FLASHCHAT

Sector 0

Old 04-08-2021, 11:04 AM   #76
Big Blue Lantern
Corps Honor Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy Dave Skywalker View Post
Anybody else read #1 yet?

And what's the consensus on what volume we will call this series? Are we really going to call it GL volume 6? And not count GLs, The GL season 1 and season 2?
Yes. It was solid. Thorne is off to a running start, and those rumors that Red Lanterns killed Hal in issue #1 were completely false.
Old 04-08-2021, 12:26 PM   #77
mrumsey
Fatality's Blacksmith

Quote:

And what's the consensus on what volume we will call this series? Are we really going to call it GL volume 6? And not count GLs, The GL season 1 and season 2?
I read it - thought it was pretty dull. The art was pretty good, although the design of the Sinestro Corps dress uniforms is bad - and they turned Dex-Starr into a anthropomorphic feline humanoid.

mrumsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 12:32 PM   #78
Big Blue Lantern
Corps Honor Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrumsey View Post
I read it - thought it was pretty dull. The art was pretty good, although the design of the Sinestro Corps dress uniforms is bad - and they turned Dex-Starr into a anthropomorphic feline humanoid.
I know Thorne isn't your cup of tea. I actually liked that Dex-Starr looked more humanoid because it gives the impression that he's evolving, although I'm sure it's nothing more than an artistic choice.
I really love John's dress uni. Just in case you didn't see it on Twitter, I immediately demanded that Todd McFarlane deliver a figure of John in that uniform.
Old 04-08-2021, 02:12 PM   #79
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

I loved the art. I was fine with the ceremonial garb the characters were wearing for the summit. Makes sense and I always liked when they did that on Star Trek.

I was pleasantly surprised to not see any woke crap in this story, even though it could have easily been littered with that nonsense. I very much appreciate that it wasn't and Thorne decided to stick with telling his story and not preach to me.

There were plenty of seemingly throwaway lines that showed to me that Thorne knows his DC lore. Nothing that needed to be dwelled upon, but they were there and I noticed them. And appreciated them. It's clear the writer is a longtime fan and knows his history. That buys him some goodwill with me.

Other than writing Hal Jordan out of the series (which is admittedly much better than watching Thorne write a character he openly proclaims to hate), my only beefs are the inclusion of Simon Baz and the Kid Lantern characters. They even had to resort to the eye rolling trope of having other beloved established characters vouch for them to try to legitimize them. I understand that Thorne was probably given the mandate to include her, but I really dont want to see an 11 year old child in this series. And Baz? I just dont like anything about him. Give that panel space to Guy Gardner.

The story itself was serviceable, even if we've read it a million times with different window dressing. Tension filled peace summit that seems to come together at the end until an assassination that changes everything. Been there done that, but it works for this set up issue. I just wish Guardians weren't treated like cannon fodder. They are a finite source and should be shepherded better.
What I'm really dreading is this hook that the central power battery is going to be destroyed...YET AGAIN. That's the one event I'm really against. Weve seen it several times. For GL fans, destroying the central power battery is to us what JLA and Avengers fans have to deal with every time a new writer decides to destroy the JLA satellite or Avengers mansion and rebuild the roster. Ugh.
Overall I would give this set up issue a B-. It was much better than I expected and I was fairly entertained. It's really important to me that Thorne gets John Stewart's characterization right. Hes been mishandled by more writers over the last 50 years than by ones that got him right. So far so good here but we really haven't scratched the surface yet. At least it was good enough to keep me from rage quitting!
Old 04-08-2021, 03:05 PM   #80
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

Geoff's run was also about his maneuvering behind the scenes to keep the most popular artists away from other writers.
Trey Strain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 08:39 PM   #81
Mister Ed
Horse of a Different Color

