Green Lantern by Geoffrey Thorne and Tom Raney Announced

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Green Lantern by Geoffrey Thorne and Tom Raney Announced

Newsarama: New Teen Titans Academy and Green Lantern titles launch post-Future State along with Justice League Dark return
    Green Lantern will be written by Geoffrey Thorne and drawn by Tom Raney, who are the creative team of the main story 'The Last Lanterns' in the Future State: Green Lantern anthology, that happens to star Justice League team member John Stewart.
    Geoffrey Thorne is one of the slew of television writers DC recently recruited.

Any word on what the cast will be for the new series?

Comment

MY money is on Baz and Cruz getting another push, because diversity.

Comment

Originally posted by Trey Strain View Post
        MY money is on Baz and Cruz getting another push, because diversity.
        If that's the case, I'm out. If the star isnt Hal, John or Guy I'm just done.

Comment

I’m sure it will be John. The writer has publicly expressed hatred of and bias against Hal, and no interest in anyone but John.

Comment

The writer dislikes Hal Jordan? Another reason for me to just walk away. I'm tired of giving DC money they dont deserve.

Comment

It looks like it will be a grizzled, older John Stewart. With no ring? And Salakk? Eh.

Comment

Going from television writer to comics writer is a strange progression. Sounds like he hasn't been getting a lot of work lately.

As far as getting a writer who dislikes Hal, I hope it's not true, but now that I think about it I'm not surprised. DC has pushed Hal hard for a long time and gotten little to show for it. If he had been put on Earth with a supporting cast, I bet the results would have been much better. But, as usual, they're going to blame a character for bad editorial decisions.

If John is really going to be a super-hero with no powers, the comic will crash and burn. DC has only ever been able to sell one character by that description.

Comment

I don't think having no powers will be a thing in the series. That sounds like it's just part of the 2 issue possible future we will never get to story for this speed bump event in January.

Comment

Originally posted by Trey Strain View Post
                    Going from television writer to comics writer is a strange progression. Sounds like he hasn't been getting a lot of work lately.

As far as getting a writer who dislikes Hal, I hope it's not true, but now that I think about it I'm not surprised. DC has pushed Hal hard for a long time and gotten little to show for it. If he had been put on Earth with a supporting cast, I bet the results would have been much better..
                    The Morrison-Sharp run has gotten plenty of positive publicity. Granted S1 was superior to S2, but it sold well for DC. It's given us some of the most memorable Green Lantern imagery ever. But this run was designed to end, so the change was inevitable.
                    Check out my Green Lantern product reviews on Twitter as the Emerald Enthusiast! @EmeraldEnthusi1

Comment

Originally posted by Big Blue Lantern View Post
                      The Morrison-Sharp run has gotten plenty of positive publicity. Granted S1 was superior to S2, but it sold well for DC. It's given us some of the most memorable Green Lantern imagery ever. But this run was designed to end, so the change was inevitable.
                      I've seen readers throw a lot of tomatoes at it, including some people who really, really want Hal to succeed. And we haven't seen the sales figures for a while. I bet they don't look so good now that the hype of having Grant Morrison writing Green Lantern has faded.

BTW, I've said for a while now that comic books should be written the way television shows are. So I'll be interested to see whether they're going to have these television writers do that, or require them to write in the established comic book format. If it's the latter, then there's not much point in bringing in television writers.
                      Trey Strain
                      Guardian of the Universe
                      Last edited by Trey Strain; 12-07-2020, 10:50 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Daddy Dave Skywalker View Post
                        The writer dislikes Hal Jordan? Another reason for me to just walk away. I'm tired of giving DC money they dont deserve.
                        There's gotta be a way to have Hal in space, Kyle in space, Guy at Oa or Earth or both, and conveniently leave John in the JLA and Baz and Cruz for specials (forget the "Far Lantern" and the "Teen Lantern").

With an artist more "science" than the current "hippy look" for Oa/GLC. Without the reverse-writing, save-alternate-univereses plots. With cameos of the Color Corps. Maybe a one, two, or three-issue rotation? More space cops. Less X-files. You can cameo ancient one-shots (the Superman-like family), but don't overpower them.

And it's starting to look like the Gold Lantern in Legionnaries is starting to unravel (Brainac 5 has questions, the last two issues show no other Corps, this guy is like Kyle Rayner with non-Guardian Guardians on Oa).

Comment

Originally posted by jhpace1 View Post
                          There's gotta be a way to have Hal in space, Kyle in space, Guy at Oa or Earth or both, and conveniently leave John in the JLA and Baz and Cruz for specials (forget the "Far Lantern" and the "Teen Lantern").

With an artist more "science" than the current "hippy look" for Oa/GLC. Without the reverse-writing, save-alternate-univereses plots. With cameos of the Color Corps. Maybe a one, two, or three-issue rotation? More space cops. Less X-files. You can cameo ancient one-shots (the Superman-like family), but don't overpower them.

And it's starting to look like the Gold Lantern in Legionnaries is starting to unravel (Brainac 5 has questions, the last two issues show no other Corps, this guy is like Kyle Rayner with non-Guardian Guardians on Oa).
                          Put Kyle in Titans, and give him some strong co-stars instead of off-brand characters. I think the best place for John is Justice League, but we might not get that for a while. Put Hal on Earth and Guy in space. Get rid of the others.

Like I've said for a while now.

Comment

Isn't Titans done? I could be way off on that.

Comment

Green Lantern is pretty much dead to me now. All this time and they still haven't found a place for Guy and a new writer that seems to only focus on John [I like John, but I am concerned that they'll ruin the character by reverting him to his Anti-White, Angry Black Man days because that's how a bunch of sheltered writers "think" is how Black people behave]

Comment

Working...
                              X