The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > Green Lanternverse > Other Comics
FLASHCHAT

Miscellaneous GL Comics

Old 03-01-2020, 03:22 PM   #1576
Agent Purple
The Illustrated Man

Of note, Man-Bat was a protag in the Beware the Batman cartoon.
Old 03-01-2020, 06:01 PM   #1577
Hypo
Lil' Leaguer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Heide View Post
1. They've been trying to turn Man-Bat into a protagonist since at least Justice League Dark. I expect him to be in Suicide Squad soon.
The fact that they're trying to make him a good guy is why I think the mini is weird, look at this solicitation:
Quote:
For years Kirk Langstrom has struggled with his monstrous alter ego Man-Bat and the serum that transformed him. But hes finally hit rock bottom following a devastating setback, and hes going to take out his anger on every single citizen of Gotham City. Will the combined might of Batman and the GCPD be enough to stop Langstrom once and for all? Or will this just be the start of Man-Bats devastation?
Quote:
2. SGM?
Sean Gordon Murphy. Definitely no interest in a book where he's writing and not drawing, barely any interest where he's writing and drawing.
Old 03-01-2020, 07:35 PM   #1578
Hypo
Lil' Leaguer

Bleeding Cool, following up on their original report that DC has been courting writers with non-comic book background, has named a few names that they say will be "major figures" in upcoming books, whether it be Black Label or 5G:

Some of these people do actually have comic book writing experience though and others appear to have worked on comic book tv shows, cartoons and movies.
Old 03-01-2020, 07:38 PM   #1579
Michael Heide
Heide Finition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypo View Post
Sean Gordon Murphy. Definitely no interest in a book where he's writing and not drawing, barely any interest where he's writing and drawing.
Oh. Him. Yeah, I stopped following his work at all when he was a douche on twitter.
Michael Heide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 04:07 PM   #1580
Hypo
Lil' Leaguer

Bleeding Cool: Wally West a New Pariah For DC Comics?
Quote:
Okay, so lots of rumours and gossip came out of C2E2, and as ever I usually start to get to hear them on the Sunday night of the show, when lips are looser and wetter. One of which is that DC Comics has further plans for Wally West beyond his current Dr Manhattan-powered-up state, and what we saw from this Wednesday and that he will be known as Pariah. Or at least that was the plan, the exit of Dan DiDio means that everything is up in the air.
Bleeding Cool: DC Comics to Publish a New WarWorld Comic?
Quote:
Okay, so lots of rumours and gossip came out of C2E2, and as ever I usually start to get to hear them on the Sunday night of the show, when lips are looser and wetter. One of which is that DC Comics is prepping a new WarWorld comic book later in the year. Or at least they were, the exit of Dan DiDio means that everything is up in the air.
Old 03-03-2020, 07:47 PM   #1581
Hypo
Lil' Leaguer

Quote:
Oh. Him. Yeah, I stopped following his work at all when he was a douche on twitter.
Yea, he does come off as a bit of a dink doesn't he? Even his tweet establishing the rules for his new White Knight imprint rubbed me the wrong way, specifically point number two, "No inner monologues". You're going to invite other creators to play in your sandbox but only if they do it exactly the way you would? It's like when JH Williams brought Amy Reeder in on Batwoman but wanted her to draw it the way he would.
Old 03-08-2020, 02:26 PM   #1582
Hypo
Lil' Leaguer

A few upcoming omnibuses courtesy of Bleeding Cool.

Also some pics of the Swamp Thing by Nancy Collins omnibus in the wild:

Last edited by Hypo; 03-08-2020 at 02:41 PM.
Hypo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 06:28 PM   #1583
Hypo
Lil' Leaguer

THR: Mariko Tamaki Takes Over DC's 'Wonder Woman' This Summer
Old 03-10-2020, 06:03 AM   #1584
Ωmega Man
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Bleeding Cool, following up on their original report that DC has been courting writers with non-comic book background, has named a few names that they say will be "major figures" in upcoming books, whether it be Black Label or 5G:

Some of these people do actually have comic book writing experience though and others appear to have worked on comic book tv shows, cartoons and movies.
Anybody remember John Semper towards the end of Cyborg's last series? He was one of the main guys over Spider-Man TAS back in the 90's.... and his writing left a bit to be desired. I'd be willing to bet none of the names on this list will bring much to the table. DC can only publish so many Batman and Joker stories. One out of the five might write something more than 12 issues.

Another problem is there's not enough 2nd string and 3rd string characters/concepts on the shelves as there used to be. Right now if it's not a property directly tied to Superman/Batman, the JL comics, or the Teen Titans then it's something with a show or cartoon series like Young Justice and Doom Patrol. There are dozens of characters just collecting dust that DC could be doing something with.

New talent needs to be brought into the fold and given a chance to make something out of 2nd and 3rd string concepts before being given the keys to do something high profile. Unless they just favor those concepts more and have a lot of interesting ideas... Tom King came in and wrote Omega Men and Grayson before being given the keys to Batman proper. Then after making another 3rd string character like Mister Miracle popular DC's giving him Adam Strange. Geoff Johns got his start writing Stars & STRIPE. And Grant Morrison's earliest work was Animal Man IIRC.

DC should hire editors who edit and let creators create. If they published a few more titles per month and accepted proposals for unused concepts there's bound to be some diamonds in the rough. Marvel hired a person to write a comic because of a social justice paper they wrote in college. And IIRC it's not even that 3rd string of a property, but somebody in the billion dollar movie club like Black Panther.

