange Adventures #2
Strange Adventures #2 Shaner Var

4/8
Catwoman #22
Catwoman #22 Var
Superman #22
Superman #22 Var
Terrifics #27
Wonder Woman #755
Wonder Woman #755 MacDonald Var
Young Justice #15
Young Justice #15 Var

4/15
Wonder Woman Giant #4
Aquaman #59
Aquaman #59 Var
DCeased Unkillables #3
DCeased Unkillables #3 Card Stock Horror Var
DCeased Unkillables #3 Card Stock Mattina Var
Dollhouse Family #6 (of 6)
Dollhouse Family #6 (of 6) Jay Anacleto Var
He-Man and the Masters of the Multiverse #6
Low Low Woods #5 (of 6)
Low Low Woods #5 (of 6) Jenny Frison Var
Lucifer #19
Nightwing #71
Nightwing #71 Alan Quah Var
Plunge #3 (of 6)
Plunge #3 (of 6) Gary Frank Var
Supermans Pal Jimmy Olsen #10 (of 12)
Supermans Pal Jimmy Olsen #10 (of 12) Ben Oliver Var Ed
Teen Titans #41
Teen Titans #41 Randolph Var

4/22
Action Comics #1022
Action Comics #1022 Var
Amethyst #3
Basketful of Heads #7 (of 7)
Basketful of Heads #7 (of 7) Gabriel Rodriguez Var
Batgirl #46
Batgirl #46 Inhyuk Lee Var
Batman Beyond #43
Batman Superman #9
Batman Superman #9 Mike Mayhew Var
Books of Magic #19
Detective Comics #1022
Detective Comics #1022 Var
John Constantine Hellblazer #6
Justice League Dark #22
Justice League Dark #22 Var
Red Hood Outlaw #45
Red Hood Outlaw #45 Philip Tan Var
Suicide Squad #5
Suicide Squad #5 Var
Supergirl #41
Supergirl #41 Var

That's quite a lot. If they don't ship these issues, and if I treat them as cancelled, order them again and and up getting twice the amount? That's a nightmare in both scenarios.
Old 04-19-2020, 12:37 PM   #72
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
Minus the books listed at the Newsarama article, the following books fall in that weird gap . . . That's quite a lot. If they don't ship these issues, and if I treat them as cancelled, order them again and and up getting twice the amount? That's a nightmare in both scenarios.
Yep. Those are the lists I got from DC (but obviously only wrote down the ones I want to track down later). It’s such a mess. And it’s just bizarre that they continued with a release schedule when they had no distributor.
Old 04-19-2020, 01:20 PM   #73
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

When the comic industry collapsed I was down to only 3 monthly titles. Green Lantern season 2, Swamp Thing Giant, and Doom Patrol Weight of The Worlds. DP only has the final issue #7 to come out and that series is done. Swamp Thing Giant comes out both in Wal Mart and Comic shops with different covers.

Not a lot for me to chase down when the dust settles. I'm spending more money on omnibi and other hardcover collections than I am in monthlies. Some of them I am really looking forward to and will be disappointed if they end up cancelled.
Old 04-19-2020, 03:40 PM   #74
Hypo
Lil' Leaguer

Retailer Brian Hibbs posted his thoughts on everything wrong with DC's plan, which I'll transcribe below cause the images are kind of small:

Quote:
So, here's an attempt to explain why @DC is making all the wrong moves with their latest announcement. I especially hold Jim Lee DC, DC's current publisher, accountable for this. Hank, Nancy, I also have to call you out here. You three are the visible leadership. Time to answer this.

1) Most of the country is shut down, and WILL NOT be ready to open on the date of 4/28 that DC says they'll be shipping comics again. In San Francisco, we're at a minimum of first week of May, and I'm fairly certain we won't be allowed to open to walk-in business without semi-extreme rules until well into June.

2) DC, itself, is in Burbank California, and they're not able to go into the offices themselves..... again, probably well into June, and, again there will probably be significant rules in place from California about who can do what and when and how -- possibly mandatory temperature checks, etc. The "notion" that they're expecting us to be "open" when "they" aren't is horrifying to me.

3) The "distributors" that DC has picked are NOT. It is Midtown and DCBS, the #1 & #2 "retailers" of comics. These are COMPETITORS to the overwhelming majority of Direct Marker retailers. There is nothing in place to protect competition, there's no guarantee of sales or (more importantly) payment-terms.

4) We've been given FOUR DAYS to set up accounts and get right with our new Overloads (being in Cali, we're "assigned" to DCBS.) Sorry, you can'y unleash an entire new way of doing comics in that short of a time span. I have genuine and serious questions about being forced to do business with an entity that I personally consider a "bad actor" in comics, and to hand them key business documents like my resale license. Where's our contract?

5) Margins are shitty enough that making a profit in comics retail is pretty hard to begin with, and everything is magnified and multiplied when all you can do it mail order. It's even harder for me in SF, where my cost-of-rent and cost-of-labor are considerably higher than most of my peers. I've been doing the best mail order I can (probably pretty shitty) from https://comix-experience.myshopify.com/, but the BEST CASE HERE is that I am working three times as hard, for no more than one third of the revenue. And that's with $20 graphic novels being the primary thing we're doing. I absolutely, positively, in no way can "profitably" sell $4 periodicals via mail order -- that's not the business we are in.

