John's father

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• John's father

I have a question, as I am shamefully ignorant about Jong Stewart.

What do we know about his father and the relationship he had with him?

All the other Earth Lanterns seem to have a difficult relationship with their father, I wonder how John's doing with that.

(Alan too, maybe, even though he is a father on his own so it's slightly different...)

I don't recall ever hearing anything about his father (though if we did, it was probably in Mosaic). I remember we saw his mom during the Millennium crossover (and he was an only child), and later it was retconned that he was raised by his aunt, and had a gay brother, and a sister that died when he got in an accident joyriding, and he blocked out her memory for years. So his family background is kind of inconsistent. I'm sure if the writer wanted to, they would simply retcon in an abusive father.

Comment

I'd settle for a strict militant father. General Sam Lane like...

Comment

or how about breaking the mold, and make him have a good, strong father to look up to. And guess what, he isn't dead!

Follow The Nobodies Comic on Facebook or Twitter

Comment

Oh you mean like Barry Al.....

Comment

Spoilers.... Nooooooooooooo!
            I Make my Own T-Shirts

Comment

Originally posted by W.West View Post
              Oh you mean like Barry Al.....
              but he's secretly an alien...bum bum bum!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Mister Ed View Post
                I'm sure if the writer wanted to, they would simply retcon in an abusive father.
                More than likely, they would retcon that he was raised in a single-Parent household. That formula is pretty much on par as far as minorities are concerned.

Comment

Originally posted by sylent_asassin View Post
                  More than likely, they would retcon that he was raised in a single-Parent household. That formula is pretty much on par as far as minorities are concerned.
                  exactly, which is why it shouldn't be that way. Let's make him come from a wealthy family, with a completely understanding and loving father. And have him work in textiles.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnnyV View Post
                    exactly, which is why it shouldn't be that way. Let's make him come from a wealthy family, with a completely understanding and loving father. And have him work in textiles.
                    I would actually like to see him come from a well-off, higher middle class family raised with both parents instead of the typical 'raised in the ghetto' under harsh living conditions environment. I like the idea of his Father being in the military so it appears that he followed in his Father's footsteps. That would give a smidge of background information as to why John joined the service and to why he's so stern.

Comment

I would agree with that; the only problem being is that you're treading into Hal Jordan territory by having him join the military based on his father doing it.

Maybe have him join as a means to rebel against his dad.

I guess that's the one great thing about John's backstory, is that it's so open to interpretation any good writer could pump out something solid.

Comment

Either way, what will happen with his Architect background? Retcon it away just like everything else? I really hope they do something interesting with him on the GLC book.

Comment

I think they should leave it vague until the day comes when it's time to give him his own ongoing series again. Let it be that writer who gets the fun out of writing John a decent backstory. What little that has been done with John's family over the last 40 years even needs to be canon. The writers ignored each other anyway.

Comment

John Stewart's mom could be a widow.That or it's Alan Scott

Comment

Mh, so nothing really is there in canon! Thanks everyone for answering.

I agree it would be nice to give John a good relationship with his father because it would fit the gradient this way

Positive relationship
                              |
                              John: Present/Inspiring figure
                              Hal: Inspiring figure/Absent
                              Kyle: Absent/Un-inspiring figure
                              Guy: Un-inspiring figure/Present
                              |
                              Negative Relationship

Comment

Working...
                              X