The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > General > General/About Us
FLASHCHAT

General

Old 11-27-2017, 06:50 PM   #1
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

Default The life cycle of message boards

Internet message board are declining. Here are are some of the reasons I've noticed for it. I'm not saying that any of them apply to this board. They're just general trends.

-- What the board is about can stop being a hot topic.

-- People have only so much to say about any subject. After they've said most of it, they won't talk as much.

-- Facebook is out there. Like it or not, it's popular because people don't have to filter their opinions through anyone else, and they don't have to talk to anyone who they don't know or like.

-- A clique of regulars tends to eventually emerge and to dominate a board, and to form a "conventional wisdom." Newcomers and some old-timers might not embrace that "wisdom."

-- Censorship and bannings tend to be arbitrary and personal. Mods and owners sometimes think that bannings will increase discussion, but it usually does the opposite. Most banned people have some friends on the board who out of solidarity with them will stop posting.

-- Some mods and owners take the attitude that they're doing contributors a favor by letting them post, when it's actually the posters who are doing the service, by writing content for them.

If you add all that up, you'll see that message boards have a life cycle. They're born, they rise, they fall and they die. They're not eternal.
Trey Strain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 05:50 PM   #2
Sylent_Asassin
Black Lantern

I don't know about this so-called decline... There are a great many message boards that are thriving despite Facebook, Twitter, etc. The key is diversity, I think. As much as we all like comics, that can only take you so far.

You have a point about the cliques, though. I've seen a message board branch out and die because of it. It was like the nWo takeover in wrestling- A group started to dominate the board, then they got the bright idea of making their own message board. Both ended up failing miserably.
Old 11-29-2017, 06:32 PM   #3
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylent_Asassin View Post
I don't know about this so-called decline... There are a great many message boards that are thriving despite Facebook, Twitter, etc. The key is diversity, I think. As much as we all like comics, that can only take you so far.

You have a point about the cliques, though. I've seen a message board branch out and die because of it. It was like the nWo takeover in wrestling- A group started to dominate the board, then they got the bright idea of making their own message board. Both ended up failing miserably.
I saw that happen on a board about a television show. Some of the members believed devoutly that the producer disliked the female star and mistreated her before he fired her. The star is now dead and never said anything like this publicly, and nobody connected with the show has ever said so. But a poster made sketchy claims that she had heard it directly from the star, and it became gospel.

Then the legend grew that the producer was an incompetent tyrant, even though he and the male star were so close that the star took the producer in his private plane to fishing trips in Alaska. And videos are posted online of a male co-star, one of the main writers, one of the directors and the art director praising the producer very highly. But that stuff made no impression on the gossipers.

Anybody who didn't believe the guy was a hated tyrant got chased away by a blizzard of bullshit.

Last edited by Trey Strain; 11-29-2017 at 07:02 PM.
Old Yesterday, 09:47 AM   #4
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

Traffic has dropped sharply in the past year at two boards where I sometimes post. I think hard-assed moderation has a lot to do with their declines.