It was odd, some of the reviews I read seemed to have the impression that this issue comes AFTER the events in Future State. That can't be right, can it? Much as I'd love to believe that the stupid "destruction of CPB yet AGAIN" plotline was resolved off-panel and will never be referred to again, I seriously doubt I'm that lucky.
Old 04-08-2021, 10:44 PM   #82
mrumsey
Fatality's Blacksmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Ed View Post
It was odd, some of the reviews I read seemed to have the impression that this issue comes AFTER the events in Future State. That can't be right, can it? Much as I'd love to believe that the stupid "destruction of CPB yet AGAIN" plotline was resolved off-panel and will never be referred to again, I seriously doubt I'm that lucky.
Chronologically no, this is before Future State. But according to the solicitations, we'll get there in a couple of issues.

Green Lantern #3
written by Geoffrey Thorne
art by Tom Raney and Marco Santucci
cover by Bernard Chang
card stock variant cover by Bryan Hitch
ON SALE 6/1/2021
$4.99 US | 40 PAGES | FC | DC
card stock variant cover $5.99 US | FC | DC

Stranded in a Dark Sector with no rings and no backup, John Stewart is out of options, his back against the wall. After the Central Power Battery dies, John must live long enough to gather the surviving Green Lanterns and find a way home, while one of the newest Green Lanterns, Far Sector’s Jo Mullein navigates a host of unknown dangers on the Green Lanterns’ homeworld of Oa, as she works to uncover the cause of the battery’s collapse and who was behind it.

mrumsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 10:52 PM   #83
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

Quote:
No were getting another destruction of the CPB. Thorne has made it clear in recent interviews that this is an important part of his pitch to the hook for the new volume.
Old 04-09-2021, 12:49 AM   #84
Mister Ed

Well I read the first issue, and I'm liking it thus far. They actually referenced the fact that John had been a Guardian! I NEVER thought I'd see that after all this time. The storytelling seems much more straightforward than whatever the heck Morrison was trying to do, too.

Keli is annoying thus far, but not an unrealistic annoying. It will only start to really bug me if we get some kind of explicit support for her angry, entitled attitude being RIGHT. As of yet, I don't feel like we've seen John explicitly saying she has a right to sport a powerful weapon she happened to get off an alien in a junkyard. He seems to agree that they need to know more about it. Right now I get the feeling that he just thinks that antagonizing her, when she hasn't done anything wrong exactly, isn't going to get them the answers they want.

I'm hopeful that her character will mature to the point that she can realize that finding out where the gauntlet came from and how it works are reasonable goals, and be willing to cooperate without being so stupidly defensive (like getting bent out of shape over being called anything but Teen Lantern...when she isn't even a teen).

But knowing that they are going the route of trashing the CPB? That's putting a real damper on my optimism for this series. The promise of this issue is so refreshing, but having that nonsense looming almost ruins it.

Last edited by Mister Ed; 04-09-2021 at 12:53 AM.
Mister Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 03:31 AM   #85
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
I loved the art . . . I was pleasantly surprised to not see any woke crap in this story, even though it could have easily been littered with that nonsense. I very much appreciate that it wasn't and Thorne decided to stick with telling his story and not preach to me . . .
Other than writing Hal Jordan out of the series (which is admittedly much better than watching Thorne write a character he openly proclaims to hate), my only beefs are the inclusion of Simon Baz and the Kid Lantern characters . . .
I just wish Guardians weren't treated like cannon fodder. They are a finite source and should be shepherded better . . .
Pretty much this. I liked this more than I expected. It was interesting though I’d prefer they not use the new lanterns. It does also feel like a low view of the GotU (both in terms of their strength and their morality), but not as low as Johns which is a plus. I also hate the idea of destroying the battery again and depleting the corps.

However, it was well told. I was also pleasantly surprised that Thorne properly used the too-common motif of hanging dialogue on to a box on the next page (a pet peeve of mine) rightly ... not just as a constant cliff-hanger but for irony or a proper reveal of whether the dialogue is right.

