X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

~//V\\~

Comment

Originally posted by -//V\\- View Post
      There have been as many GL's in that future as different versions of the Legion.The most popular is Rond Vidar, who was a genius and secretly a GL after they'd been banished from operating on Earth. The next big one is Sodam Yat, who was prophesied to be the only remaining GLC member in the future. ...
      I was going to post that I thought I remembered Sodom being the final GL then. Now that you say it, I remember both.

Comment

I thought it was odd Saturn Girl showing up in Arkham over in Batman. What if all of a sudden Batman is the inspiration for the Legion? Maybe Superman could lead a new Outsiders too... LOL

Of course I'm kidding. Once Jon Kent gets a little older it'd be cool to see him visit the future, or maybe they could bring Superclone back and let him go Marty McFly...

~//V\\~

Comment

Originally posted by -//V\\- View Post
          I thought it was odd Saturn Girl showing up in Arkham over in Batman. What if all of a sudden Batman is the inspiration for the Legion? Maybe Superman could lead a new Outsiders too... LOL

Of course I'm kidding. Once Jon Kent gets a little older it'd be cool to see him visit the future, or maybe they could bring Superclone back and let him go Marty McFly...

~//V\\~
          The problem with tying any Superboy to the Legion now is that in a 10 year period, DC can go through another 3 Superboys. They never stick with a version for any real length of time anymore. The Legion books can't rely on it.

Comment

They could always go with a descendant of Superman to give them their own S-person. Like Kent Shakespeare, Superman X, or that one female who turned out to be a Manhunter android?

Like the Teen Titans always having a Robin, there's always gonna have to be a Super-person showing up in Legion from time to time. They just change with whatever the mainstream universe does.

~//V\\~

Comment

Re the loss of certain memories -- only the LoS will be subjected to that, and they'll undergo it voluntarily. The silliness that's going on now in the DCU with memory loss, in preparation for bringing the JSA to this time period, was made necessary only by the fact that nobody at DC thought to put the JSA here and now when they launched the New 52.

Instead they decided to build a brand new Earth 2 and an alternate JSA. That was my biggest complaint about the New 52. I said then that they should relaunch the Golden Age characters as new and young, in the present. Why not? That would have worked!

What they're doing now will also work though, as long as they don't water down the team with modern characters or give them a limited mission.

Bringing the LoS to the present will work too.

I betcha.
              Trey Strain
              Guardian of the Universe
              Last edited by Trey Strain; 05-08-2017, 01:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Trey Strain View Post
                I said then that they should relaunch the Golden Age characters as new and young, in the present. Why not? That would have worked!
                That would have sucked. Just like the 52 E2 titles did. The only way you can make the JSA young in the present is to have them bumped through time from WWII like Captain America. And even then it should only be temporary for a story arc. The JSA's appeal is their being anchored to the 1940s. Take that away and you have a team of shitbags like E2.

...You are welcome DC.

Comment

Originally posted by Trey Strain View Post

Bringing the LoS to the present will work too.

I betcha.
                  Legion Lost would like a word with you..

Comment

Originally posted by Big Daddy Dave Targaryen I View Post
                    That would have sucked. Just like the 52 E2 titles did. The only way you can make the JSA young in the present is to have them bumped through time from WWII like Captain America. And even then it should only be temporary for a story arc. The JSA's appeal is their being anchored to the 1940s. Take that away and you have a team of shitbags like E2.

...You are welcome DC.
                    It won't sell that way, Dave. Just like LoS set in the future won't sell.

If a property is performing, you need to leave it alone. If it's underperforming or (like LoS) not performing at all, then you need to change it.

In comics, things tend to get done the other way around. That is, stuff that's making money gets changed, but stuff that's not making money stays the same.

Why? Because of people's egos. No creartor wants to change a property that's not selling, because its continuing to not sell would be his responsibility. They want to change something that's already selling, so they can claim credit for its selling, even though it was going to keep selling anyway unless they completely screwed it up.

There's no possible argument to make against changing something that's bringing in ZERO revenue. You've got to do it.

Comment

RE WWII: The United States was involved in ground fighting in Europe for less than a year. And it happened more than 70 years ago. An ongoing comic that's set then will get a few old-time fans excited, but it won't fly. It would be a niche ongoing, which are impossible to sell now.

You could do flashback minis of the JSA that are set then. But not an ongoing.

Comment

Ok, how would you explain video games like Call of Duty and Battlefield that WW1&2 versions of the franchise selling more than present day war stories?

Comment

Originally posted by "Chosen" View Post
                          Ok, how would you explain video games like Call of Duty and Battlefield that WW1&2 versions of the franchise selling more than present day war stories?
                          This is comics. It's a different medium. For good or for bad, DC and Marvel are about their shared universes. That's not going to change.

Ongoings that are set in the past or the future, or in an alternate reality, won't sell. That's been demonstrated again and again. DC and Marvel are free to keep trying to make them work, but if I were them, I would not like to explain my doing that to my stockholders.

Comment

I liked the JSA when there were older members as well as newer legacy heroes in the cast. It only started to suck when people like Magog, Amazing Man, Americommando [or was he Mr. America now?], etc. joined the JSA with no real ties to it.

Geoff wanted to use the Ray during that iteration but was given a veto by the editors over the Freedom Fighters comics at the time. Apparently when the REAL Ray [90's Ray Terrill] showed up and outed the new Ray [Stan Silver] as working with the enemies of the FF's... the book had a significant bump in sales that issue and the last of that mini series.

Bringing characters in like Stargirl, Atom Smasher, Sand, Tomcat, and Damage are fine... it's bringing in characters with NO ties to past members that makes it feel convoluted. Lightning joined but Black Lightning's NEVER been on the team. Cyclone's aunt or grandmother or whatever was the crossdressing Red Tornado of the 40's so she wasn't as bad. Amazing Man always had ties to the JL in the past. Magog and Judomaster were completely out of left field. Mr. America made no sense.

Back to the topic of the Legion... I think a new approach would be fitting since it's always the same old same old [though the Threeboot DID do some stuff different]. I'd have like three or four classic members return and lead a new generation after their last big battle with enemies wiped out over half their team. Introduce NEW characters based on the older aliens and concepts introduced in Legion. Make the mentors something like Dawnstar, Ultra Boy, Shadow Lass, and Cosmic Boy and then introduce a few newer members. Just not Comet Queen, Dragonwing, etc. from older Legion Academy books/arcs.

~//V\\~
                            Ωmega Man
                            Guardian of the Universe
                            Last edited by Ωmega Man; 05-09-2017, 12:31 AM.

Comment

If you own a company, then you can do whatever you want, as long as you can pay your bills. But if you're running a publicly owned company, then it's not your money that you're spending. You're there to earn your shareholders the best possible return on their investment. Continuing to do things that you like to do but that have been shown not to make money is a dereliction of your duty.

Comment

Dave & Chosen

Your ideas won't work because they're not Trey's. They'd flourish in his proposed minis, and if not who cares. He's willing to change everything for no reason [other than HIS ego, because he wants to change everything]. There's no bringing real facts into the argument. He'd sink DC in a similar fashion to what's going on with Marvel but he'd bring less diversity and not give two shits if it appeals to anybody. Readers of the past, readers from three years ago, who cares about them? If it doesn't sell just change it back to what it was that was selling slightly more, but still less than what DC wanted. No harm no foul.

LMAO.

~//V\\~

Comment

Working...
                                X