The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > Green Lanternverse > Other Comics
FLASHCHAT

Miscellaneous GL Comics

Old 03-03-2020, 04:06 PM   #126
Hypo
Lil' Leaguer

Bleeding Cool: The C2E2 DC Gossip About 5G and the New DC Timeline – What's Left Of Them
Quote:
Okay, so lots of rumours and gossip came out of C2E2, and as ever I usually start to get to hear them on the Sunday night of the show, when lips are looser and wetter. One of which is that DC Comics has further plans for Wally West beyond his current Dr Manhattan state, and that he will be known as Pariah. Another is that we will be getting a WarWorld comic book.

But the problem is that both of these stories are coming out of gossip that has its origins in the pre-Dan DiDio DC. Some may still carry through. Some may not. Some will be dropped because they are now 'tainted' as having been championed by Dan, others may survive if they find new champions.

And so, yes, there's 5G. Generation Five, which has been planned for almost a year now. In which we would have seen the entire DC Universe aged up, along the lines of the planned new DC Timeline, with new characters replacing familiar figures in the classic roles. This was to be Dan DiDio's big new thing, and a lot of work had been done on it across editorial, with a planned editorial two-month-skip to get everyone up to speed, with an announcement at San Diego Comic Con and a launch in October. And Dan DiDio planning to keep it going as long as he did.

Or at least that was the plan, the exit of Dan DiDio over repeated resignations at the company. means that everything is up in the air. But, as Bleeding Cool reported, 5G has buy-in from Warners/AT&T who saw how this might be easily turned into appealing animated movies too. So yes, it is still going ahead, but it is no longer line-wide. It is now been reduced to a smaller line of books that have already had a number of issues completed. It is not going to be the huge relaunch that was originally planned. And the DC Timeline that would accompany it is also still happening, but it will be trimmed, and no longer tied down to specific years or real-life events aside from World War II.

It will be interesting to see if there are any changes made between the pre-DiDio published Flash #750 Generation One story, published this week, and the version that will be out for Free Comic Book Day. Is so, they will probably be reflective of the wider changes DC will be making to the big plan…
Old 03-03-2020, 06:28 PM   #127
HalFingJordan
Alpha-Lantern

This sounds like it's bad news for Hal Jordan, so I'm probably not going to be a fan of this.

INVISIBLE SKY DADDY TO THE RESCUE!!!

You don't have to be stupid to believe in God. But it helps.

You can tell a Yorkshireman....but you can't tell him much.
HalFingJordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 01:44 PM   #128
Hypo
Lil' Leaguer

Bleeding Cool: DC Telling Different People Different Things About 5G – And More New Creators Involved
Quote:
At C2E2 in Chicago last weekend, DC Comics sent a crew to calm people's nerves about DC's future. DC Publisher Jim Lee took point at his spotlight panel, as Bleeding Cool reported, telling people "DC has been around for 85 years and will be around for another 85 years… We're a huge important part of Warner Bros, we've been with Warner Bros for decades, when you look at DC, the strategy of DC is to put publishing at the centre of everything we do, it's the source material that drives the media engine, all these movies and TV shows and video games and merchandise and all that kind of stuff. They see the value we bring to the greater whole."

And regarding the much-rumoured and occasionally-leaked 5G, that it's "hard to talk about what we haven't officially announced but I realise we have teased somethings out… our intent is not to do a line-wide reboot that ages up characters and kinda shuffles them off to the side, our focus is to continue what we've done best, which is to really create character-driven stories, pairing the right creators on the right characters, organically developing a universe that is inclusive, diverse and can tell amazing stories that you guys love."

But not everyone at the show seemed to be singing from the same songsheet. And it seemed to come down to the seniority of the person to whom they were speaking. Younger, newer, less senior editors were telling the hoi polloi of comic book creators that everything was fine and ticking along as normal. But certain senior DC creators at the show, who got more private meetings with the DC bigwigs got a different story.

They were told that things were now totally up in the air with 5G/Generation Five, plans that had been previously outlined under Dan DiDio were being put on hold, and artists already drawing projects were being told to pause for now. There were assurances that everyone would be paid for the work they had already done, but that the scope of the plans were being re-evaluated. The phrase used repeatedly was that the original plans for 5G were intended to be the new status quo at DC as long as Dan DiDio was publisher. And now, totally unconnectedly, this was no longer the case. This division of message may be why I was getting a few mixed signals coming out of C2E2

As for the new writers for 5G and other projects, some of whom Bleeding Cool profiled recently, it appears DC has stretched out further than animation showrunners, production assistants and Oscar-winning screenwriters. They are also looking at writers who may have been cast aside in recent years, including their New Talent initiatives for comic book writers that seemed to lead to very little work for them at DC, with other publishers being the beneficiaries of their slightly raised profile.

