Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > General > General/About Us
FLASHCHAT

General

Old 05-25-2014, 11:56 AM   #1001
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booster Beetle View Post
The only one with Ghidorah I saw was Godzilla vs Monster Zero, I'll look for Ghidorah the Three-Headed Monster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent Purple View Post
You might also want to check out Astro-Monster, (Attack of or Invasion of, can't remember). Ghidorah's in that as well.
That's what he saw. Godzilla vs. Monster Zero is the American name for Invasion of Astro-Monster. The difference of titles in old Japanese and Chinese films gets rather confusing. I like them both, but Ghidorah has a better plot imho and has the benefit of including my girls-the twin fairies and the twin Mothra larvae (bit of a bummer that they don't metamorphose in it).

Last edited by Space Cop; 05-25-2014 at 11:58 AM.
Space Cop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 06:29 PM   #1002
Hypo
Lil' Leaguer

I saw the movie yesterday and thought it was good but not great. Like a lot of other people I felt like there wasn't enough monster vs. monster action in the movie. Don't get me wrong, I felt like the build up and origin aspects of the movie were well done but the constant cutaways from the fight scenes were annoying. The human element of the film was also kind of weak, the actors weren't bad or anything but the script didn't give them a lot to do in terms of developing as two dimensional characters. Overall I'd give it a B+, but maybe with an additional ~10 minutes of Godzilla vs. MUTO action it could've been an A+.
Old 05-26-2014, 02:35 AM   #1003
Jeff
Guardian of the Universe

Old 05-26-2014, 04:02 AM   #1004
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOOM View Post
I was actually THINKING that while I was watching the movie!!!
Old 05-26-2014, 09:34 AM   #1005
IonFan
Forum Member

ok that was good

IonFan says

Quote:
F**k all the "Haters" 3 years in and i still support our dear leader, one Donald J. Trump
IonFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 01:29 AM   #1006
Jeff
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by IonFan View Post
ok that was good
Holy Shit. That's 2 THINGS we agree on.

The weatherman from hell just called, it's snowing. LOL

Maybe if you take me off your list, we can see what else we agree on.
Old 05-28-2014, 02:04 AM   #1007
Jeff
Guardian of the Universe

Old 05-28-2014, 05:07 PM   #1008
Sylent_Asassin
Black Lantern

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypo View Post
I saw the movie yesterday and thought it was good but not great. Like a lot of other people I felt like there wasn't enough monster vs. monster action in the movie. Don't get me wrong, I felt like the build up and origin aspects of the movie were well done but the constant cutaways from the fight scenes were annoying. The human element of the film was also kind of weak, the actors weren't bad or anything but the script didn't give them a lot to do in terms of developing as two dimensional characters. Overall I'd give it a B+, but maybe with an additional ~10 minutes of Godzilla vs. MUTO action it could've been an A+.
Pretty much this. Less useless human interaction and more monster fighting would have made this movie great. The most irritating thing about this movie was the false promise of Godzilla and the MUTO fighting. They would show them squaring off, then the camera would pan down to the civilians. Even worse, they would show the devastation to the city afterwards, so I felt like I was cheated out of some great battle scenes.
Old 05-28-2014, 06:19 PM   #1009
Darth_Primus
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOOM View Post
Awesome Gif! That's one of the many things I loved about this film and that's whenever Godzilla made an appearance onscreen, it would be somewhat of a classic hero entrance. As he was going to kick some ass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypo View Post
I understand where you're coming from. I spoke to a few people that saw the film and they were very, very frustrated with the cutaways from the fight scenes. It might them angry, that's why I didn't try to convince JV on seeing this film.

I enjoyed the film on the level of the original 1954 flick, where Godzilla didn't appear much at all either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylent_Asassin View Post
Pretty much this. Less useless human interaction and more monster fighting would have made this movie great. The most irritating thing about this movie was the false promise of Godzilla and the MUTO fighting. They would show them squaring off, then the camera would pan down to the civilians. Even worse, they would show the devastation to the city afterwards, so I felt like I was cheated out of some great battle scenes.
I had a feeling this would be your opinion of the film since you're a huge Godzilla fan, and you're not alone. I spoke to the guys at the LCS and they hated the film. They looked pissed off. I can see where they're coming from. I would have liked more Godzilla too.

I really enjoyed what little Godzilla we got, like the scene where Aaron Taylor Johnson was headed out of Chinatown and he came face-to-face with Godzilla, and Godzilla looked at him with the expression of his face "I'm damn exhausted chasing and fighting these MUTOs." I just want to take a nap." And then the final battle where Godzilla holds open the mouth of the female MUTO and just unleashed his atomic breathe down her throat was just so awesome. The film could have definitely benefited from that. The film could have also benefited from having a mini-boss monster somewhere in the middle of the film.
Old 05-28-2014, 07:14 PM   #1010
Sylent_Asassin
Black Lantern

The biggest nagging issue I had with the film was that Godzilla was a plot device in his own movie. The movie didn't really seem to be about Godzilla, but the MUTO's and a soldier's plight to reunite with his family. As side stories, that's great, but that seemed to be the main theme and focus throughout the film, especially towards the end; Godzilla was simply there to move the story along. If we got more monster battles and less useless human interaction, it could have balanced the scales a bit.

