The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > General > General/About Us
FLASHCHAT

General

Old 05-25-2020, 07:20 PM   #1
Mister Ed
Horse of a Different Color

Default This might be the final straw...

So, I just learned that my LCS is closing due to this Coronavirus thing. They actually have a couple other locations, but they are not close by. This may well be the thing that ends my comic ďcareerĒ. The prospect of finding another comic shop (if I could even start a box at a new place considering how much my pull list had shrunk) makes me feel grumpy. Right now Iím just getting GL stuff, Justice League, and Young Justice, and if Iím honest I donít really care about Young Justice, donít like the recent direction of Justice League as it ties in with the depressing Metal junk and darkness. GL I will always be a fan of, but there isnít enough of it, and it, too, has a bunch of stuff Iím not that excited about these days. I was getting a 20% box discount. If I lose that, even if it goes down significantly, it just isnít going to feel worth it. And I just canít see going digital. Iím not reading on my phone, and have no other digital devices that Iím not sharing with a house full of people. Plus I donít really LIKE reading comics off a screen.

So does anybody have anything to try to talk me out of just giving it all up? Itíll be a bummer coming right on the heels of essentially losing my Star Trek novel hobby, too.
Old 05-25-2020, 07:56 PM   #2
Space Cop
The Dandy

I'm not going to try to convince you to spend time, gas, or money going out of your way for something you feel blase about at best, but I hope you stick around here at least.

I sympathize. I've been cutting back and I like having the extra money for movies (or old toys).
And he shall judge among the nations, and shall rebuke many people: and they shall beat their swords into plowshares, and their spears into pruninghooks: nation shall not lift up sword against nation, neither shall they learn war any more.
óIsaiah 2:4
Space Cop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 08:04 PM   #3
Mister Ed

I feel like, if I drop comics and Star Trek novels, I’ll probably end up going further into my board game addiction. I’ve probably got too many of those already, but it would be my only real hobby left...
Old 05-25-2020, 10:49 PM   #4
Parrylakks
Comte de la Fere

I pretty much stopped buying comics when I started school back up last year. It helped that Green Arrow had already been cancelled and Roy Harper was killed off, but still. Honestly haven't missed it too much. I still have my old comics to read and reread when I feel like it, and some of that stuff hasn't been read in a decade or more, so while I remember beats, I don't remember it all. Kinda like a movie you don't watch for awhile, it can still entertain.

But yeah, if you're only interested in one book and don't want to journey for it, I'd just recommend turning into a trade collector, and buy them off of Amazon or eBay every six months or so, as they come out. I've actually considered doing that with some stuff recently, myself, and sorta did that during the New 52 era (albeit after the fact, as I bought all the GA TPBs when Rebirth came out, because I had stopped buying the comics, but didn't want the hole in my collection as I began anew).

Aside from that, all I can say is that it's sad to see your hobbies go. I fell out of the MTG bug a few years back due to expense, and it's never been replaced with anything. I wouldn't say it quite feels like a hole, but there's certainly that part of me that wishes I could go out to an FNM to play from time to time. Not that my current situation would much allow for that even if I had the money, but still. Such as it is.
Old 05-26-2020, 01:56 AM   #5
Andrew NDB
Shot Caller

Send a message via Yahoo to Andrew NDB

I'm scared to even see the status of my LCS.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 09:34 AM   #6
Big Blue Lantern
Corps Honor Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Ed View Post
And I just canít see going digital. Iím not reading on my phone, and have no other digital devices that Iím not sharing with a house full of people. Plus I donít really LIKE reading comics off a screen.

So does anybody have anything to try to talk me out of just giving it all up? Itíll be a bummer coming right on the heels of essentially losing my Star Trek novel hobby, too.
I really like the DC Universe streaming service, if that is an option for you. It's much more pleasant reading comics on a high-def TV screen than on a phone.

Also, you could try just buying comics in lots and/or TPBs on Ebay. That won't keep you up-to-date each month, but you can get sweet deals. You could always supplement this by taking the occasional trip to the closest comic shop if there is ever something new that you really want.
Old 05-26-2020, 05:53 PM   #7
Parrylakks
Comte de la Fere

This made me look up the status of the LCS I had been using before I went back to school (which is much too far away for me to use now even if I wanted to), and it looks like they're managing to stay afloat. It helps that they're a games store first and foremost, as well as dealing in used movies and video games, so they seem to be doing relatively fine. It's unfortunate that not all such stores are as lucky.
Old 05-27-2020, 12:41 AM   #8
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

When their habits get broken, people tend to not go back to them. I think MANY businesses won't come back from this.
Trey Strain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 11:15 AM   #9
Rotten2thecorps
Alpha-Lantern

