No announcement yet.

Changes to the original concept

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ultimates managed to keep it interesting and all the characters there were practically gods. Divinity was well done from Valiant. I think that's the kind of super science I would like to see brought to GL.

Yeah I am not very knowledgeable about the Silver Age so those stories slipped by me.
    http://cropsycrypt.blogspot.com/

Comment

• Ramping up the powers has been done and done. How many powers does the Martian Manhunter have, and how many comics does he sell? Why can't Dr. Fate carry a comic? Why can't Dr. Strange? Why can't the Silver Surfer?

That stuff doesn't interest anyone. It's too far removed from what people care about.

I happen to think that the Spectre could carry a title if he were powered down to a reasonable level and were given a life outside super-heroing, but I don't think anyone at DC will realize that. It is, as they say, outside the box.

Comment

• Originally posted by Trey Strain View Post
        That stuff doesn't interest anyone. It's too far removed from what people care about.
        I loved Ultimates and it seemed to get good reviews, and that all dealt with god-like powers and universe shattering events, where cosmically powered gods like Ego and Galactus battled for the fate of the universe. I loved Prophet, that dealt with a lot of god-like beings and powers and heady sci-fi concepts that would not translate well to the screen. Both titles did well from what I know. I think GL can go down the same path and embrace its weirdness.

I understand what you are saying, I simply don't agree that having god-like powers necessarily makes the comic less interesting, or that nobody wants to read a comic that deals with super-science or the metaphysical. It really depends on the writer. This is the only medium where they can potentially convey these complex ideas on the comic panel without worry of restraint; I think GL would be the perfect forum to explore super science those weird cosmic disasters that would not fit into another street level crime fighting title.

And I am referring to a remake scenario, like in response to the first post of the thread. I don't think it would be considered power creep if the GL's started out like that. I just think the construct thing has run its course, I'd like to keep it, but I also want the GL's powers to be so awe inspiring and powerful that they kind of shadow other heroes in the DC universe. People on the street know they can never be Superman, but if they try hard enough, maybe they will win the GL lottery? I don't know, just spit balling ideas here. We are always hearing about writers trying to pigeon hole the Lanterns with new powers, like Baz is learning healing abilities now, Hal with the ring creation and "becoming pure will" stuff, why not just blow the lid off and say they can do pretty much anything with the sufficient amount of will? I think that would be more enabling for writers instead of trying to explain how each new Lantern is so much more special and has different powers than the last
        http://cropsycrypt.blogspot.com/

Comment

Working...
        X