And 5G, what remains of it, may be the way to get them back and show that the programmes that DC ran for them were worthwhile after all. So who out of Michael McMillian, Hena Khan, Joëlle Jones, Emma Beeby, Vita Ayala, Adam Smith, Chris Sebela, Erica Schultz, Michael Moreci, Owl Goingback, Erica Harrell, Desirée Proctor, Al Letson, David Accampo, Aaron Gillespie, Ryan K. Lindsay, Tony Patrick, Sanya Anwar, Ryan Cady, Joey Esposito, Robert Jeffrey, Phillip Kennedy Johnson or Magdalene Visaggio will be a part of DC's 5G? Those who aren't already working at DC? Or will some of them be quite happy to keep working for Marvel, or at other publishers, TV and movie studios instead?
Old 03-07-2020, 11:17 PM   #129
Deadpool
Fight like a man: with your words, not your fists.

I've heard about this 5G event, it looks like DC basically copying Marvel gender-bendering and race-changing everyone for the pure sake of doing it. It's not going to bring in more minority readers, it'll just alienate the core readers that were already there or they could have brought back. DC stop need to stop wanking around with continuity and constant reboots like they've been doing for the past eight or nine years and just focus on titles individually. The gimmick's worn off.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy Caesar View Post
If I had things like the internet and a laptop as a kid, I never would have left my room as a teenager.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaker View Post
I am the Geoff Johns of the GLCMB.
Deadpool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 05:54 PM   #130
Hypo
Lil' Leaguer

Bleeding Cool: SCOOP: Why Was DC Comics' Generation Two: Age of the Metahuman Not in June 2020 Solicitations? The Changing 5G…
Quote:
Despite being announced as a monthly series of one-shots, the second volume Generation Two: Age of the Metahuman was not included in DC Comics' June 2020 solicitations. Some divined from this that a) the Generation one-shots were being dropped and b) so was 5G. Well… not entirely. But there are changes.

Intended to be published on May 27th, Generation One: Age Of Mysteries was solicited as being the first of five 48-page prestige format one-shots, followed monthly by; Generation Two: Age of the Metahuman, Generation Three: Age of Crisis, Generation Four: Age of Rebirth and Generation Five: Age of Tomorrow. They will also follow the Free Comic Book Day title Generation Zero: Gods Among Us, in stores on Free Comic Book Day, May 2nd, 2020.

Bleeding Cool has been asking around and, from very senior sources, was told that Generation Two hasn't been cancelled but delayed so that 'tweaks' can be made. It is possible that Generation One, solicited for May may be also delayed for similar tweaking.

The Generation one-shots were originally intended to lay out the new DC Timeline and lead into 5G or Generation Five, a remaking of the DC Universe, spearheaded and sold into Warner Bros by the former publisher Dan DiDio. But as Bleeding Cool has reported, all those plans are now up in the air and there is a lot of rewriting going on.
Old 03-19-2020, 03:56 PM   #131
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

Are there as of yet any creative teams listed for these upcoming issues for 5G? Other than cover artists?
Old 03-19-2020, 04:34 PM   #132
Hypo
Lil' Leaguer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy Dave Skywalker View Post
Are there as of yet any creative teams listed for these upcoming issues for 5G? Other than cover artists?
If you're talking about the Generation one-shots we don't know what the exact teams on each issue would be beyond the first one which was solicited but we have the creators involved:

Quote:
Readers of Generation One: Age of Mysteries will witness firsthand major events from throughout the history of the DC universe as seen through the eyes of characters like Wonder Woman, Lucius Fox, Alfred Pennyworth, Green Lantern (Alan Scott), The Spectre (Jim Corrigan), Mister Terrific (Terry Sloane), and others. The series of one-shots will also expose secrets from DC’s history, such as:
  • What was the previously undocumented “big bang” of the Age of Mysteries?
  • Which character truly ushers in the dawn of Super Heroes, inspiring all the rest?
  • What was the real reason behind the Justice Society of America’s retirement?
  • Which Golden Age hero will become history’s greatest villain?
  • What contentious alliance kept the Wayne family dynasty alive after Thomas and Martha’s deaths?
  • Who are the new, never-seen-before wildcards that will be instrumental in fashioning DC’s push to the future?
The five Generation issues will feature a who’s who of creative talent, with an overarching story by Brian Michael Bendis, Dan Jurgens, Andy Schmidt, Robert Venditti, and Joshua Williamson, illustrated by artists including Doug Mahnke, Bryan Hitch, Mikel Janín, Ivan Reis, David Marquez, and more.

