The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > Green Lanternverse > Green Lantern Vol. 5
FLASHCHAT

GL Volume 5
View Poll Results: Rate GL #21
* 2 5.71%
** 2 5.71%
*** 13 37.14%
**** 13 37.14%
***** 5 14.29%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-03-2013, 07:55 PM   #1
W.West

Send a message via AIM to W.West Send a message via Yahoo to W.West Send a message via Skype™ to W.West
Default Green Lantern #21 *Preview/Spoilers*

Green Lantern #21 PREVIEW
Writer: Robert Venditti
Artist: Billy Tan
Old 06-03-2013, 08:05 PM   #2
Mister Ed
Horse of a Different Color

That preview has Hal being uncharacteristically defeatist, I think. I mean, yeah, the situation looks impossible, but that has never led Hal to give up before...
Old 06-03-2013, 08:08 PM   #3
JohnnyV
Pictionary Master

Finally, time to start reading Green Lantern again. I do agree Mister Ed, I don't think I've ever seen "We're done for" come out of Hal Jordan's lips.

Follow The Nobodies Comic on Facebook or Twitter
JohnnyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 08:32 PM   #4
"Chosen"
NOT his black friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyV View Post
Finally, time to start reading Green Lantern again. I do agree Mister Ed, I don't think I've ever seen "We're done for" come out of Hal Jordan's lips.
Finally a time for me to stop reading GL lol
"Chosen" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 12:17 AM   #5
DocLantern
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyV View Post
Agreed. Can't wait.
DocLantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 12:35 AM   #6
"Chosen"
NOT his black friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Ed View Post
That preview has Hal being uncharacteristically defeatist, I think. I mean, yeah, the situation looks impossible, but that has never led Hal to give up before...
I didn't like that one bit.
Old 06-04-2013, 01:10 AM   #7
DocLantern
Banned

Tan's art work looks better than the last stuff I saw him on (Diggle's DD run). Liked seeing Hal take charge and be a leader.
Old 06-04-2013, 08:10 AM   #8
RandomGuy
Kyle's Nude Model

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Ed View Post
Have you ever heard of the term "don't judge a book by its cover"? Seriously, no need for the overreaction. At least read the book first before you judge his character going forward.
RandomGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 10:53 AM   #9
Hypo
Lil' Leaguer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomGuy View Post
Have you ever heard of the term "don't judge a book by its cover"? Seriously, no need for the overreaction. At least read the book first before you judge his character going forward.
...have you ever been on a comic book forum before?
Old 06-04-2013, 11:59 AM   #10
GreenLantern888
Alpha-Lantern

Send a message via AIM to GreenLantern888 Send a message via MSN to GreenLantern888 Send a message via Yahoo to GreenLantern888 Send a message via Skype™ to GreenLantern888

I think the preview looks very intriguing and I don't think Hal's characterization is bad at all. I think this is just a darker preview of what's going to happen.

Villain Draft (Best Team Winner)/Proud Supporter of the DCnU
GreenLantern888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 12:24 PM   #11
Mister Ed
Horse of a Different Color

Quote:
Did you see me condemning the book? No. I simply made an observation about Hal's attitude being somewhat uncharacteristic. And it is. Very possibly the book will provide context that explains the difference from his usual "never give up" attitude. If anything seems like an overreaction, it is your response to my post.
Old 06-04-2013, 02:48 PM   #12
Tommy Boy
Hal's Understudy

Howzabout those pencils? Love 'em. The retarded New52 panelized uniform is dramatically subdued, Hal's hair is all messed up, and John is flat frickin' yoked.

If it stands on art alone, I'm gonna really enjoy this new run.
Tommy Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 02:54 PM   #13
JohnnyV
Pictionary Master

Quote:
I don't think we were simply going by the cover. Hal literally says "we're done for", in what looks to be the first 3 pages of the book...

Follow The Nobodies Comic on Facebook or Twitter
JohnnyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 08:19 AM   #14
Nohlan
Kyle's Nude Model

Wow ! I can't wait to read this one, but I'm certainly sure for one thing :

Hal will NEVER give up. So this is a full bullshit for making us wait for the book (I mean like he'll find a solution and blablabla)

But I don't understand why this is the #21 as the #20 is an end ?