Quote:
Well I read the first issue, and I'm liking it thus far. . . . The storytelling seems much more straightforward than whatever the heck Morrison was trying to do, too . . .
It would’ve been difficult to less straightforward.
Old 04-09-2021, 05:03 AM   #86
Mister Ed

I liked that the Guardians seemed less arrogant. They seemed aware of their own limitations in terms of relating to the affairs of mere mortals, which felt like a bit of a call back to the Guardians who chose to have one of their own travel with Hal and Ollie.
Old 04-09-2021, 01:24 PM   #87
JohnMc
Weaponer of Qward

Quote:

I refuse to give this racist piece of shit a penny out of my pocket.
JohnMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 08:59 PM   #88
Mister Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMc View Post
I refuse to give this racist piece of shit a penny out of my pocket.
I assume you are talking about the author? Because there was nothing in the comic that seemed racist to me. I know he seems pretty clearly biased against Hal, and in favor of John, but I'm not inclined to toss around the label "racist" based merely on that. I'll just disagree with him (about hating Hal, anyway. I do really like John, especially from his time in Mosaic, which, surprisingly, seems to be in canon to some degree in this title, given the reference to John having been a Guardian in the past.)
Old 04-09-2021, 11:35 PM   #89
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

Thorne hasn't done or said anything that set off the racist radar with me. My issue with Thorne's opinions of Hal are directly tied to John Stewart, who is his favorite. If someone wants to complain that Hal Jordan is boring or inconsistently written, fine that's a valid arguement. But that SAME arguement hold true for John Stewart, if not 10 times as much. I love both characters dearly, but dont say John is some great fleshed out consistent character if you think Hal isn't.
Old 04-10-2021, 01:27 AM   #90
TazzMission
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
I assume you are talking about the author? Because there was nothing in the comic that seemed racist to me.
Wouldnt this be a discussion if some skin head said disgusting things about minority groups wile penning a childrens book even if his racist remarks arent written in it? Im not nor will i ever defend skin heads but people dont call the hypocrisy if a non white person says racist vile shit. People have no balls anymore to stand up and call it for what it is. Take the recent attack at the Capitol the guy who drove a car into a police barricade was black And followed Lewis farhakhan yet the media dosent cover it nor does clowns like agent purple call him a traitor or racist . Or look at the 2 black girls who murdered that arab uber driver. There getting a deal because there 13. If it was 2 white kids who did it people Would demand throw the book at them. And before people play the your racist card i date outside my race And go for black women because the school i went to was all black so im just use to having more friends and women who are exclusively that. . A lot of black individuals are sick of being looked at as a victim or treated as unintelligent. Try being black And a republican because the black community will turn on you even there own family. Same if your a gay republican . Seriously my friend Please talk to more people because this whole thing the media trys to paint republicans as racist homophobes and is just white people is bull shit. I was a life long democrat and bought into that trash . Your only going to know what people believe is by talking to such people

Anything you say can and will be used against you

Last edited by TazzMission; 04-10-2021 at 04:35 PM.
TazzMission is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 06:42 AM   #91
Star-Lantern
Green Lantern

I thought it was better than what Grant Morrison was doing, and actually seemed more like Green Lantern to me than anything I read from...well, anyone in a very long while. I guess my idea of "more like Green Lantern" is something from the 80s and early 90s series.

The art from Soy is good, the art from the other artist is just "whatever" to me. Some generic, if serviceable guy. I think this title deserves heaps of criticism for having an artist switch on the very first issue. Is that really the point things have gotten to? Not tolerable to me. And yes, I thought it was jarring. That is ALWAYS jarring unless there is a very, very good narrative reason for it, and there usually isn't. So, you're going to lose an entire grade and a half from me just for that.

For a #1 issue, the cover is very bad.

The dialogue was terrible. There is a lot I could say about it, but I'll just say it was terrible. Well, in short there were speeches that were too long and his take on "ethnic" slants fell completely on its face, and the writer would do well to just cut that out completely.

