The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > Green Lanternverse > Green Lantern Vol. 4
FLASHCHAT

GL Volume 4
View Poll Results: Rate GLC #20
* 0 0%
** 0 0%
*** 1 20.00%
**** 2 40.00%
***** 2 40.00%
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-08-2008, 06:32 PM   #26
Gonza2814
Green Lantern

Mongul probably will be the new leader of the sinestro corps, or he'll try before Sinestro escapes from Oa and kicks his yellow ass.

It's a pity that Kyle abandoned his life as an artist on Earth. It was really good the days when he was on bleecker street hanging out with Radu and that people.

The old days don't suck

http://www.thegreenlanterncorps.com/...read.php?t=939
Gonza2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 06:33 PM   #27
GLC2814.4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ion2814 View Post
Yeah, I bet it's an opps, especially with all the craziness the company is in at the moment.
What craziness is going on at Wizard? Company-wise
Old 01-08-2008, 07:28 PM   #28
Toriach
Sinestro's Sparring Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerRingE3 View Post
ok, the good: I like whats goin on with mongul and the sin. rings are findin new bears.

ok, the bad:Guy & Kyle situation!!!Highlight Why would Guy wanna move to Oa when he was their for like a yr & half and wanted to leave the whole time and Kyle livin in space is kinda weird but it might work, Kyle as Ion would make more sense to live in space
Well here's a thought about that... I wonder if Guys decision isn't because he knows that if he stays on earth he's going to have a hard time resisting the urge to bug Tora and he doesn't want to drive her away, so he's trying to really give her some space. Plus I don't think Guy's happy unless he's bitchin about something.

P
A
L
L

Toriach
Toriach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 08:01 PM   #29
Prime
Attention Whore

I'm glad they are movin to Oa cause it's weird for honor guard to be on Earth when theres already two talented GL's there. They should be on Oa, the center of the universe.
Old 01-08-2008, 11:43 PM   #30
SHADOWLANTERN

I agree with Sup300, I think it's a good move too, for Kyle and Guy.
Old 01-09-2008, 09:13 AM   #31
PowerRingE3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superman-Prime300 View Post
I'm glad they are movin to Oa cause it's weird for honor guard to be on Earth when theres already two talented GL's there. They should be on Oa, the center of the universe.
It does make more sense for the HONOR GUARDS to be on OA, not earth. I just miss Guy on earth & I still hope for him & Tora to get back together. She needs time, we've had 10 yrs. lets make it happen.
Old 01-09-2008, 04:43 PM   #32
Andrew NDB
Shot Caller

Send a message via Yahoo to Andrew NDB

I'm fine with Guy moving wherever, but grounding Kyle off-Earth would seem to deprive him of a lot of what I liked about the character.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 06:15 PM   #33
GUYCORPS
Green Lantern

Thumbs up

WOW!

I'm impressed, Tomasi is getting better with every issue of GLC.
He gets both GUY and Kyle, and boy do they play off each other well in this issue. I'd say Tomasi's characterisation is topnotch so far!

There is good drama in this issue regarding Mongul and the Guardians, and a few good laughs to boot! GUY just cracks me up. His comment on Salaak hanging with the midgets had me in stitches. I'm looking forward to GUY and Kyle working and living on Oa! GUY and Salaak moments are always fun.

The small moment when GUY looks at TORA through her bedroom window and leaves a note was quite touching, i just hope and pray this is not the end for them!

The art was ok at best, but again it's because Gleason shared the duties with Magno and 4 inkers! Hopefully with the next 2 issues being fill-ins, Gleason can get back on track and put a bit more detail into his art!

Overall, i was satisfied and looking forward to Mongul wreaking havoc across the universe!

Last edited by GUYCORPS; 01-09-2008 at 06:23 PM.
GUYCORPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 07:19 PM   #34
Myth

I loved the issue, and I'm looking forward to what Mongul's going to do. I also think the idea of a bar for Green Lanterns is a great one, especially since it would help breed comradery amongst them.
Old 01-09-2008, 07:43 PM   #35
ComicGeek
Corps Honor Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by GUYCORPS View Post
The small moment when GUY looks at TORA through her bedroom window and leaves a note was quite touching, i just hope and pray this is not the end for them!
If it is, I'm going to cry bloody murder! We've been waiting too long to just see them waste the opportunity.
Don't think this kind of pain will ever heal
I gave to you my life and love for years
Look deep in my eyes, my pain do you feel
All I ever wanted was to be loved
Waiting on dad to take me up above"
ComicGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 08:12 PM   #36
Andrew NDB
Shot Caller

It's effing delayed. The comic store owner says, "Because of the weather in Oregon."