Generation One: Age of Mysteries is scripted by Andy Schmidt, with lead art by Doug Mahnke. Each of DC’s Generation one-shots will feature a cover by Jim Cheung and a variant cover by Gary Frank. Generation Two: Age of the Metahuman, Generation Three: Age of Crisis, Generation Four: Age of Rebirth and Generation Five: Age of Tomorrow will follow monthly after Generation One: Age of Mysteries.
No idea on anything that was slated to come out after the one shots.
Old 03-19-2020, 04:47 PM   #133
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

That doesn't bode well if DC can't even brag about the top talent they are putting on this project. Sounds like they want to get the project out, and they will fill in the blanks as they go.
Old 05-11-2020, 02:45 PM   #134
Hypo
Lil' Leaguer

Bleeding Cool: John Ridley, Luke Fox Batman, 5G, No More?
Quote:
If I were John Ridley, I would begin to suspect that I was under some kind of curse. Admittedly, I would have won an Oscar for writing the screenplay for 12 Years A Slave. But when I returned to my true love, writing comic books, things seemed to fall apart. I got to revisit and finish my Wildstorm comic book The American Way, but that was meant to be an appetiser for the main course.

Former DC President Diane Nelson used an entire event, The Many Shades of Heroism: DC Heroes Through the African-American Lens, laid on at the Newseum on Martin Luther King Day, to announce John Ridley's The Other History Of The DC Universe, also placed on the cover of Diamond Previews. Solicited, but then disappeared, amounts rumours of legal wrangling over another, seemingly identical project that had been previously greenlit. However, its disappearance has not been addressed by DC, of by Ridley, in the months – years – since.

But that was okay, because John Ridley had an even higher profile gig lined up for DC Comics. As Bleeding Cool reported, courtesy of publisher Dan DiDio, he was to take over the Batman ongoing comic book with Batman #100, relaunching it with a new #1 to follow, and as part of the 5G relaunch recasting the lead character from Bruce Wayne to Luke Fox, a new Batman working with an elderly Bruce Wayne, with all of the eyes of the industry upon him.

Then Dan DiDio was fired and the industry went into shutdown. We heard that some 5G work had been put on the back burner but this takes it further. Bleeding Cool has now been informed that high profile creators working on or alongside this Batman relaunch have been told to stop work, and have received kill fees for completed work. A kill fee is usually a payment made when a publisher decides they will no longer publish completed work.

Unlike The Other History, Batman 5G and John Ridley's part in it were never announced by DC Comics, that was originally the plan for San Diego Comic-Con. Now, it seems they will no longer be. Possibly the work may reappear in another form. What this means for the other planned tiles is not clarified, maybe Brian Bendis will still see Jonathan Kent as the new Superman, but a line-wide fifth generation of DC Comics heroes, featuring a new line-up of lead characters is no more. And for some, that will mean it never was, and was just Bleeding Cool making it all up.

The crumbs left on the table do suggest otherwise, however… but this change of heart may be good news for one creator, whose work has gone down rather well on the title…
Old 05-11-2020, 06:12 PM   #135
Michael Heide
Heide Finition

Given Tom Taylor's recent Twitter hints about writing an in-continuity Clark-Kent-as-Superman, I'd say the Jonathan-Kent-as-Superman book by Bendis is off the table.
Michael Heide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 02:46 AM   #136
IonFan
Forum Member

so is it over with, do we no longer have to worry about this b/s of an idea called 5G (aka "F@ck-our-long-time-fans")

IonFan says

Quote:
F**k all the "Haters" 3 years in and i still support our dear leader, one Donald J. Trump
IonFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 06:58 AM   #137
Andrew NDB
Shot Caller

Send a message via Yahoo to Andrew NDB

Huh. Yeah, I guess this probably wouldn't be the best time to get super experimental.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 04:01 AM   #138
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

Good to hear this abortion isn't going to happen.
Old 06-18-2020, 10:54 PM   #139
Hypo
Lil' Leaguer

With the one shots not being solicited and the FCBD issue no longer happening this truly seems to be dead.
Old 06-18-2020, 10:57 PM   #140
Michael Heide
Heide Finition

Is the FCBD one-shot no longer happening, or is it just no longer happening through Diamond?
Michael Heide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 11:04 PM   #141
Hypo
Lil' Leaguer

Hmmm, that's a good point. People are reading into the fact that the Generations issue isn't listed but the Lil' Gotham Batman book is. It's possible they're saving it to distribute through their new partners.
Old 06-18-2020, 11:21 PM   #142
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

I think Marvel is doing FCBD but DC bailed.