The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > Green Lanternverse > Hal Jordan & The Green Lantern Corps
FLASHCHAT

Hal Jordan and the Green Lantern Corps
View Poll Results: Rate Hal and the GLC #7
* 0 0%
** 0 0%
*** 3 33.33%
**** 2 22.22%
***** 4 44.44%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-21-2016, 10:06 PM   #1
Hypo
Lil' Leaguer

Default Hal Jordan And The Green Lantern Corps #7 *Preview/Spoilers*

Hal Jordan And The Green Lantern Corps #7 Preview
Writer: Robert Venditti
Artist: Rafa Sandoval

Old 10-26-2016, 02:41 PM   #2
W.West

Send a message via AIM to W.West Send a message via Yahoo to W.West Send a message via Skype™ to W.West

Issue out. Poll up. Review posted.
Old 10-26-2016, 10:39 PM   #3
Kane2814
Weaponer of Qward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kane2814 View Post
I can only hope he's distracting Sinestro with the Big and Loud while Soranik does the sneaky to ensure victory. Otherwise, the whole aside with Soranik was kinda pointless.
Hey, whadyaknow? Color me pleasantly surprised that Venditti shows how Hal has no problem with having an actual plan (even if it's not his own )

The highlight of this issue, and book in general has been Sandoval's art. Just gorgeous all the way through. Too bad John and the corps came late to the party though. I figured they'd at least tangle with the other Sin Corps members before Hal took out Sinestro. I really didn't need to see Hal's origin again, but oh well ... the "My name is Hal Jordan" intro was like the beginning of the CW shows. I wonder if that was intentional?
Kane2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 05:53 AM   #4
EmeraldGladiator
Manhunter Repairman

My favorite arc Venditti has ever done. Great art, return of action Hal. Only slight issues with the whole thing. No need to wait until the final issue for the big confrontation. Also there was zero surprises in the last issue. Having read solits for initial issues of the next arc, nothing unexpected happened. Sometimes even when you know where a writer is going next they find a way to give you a swerve or something extra. That being said HJ&T GLC started out on a very solid foundation. Here is hoping it only builds on it from here.
EmeraldGladiator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 01:42 PM   #5
Space Cop
The Dandy

Liked, didn't love, it. I liked John's little Patton/Braveheart-oorah speech (even if, as Iggy suggests, it didn't amount to anything).
For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace.
—Isaiah 9:6
Space Cop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 01:48 PM   #6
buffalorock
Star Sapphire's Love Slave

Not bad Venditti, not bad. Probably his best conclusion to any arc he's done on GL (I can't remember exactly how Uprising finished, that was probably his previous best, maybe?). I had some minor gripes along the way but overall this is his best Hal work.

I definitely like Sandoval though, his action scenes, faces, and splash pages were excellent in my opinion.
buffalorock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 02:59 PM   #7
Mister Ed
Horse of a Different Color

So do we figure Sinestro is off to Qward again? I seem to recall his departure at the end of GL:Rebirth looking much like this one.

(I tried unsuccessfully to find a picture, but I distinctly recall Hal and Sinestro's battle in that mini ending with Sinestro's ring cracking, and him apparently disintegrating, complete with visible skeleton like it was here, as he transported away to Qward.)
Old 10-27-2016, 08:21 PM   #8
Orion Pax
Iolande's Bodyguard

Did anyone noticed that Sinestro formed an Eva from Neon Genesis Evangelion construct?

Also did I missed an issue where Soranik got those SC corpsmen to follow her instead of sinestro?
Old 10-27-2016, 09:47 PM   #9
Spectremjm
Corps Honor Guard

Send a message via Yahoo to Spectremjm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion Pax View Post
Did anyone noticed that Sinestro formed an Eva from Neon Genesis Evangelion construct?

Also did I missed an issue where Soranik got those SC corpsmen to follow her instead of sinestro?
Hal told her to gather up the good yellows before he headed to Warworld.

I'm dead, yet I live. I have no identity. Yet I know
who I am. And once again I've been given power enough
to change the world. This time, Lord...
Let me be worthy."
Spectremjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 04:16 AM   #10
Kane2814
Weaponer of Qward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Ed View Post
So do we figure Sinestro is off to Qward again? I seem to recall his departure at the end of GL:Rebirth looking much like this one.