The beginning of the film was great, though. They did a masterful job of setting everything up, but the main star didn't get enough screen time in his own movie. Kind of reminds me of Blade III, where the focus isn't really on him, but the cast around him.
Old 05-28-2014, 07:29 PM   #1011
Darth_Primus
Guardian of the Universe

I would agree somewhat to the notion that Godzilla is a plot device, as he is a a force of nature like a tsunami or earthquake.

I'm hoping that the follow up sequel is what people expected in this film, and that's a very heavy dose of Godzilla and no more cutaways during fight scenes. I would also like a thinner Godzilla.
Old 05-28-2014, 08:14 PM   #1012
Jeff
Guardian of the Universe

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Primus View Post
I would also like a thinner Godzilla.

*Nice Turnaround there. lol
Old 05-28-2014, 08:17 PM   #1013
Booster Beetle
Will break before he bends

I love that Godzilla design, I have no problems with it at all

Booster Beetle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 08:27 PM   #1014
Darth_Primus
Guardian of the Universe

For the most part I don't have any problems with Godzilla's design. It just the head and neck area. His head seems to be too small for his body and there's really no definition of his neck.

Here's a great review of the film from "Sam" who is quickly becoming my favorite movie reviewer.

"Sam" tries his best to avoid spoilers, but he can't with his very good break down and analyst of the movie.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Last edited by Darth_Primus; 05-28-2014 at 08:29 PM.
Darth_Primus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 09:13 PM   #1015
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
I'm hoping that the follow up sequel is what people expected in this film, and that's a very heavy dose of Godzilla and no more cutaways during fight scenes. I would also like a thinner Godzilla.
I would give up any and all expectations for the Legend series if the success of this would just drive Toho to make a Japanese Godzilla movie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booster Beetle View Post
I love that Godzilla design, I have no problems with it at all
Quote:
For the most part I don't have any problems with Godzilla's design. It just the head and neck area. His head seems to be too small for his body and there's really no definition of his neck.
Well, the design wasn't my main problem (again with the understanding I mostly liked the film), but I still think his feet are too stubby.

Old 05-29-2014, 12:00 AM   #1016
IonFan
Forum Member

his feet are too god d@mn fat if you ask me

IonFan says

Quote:
F**k all the "Haters" 3 years in and i still support our dear leader, one Donald J. Trump
IonFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 03:08 PM   #1017
Lex Luthor
Corps Honor Guard

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Cop View Post
I don't know where Lex has been. He's another die-hard fan.
Hey, SC. Thanks for the mention, and here's my belated Spoiler filled Review:

To start I have to say that I found Legendary's Godzilla film to be a very enjoyable film, and especially so as a hardcore Godzilla fan. Edwards, much to his credit, managed to pay homage to almost every part of Godzilla's 60 years of history. Which was greatly appreciated. Yes, from the disaster/horror aspects of the 1954 original classic, to the heroic Godzilla of the late Showa era, and also the occasionally helpful force of nature of the Heisei/Millennial era. Just simply nothing short of being simply outstanding!

**SPOILER** Can't say if I was truly surprised that Godzilla wasn't portrayed as being antagonistic in this film except towards the MUTOs. I kinda got that impression from some trailer footage, but nothing concrete of course. Though, yes, Godzilla definitely does cause significant collateral damage, Godzilla however, doesn't truly rampage in this film and consistently dives under the various naval vessels that attempt to block his path. Indeed, Godzilla's late appearance is due to him responding to the MUTOs, who share his origin as ancient creatures from prehistory (something of which is more elaborated upon in the Godzilla Awakening graphic novel. In one notable moment Godzilla ends up saving two buses full of school children by inadvertently shielding them from incoming military fire after the buses are caught on a bridge in his path. Which was very Gamera.**SPOILER**

I understand there is a consensus that are disappointed by how much screentime Godzilla gets (or lack thereof); but the one thing that this film does in spades, is buildup, buildup, BUILDUP. As when Godzilla actually does make his grand appearance, the scene is achieved so well that it literally made me grin more than a little, and I'm not known for being outwardly expressive a lot of the time.

**SPOILER** And yes, Godzilla does have his atomic ray and, and yes, his dorsal plates light up when he uses it. I have to say I quite enjoyed how it's introduced in the film where it's used in having only the tail spines glow at first, showing it takes some time to build and creating that extra bit of anticipation for anyone who understands the significance. However, every time it is used, Godzilla is clearly exhausted afterwards, which explains why it takes so long for the atomic breath to show up. But yes, it's used very effectively, and in the scene where Godzilla did his atomic ray fatality, the people in the screening I attended cheered. Pure Awesome moment. **SPOILER**

With the portrayal of the military, for all intents and purposes, they are portrayed as being decent people, and the movie never goes out of its way to criticize the nuke strategy, though unfortunately, they succeed in unintentionally making matters worse, despite the warnings of Ken Watanabe's Dr. Serizawa. Ultimately, this is highly appropriate for a Godzilla film, so I approve.