The fuck...
Old 01-09-2008, 08:32 PM   #37
Mister Ed
Horse of a Different Color

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
It's effing delayed. The comic store owner says, "Because of the weather in Oregon."

The fuck...
Huh, so I probably shouldn't bother heading to my LCS, as I live IN Oregon. The odd thing is, the weather here in Portland hasn't been anything special in terms of severity. How are the comics shipped, anyway? By truck, or air, or what? I wouldn't imagine that the weather some parts of Oregon are having would have had an effect on shipping to your neck of the woods unless it was travelling primarily by truck.
Old 01-09-2008, 08:54 PM   #38
Nived

Really? Hell we had god damn tornados tear through here on Monday... in January... and we still had our comics on time. Sucks to be you Andrew. Anyway my opinion on the issue now that I have it in my hot little hand.

The Art: Two pencilers, and five inkers... it shows. There are some pages of this issue that look beautiful and others... that look like this

Where Guy's ear is clearly trying to escape from his head.

Green Lantern Corps is a good book with solid sales numbers, even before Sinestro Corps War it was regularly outselling other 'secondary' titles like Robin, Nightwing, Supergirl, and the like. Is a regular art team too much to ask for?

As for the story I liked it. Guy and Kyle play off each other rather well. They have an interesting dynamic, while they're both vetrens at this point Guy has had more expirience, but Kyle is the more mature one. My main complaint is Salaak beinging up money, just seems odd since we know that Lanterns don't get freaking paid you'd think the least they could do for Honor Guard who are on call 24/7 who are expected to go to any corner of the damn universe on a moments notice a freaking apartment on Oa.

Thing is Oa is a planet, which seems to be only inhabited by the Guardians, Sciencecells, and Lanterns, which are only 7200 strong. Can't be any more than that, because a larger population would naturally dictate a little more than one friggin eatery on the entire planet.

So one thing that you'd think Oa has a LOT of is room, as for 'construction costs' Kyle and Guy managed to rebuild a demolished Statue of Liberty in one day with their rings... seems to me 'construction cost' would be nonexistant.

The entire economics of it... just seems faulty to me.

Don't get me wrong I liked the issue (even if there was no Kilowog, Soranik, Iolande, Isomat, Vath, Stel, Green Man... etc) I'm just picking nits.
Old 01-09-2008, 09:10 PM   #39
Duskdog

Guy's ears often try to escape from his head, I've noticed. It's a rather cute detail usually, as I rather like him drawn with big ears (and anything in the way of recognizable individual details other than hair color is awesome in comics).

But I see what you mean. That's a bit ridiculous there.

I love Gleason's style, but if he can't do the entire issue himself, I wish we'd get someone equally good who could. And so many inkers, two issues in a row? Why? A book as good as GLC deserves a little consistency, especially now that Sinestro Corps was such a success and Kyle's in the book too. It deserved it before, but I'd expect sales to be even better now, so you'd think they'd want this book to look top-notch even moreso now than before.
Old 01-09-2008, 09:57 PM   #40
GUYCORPS
Green Lantern

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComicGeek View Post
If it is, I'm going to cry bloody murder! We've been waiting too long to just see them waste the opportunity.
Probably going to be a slow burn, to keep us chomping at the bit!

They get together too soon, the relationships boring! Not really, but i'm sure that's the way Tomasi see's it.
But if he milks it for all it's worth, we the fans keep coming back for more.
Old 01-09-2008, 10:02 PM   #41
Andrew NDB
Shot Caller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duskdog View Post
And so many inkers, two issues in a row?
Three in a row now.
Old 01-09-2008, 10:08 PM   #42
Maverick_GL

Send a message via MSN to Maverick_GL

Can't wait to go pick this up!

"Weeds. All of them weeds. I am perfection, and I am alone in the garden of the universe." - Cyborg Superman
Maverick_GL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 11:13 PM   #43
Prime
Attention Whore

Mine's delayed till tomorrow. There was a holdup with the delivery truck! Was it beter than issue 19?
Old 01-09-2008, 11:50 PM   #44
ion.nai
existential absurdist

Send a message via MSN to ion.nai

just picked mine up. i have to say, it was thoroughly enjoyable. i loved the interaction between Kyle and Guy. good stuff. the little details, such as the conversation about what type of food they want to eat make the relationship really work.

