No announcement yet.

Happy Birthday, Alan Scott/Green Lantern

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In Brightest day, in Blackest Night, no Birthday shall escape my sight!

Even thought this is an old shot, here's my contribution:

Comment

Sorry that I am so late to the party, but I had to state that Alan is a character who I've come to appreciate more and more as I have aged. Happy 75th to the ringslinger who started it all. Sorry the resolution is so poor on this, but I was in a hurry:

Check out my Green Lantern product reviews on Twitter as the Emerald Enthusiast! @EmeraldEnthusi1

Comment

I need to get more Alan figs. I only have the Kingdom Come one (and one of those tiny magazine collector's small lead statues).

Comment

Green Lantern is 80!

Well, DC claims it was Sunday for some reason, but according to Comic Vine, All American Comics #16 (with a July cover date) hit shelves 80 years ago today (May 21, 1940).

So, once again, happy birthday to Alan Scott and Green Lantern.

Comment

DC article. Yes, #12 is ridiculous.

In Brightest Day: Twelve Iconic Moments in the Green Lantern Saga
            Space Cop
            The Dandy
            Last edited by Space Cop; 05-27-2020, 03:22 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Space Cop View Post
              I was shocked that I was in full agreement on every moment... until they ruined it with #12. They need to yank that and go back before GL 87 and add in #76 and then this list would be perfect.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Daddy Dave Skywalker View Post
                I was shocked that I was in full agreement on every moment... until they ruined it with #12. They need to yank that and go back before GL 87 and add in #76 and then this list would be perfect.
                I'd have to disagree with #6. I understand that's it's Guy's 1st appearance, but it's hardly an iconic issue. It's basically one long dream sequence. I've always maintained that issue #87 is both John's *and* Guy's origin because Guy actually does something meaningful to prove he's worthy of the ring. I must admit that the cover is gorgeous, but the actual Guy only makes an cameo.
                Check out my Green Lantern product reviews on Twitter as the Emerald Enthusiast! @EmeraldEnthusi1

Comment

As a kid, my favorite Guy moment was seriously when Hal decked him in vol. 3. I hated him so much at that point and it had been building. It was like a good heel-face storyline.

Since then, I’ve grown to like the character more, btw.
                  Space Cop
                  The Dandy
                  Last edited by Space Cop; 05-27-2020, 01:02 PM.

Comment

Belated happy birthday to the original Green guy. I still remember wanting those old DC Green Lantern golden age archive volumes like mad, and not getting them because they were so frigging expensive. Classic!

Comment

^Yep. I only have vol. 1, but I never got vol. 2 for that reason. I really need to get on that before they're even rarer. It's the only way I've read the Golden-Age stuff.

Space Cop
                      The Dandy
                      Last edited by Space Cop; 05-29-2020, 03:21 AM.

Comment

It's such a shame that DC gave up on the series before it even started. So many golden age stories have been uncollected and thus hard to come by. It annoys me greatly.

Comment

Originally posted by Mister.Weirdo View Post
                          It's such a shame that DC gave up on the series before it even started. So many golden age stories have been uncollected and thus hard to come by. It annoys me greatly.
                          Yeah, it's a shame that things from the last 10+ years can go into hardcover, paperback, Absolute or other prestige edition and meanwhile some classic stuff is impossible to find without breaking the bank.

Comment

I saw an interview with Dan Didio before he was let go where he gave a tour of the new vault after the move to California. He admitted that DCs library is not actually complete and that it was something they were working on.

That could be one very good reason why so many golden age runs have not been collected completely. DC is simply missing some of the issues they need to make the collected editions happen.

Comment

^ The golden age comic stuff was really hardly released. Makes the whole thing aibt frustrating in the long-run.

Comment

Working...
                              X