The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > General > General/About Us
FLASHCHAT

General

Old 04-23-2020, 10:24 PM   #1701
Lantern of Gallifrey
Senior Corps Member

So I know Doctor Who sucks now, but I came across this audio drama from Big Finish.
They brought back the original actress that played Susan. I really want to listen to this.

It's great to see that somewhere in the world good Doctor Who is being made.
Old 04-24-2020, 11:04 PM   #1702
Parrylakks
Comte de la Fere

Season 11 of the revival may have been really rough, but Season 12 was phenomenal. Jodie Whittaker is a fantastic Doctor, and the season finale is one of the best episodes of the whole franchise, in my opinion (and yes, I've seen it all, save for the episodes that have been lost).
Old 04-25-2020, 03:36 AM   #1703
Space Cop
The Dandy

Well, for my part, the gender retcon was just the last straw for, but I hadn't enjoyed DW for quite some time. The manager at my LCS is quitting too. He watched all of the last season and hated it.

Truthfully, it's classic Doctor Who that I'm a fan of (though I haven't yet seen it all like you). Rather like Star Trek and Star Wars, the current stuff doesn't represent what I always liked about them. I've even considered selling my DVD collections of seasons 1 and 2 just to make it an official cut off in my collection.
And he shall judge among the nations, and shall rebuke many people: and they shall beat their swords into plowshares, and their spears into pruninghooks: nation shall not lift up sword against nation, neither shall they learn war any more.
—Isaiah 2:4
Space Cop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 04:11 AM   #1704
Parrylakks
Comte de la Fere

If you disliked the gender retcon so much that you stopped watching, you'd probably hate the finale of season 12, as it presents a massive retcon that even the Doctor is thrown off by.

It makes total sense in the grand scheme of things, mind you, holding everything we've seen as true (so it's not a geoffcon), but it is still by definition a retcon, and leaves pretty much everything moving forward as a great big question mark. That said, it gives a lot of answers concerning the origins of the time lords, but with those answers comes the great new mystery.

It is exceptionally interesting, all things considered, but if retcons turned you away, you likely wouldn't be won over by another.
Old 04-25-2020, 12:53 PM   #1705
Space Cop
The Dandy

^Yeah, that’s the thing (I heard something about the eternity of the Doctor or something) that got my LCS manager so mad.
And he shall judge among the nations, and shall rebuke many people: and they shall beat their swords into plowshares, and their spears into pruninghooks: nation shall not lift up sword against nation, neither shall they learn war any more.
—Isaiah 2:4
Space Cop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 10:45 PM   #1706
Parrylakks
Comte de la Fere

Yeah, to explain it...

the doctor isn't a time lord, or at least not like the others. The history of Galifrey was a lie set up by the first time lords, who were Galifreyans given the ability to regenerate through a process crafted by the research of one person. That research was centered around figuring out how the timeless child, an orphan found on a distant planet, regenerated. The group that came to be known as the time lords then created time lord society as we know it, and hid the true origins away from everyone, including the timeless child, who's origins remained unknown. That timeless child was, of course, the Doctor, and the select few of time lord society entrusted with protecting the lie would erase the Doctor's memories every 13 regenerations to do so. So everything we know of the Doctor's "first" life, and all the regenerations since is true, but the things said about the time lords' history isn't. It also goes on to purport that there are many many versions of the Doctor out there, always stealing a TARDIS and taking the moniker, always being hidden from themselves by the secret society of time lords, on and on.

It's incredibly interesting, in my opinion, but I can see how some may feel like it cheapens everything. I personally think it enhances the mystery, and I can't wait to see where it goes. As it stands, we've already seen one "other," not counting those seen during the research scene, so we may end up with a lot more in the seasons to come.
Old 04-27-2020, 10:30 PM   #1707
Lantern of Gallifrey
Senior Corps Member

I'm with Space Cop. I haven't been really happy with Doctor Who for awhile. Not to mention from some of the stuff I've heard the newer stuff doesn't pay attention to cannon or continuity.