Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HBO Max's Green Lantern starring Guy, Jessica, Simon and Alan

THR: 'Green Lantern': Seth Grahame-Smith to Write, Showrun HBO Max Series
    HBO Max’s Green Lantern series has powered up its lantern, landing its showrunner.

Seth Grahame-Smith, the Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter novelist-turned-screenwriter of such movies as The Lego Batman Movie, will act as showrunner of the DC Comics-based series and co-write the inaugural episode with Marc Guggenheim, the co-creator of DC shows Arrow and Legends of Tomorrow.

Lantern, a one-hour drama, has been given a 10 episode straight-to-series order. It hails from Berlanti Productions and Warner Bros. Television. Greg Berlanti and Geoff Johns, the comics author-turned-DC show creator, were involved in the 2011 Green Lantern movie as was Guggenheim. While the movie didn’t shine green at the box office, the show is being seen as a way to course correct and re-introduce one of the longest-lasting names in superhero comics.

The makers are describing the show as a saga spanning decades and galaxies And will feature a host of Green Lanterns, the galactic police officers that patrol the known and unknown universe. The show will focus on Earth-centric Lanterns Guy Gardner, Jessica Cruz, Simon Baz, and Alan Scott and will also have alien Lanterns such as fan-favorite Kilowog, as well as Sinestro, a former Lantern now turned villain.

Scott is the original Green Lantern, first introduced in 1940’s All-American Comics #16. In the past decade, he has been receated as a gay character. Gardner was created in the 1960s and has a tough-talking, fists first attitude. Cruz, a Latina, and Bax, a Muslim-American, are more recent creations. Lanterns Hal Jordan, perhaps the best known character in the franchise, John Stewart and Kyle Raynor are not part of the show.

Many details are being kept on the planet Oa but the show is rumoured to possibly being the most expensive show coming from Berlanti, one of the most prolific producers working in TV today.

The show is in the breaking down the story stage and could be, factoring directors and casting, in production by mid-next year.

Grahame-Smith wrote Vampire Hunter and Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, best-sellers that both received high-profile adaptations. Grahame-Smith also wrote Timo Burton’s Dark Shadows and was a producer on Stephen King’s It and executive producer on It: Chapter Two. He is repped by WME and Morris Yorn.

Im Happy for Allan scott and guy but blah on baz and cruz
    .................................................. ..........................

Cnn = constant nasuating nonsense

Comment

Well, I hope this is good. I won't be watching it until it comes to DVD in any case, but it would be nice if it didn't suck, if only because that would probably kill any plans for more GL stuff for the foreseeable future. I'm wary of the fact that they mention the "recreation" of Alan Scott, as I'd prefer one more faithful to the original version.

(Isn't the new version gone from comics by now? I thought they had just recently brought back a more traditional version? Would be odd to go back to that just for the TV show.)

This is missing all three of my favorite Earth GLs, so that isn't making me super optimistic either (though I like Guy fine these days).

Comment

Berlanti really doesn't like shows with "green" in the title of his shows, does he? Lol! Interesting that they're not going with John or Hal out the bat.

Comment

Originally posted by Mister.Weirdo View Post
          Berlanti really doesn't like shows with "green" in the title of his shows, does he? Lol! Interesting that they're not going with John or Hal out the bat.
          Imo berlanti Should not do this. Give it to someone with no agenda for pc reasons i mean shit super girls 6th season is its last do to poor ratings. Id like to see del toro take a crack at it. Im in the minority who is glad Alan scott and guy are getting a chance to shine. I have this wild idea to have a series with alan scott in the 30's like a period piece . Keep it to the original origin not the current version
          TazzMission
          Guardian of the Universe
          Last edited by TazzMission; 10-09-2020, 09:36 PM.

Comment

Jessica and Baz and not a trace of Kyle. Wow, Geoff really does have his little weasel hands into this. He wants that residual money, for sure.

Also, how much you want to bet the only reason Alan Scott is in this is because they're going to go with the gay version of him? Think about it. Jessica and Baz there for diversity and women empowerment, Alan there to represent the LGBTQ, and Guy there to be the sole "straight white male" presence... and Guy will probably constantly be made fun of and do goofy things.

Comment

Shit! I was right. They're going with Gay Alan:

https://deadline.com/2020/10/seth-gr...ax-1234594615/

"The drama will depict the adventures of a multitude of Lanterns, including Guy Gardner, Jessica Cruz, Simon Baz and Alan Scott — Earth’s first Green Lantern, who, true to the comics, is a gay man — and many more."

Comment

^I wasn’t going to be getting Max anyway, but I can already tell what this show is going for and I don’t need it.

And “true to the comics”? As in in an 80-year run, about two of those (which are done) depicted an alternate-reality version that was gay. That couldn’t be more of a stretch if they cast an African American to play Punisher and said it was “true to the comic.”
                Space Cop
                The Dandy
                Last edited by Space Cop; 10-11-2020, 04:12 AM.

Comment

Yeah, this is just poised to be more latter day terrible Arrowverse indoctrination drek. With a bigger budget.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew NDB View Post
                    Yeah, this is just poised to be more latter day terrible Arrowverse indoctrination drek. With a bigger budget.
                    I cant be the only one thinking puns regarding a gay alan scott and him being weak to wood am i?

Comment

Aaaaand I don't think I'm gonna bother with this. Hopefully the movies focus on the other three Lanterns cause all of what I'm reading sounds like garbage. Somebody finally got that wish granted with Alan being included in the GLC though LMAO. And of course they made him gay, all 80 years of his history doesn't bring NEARLY as much to the table as a sexual orientation change.

They're actually going forward with a series featuring NONE of the characters who've carried the legacy in the comics and other media.

It's the same thing with the comics at this point. DC wants to push the sector partners gimmick here and there but nobody will let Hal and Kyle share a comic regularly... why? Its quite literally the best option, they're the two most successful leads in the comics!

Comment

On the bright side, Kyle's surprise exclusion from this show probably means he WILL be in the GLC movie.

On the not so bright side, the GLC movie isn't any closer to getting made than it was 5 years ago.

Comment

On the bright side, Kyle's surprise exclusion from this show probably means he WILL be in the GLC movie.
                          There focusing on the now with gay alan scott, guy, cruz and baz right? What if its possible Kyle is already a white lantern on the show?
                          TazzMission
                          Guardian of the Universe
                          Last edited by TazzMission; 10-12-2020, 04:02 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by TazzMission View Post
                            There focusing on the now with gay alan scott, guy, cruz and baz right? What if its possible Kyle is already a white lantern on the show?
                            I doubt those guys involved want anything to do with Kyle as a White Lantern. If anything, the bits in the articles I'm seeing about, "the show revolves around Guy, Alan, Jessica, and Baz and also new recruits to the Corps as it goes on" are curious. As in, we could get Kyle joining the Corps over the course of the show, possibly. How crappy would that be, though? Kyle as a junior Lantern trainee beside Baz and Jessica, who are senior, experienced GLs.

Comment

I doubt those guys involved want anything to do with Kyle as a White Lantern. If anything, the bits in the articles I'm seeing about, "the show revolves around Guy, Alan, Jessica, and Baz and also new recruits to the Corps as it goes on" are curious. As in, we could get Kyle joining the Corps over the course of the show, possibly. How crappy would that be, though? Kyle as a junior Lantern trainee beside Baz and Jessica, who are senior, experienced GLs.
                              They also say surprises

Comment

Working...
                              X