The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > Green Lanternverse > Green Lantern: New Guardians/Kyle Rayner
FLASHCHAT

Kyle Rayner
View Poll Results: Rate GL:NG #14
* 2 14.29%
** 2 14.29%
*** 6 42.86%
**** 2 14.29%
***** 2 14.29%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-26-2012, 04:31 PM   #26
SD80MAC
Not a True Fan

That's true, but I think the implication is that they sent it to him. Attention to detail is not a priority in modern GL comics.

EDIT: Found the info on the yellow rings' fear abilities. I do not recall which specific issues showcased this, so if anyone else wants to chime in, feel free.

Quote:
Instill Fear: the Power Ring is unique in that its base of power, fear, can be manipulated by the ring user. An opponent's fears can be laid bare by delving into their minds. The power only works on the direct emotion of fear. This allows them to create the energy constructs of a opponent's worst nightmare. Also, once that fear is exposed, the ring's ability allows the wielder to amplify the fear to the point of irrationality and true horror on the part of victim and conversely empowering the ring wielder.

Last edited by SD80MAC; 11-26-2012 at 04:47 PM.
SD80MAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 06:26 PM   #27
Dr. Naysay
Guardian of the Universe

Laaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaame.

And to whomever asked why anything pre New 52 wouldn't be Canon just because it led directly into the current storylines....

hah.... ahahhah....... ahahahahahahhahahahahahhahaha

HAHAHHAHAHAHAHHHAHHAHAHAHHA

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Dr. Naysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 11:04 PM   #28
Orion Pax
Iolande's Bodyguard

So Kyle became Iron Fist?
Old 11-27-2012, 05:23 PM   #29
Sylent_Asassin
Black Lantern

It looks like he became Guardian with that SC outfit... and the art in this issue was freaking terrible.
Old 11-28-2012, 12:35 AM   #30
Gauntlet101010
Alpha-Lantern

You know, it's not the New 52 that's making things inconsistant. It's John's inconsistant writing, which has been around long before the New 52 started.

Ever since he got that big promotion his internal continuity has been terrible. I like the comic, but it is what it is.

Although it's reaaaaaaaly off topic.
Gauntlet101010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 02:34 AM   #31
Agent Purple
The Illustrated Man

Art was really, really bad. Constantly. Writing wasn't a whole lot better. Dropped this because it's becoming mired in low quality and it's tying into an event I want nothing to do with.
Old 11-30-2012, 08:48 PM   #32
Sylent_Asassin
Black Lantern

The operation of the rings are horribly inconsistent. The Sinestro Corps are supposed to get their power from inflicting terror, but in this issue, Kyle gets his power from being scared, which is ridiculous. If I wasn't a sucker for a power ring, I would have dropped all these titles.
Old 12-04-2012, 06:09 AM   #33
Mewzard
Say what you will about masturbation...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sylent_asassin View Post
The operation of the rings are horribly inconsistent. The Sinestro Corps are supposed to get their power from inflicting terror, but in this issue, Kyle gets his power from being scared, which is ridiculous. If I wasn't a sucker for a power ring, I would have dropped all these titles.
This actually should work. The Ring takes fear from a source and uses it. Using other people's fears is the Sinestro Corps standard, but hell, Kyle has reasonable human fears to tap into that anyone would have. A GL isn't fearless, they overcome fear. One would just have to switch to embracing it to use the Yellow, I imagine.

A Blue Lantern can change a Red sun to Blue (beyond normal limits I imagine) with the hope of those seeing the miraculous event fueling the ring. At the same time, if the Blue Lantern loses hope, it's no good.