**SPOILER** With the human characters, I was, *initially*, sad to see Cranston, and his dramatic line deliveries, go so soon, but in the end, I thought that decision worked out very well for the film itself. As I really appreciated that Watanabe's Serizawa was portrayed as a quiet, restrained, but very astute type of character. For me, Serizawa matches Godzilla as a balancing force of nature. ** END SPOILER**

Overall quick assessment: The film looks very modern, but still feels like a big love letter to each of the Godzilla eras (Showa/Heisei/Millennium) in the Toho movies. The buildup, and there is ALOT of buildup, is definitely pretty tense and exciting, the destruction, of course, is impressive, very much a spectacle, and the whole thing is, I believe, true to the Godzilla character. Course I could nitpick, but overall, I don't really have anything to complain about.

Grade: B or B-

It's not perfect, and ATJ being the most dull out of the human characters certainly didn't help since he was the main character (Olsen was alright), but I found this to be a very solid Godzilla movie. Probably not what I would have preferred for a complete reboot, but I wouldn't feel right giving it a C or anything below that. Enjoyed this too much.

Lex Luthor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 03:23 PM   #1018
gamerajon
Weaponer of Qward

One of my main gripes, is too little Bryan Cranston and Ken Watnanabe was looking like he was stoned through the film... Cranston actually provided the strongest human element in the film and could made it much more satisfying to me if was all the way through it...
Old 05-30-2014, 04:52 PM   #1019
Darth_Primus
Guardian of the Universe

Great review, Lex. I enjoyed the film too. It was actually one of a very set of rare films that I wouldn't to see immediately again.

I actually to want to see it again in a theater but by now it's probably moved to a smaller theaters in the cineplex which doesn't feel like a true theatrical experience. I can't wait to own this movie on blu ray and catch all the extras and special features.
Old 05-30-2014, 05:53 PM   #1020
Lex Luthor
Corps Honor Guard

Quote:
Great review, Lex. I enjoyed the film too. It was actually one of a very set of rare films that I wouldn't to see immediately again.

I actually to want to see it again in a theater but by now it's probably moved to a smaller theaters in the cineplex which doesn't feel like a true theatrical experience. I can't wait to own this movie on blu ray and catch all the extras and special features.
Thank you, Darth.

I know what you mean about checking it out again. I watched it with a bunch of friends that opening Thursday night, and then checked it out again the following Tuesday, but that time I was by myself. Like you, very much looking forward to the blu-ray, and all those extras. Really want to see Akira Takarada's deleted cameo (which was unfortunate), and the more commentaries, the better.
Old 05-30-2014, 06:47 PM   #1021
Space Cop
The Dandy

You surprise me, Lex. Your review sounded like you adored the flick (except that offhand reference to nitpicking), but you gave it exactly the grade I would, a B or B-.
Old 05-30-2014, 07:43 PM   #1022
Lex Luthor
Corps Honor Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Cop View Post
You surprise me, Lex. Your review sounded like you adored the flick (except that offhand reference to nitpicking), but you gave it exactly the grade I would, a B or B-.
It's true. I do, and have had two enjoyable experiences watching the film. Sure, there are issues, and ATJ failed to leave any sort of impression (I've read that a female was originally considered for the part, which I guess would have had her trying to get back to her child during the whole rise of the Mutos & Godzilla, which probably would have ultimately been more engaging for the human element), but having said that, I think Edwards delivered a fine addition to the Godzilla filmography, and it's definitely better than a C grade for me. Just not quite the A+ (which is what I would grade GOJIRA), but hey, I wasn't expecting that anyways.
Old 05-30-2014, 08:14 PM   #1023
Darth_Primus
Guardian of the Universe

As usual, expectations played a part in everyone's opinion of the film. I knew going in that Godzilla (2010) was going to be like original 1954 Godzilla in the sense he would be teased until the end of the film.
Old 05-30-2014, 09:46 PM   #1024
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
As usual, expectations played a part in everyone's opinion of the film. I knew going in that Godzilla (2010) was going to be like original 1954 Godzilla in the sense he would be teased until the end of the film.
Ah, but Gojira wins even on that score. In the first movie, Godzilla attacks in the very first scene and again at 14 minutes in (admittedly both off screen) and appears full face at 21 minutes in. Aside from the news footage, Godzilla isn't even mentioned by name until 45 minutes into this new one, he isn't glimpsed for another 10 minutes after that and another 5 minutes after that (at which point the movie is half over) until his face is seen. So, Gojira beats it out in that regard and he doesn't share screen time with two other creatures. Plus, it did all that in an era when no one knew what he was or what he would look like.
Old 05-30-2014, 09:51 PM   #1025
Darth_Primus
Guardian of the Universe

True dat.