The writer's choice of characters is questionable. John is fine. Baz is not. Teen Lantern...oh my god. Far worse than Scrappy Doo. Cringe inducing for numerous reasons any time she is on panel. As for the faux JL/U Hawkgirl...Um...I actually don't have a problem with that. No (reasonable) person should complain about John Stewart being with Hawkgirl and you get to have a similar dynamic for people who watched the cartoons. I also think it's a good idea for John Stewart to have more characters that are definitively tied to him, because he basically has none that have lasted sans Fatality, who could be argued is actually more of a Kyle Rayner character.

Um...the story...I honestly can't say anything too good about it, other than it was generic and the plot mostly inoffensive, though the writer had better have a very good reason why that arrow was able to kill a Guardian.

The villain was bad. I don't know if it was a good idea to start things out with some mindless calamity as the main threat. It just kind of detaches me from the story. Also, I think the thing changed from green (at the very beginning) to orange. Uh...confusing. Take your comics more seriously, DC. I mean, you ARE in the business of comics, after all.

All in all, the comic wasn't that great to me, and the best things I could say about it is that it was largely inoffensive outside of everything to do with Teen Lantern, and it actually seemed more reminiscent of what I like about Green Lantern than anything I can recall reading in a long time, which is actually a really good thing! That said, these days, if you're going to get me to sit down and spend my time reading a comic (unlike watching videos or listening to audiobooks, I can't do anything else while doing that), it had better be really, really good. And this wasn't that good to me.
It also doesn't seem to have anything new or interesting to say, or any interesting angle or goal, other than "Let's flesh out these black/brown Green Lantern characters." Besides that, it just seems like "Do Green Lanterns have a place in the universe," and some half baked riff on Star Wars' Galactic Republic (despite the United Planets being around longer, the trappings here were all Star Wars). And we've seen that stuff before, both in Green Lantern and other places...like Star Wars.

Last edited by Star-Lantern; 04-13-2021 at 06:53 AM.
Star-Lantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 12:53 PM   #92
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star-Lantern View Post
The art from Soy is good, the art from the other artist is just "whatever" to me. Some generic, if serviceable guy. I think this title deserves heaps of criticism for having an artist switch on the very first issue. Is that really the point things have gotten to? Not tolerable to me. And yes, I thought it was jarring. That is ALWAYS jarring unless there is a very, very good narrative reason for it, and there usually isn't. So, you're going to lose an entire grade and a half from me just for that...
Some of the other post-Future State books are doing split stories (e.g., Batman with a Ghost Maker backup in the last Batman issue). I wonder whether this could be a set-up for something similar (e.g. John is one story and Baz/teen a backup)? Just a thought.

Quote:
...As for the faux JL/U Hawkgirl...Um...I actually don't have a problem with that. No (reasonable) person should complain about John Stewart being with Hawkgirl and you get to have a similar dynamic for people who watched the cartoons. . .
I would like a John-Hawkgirl relationship. It might just have been a nod and wink to the cartoon fans, but I thought it was fun.
Old 04-13-2021, 09:12 PM   #93
Star-Lantern
Green Lantern

I decided to do a video review of the comic
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJoFNvu4xgs
Star-Lantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 11:23 PM   #94
Mister Ed

So am I a bad person because I didn't even notice there were multiple artists for the issue?
Old 04-14-2021, 12:16 AM   #95
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
I decided to do a video review of the comic
+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Good points. I also like seeing what all you guys here look like.

One correction (though it's possible you have a different cover with a misprint): according to my cover, this comic was rated 13+.
Old 04-14-2021, 05:33 AM   #96
Big Blue Lantern
Corps Honor Guard

With the launch of the new series, we did a special, impromptu Emerald Echo. Even if you aren't a fan of this issue, give us a look for my Green Lantern Nerd Cave if nothing else.
+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.