Come listen to our cast, and have a ball while you're at it! : D
Mewzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 02:14 PM   #34
Mister Ed
Horse of a Different Color

Quote:
Originally Posted by sylent_asassin View Post
Don't forget, the Sinestro Corps rings get their INTIAL charge from their OWN fears. Remember, the Fear Lodges? Not that that is likely to be referenced ever again, of course.
Old 12-06-2012, 04:24 AM   #35
tommyofshaolin
Green Lantern Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Ed View Post
Don't forget, the Sinestro Corps rings get their INTIAL charge from their OWN fears. Remember, the Fear Lodges? Not that that is likely to be referenced ever again, of course.
Dead on Ed!
tommyofshaolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 05:44 PM   #36
Sylent_Asassin
Black Lantern

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mewzard View Post
This actually should work. The Ring takes fear from a source and uses it. Using other people's fears is the Sinestro Corps standard, but hell, Kyle has reasonable human fears to tap into that anyone would have. A GL isn't fearless, they overcome fear. One would just have to switch to embracing it to use the Yellow, I imagine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Ed View Post
Yeah, that makes sense, but to have Kyle tap into fear by screaming out, "I'm SCARED!!" just makes his character look weak and pathetic. It's no wonder he's the red-headed stepchild of the Earth GL's.
Old 12-13-2012, 01:31 AM   #37
Cyberium
Star Sapphire's Love Slave

I thought the queen died trying to save the battery, and Carl is the new queen?

Cyberium of Sector 614, you foresee great HOPE in our future.
Cyberium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 02:12 PM   #38
SD80MAC
Not a True Fan

That was pre-Flashpoint, so it likely never happened.
Old 12-13-2012, 02:14 PM   #39
"Chosen"
NOT his black friend

She state in an issue (cant remember which one) that she gave up her position as queen. It happened.
"Chosen" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 02:28 PM   #40
SD80MAC
Not a True Fan

Typical indecisive Carol.

OH SNAP
Old 12-13-2012, 02:52 PM   #41
Gauntlet101010
Alpha-Lantern

Carol being made queen never made a lick of sense anyway. And it's pretty clear that they had no actual plans for her being a queen save to retain that title from the Silver Age.
Old 12-13-2012, 11:49 PM   #42
Dr. Naysay
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:

A Blue Lantern can change a Red sun to Blue (beyond normal limits I imagine) with the hope of those seeing the miraculous event fueling the ring. At the same time, if the Blue Lantern loses hope, it's no good.
That's not how it works. that's not how it's ever worked. What the hell are you talking about?

Wedgie.
Old 12-14-2012, 12:17 AM   #43
Mister Ed
Horse of a Different Color

Quote:
A Blue Lantern can change a Red sun to Blue (beyond normal limits I imagine) with the hope of those seeing the miraculous event fueling the ring.
That scene cracked me up at the time. Doing that would totally kill everybody on that planet just as much as the sun dying would. Unless the change in color was simply cosmetic, and not a transformation to an actual blue star, which would be much hotter. Though even then, it would STILL likely kill off their ecosystem, which by this time has probably evolved to make use of the redder light.

But it makes a great visual.

Last edited by Mister Ed; 12-14-2012 at 12:22 AM.
Mister Ed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 03:12 AM   #44
Mewzard
Say what you will about masturbation...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Naysay View Post
That's not how it works. that's not how it's ever worked. What the hell are you talking about?

Wedgie.
Except for tapping into your inner fears was the very first thing every Sinestro Corps member had to do in their fear pod. It's just taking that to the logical extension. If they didn't tap into their own fears now and again, how would they manage any sort of long duration without people to scare? They might die out in space. And if they have any hope of fighting emotionless machines, they'd have to tap into their own fears.

Don't know why you singled me out when others mentioned said fear igniting, but whatever. That's how it works, citing past examples in the GL run (though, given it's Geoff Johns, I won't deny the potential for a retcon).

Come listen to our cast, and have a ball while you're at it! : D
Mewzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 03:28 AM   #45
Dr. Naysay
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Don't know why you singled me out
Old 12-14-2012, 03:42 AM   #46
Gauntlet101010
Alpha-Lantern

Well, they do have batteries for recharging their rings. Even if we never see anyone recharge anymore.
Old 12-14-2012, 11:03 PM   #47
Tommy Boy
Hal's Understudy

I got a battery in my pants.

FEAR
Tommy Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 12:04 AM   #48
Mosaic
Star Sapphire's Love Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD80MAC View Post
I feel bad for Tony Bedard; it's clear that editorial is driving this story, and he could do so much better free from such event-laden constraints.
Me too. But as long there is an Didio an a Johns, the crap with the DC Universe continues....
Mosaic is offline   Reply With Quote