I went digital. I love a floppy in the hand,but there is just not enough space for all those book in my house.
Old 05-27-2020, 12:54 PM   #10
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotten2thecorps View Post
I went digital. I love a floppy in the hand,but there is just not enough space for all those book in my house.
I hear that. I recently split my collection between two rooms (all DC stuff stayed in the den and everything else got moved over to the basement), but I wonít be able to do that again ... and Iím pretty fortunate to have the space I do.
And he shall judge among the nations, and shall rebuke many people: and they shall beat their swords into plowshares, and their spears into pruninghooks: nation shall not lift up sword against nation, neither shall they learn war any more.
Old 05-27-2020, 05:35 PM   #11
Mister Ed

So, I haven't been paying any attention to TPBs lately, since I've just been getting the issues. If I do decide to just switch to Trades, where's the logical place to switch? I'd rather not get trades that have issues I've already bought in them. Where is the next likely breakpoint for GL? Is there a clear guideline I could apply to any title, or does it vary so much that you never know until it is solicited?
Old 05-27-2020, 09:27 PM   #12
Michael Heide
Heide Finition

I'd wait out Season 2. It's 12 issues, although I expect them to split the Paperbacks into two volumes, #1-6 and #7-12. You could make the switch after #6, although I'd finish the volume, that way you don't have a format change mid-run.
Michael Heide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 09:48 PM   #13
Mister Ed

Ugh, I just realized that the Morrison issues are being collected not in TPB form, but HC. Still probably cheaper than getting the issues without a box discount, but more expensive than I thought I would be in for with "trade-waiting".

Looked into finding a new shop, but right now I can't even do that easily, as the other ones in the right area are all closed except for on-line orders and pick-up at the moment, and don't have any details on-line of how to even go about getting a box.

Last edited by Mister Ed; 05-27-2020 at 10:03 PM.
Mister Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 10:42 AM   #14
Big Blue Lantern
Corps Honor Guard

Quote:
Quote:
So, I haven't been paying any attention to TPBs lately, since I've just been getting the issues. If I do decide to just switch to Trades, where's the logical place to switch? I'd rather not get trades that have issues I've already bought in them. Where is the next likely breakpoint for GL? Is there a clear guideline I could apply to any title, or does it vary so much that you never know until it is solicited?
Once I get roughly issues of a non-Green Lantern title, I usually sell them for collected editions or collectibles. Space is at a premium in my collectibles room, so I can only keep items that are my absolute favorites. Otherwise, the room quickly becomes towers of boxes and piles of comics.

Ed, you're at a good time to start trade-sitting as your main method of reading comics. Either of the Morrison seasons would be good starting points, or when Morrison leaves, there will be another organic starting place behind him. Plus, just about everything these days is collected in sequential trades, at least from the big comic companies.
Old 05-29-2020, 11:30 PM   #15
Sylent_Asassin
Black Lantern

My passion for comics died when my car was broken into a few years ago and several issues of GL were stolen along with my two laptops and several other expensive belongings. Before Covid-19, I would attend comic conventions and pick up select arcs and key issues here and there, mostly to be signed, but my heavy comic collecting days are pretty much behind me. Besides, there hasn't been much of a reason to go out of my way to buy books, and GL isn't too popular these days. If I buy anything comic-related these days, it's classic issues, blank covers for sketches, action figures or jerseys. Heck, the last noteworthy book I purchased was GL/GA #85, the Speedy "My ward is a junkie" issue. Got lucky and found it for cheap.

One of my LCS' seems to be doing okay despite the pandemic, but I don't buy many non-TPB's these days unless I like the artist/writer... and that's a short list. This LCS has a pretty heavy online presence and a large following, so they will be okay. In addition, they sell toys, statues, games and other nerdish collectibles, so their business isn't dependent on comics.

I have no idea how my other LCS is doing. Two older gentlemen, a father and son, who don't have an online presence own the shop and they're a comic-specific business, so I would imagine that they're hurting pretty bad. They've been around for several decades and are a pillar of the community, so I hope they survive this pandemic.

If you have a hankering for comics, you can always order them online for cheap- just shipping can be a challenge.

Once this man-made pandemic ends, a vaccine created and distributed, and the threat of sickness and death no longer looms over simply being outside in a crowd, I hope to resume my comic convention escapades. I will never convert to downloading comics to view on a monitor or smart device. I just can't bring myself to read my comics from a computer screen. I would rather do without... but that's just me.
Old 05-29-2020, 11:42 PM   #16
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylent_Asassin View Post
My passion for comics died when my car was broken into a few years ago and several issues of GL were stolen along with my two laptops and several other expensive belongings. . .
That sucks and no judgment, but do you normally keep such random or expensive stuff in your car? I have a friend who keeps his wallet in the car, which is just foreign to my thinking, but if someone broke into my POS car they'd pretty much get away with maybe a magazine, a cheap Bible, an an emergency book (one of those how to start a fire or perform a tracheotomy if you really had to types) and whatever CD I happen to have in the car at that time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylent_Asassin View Post
...I will never convert to downloading comics to view on a monitor or smart device. I just can't bring myself to read my comics from a computer screen. I would rather do without... but that's just me.
Ditto, but I have downloaded a number of comics before on my iPad. Pretty much all of them, though, were comics I don't regularly collect. It's hard to explain, but they were essentially comics that I don't care if they're "really" in my collection or not (mostly Archie and IDW stuff IIRC) and which were cheap or easy to get digitally.