When you go out of your way to find people who are passionate about the material you get people like Geoff Johns and Kevin Feige who changed the landscape across media. You're not going to do that with a bunch of people who aren't familiar with the decades of history that just throw shit at the wall and hope something sticks after reading five whole comics and a wiki page. That's how you get movies like Harley Quinn & the BoP and the Amazing Spider-Man, and comic eras like DCYou and ANAD (SJW) Marvel.

I'd bet dollars to donuts I could pitch something better than at least two of the new writers, doesn't matter how 2nd or 3rd string or even if it's an event used to reimagine more than one concept.
Ωmega Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 11:20 PM   #1585
Hypo
Lil' Leaguer

DC's got some box sets coming out, a DC Graphic Novels for Kids one, a DC Graphic Novels for Young Adults one and a Sandman one.
Old 03-11-2020, 02:12 AM   #1586
Hypo
Lil' Leaguer

Tom Taylor announced DCeased 2:

Also here are some shots of The Sandman Overture Gallery Edition in the wild:

Old 03-11-2020, 03:12 AM   #1587
Space Cop
The Dandy

^Cool. I feel like King's alternate universes are the closest we can get to post-Crisis, pre-Flashpoint DCU.

And I just ordered my DCeased Hal Jordan figure from the LCS.
Old 03-13-2020, 02:52 AM   #1588
Hypo
Lil' Leaguer

Dark Nights: Death Metal #2 Variant by Artgerm

Old 03-13-2020, 03:20 AM   #1589
Michael Heide
Heide Finition

It took me way too long to realize that this is an alternate Harley.
Old 03-13-2020, 02:20 PM   #1590
Hypo
Lil' Leaguer

Si Spurrier and Aaron Loprestri will be doing an arc on Justice League beginning with #48.
Old 03-13-2020, 04:35 PM   #1591
Hypo
Lil' Leaguer

DC Comics JUNE 2020 Solicitations
Old 03-14-2020, 02:00 PM   #1592
Ωmega Man
Guardian of the Universe

In Catwoman #24 we finally get the long awaited return of one of the most insane comics characters ever created....

SNOWFLAME!

(it's the villain who got powers from cocaine lol)

EDIT: AND GEOFF JOHNS IS NO LONGER WRITING SHAZAM?!?

Last edited by Ωmega Man; 03-14-2020 at 02:13 PM.
Old 03-14-2020, 03:01 PM   #1593
Michael Heide
Heide Finition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ωmega Man View Post
EDIT: AND GEOFF JOHNS IS NO LONGER WRITING SHAZAM?!?
Just a fill-in.
Old 03-14-2020, 03:30 PM   #1594
Ωmega Man
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Just a fill-in.
I was about to get super annoyed LOL.

He basically did to Shazam what he did to Green Lantern, creating another handful of variations of the central characters in different colored suits.

Have they given Mary a new codename since Mary Marvel is out the window? Calling Freddy Blue Marvel is definitely not an option since Marvel took the name for another character. It's just ridiculous tiptoeing around giving them all codenames. And now Billy's biological father is part of the family and looking somewhat anti-Shazam with his color swapped variation of Billy's suit ala Reverse Flash.

If DC isn't going to let anyone else do stuff with those older classic Fawcett characters, they should let Geoff incorporate some of them into his Shazam. I'd love to see him do something with Bulletman, Spy Smasher, Minuteman, etc. and bring them into the modern era.
Old 03-14-2020, 09:25 PM   #1595
Ωmega Man
Guardian of the Universe

My pull list isn't looking too bad for that month either.

DCeased, Three Jokers, Death Metal, Strange Adventures, Aquaman, Batman TAC, Batman Beyond, the Flash, the Green Lantern, Hawkman (which has been consistently good), JL Dark, LoSH, Man Bat, the Question, Shazam, the Terrifics, and Young Justice.

I'll likely grab Superman for the Dr. Fate appearance, and Catwoman for the stuff with Snowflame that month too.
Old 03-15-2020, 05:53 PM   #1596
Hypo
Lil' Leaguer

Quote:
A few thoughts:
  • A DCeased Sequel was a no brainer. Excited to see what Tom Taylor has cooked up
  • I find it hard to make myself care about Three Jokers especially when we're so far removed from Johns JL stuff. Hopefully Jason Fabok will free up soon to work on other projects.
  • I also find it hard to care about Death Metal
  • As a Tynion on Batman doubter I have enjoyed the heck out of his run so far
  • We seem to be inching closer and closer to end of the Ric Grayson...just let it end already DC
  • I think Mariko Tamaki is a slam dunk pick for the Wonder Woman book
  • Sean Gordon Murphy and David Marquez's cover art doesn't seem up to their usual standards
  • "Legion of Zoom" made me laugh
  • Surprised to see Venditti off JL so quickly, wonder if we'll just get a new team every arc for a while
  • Johns ends his Shazam run not with a bang but with a whimper seems like
  • The second Generations one shot being missing from the June solicits seems entirely predictable. One retailer was informed that the first issue will be re-solicited.
  • Covers I like:

Old 03-19-2020, 03:23 PM   #1597
Hypo
Lil' Leaguer

Quote:
Just a fill-in.
Boo.

Old 03-19-2020, 04:41 PM   #1598
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

I really like that Wonder Woman design. That's how you tweak something and modernize it the right way.
Old 03-19-2020, 06:53 PM   #1599
Michael Heide
Heide Finition

And again with the sword and shield.
Old 03-24-2020, 12:21 PM   #1600
Hypo
Lil' Leaguer

Bleeding Cool: DC Comics' Printer Closes Tomorrow