The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > Green Lanternverse > Green Lantern Vol. 4
FLASHCHAT

GL Volume 4

Old 12-14-2007, 12:48 AM   #1
ComicGeek
Corps Honor Guard

Default Negative review of GL #25?

http://comicbookresources.com/columns/?column=22

Look down a little bit.
Don't think this kind of pain will ever heal
I gave to you my life and love for years
Look deep in my eyes, my pain do you feel
All I ever wanted was to be loved
Waiting on dad to take me up above"
ComicGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 01:43 AM   #2
Emerald Warrior JS

How stupid is this guy?
Old 12-14-2007, 01:48 AM   #3
Maverick_GL

Send a message via MSN to Maverick_GL

The guy is a tool. Fuck em.

"Weeds. All of them weeds. I am perfection, and I am alone in the garden of the universe." - Cyborg Superman
Maverick_GL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 01:53 AM   #4
Tons T
Alpha-Lantern

yeah he's stupid, its obvious he doesnt like GL
Old 12-14-2007, 01:57 AM   #5
Zechs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComicGeek View Post
CBR has wierd taste sometimes.
Old 12-14-2007, 02:24 AM   #6
Gl Josh
Senior Corps Member

Ok, I REALLY DOUBT this guy has been reading GL for sometime. We knew about the "other" rings back in 20 and I sorry but the Despot fight was friggin sweet! It was a great way to bring back another non-used character.
Originally Posted by BatmanofSector2814 View Post
I have yet to see Avatar, mainly because it is the plot of Pocahontas wrapped in a "Halo vs World of Warcraft" flavored, CGI heavy shell...and I've already seen Pocahontas and played all 5 Halos...so....
Gl Josh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 02:33 AM   #7
Maverick_GL

Send a message via MSN to Maverick_GL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gl Josh View Post
Ok, I REALLY DOUBT this guy has been reading GL for sometime. We knew about the "other" rings back in 20 and I sorry but the Despot fight was friggin sweet! It was a great way to bring back another non-used character.
It doesn't come across like this guy is a fan of GL at all. In fact, reading his other reviews, I don't even see why this guy reads comics at all.

"Weeds. All of them weeds. I am perfection, and I am alone in the garden of the universe." - Cyborg Superman
Maverick_GL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 06:15 AM   #8
Ion2814
Corpse Trainee

He's not. He hasn't liked the crossover since it started in Sinestro Corps Special. So the negative review isnt entirely unwarranted or unexpected. And that's what it is, it's a paragraph review. Nothing to call him names over.
Ion2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 07:37 AM   #9
Nived

Some people find enjoyment by ruining other people's enjoyment of something. You'll notice that these people never 'dislike' something, but rather the thing 'sucks'. Therefore it is not their tastes that are at fault, but the thing, further more anyone who does like it must be wrong because clearly the thing 'sucks'.
Old 12-15-2007, 10:11 AM   #10
Tons T
Alpha-Lantern

he sucks, and the guy in the picture SUcks too
Old 12-15-2007, 03:32 PM   #11
Lundonj

I've read a lot of his reviews over the years, he just isn't into the classic superhero genre very much. He seems like he is more into the deconstruction side of the genre, i.e., early Frank Miller, Watchmen, etc.

And yeah, it seems like he doesn't like much anymore.

To each their own, but I don't sweat reviews either way. I used to read a bunch more reviews on comics, movies, books, etc, until I realized it didn't matter much to me whether people like what I like or not.

-Don
Old 12-15-2007, 08:28 PM   #12
GLC2814.4

This dude can kiss my hairy beanbag
Old 12-15-2007, 09:20 PM   #13
HalJordan4ever
Kilowog's Recruit

Normally, I'd say let the man have his opinion. But this is GL#25 we're talking about. I would go as far as to say that it is the best single issue ever. Probably one of the most satisfying conclusions to any arc I have ever read. It doesn't get better than this. At times, it felt more like I was watching a kick-ass summer blockbuster rather than reading a comic book. And it felt especially cinematic when they left book off with the cliffhanger for the next installment in the trilogy. I felt a feeling of something to look forward to, as if it were Lord the Rings movie I would have to wait another year to see.

Fuck, I am going to read it again right now.

/end fanboy rant.
HalJordan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 09:35 PM   #14
Greenlant78
Sinestro's Sparring Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalJordan4ever View Post
Normally, I'd say let the man have his opinion. But this is GL#25 we're talking about. I would go as far as to say that it is the best single issue ever. Probably one of the most satisfying conclusions to any arc I have ever read. It doesn't get better than this. At times, it felt more like I was watching a kick-ass summer blockbuster rather than reading a comic book. And it felt especially cinematic when they left book off with the cliffhanger for the next installment in the trilogy. I felt a feeling of something to look forward to, as if it were Lord the Rings movie I would have to wait another year to see.

Fuck, I am going to read it again right now.
That about covers it. Best ending I've read in years.
Old 12-15-2007, 10:46 PM   #15
Brother Eye
Green Lantern Initiate

For me it was a very so-so issue. I'm not a big fan of splash pages and this book was just overkill. The only one that I thought was really warranted was the one at the end where the Black Lantern was formed and sitting on top of that spire. I did like the two on one fist fight towards the end and I also liked the Guardians actually doing something for a change.