And I truly hope that Simon Baz will be more than present, I liked him very much and I'll be upset if we don't see him again, as he can push the ring more than everyone ...

Last edited by Nohlan; 06-05-2013 at 08:26 AM.
Nohlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 10:00 AM   #15
DocLantern
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nohlan View Post
Wow ! I can't wait to read this one, but I'm certainly sure for one thing :

Hal will NEVER give up. So this is a full bullshit for making us wait for the book (I mean like he'll find a solution and blablabla)

But I don't understand why this is the #21 as the #20 is an end ?

And I truly hope that Simon Baz will be more than present, I liked him very much and I'll be upset if we don't see him again, as he can push the ring more than everyone ...
Read JLA. Leave him out of GL.
Old 06-05-2013, 12:31 PM   #16
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nohlan View Post
But I don't understand why this is the #21 as the #20 is an end ?...
#20 was just an end for Geoff Johns as writer of GL and the head of the GL books. That ending stuff was just his own wrap-up. #21 (and indefinite issues after) were already scheduled.
Old 06-05-2013, 12:48 PM   #17
Star-Lantern
Green Lantern

Issue is not bad, but I guess I'll begin on a few bad notes.

There will be some spoilers in here, I guess so...

The Hal Jordan/Carol Ferris stuff is really redundant. When are they not having problems? And their problems are usually about the same type of thing. They even reference this in the book. They're both superheroes who wield power rings. Now that they're in very similar shoes, you'd think they'd be able to come to an understanding. I dunno', but I couldn't really get invested in their drama because it seems really "been there done that 10,000 times by now," but I did find it amusing that Hal got evicted. I think it's actually kind of charming that the leader of the Green Lantern Corps is sleeping on his little brother's sofa.

Billy Tan's art... hmm... sometimes it's okay and sometimes it's not. His Kyle is horrid, but he has to work with a really bad design that he did not come up with, so there's that. But he doesn't work with it gracefully at all. Kyle looks really, REALLY bad.

His alien designs are often generic. So far, in this one book alone, I'm seeing three completely different species that look like the generic Roswell style alien:
http://www.ufocasebook.com/aliensmokinggun.jpg
The most iconic/generic depiction of an alien EVER! Not very creative, and even a bit tiring. If there was only one, I wouldn't mind.
I was never really into Mahnke that much, but there have been much better Green Lantern artists in recent history than Tan. He was on a different book, but Pasarin wipes the floor with Tan and his sometimes crude and sketchy depictions. I think Tan did a good job on Carol and also Hal when he's not suited up as GL. He does Larfleeze and Kilowag well enough, and Oa looks good... but basically EVERYTHING has looked better. The work, however, is good enough to keep you in the story and usually not distract you. The biggest distraction for me was how ridiculous Kyle looked. The best work, I think was done during the battle scenes in the preview.

Venditti's writing is pretty good so far. I noticed how Hal's reaction in the preview was uncharacteristic, too... and I loved it! That simple scene by itself seems to have so much more weight than the entire (incredibly stupid and hard to follow) First Lantern battle.

I can really understand the concern and feel it. Lately, Oa seems to get attacked in force every other day, and it is really wearing on the Lanterns and their ranks. Hal has a lot to bear as the leader of this outfit, trying to hold it together under such trying circumstances. This is a new type of burden for him and from the opening scenes, it seems to be getting to him.

WOW, REAL CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT FOR HAL JORDAN MAYBE!?

I was intrigued by the sexy alien prisoner. It's not too much of a stretch to assume there will be a mass science cell break out as well. Venditti seems intent on putting the Lantern corps through a lot and even though the ideas don't seem creative, the way he's doing it seems refreshing after the Geoff Johns style. A lot of it has to do with Hal Jordan being the leader having to deal with all this crap. So, there are problems that threaten the universe, but there's also a personal aspect to this, because Hal has a responsibility that is trying for him. He's not just an interchangeable action figure put in place to deal with stuff as he was in many Johns stories.
Yes, intriguing.

Even with all this, the style of the book hardly seems to be doom and gloom. There's a somewhat charming rundown of all the different colored corps at the end that keeps a sort of lightheartedness to the book. I applaud the team for having the exposition scene, but doing so in a somewhat fun way.
It's also funny when Hal is talking about space grizzlies or T-Rex.