Last edited by Space Cop; 05-29-2020 at 11:44 PM.
Old 05-29-2020, 11:59 PM   #17
Hypo
Lil' Leaguer

Quote:
Ugh, I just realized that the Morrison issues are being collected not in TPB form, but HC. Still probably cheaper than getting the issues without a box discount, but more expensive than I thought I would be in for with "trade-waiting".
Well they're coming out in HC first then TPB so you can still get the TPBs and save some money if you're willing to wait even longer. Instocktrades usually sells the books at ~40% off so that might make the hardcovers more affordable for you.

If your pull list was bigger I'd suggest using their sister site dcbs to get your comics through the mail. I've never used them but have heard good things. They sell the books at a discount with the downsides being you have to preorder everything and they charge for shipping - the latter can be mitigated by setting it up so you receive a single shipment each month with all your comics but with only 3 titles that interest you I'm guessing you wouldn't save much money.
Old 05-30-2020, 12:00 AM   #18
Sylent_Asassin
Black Lantern

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Cop View Post
That sucks and no judgment, but do you normally keep such random or expensive stuff in your car? I have a friend who keeps his wallet in the car, which is just foreign to my thinking, but if someone broke into my POS car they'd pretty much get away with maybe a magazine, a cheap Bible, an an emergency book (one of those how to start a fire or perform a tracheotomy if you really had to types) and whatever CD I happen to have in the car at that time.
I don't. Before work, I went to Walgreen's in the morning, around 7 am to get my wife an anniversary card. I was in the store for less than 10 minutes, parked in front to the store and came back out to two broken windows and my personal and work laptops stolen along with a myriad of personal things in my Swiss backpack (medication, prescription glasses, flash drives, etc.). They even stole my lunch for the day that was in a bag.

I was in DIRECT line-of-sight with TWO surveillance cameras, but the police officer who supposedly reviewed the footage wrote, "Couldn't see anything" in his report. Pretty sure that they figured, "He has insurance, so he'll be alright" and didn't investigate.
Old 05-30-2020, 03:00 AM   #19
Space Cop
The Dandy

^Dang, that's cold. Even the lunch?!
Old 05-30-2020, 06:09 PM   #20
Rotten2thecorps
Alpha-Lantern

I wish they were still doing the hardcover archives books. I would have liked to have the whole run like like that.
Old 05-31-2020, 11:49 AM   #21
Mister Ed

Quote:
I wish they were still doing the hardcover archives books. I would have liked to have the whole run like like that.
Me too. I have a hole in my GL collection because they keep starting over with their attempts to collect old GL comics before they get to that point. (Technically they did collect those issues, but only in a.) a B&W-only collection, which I didnít feel was worth bothering with and is no longer available, and b.) a massive, and very expensive, Omnibus edition that also contains a bunch of issues I already have in Archive form. I didnít feel like I could justify the expense for that.
Old 06-01-2020, 02:58 PM   #22
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

Wouldnt it be nice if DC finally collected all 224+ issues in one format with nice matching trade dress? I gave up years ago because DC kept restarting the series.
Old 06-01-2020, 03:43 PM   #23
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy Dave Skywalker View Post
Wouldnt it be nice if DC finally collected all 224+ issues in one format with nice matching trade dress? I gave up years ago because DC kept restarting the series.
Didn't you buy like a lot of those re-treads?
Old 06-01-2020, 08:30 PM   #24
Rotten2thecorps
Alpha-Lantern

Quote:
Me too. I have a hole in my GL collection because they keep starting over with their attempts to collect old GL comics before they get to that point. (Technically they did collect those issues, but only in a.) a B&W-only collection, which I didnít feel was worth bothering with and is no longer available, and b.) a massive, and very expensive, Omnibus edition that also contains a bunch of issues I already have in Archive form. I didnít feel like I could justify the expense for that.
Yeah I wanted the 80's stuff and the Kyle Stuff. Those books just looked sexy on the shelf.
Old 06-01-2020, 10:31 PM   #25
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Cop View Post
Didn't you buy like a lot of those re-treads?
Yeah I kept buying every trade or collection for years and years. I finally got tired of doing it when I had the early material collected 6 different ways. Now I'll only dip again if DC Carries their omnibus series on into the 80s . It would help if issues 100 through 175 were more in demand.