The Green Lantern by Grant Morrison and Liam Sharp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ωmega Man View Post
    Shorter stories though! Oh man, that's what I've been waiting on for awhile now. Now if there were even a hint of good news about Kyle showing up somewhere I'd be in heaven.

Hopefully he dies like the 4chan leaks suggest.

Comment

Originally posted by Trey Strain View Post
      Well, he's going to write Hal, and apparently for 12 issues. How big is that? I don't know. Twelve issues isn't many, and he doesn't seem to be changing anything fundamentally.

I don't think Green Lanterns is going anywhere though. I think they're moving Guy and Kyle into that comic, which will suck.

So far I'm not impressed, although I imagine that The Green Lantern will sell.

Maybe that will change.
      I believe Green Lanterns will be cancelled, and Guy Gardner and Kyle Rayner shelved or gotten rid of some kind of way. Baz, too. I think DC will only move forward with the three Green Lanterns that are accounted for (Hal Jordan, John Stewart, and Jessica Cruz). I don't think that Green Lantern Corps will relaunch.
      ZATSWAN.COM Zatswan: Multiversal Guardian, the brand new cosmic comic book, now available!

Comment

Never thought i'd be happy about a Morrisson written GL. But after years of Venditti's mediocre and forgettable GL stories, i'm happy to get Hal going back to basics. I'm cautious but excited to be able to read a Hal Jordan GL book again
        "If at first you don't succeed, try Kyle again!".

Comment

Originally posted by Star-Lantern View Post
          I believe Green Lanterns will be cancelled, and Guy Gardner and Kyle Rayner shelved or gotten rid of some kind of way. Baz, too. I think DC will only move forward with the three Green Lanterns that are accounted for (Hal Jordan, John Stewart, and Jessica Cruz). I don't think that Green Lantern Corps will relaunch.
          I can't see them just getting rid of Guy and Kyle like that. They'll have to do something with them if GLC is going and Hal is joining Baz and Cruz in GLs.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnMc View Post
            I can't see them just getting rid of Guy and Kyle like that. They'll have to do something with them if GLC is going and Hal is joining Baz and Cruz in GLs.
            Hal isn't joining GLs.

Comment

Not a fan of the exaggerated proportions, but overall, I'm happy with how he depicts Hal. The more important thing of course will be the characterization. I don't see how Morrison sees Hal as a loner - he was best friends with Ollie and Barry (and Tom) and was definitely close with Superman (something that's starting to come back) And of course he got along well with his fellow corpsmen. He really only ever had a problem with Carol, who wanted Hal to be more dedicated to her and her company.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnMc View Post
                GLC will not be going on, and Hal Jordan is getting his own title.

If you really pay attention, the only Green Lantern that editorial really values is Hal Jordan. And that isn't me complaining about anything, it's just me stating the fact as I see it.

DiDio apparently said that this series is meant to recenter the franchise on Hal Jordan and show why he's important. Now... the franchise has been more or less centered on Hal Jordan for 15 or so years, and he's pretty much been the only Green Lantern who has been important. After all, his name was on the title of Hal Jordan and the Green Lantern Corps. Despite that being a dumb, unwieldy, and not particularly marketable title, DC still made it a point to tell readers Hal Jordan was the important character in that book, and then there was everybody else behind him. What need is there to recenter things on this character when it's already centered on him? If you read between the lines, I think what was being said is that DC wants to focus Green Lantern on just him, and these other Green Lanterns, even if they are ultimately unimportant, detract some from focusing on Hal Jordan.

What this instance tells me is that even when sales are poor when Hal Jordan is at the helm, current editorial will take that out on all those other unimportant Green Lanterns and just reset things back to Hal Jordan again (again, just stating things as I see them). Previous editorial regimes would switch leads for a time, or have a more even team book, like the original Green Lantern Corps title, but not this regime. If Hal Jordan doesn't work out, they'll just try Hal Jordan again and try to find a way for him to work out. Those other characters will not get a worthwhile shot, and this is what largely makes them unimportant. We've seen that over the past 15 years. One can make a flimsy case for Baz and Cruz, but they were still behind Hal Jordan's shadow as I saw it.

So, if the only Green Lantern that matters is Hal Jordan (from editorial's point of view), and if you can only sell maybe one Green Lantern book, because the market hasn't shown much interest in buying more than that, what point is there to all these other characters? Since DC seems to see things like that, I can certainly see the powers that be whacking some of these other Green Lanterns or removing them.
                Star-Lantern
                Weaponer of Qward
                Last edited by Star-Lantern; 07-21-2018, 09:37 PM.
                ZATSWAN.COM Zatswan: Multiversal Guardian, the brand new cosmic comic book, now available!

Comment

#MKGA

Make Kyle Great Again

Comment

I doubt DC is going to kill any of the other human GLs, I just don't think we are going to see most (if any) of them for a while. They will be safely tucked away and brought back out when editorial feels they are needed.

Comment

Hell, I am actually getting excited for what they say they want to do with Hal Jordan in this new title. It sounds exactly like what I have been missing and wanting as a Green Lantern fan.

Comment

Also sounds MIGHTY convenient that DC waits and puts real effort into GL a mere year and a half before the next Green Lantern movie is supposed to come out. Like they know the clock is ticking and they need to start herding the lost readers back before the movie gets here.

Comment

Hal’s been in the spotlight for 13 years, when is it Kyle’s turn again?

Comment

Probably not ever honestly. Hal is the main chatacter of the franchise. Kyle lost much of his appeal when he wasn't new anymore. They have Cruz and Baz covering the new department. And even that new car smell has almost left them.

I'm not saying this to be a dink or anything, it's sincerely what I feel the attitude is from the powers that be to these characters. They all have a monetary value to the company in one degree or another. IMO (which yes, IS just an opinion) if DC decided to main event another human GL instead of Hal, it would be John Stewart or Jessica Cruz. They have something to offer that Guy Hal and Kyle don't. One is a minority and the other is a woman. They both could be revamped or repackaged with new origins to make them more appealing if need be. But all the others can be looked at by casual fans as interchangable white guys.

Comment

Also consider this; The GL franchise as we know it turns 60 next year in 2019 (forget Alan for a minute, he was the prototype and his short 10 year run was followed by a dormant 7 years.)

For 50 of those 60 years, Hal has been the main GL one way or another. As time goes on, 1995-2005 becomes a proportionately smaller and smaller chunk of the overall life of the GL franchise.

Comment

But Kyle is Latino! So there’s a chance.

Comment

Working...
                                X