The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > Green Lanternverse > Green Lantern Vol. 4
FLASHCHAT

GL Volume 4
View Poll Results: Rate GLC #20
* 0 0%
** 0 0%
*** 1 20.00%
**** 2 40.00%
***** 2 40.00%
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-11-2008, 07:20 PM   #101
Andrew NDB
Shot Caller

Send a message via Yahoo to Andrew NDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Eye View Post
Confused on the whole money issue on Oa when they don't get paid.
You and I might think that... but do we absolutely know for certain they're not paid, somehow?
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 05:27 AM   #102
Raker616
Corps Honor Guard

I've always believed they must get some sort of currency for at least their living expenses but who knows it's a topic that needs to be touched on by Geoff.
Old 01-12-2008, 05:30 AM   #103
Andrew NDB
Shot Caller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raker616 View Post
I've always believed they must get some sort of currency for at least their living expenses but who knows it's a topic that needs to be touched on by Geoff.
If you really think about it, there simply must be some kind of compensation. How can you carry on a living on a monetary-based world for days out of the week if you're not earning any money?

Probably the Guardians have the ability to actually manufacture a reasonable amount of currency to all of the Lanterns whose societies require it/deal in it at certain intervals, but I doubt anyone will ever really get into the details of it... and maybe that's for the best. It'll probably be like money in Starfleet in Star Trek: TNG era... we know they must have it, we get hints about it, but it's never really spelled out for us.

[/geek]
Old 01-12-2008, 05:31 AM   #104
Prime
Attention Whore

Yeah I'm sure GL's get paid.
Old 01-12-2008, 05:32 AM   #105
PowerRingE3

Hell, for there service, they should get everything for free...I would think
Old 01-12-2008, 05:33 AM   #106
Nived

Especially given that Guy was told "No shore leave for a year" then another year...

You can't do that to a guy, much less Guy unless there was some sort of incentive besides being a hero. Guy never needed a GL ring to be a hero.
Old 01-12-2008, 05:35 AM   #107
PowerRingE3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nived View Post
Guy never needed a GL ring to be a hero.
Damn right...
Old 01-13-2008, 03:50 AM   #108
Duskdog

Even if they do get a lot of stuff they need for free, I'm sure there are lots of those like Ke'Haan who have to support a family somewhere. And even the Earth GLs surely have bills to pay even when they're away from home for long periods of time and aren't working at their regular jobs. Even if all their junk is just in storage (Oh, Guy), that's still storage space to pay for. And tax time still comes around... even if they're cheating on their taxes. (Once again, oh Guy.)

Now that I think of it, that was probably just another small incentive for the guys to move to Oa, too. Guy might have money in the bank because I always got the feeling that Warriors was pretty profitable (then again, he's probably also still paying off a ton of medical bills, but that's a topic for another thread), but I bet Kyle doesn't have cash just laying around. Even if they are getting paid as GLs, why waste that on an apartment or storage space for stuff that they're not even on Earth very often to use?

I had never considered it before, but getting paid actually makes a lot of sense. I think you're right, though -- we probably won't get any details on it. I'd be satisfied with just a "yes they get paid in whatever form is appropriate for their home planet," or maybe "in a widely-used currency that's easily exchanged for whatever you need by the convenient Oan bank".

Though I probably wouldn't trust my money to an Oan bank. Just sayin'.
Old 01-13-2008, 03:47 PM   #109
GLC2814.4

Peter, glad to have you aboard. Love the work so far.

About the money thing, I would think there would have to be something out there in terms of compensation, but it's probably like the military and is shite . They gat leave days and such, so there should be some type of pay as well. The reason we don't see it I think is that unlike the Earth GL's, most of the planets and sectors are space-faring people who travel to other planets and trade with other people's and shit. Even in the comics, Earth is still the backwater, "haven't gotten much farther than the moon in the eyes of the general populace", type of place; so whatever the standard is out there in currency (galactic gredits or rotox or some shit like that), Earth probably isn't a member yet, so no spendable money on Earth for the guys. Plus they mostly have secret identities, so how the hell is Hal going to login to Amazon to buy some CDs and try to pay with his GL Corporate Card. LOL
Old 01-13-2008, 04:52 PM   #110
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

I figured there was some kind of monetary system that was recognixed by a large enough chunk of the galaxy that many of the GLs would be covered somehow. Kind of like in Star Wars where they have "Republic Credits" that are no good on Tattooine, Tattoine being Earth in our case. Maybe another reason why Hal always felt he had to hold dow a job to support himself.

John and Guy could easily build themselves a home somewhere with natural materials with the ring (see the Citadel in LA they had in GLC). Need heat? They can use their ring. Need food? They've already established the rings can supply GLs on guard duty with all the nutrients they need. Guy and John would own stuff anyway and could furnish their homes with tvs, appliances cloths, bedding or whatever.

I was thinking about the KC version of Green Lantern. I know it's Alan Scott, but it might as well have been any of the Earth's GLs the way he was set up. He had that awesome satelite in Earth's orbit that served as his home. The Earth GL's should build that now in current continuity. It would have everything one would ever really need.
Old 01-13-2008, 07:29 PM   #111
lanternut
Alpha-Lantern

Send a message via MSN to lanternut

I loved #20 just for the fact that it felt like what they wanted to do with GLC right after Recharge. I never dug Kyle until Recharge and the war, but with Guy it's comic gold.

And what a nod to us long time GUY fans to have the Warrior bar on OA!

Now if other artist could just match Gleason's Guy look and lose whatever the first few pages of #20 had GUY looking like or other books where he has his damn bowl cut again I'd be a happy camper. You'd think DC would have a new character design site or something...

Loved #20!
Old 01-15-2008, 04:10 AM   #112
Tons T
Alpha-Lantern

warrior bar on OA, and Kyle's new attitude really rocks
Old 01-16-2008, 01:17 PM   #113
ion.nai
existential absurdist

Send a message via MSN to ion.nai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tons T View Post
warrior bar on OA, and Kyle's new attitude really rocks
it's a shame that Countdown doesn't treat him the same way.
Old 01-16-2008, 05:39 PM   #114
PowerRingE3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ion.nai View Post
it's a shame that Countdown doesn't treat him the same way.
Thats funny. Kyle is probably the most famous character in Countdown and yet they treat him like a robot.
Old 01-18-2008, 07:56 PM   #115
Andrew NDB
Shot Caller

It's getting a second printing.

http://comicnewsi.com/index.php?itemid=10983
Old 01-20-2008, 04:05 PM   #116
ion.nai
existential absurdist

Send a message via MSN to ion.nai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superman-Prime300 View Post
Yeah I'm sure GL's get paid.
In Gl 24 when Guy is flying off to get kyle's mother's painting, he says "We should really be gettin' paid for this."