There also doesn't seem to be much of the self-serious "wannabe inspirational themes" that Johns used, like "overcoming great fear" and "all will be well," and stuff like that. That stuff is just corny. I hope Venditti doesn't go down that route.

So, Relic is supposed to be doing something involving the balance of the different colored corps. I can only hope hope HOPE that Venditti will use him as a means of abolishing every single other corps other than the Green Lantern corps... but seeing as how there's a Red Lanterns book out there and a Larfleeze one coming out (WHY!?!?!?!?!?!) I know that isn't the case :T

Anyway, things are off to a good start, in my opinion. Other than revisiting redundant Carol Ferris romance stuff, the writing is intriguing. The art is overall... okay-ish. It stumbles in places, other places it's cool, and other places it's just okay. From what I've seen, this book is visually way less interesting than the stuff from the upcoming Green Lantern Corps, even down to how the emerald energy and its glow are portrayed.

3 out of 5 stars. I enjoyed reading it and it left me wanting more.
A helluva lot better than last month's clusterfuck.

Hmmm... post is pretty long. Maybe I should get around to making that Green Lantern site I've been wanting to make if I have this much to say about stuff : p

Last edited by Star-Lantern; 06-05-2013 at 01:09 PM.
Star-Lantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 01:09 PM   #18
W.West

Send a message via AIM to W.West Send a message via Yahoo to W.West Send a message via Skype™ to W.West

Issue out. Poll added.
Old 06-05-2013, 01:38 PM   #19
DocLantern
Banned

Loved the issue. Exactly what Ive been wanting. Hoping GJ diehards will give it a shot.
Old 06-05-2013, 01:57 PM   #20
"Chosen"
NOT his black friend

Just finished reading it, didn't like the Carol and Hal interaction at all. We've seen that too many times before. I felt exactly like Hal when he said, "just the other day you were happy to see me back."

I do not understand the purpose of Larfleeze just showing up to attack Oa. Just seemed kinda out of place.

As for the art, I really miss Doug Mahnke. Billy Tan is ok overall. I found a few pages ok and some others below average. Hopefully he can hit a consistent stride soon.

The preview page at the end didn't generate any excitement with me what so ever. I'm trying to give Venditti a chance, hopefully things pick up soon. Wasn't impressed so far. 3 out of 5.

Last edited by "Chosen"; 06-06-2013 at 05:48 AM.
Old 06-05-2013, 06:09 PM   #21
DocLantern
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star-Lantern

I enjoyed reading it and it left me wanting more.
A helluva lot better than last month's clusterfuck.
Agreed
Old 06-06-2013, 01:38 AM   #22
Dr. Naysay
Guardian of the Universe

I miss Geoff Johns already.
Dr. Naysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 03:36 AM   #23
sinostrius
Kyle's Nude Model

I wanted to like it but it really was bad. It will take some time for the writing style to sink in, Billy's art was painful but I wasn't feeling Doug's art at first. Will wait and see its the same feeling art wise when we got Pacheco after Van Sciver.
sinostrius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 05:12 AM   #24
GreenLantern888
Alpha-Lantern

Send a message via AIM to GreenLantern888 Send a message via MSN to GreenLantern888 Send a message via Yahoo to GreenLantern888 Send a message via Skype™ to GreenLantern888

I am mixed on this book. I enjoyed the flashforward scene besides some dialogue there. Hated the Carol and Hal scene. Thoroughly enjoyed the book then on. As a fan of Venditti's X-O Manowar I know it took some time before that became really good so it'll be a few issues before that happens here too.

Also I absolutely love Billy Tan's art for the most part, way more than Doug Mahnke.

Villain Draft (Best Team Winner)/Proud Supporter of the DCnU

Last edited by GreenLantern888; 06-06-2013 at 05:29 AM.
GreenLantern888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 05:47 AM   #25
bjread
Hal's Understudy

Interesting read.

Tan is MILES better than Mahnke (but Kyle was bad)

Like Venditti so far. Gave us an issue with action, drama that suggests Carol will be busy in NG, and a lot of wtf is going on, but only because we're just getting into the story.

4/5
bjread is offline   Reply With Quote