Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > Green Lanternverse > Sector 0
FLASHCHAT

Sector 0

Old 03-03-2020, 09:54 PM   #26
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypo View Post
Well considering that the phrase nappy-headed has its roots in othering black people in order to justify slavery I'd say it's not really equitable to saying someone looks like Santa Claus. If we do enslave fat people though and justify it by saying that they look like Santa Claus I will firmly be on your side...
I agree with that. It's not the same or the same degree and I wasn't trying to suggest they were. It's just part of the same mindset---this "pudgy" person should be dismissed because of how they look. And it's subtly dangerous because we can always get away with stereotypes that aren't considered "serious."

Truthfully, I liked a lot of Marz stories and he's probably my favorite writer for Kyle and I don't think he's like David Dukes or something.

I just always hated when people have a legitimate argument and they resort to stereotyping. It's a silly, fictional comparison, but I always hated this bit in the movie Notting Hill, where Julia Roberts confronts random people speaking vulgarly about her. It's a great moment where she triumphs in a classy way, but then says "I'm sure you guys have dicks the size of peanuts." What the heck does that have to do with anything? And if it were true, is she saying they're lesser people and should be judged on that?

But now I've said way more to justify a side comment than I should have. I don't think we really disagree except in degree. I personally think there's never justification to be rude (even if your opponent is) and I believe in any disagreement where you could take the high road or the low road you demean yourself and your argument by taking the low road.

Last edited by Space Cop; 03-03-2020 at 11:37 PM.
Space Cop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 12:12 AM   #27
Ωmega Man
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trey Strain View Post
When your career highlight is Emerald Twilight, and you're still complaining on and on and on about something like that fifteen years later, you need to sit down and be quiet.
Pretty sure his career highlight was the continued success of Kyle Rayner well into Volume 3. The Hal vs. Kyle controversy was a big deal in the beginning of his career with DC, but making Kyle the third biggest franchise at DC only getting beat out by books that included Superman and Batman [this includes JLA] is something to be noted.

And if people don't know, he also created Genis Vell over at Marvel [who became Capt. Marvel himself in the early 2000's], and had a lengthy run on the Silver Surfer as well. Pretty sure he also wrote part of DC vs. Marvel....
Ωmega Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 04:44 AM   #28
Big Blue Lantern
Corps Honor Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypo View Post

When you don't like a comic book story there are plenty of things you can do, you can bitch about it online, you can stop buying the book, you can go to cons or whatever and tell creators that you miss the old direction in a non harassing way and probably a million other things I'm forgetting. But when you start a campaign to get someone fired and kicked out of the industry you are a douche. And when you act like a douche people will probably be rude to you, and as long as that rudeness isn't something over the top I'm ok with it.

As a side note a Santa Claus looking dude starting a campaign to get someone fired from a book but continuing to buy said book and trying to get them all signed is the most stereotypical thing I've ever heard and it cracks me up. The fact that he tried to give Marz a membership card is also hilarious.

This is a solid, level-headed post. As I alluded to earlier in this thread, I know exactly what it's like to feel disgruntled as a fan. I washed my hands of Marvel for a brief time, after 25+ years as a fan, due to their treatment of Venom. To this day, my wife won't let people mention Topher Grace around me since she's been the unfortunate recipient of many a rant about how revolting Venom's live-action debut was in SM3. But not once did it ever cross my mind to track down Grace or Joe Quesada at a Con to harass one of them over it. I just took a breath and waited for the status quo to return.

And, yes, that story about the HEAT guy confronting Marz but still wanting autographs is hilariously indicative of many comic book fans. I've never quite understood how people will continue to spend money and time on something that no longer brings them pleasure, but I've seen numerous examples of it in comic book fandom.
Old 03-04-2020, 08:56 AM   #29
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

Maybe Marz finally figured out that his "cool" and "tough" guys didn't win that fight after all.

Geoff is a politician, and he spun it as if everybody won. And the folks who really did win enjoyed their victory quietly. Maybe that was a mistake though. Maybe we should have gloated and rubbed it in on them, as they richly deserved.

No ill will toward Marz, despite the unsightly tantrum he threw there. I hope he gets a good job writing a comic that's very successful.

Just not Green Lantern.
Trey Strain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 05:35 AM   #30
Big Blue Lantern
Corps Honor Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trey Strain View Post

Geoff is a politician, and he spun it as if everybody won. .
That's as good of a description as any. Emerald Twilight has been a huge part of the GL mythos even after Marz moved on, as is most recently evidenced by Morrison alluding to it in S1. Hal's return and the subsequent Johns' run made Hal more visible than ever despite Kyle still being an integral part of GL.
Old 03-07-2020, 04:21 PM   #31
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

And Wizard's "explanation" for that has always set off my bullshit detector. How in the hell could anyone make an "editing error" like that? Have any of you ever made an "editing error" like that when you were posting here?

Well, they got what was coming to them.
Trey Strain is offline   Reply With Quote