(I tried unsuccessfully to find a picture, but I distinctly recall Hal and Sinestro's battle in that mini ending with Sinestro's ring cracking, and him apparently disintegrating, complete with visible skeleton like it was here, as he transported away to Qward.)
No, I think you're right, The whole skeletal look was actually a visual indication of being torn apart just before being reformed in the anti-matter universe. (I don't have the visual either, but you mentioning it reminded of something too)
Old 10-28-2016, 04:40 AM   #11
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
No, I think you're right, The whole skeletal look was actually a visual indication of being torn apart just before being reformed in the anti-matter universe. (I don't have the visual either, but you mentioning it reminded of something too)
Which would mean Hal went along for the trip too? The whole thing could still be part of Soranik's plan.
For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace.
Old 10-28-2016, 02:56 PM   #12
Mister Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Cop View Post
Which would mean Hal went along for the trip too? The whole thing could still be part of Soranik's plan.
I suspect something else is going on with Hal, but I'm not sure what. The culmination of his "turning into pure will" thing that's been building for a while, whatever that might turn out to be. I'm assuming we'll find out in short order, though. How long can you publish a comic called "Hal Jordan & The Green Lantern Corps" without including Hal Jordan? He won't be gone long, if at all. Heck, thus far the two parts of that title haven't even come together yet...
Old 10-29-2016, 09:55 PM   #13
Kane2814
Weaponer of Qward

I'm glad that the whole "turning into pure will" story should be wrapping up soon, when Hal gets back to human form. (I hope so at least, until the battle with Halallax in #50 where it will happen again as a convenient deus ex machina )

And can we finally get some sort of resolution to what made the GL's disappear in the first place? I don't need a whole storyline, honestly just a few lines where someone figured it out would be cool - just so we can move on...

And it seems Larfleeze is coming up next. I was really hoping that after this battle with Sinestro, they'd let the other Lanterns rest a bit and give us something else...
Old 10-31-2016, 03:02 AM   #14
Kane2814
Weaponer of Qward

Re: the last page with the Yellow Lanterns, I always thought of King Kong as a Star Sapphire more than a Sin Corps member....
Old 11-01-2016, 10:09 PM   #15
CeltiC5-27
Weaponer of Qward

Loved this issue! I think Venditti really nailed the dynamic between Hal and Sinestro and Sandoval once again draws some great looking battle scenes. Was a little disappointed the corps didn't get in on the action but the epic fight between the parallax wielding Sinestro and a supercharged Hal was enough to keep me satisfied. Still a lot of questions left unanswered so I'm really looking forward to this next arc.

https://twitter.com/CeltiC527
CeltiC5-27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 12:33 AM   #16
Cyberium

I'll be honest, I love all the actions and dynamics and emotions, but there's a glaring thorn on my side.

No matter how long and detailed Sinestro schemes, Hal is always capable of wrecking it up within days, with nothing except his raw power and attitude, it's annoying. It's like seeing a company spending decades to establish itself, only to be "bought" and taken part by someone with a big account, because he can.

Cyberium of Sector 614, you foresee great HOPE in our future.
Cyberium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 12:59 AM   #17
Mister Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberium View Post
I'll be honest, I love all the actions and dynamics and emotions, but there's a glaring thorn on my side.

No matter how long and detailed Sinestro schemes, Hal is always capable of wrecking it up within days, with nothing except his raw power and attitude, it's annoying. It's like seeing a company spending decades to establish itself, only to be "bought" and taken part by someone with a big account, because he can.
But isn't that just the way of all superhero comics? Aren't villains CONSTANTLY planning and scheming and then having it all come crashing down when the hero of the piece barrels through? I mean, it isn't always SIMPLE for the hero to triumph, but how often does a villain plan and scheme and actually ACHIEVE their goals long-term in superhero comics? It seems like the ONLY time that happens is when it is revealed after the fact that they succeeded in some secret long-term goal...right before the hero belatedly figures it out and wrecks it.
Old 12-21-2016, 03:40 AM   #18
Space Cop
The Dandy

Old 12-21-2016, 03:26 PM   #19
buffalorock

Quote:
And can we finally get some sort of resolution to what made the GL's disappear in the first place? I don't need a whole storyline, honestly just a few lines where someone figured it out would be cool - just so we can move on.
I'm wondering if they will tie it in Rebirth storyline, though I doubt that was the plan all along. They could just say Mr Oz or Manhattan or whoever pulled them out of the timeline in one of his experiments or in order to "weaken" the heroes. And now that they are searching for Hope and the Blue Lanterns, it would make sense, but we'll see I guess.

I figure most the the Rebirth followup will take place on Earth, leaving the Hal/GLC book to do its own thing, maybe a tie in issue at best, but I don't know.
buffalorock is offline   Reply With Quote