I don't like the whole multi corps thing. It just seems way to much like bad fan fiction to me. After reading a recent interview with Geoff Johns he said that after the next two story arcs which are the Alpha Lanterns and the Year One story arc with Hal, he said that they would be introducing the Red Lanterns in "Rage of the Red Lanterns" which I think is going to be my jumping off point for GL unless I think The Blackest Night is something that may intrigue me but time will tell.

Over all I thought it was just a "meh" issue. I mean none of the major bad guys die, the good guys rebuild and then run off to do there own thing and looks like were right back to where we were before the War. I just didn't feel like there was any real resolution and I kinda like big stories to have it.

But that is just my opinion.

Last edited by Brother Eye; 12-15-2007 at 11:42 PM.
Brother Eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 12:10 AM   #16
raynersraider

In general, I was fine with the issue, but I am VERY fearful that the whole multi-colored Corps is going to stink like week-old fish. I think Geoff is playing a dangerous game of "how can I top this" and this idea isn't nearly as cool as he thinks it's going to be.

I have a bad feeling that they're going to make Kyle's Mom or Alex DeWitt one of the Black Lanterns, because they love to remind everyone that Kyle has dead loved ones so he can twist in the wind.

The rest of the issue, like I said, was fine, but things wrapped up in a bow just a little too nicely.

Sorry if I'm a little negative. Bad day.
Old 12-16-2007, 01:26 AM   #17
kilowog

I read Hannibal Tabu's column every week. To me he's a lot like Siskel and Ebert...er...Ebert and whoever....anyway, I almost always completely disagree with everything he says. He loves the comics I hate. He hates the comics I love. I totally respect his right to voice his opinion, but it can get a little annoying to see him constantly bash superhero comics.

And for the record: GL #25 rocked. It and the first Sinestro Corps issue are the only books I've read more than once in a long time.
Old 12-17-2007, 12:20 AM   #18
Kane2814
Weaponer of Qward

I wasn't so thrilled with this issue (or this storyarc in general).

The art was amazing, so let's get that out of the way. Nothing wrong there.

My problem was with the fact that this was 11 issues plus several specials and I really felt like it was all just one big fight. There was stuff here and there I enjoyed, but it really seemed like the plot was nothing more than "the bad guys attack, everyone fights, the bad guys lose".

They managed to inject some characterization in the Sin Corps specials, but it was more characterization than the heroes got, and it would've been nice to see as much characterization in the *main story*.

I'll admit to being biased in wanting to see Hal really shine. Ganthet mentions how Hal needs to lead and be a beacon of hope or somesuch, but what was the payoff? I get that the Coast City thing was meant to be the payoff, but was Hal shown to be inspiring? No - he told them all to run.

And maybe it's just because they just did it in "Justice", but I don't need to see Hal vs. Sinestro hand to hand *again* (oh yeah, they went hand to hand in "Emerald Twilight" too didn't they?) And I know Johns wants to reinforce this whole "Four Musketeers" thing, but I want more Hal! Did kyle fans enjoy seeing him shoehorned into the fight with Sinestro? He seemed just thrown in there to me, just to give him something to do.

The last thing that bothered me about the Sin War is something that's been bothering me about a lot of stories the last several years - is that they're able to get us all excited about future stories due to the coolness of the concept (the Black lantern Corps! The Corps War! ooooh!!) but the payoff doesn't live up to the potential. Here they loaded it up with the biggest of the bad in the DCU but I feel like it just got too crowded. And Jonhs is smart to inject excitement about the future into this issue to make the resolution seem more exciting - I feel like so many stories now just act as a way to get you excited about the *next* thing, never mind that the current story doesn't have such a great payoff.

Last edited by Kane2814; 12-17-2007 at 12:25 AM.
Kane2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 07:04 PM   #19
raynersraider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kane2814 View Post
I wasn't so thrilled with this issue (or this storyarc in general).

The art was amazing, so let's get that out of the way. Nothing wrong there.

My problem was with the fact that this was 11 issues plus several specials and I really felt like it was all just one big fight. There was stuff here and there I enjoyed, but it really seemed like the plot was nothing more than "the bad guys attack, everyone fights, the bad guys lose".

They managed to inject some characterization in the Sin Corps specials, but it was more characterization than the heroes got, and it would've been nice to see as much characterization in the *main story*.

I'll admit to being biased in wanting to see Hal really shine. Ganthet mentions how Hal needs to lead and be a beacon of hope or somesuch, but what was the payoff? I get that the Coast City thing was meant to be the payoff, but was Hal shown to be inspiring? No - he told them all to run.

And maybe it's just because they just did it in "Justice", but I don't need to see Hal vs. Sinestro hand to hand *again* (oh yeah, they went hand to hand in "Emerald Twilight" too didn't they?) And I know Johns wants to reinforce this whole "Four Musketeers" thing, but I want more Hal! Did kyle fans enjoy seeing him shoehorned into the fight with Sinestro? He seemed just thrown in there to me, just to give him something to do.

The last thing that bothered me about the Sin War is something that's been bothering me about a lot of stories the last several years - is that they're able to get us all excited about future stories due to the coolness of the concept (the Black lantern Corps! The Corps War! ooooh!!) but the payoff doesn't live up to the potential. Here they loaded it up with the biggest of the bad in the DCU but I feel like it just got too crowded. And Jonhs is smart to inject excitement about the future into this issue to make the resolution seem more exciting - I feel like so many stories now just act as a way to get you excited about the *next* thing, never mind that the current story doesn't have such a great payoff.
I agree with pretty much all of that.