Please, understand, I've got the credit card info and (emphatic) permission to charge from most of our pre-order customers... but without the walk-in this is IN NO WAY enough cash flow to even pay for the labor to handle it. Let alone COOS, let alone rent and utilities, etc.

And that's assuming that everything goes PERFECTLY... which, History has already told us, IT ABSOLUTELY WON'T

6) DC is asking us to ABANDON Diamond. They claim that they've "cancelled all orders" (though, honestly, can they even do that?), and that we have to buy from Midtown and DCBS. Diamond and Steve Geppi specifically have acted as the "bank" of the Direct Market, saving and protecting the great mass of retailers again and again and again... Do I have some problems with DCD's operation? Sure, I'd be an idiot not to -- but on the balance they've done more to preserve DM retailers from ANYONE EVER, so "walking away" from them in this time of challenge is completely entirely a non-starter for me

ESPECIALLY FOR DCBS. Are you crazy? They are literally our enemy. Why not ask Amazon to distribute us?

7) The very notion of changing to a Tuesday release is pure "fuck you" to the channel that, I'm pretty damn sure is two-thirds of the mechanism of their cash-flow.

8) They could have not chose a more half-ass and broken way of releasing comics -- the only way to make money during periodicals is to depend on the "economies of scale". Just WRITING THE ORDER for the five comics nomatively on-sale on 4/28 would cost me more money than I could ever to realize from them. That wouldn't even begin to account my costs to receive these books, the labor to handle sub, the additional new labor to those books out.....Same for the following three weeks.

9) And what about SHIPPING COSTS on this tiny slate of garbage? If it's more than "free", then our already low margins are shot to shit.

I REMEMBER HEROES WORLD -- the COSTS of doing business with a fraction of the sales of a universal distributor makes it so you can NOT sell that line profitably for most retailers.

9a) I STOPPED RACKING MARVEL COMICS DURING HEROES WORLD, AND MY SALES WENT UP

10) Seriously? This is your "re-launch" slate? DAPHNE BYRNE, THE DREAMING, second prints, and some Wal-Mart comics? What the serious fuck is wrong with you DC? YOU HAVE THE OPPORTUNITY TO REDEFINE DC FOR THE NEXT DECADE, and your choice is clear out the pile of mediocrity the editors have already committed to? SERIOUSLY? You having that little faith in what DC can be says more to than almost anything else.

11) If they do this, my only possible response can be "well, I guess most new DC periodicals are subs only". This will cut ~60% of their sales at Comix Expierence, forever. Listen, every single copy of HAWKMAN or JUSTICE LEAGUE ODYSSEY, and probably upwards of ninety percent of their output that I order for the rack is a PURE GIFT TO DC COMICS. I've LONG THOUGHT I should stop subsiding Marvel and DC's excess for, realistically, something like 90% of their output.... and you actually want to give me clean, simple and actionable reason? REALLY?

12) In even the best possible world (and we're not -- this is a DARK timeline, yo), mainstream superhero comics are supported by the faith of the retailers on the balance. Is your faith in DCBS and Midtown so absolute? IS IT REALLY?

13) The business model of Midtown and DCBS is largely based on massive discounts, and undercutting the asking price of the cover price. Changing that would seem to be a incredibly dangerous idea, in what will almost certainly lower demand on the other side of this. If you ask, going the other way with Minimum Asked Pricing (MAP) is the much smarter way to go. These people who are the new "distributor" should not be people who also sell for 40%+ off. Not if you want to have physical stores representing your output.

14) Non-American accounts are just thrown to the wolves? Really? REALLY?

15) There is no world in which creating "haves" and "have nots" is ever a good idea. #EverEverEverEver

16) I'm calling it now, in terms of how it actually plays out. Heroes World 2: Electric Fuckaloo. Those are do not learn History, etc. etc.

17) I've learned this last monthL I DO NOT WANT TO BE A MAIL ORDER BUSINESS. It is a horror show, and a low margin one at that. Just trying to EVEN VAGUELY "compete" with a "free shipping" at $50 means sometimes I'm just giving away 20% or more of my profit on shipping, depending on the size/shape of the books. It is FLATLY impossible to pay RETAIL rent and wages in California, DC's home state, on that velocity and volume. Can't be done.

18) We are not "open". We are not allowed to be "open" in California. Most states that sell the MOST COMICS are not allowed to be open. DC is not allowed to be "open" in California. There is no way for me to legitimately sell comics to anything other that preorders (which sure as fuck should be the minority for any legitimate retailer, if you ask me, if you want "comics" to be here in another decade). SO WHY IS DC RELEASING COMICS???????????

I'm not on board. In fact, I am so not on board that this would permanently poison my relationship to DC Comics, and impact their long-term sales here unless they change their direction.... not just within my individual stores, but everything I can ever do when I interact with both my peers and the consumers I server.

I would truly regret that.
Old 04-19-2020, 04:08 PM   #75
Michael Heide
Heide Finition

I agree on almost all accounts, and the rest are regional differences between California and Germany.