Having Kyle and Guy on Oa will make GLC work in a much more interesting way. future issues will be able to explore the lifestyles of those living at the center of the universe. hopefully the writers will develop and explain the way society works for lanterns who live on Oa.

the art work is a bit lacking. gleason is often hit or miss for me. when he's on, he's excellent, when he's not it's hurting. kyle's crab mask haunted me through out the whole issue. it looks like no effort is put into making it work with his uniform. everyone says the crab mask is a chore to draw, but in GL#25 (to be more specific page 18 where kyle is saying "... you better check this out.") Ivan Reis nails it perfectly, other artists should just borrow the style he's used.
Old 01-10-2008, 01:03 AM   #45
Gl Josh
Senior Corps Member

THIS POST CONTAINS SPOILERS!!!

I love how some people blast GL and GLC for not having character development, but when a character driven issue comes out they bitch about a lack of action. I loved the interaction we get in this issue. Now two things struck me as a might bit ODD HERE COME THE SPOILERS!!!

1) Mongul's sister's corpse is still where he killed her. Come on its been OVER A YEAR. You think he would have burned it or buried it or something, I mean what has Mongul been doing for the past year?

2) We don't see Mongul's course of destruction till GLC #23? So we get an issue about the Alpha lanterns and one on the missing rings and THAN back to Mongul?
Originally Posted by BatmanofSector2814 View Post
I have yet to see Avatar, mainly because it is the plot of Pocahontas wrapped in a "Halo vs World of Warcraft" flavored, CGI heavy shell...and I've already seen Pocahontas and played all 5 Halos...so....
Gl Josh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 01:09 AM   #46
IonFan
Forum Member

Loved it, art could use some work but it's still good

IonFan says

Quote:
F**k all the "Haters" 3 years in and i still support our dear leader, one Donald J. Trump
IonFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 01:15 AM   #47
Andrew NDB
Shot Caller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gl Josh View Post
THIS POST CONTAINS SPOILERS!!!

I love how some people blast GL and GLC for not having character development, but when a character driven issue comes out they bitch about a lack of action.
Who's bitching about character development? I'll smack'em.

I still don't have GLC #20 because my LCS is citing "weather problems in Oregon" as the reason for a day delay, but I will say over the past two issues alone Mr. Tomasi has shown great strength in the character department. He gets into their heads, and takes us along for the ride.

Quote:
1) Mongul's sister's corpse is still where he killed her. Come on its been OVER A YEAR. You think he would have burned it or buried it or something, I mean what has Mongul been doing for the past year?
Just shooting the shit here, but seeing as how the Monguloids' (or whatever their race is) skin is at least as thick as Superman's, the rate of decay/decomposition probably doesn't happen anything like in humans or other organisms.

In fact, remember when Superman died? Even before Superman's body was brought to the Fortress of Solitude to be resurrected/resuscitated or whatever, doctors at Cadmus were marveling at how his body wasn't showing much/any sign of decay/decomposition.

Quote:
2) We don't see Mongul's course of destruction till GLC #23? So we get an issue about the Alpha lanterns and one on the missing rings and THAN back to Mongul?
I'm sure they'll intersperse a little Mongul here and there along the way.
Old 01-10-2008, 01:18 AM   #48
GLJIMT

I enjoyed it still in the re-structuring setting up the next arc kind of place

oh and Mongul's Sis will be a Black Lantern for sure

yes the art was not good in places, and we need a tally of who the pins are we have Sinestro, Black Hand, Star Sapphire but I cant tell the rest of them
Old 01-10-2008, 01:39 AM   #49
Nived

I wonder if that's a General Glory comic Guy is reading while flying through space. There wasn't enough detail to tell.
Old 01-10-2008, 05:54 AM   #50
Lundonj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gl Josh View Post
At Comicbloc, Mr. Tomasi explained that instead of having to use more fill-in artists and inkers to help keep pace, they're doing an extra two issue Alpha Lantern story to let Gleason catch up to do his normal great GLC stuff and kick the current arc into gear by #23.

I like the solution better than a two month delay, or a bunch of extra fill in artists on the regular storyline.

-Don