14.29%
    42.86%
    28.57%
    14.29%

I dislike the cover.

Comment

^It's Tan's; what were you expecting?

Comment

I am starting to wonder, if DC stays status quo and there is no 'Rebirth', then they still need to rethink the art on Green Lantern. I really long for Ivan's return, but DC has some serious artist talent that isn't really doing anything right now. Green Lantern was arguably the #2 franchise behind the Batchise, for the last 20 years, maybe now trailing the JLA as well. If the talent is to be redistributed it would be important for DC to upgrade Green Lantern. Jimmenez, Gary Frank, Ivan Reis or the guy that is doing Justice League right now. Also missed opportunity not getting Darryl Banks to do the Green Lantern #50 cover. I would have spent some extra cash for that. Nobody draws Parallax like Banks does.

Comment

Originally posted by EmeraldGladiator View Post
          I am starting to wonder, if DC stays status quo and there is no 'Rebirth', then they still need to rethink the art on Green Lantern. I really long for Ivan's return, but DC has some serious artist talent that isn't really doing anything right now. Green Lantern was arguably the #2 franchise behind the Batchise, for the last 20 years, maybe now trailing the JLA as well. If the talent is to be redistributed it would be important for DC to upgrade Green Lantern. Jimmenez, Gary Frank, Ivan Reis or the guy that is doing Justice League right now. Also missed opportunity not getting Darryl Banks to do the Green Lantern #50 cover. I would have spent some extra cash for that. Nobody draws Parallax like Banks does.
          I think Tan is on his way out regardless. He has only done minimal work really over the past few months, with Coccolo and even Van Sciver doing more. Tan has only done the Parallax pages in 47-48. I don't think Venditti or Tan survives the relaunch, but Tan is the safer bet to be gone. And Darryl not getting more regular work, especially on GL related stuff, is a travesty.
          "My mind is deluged with thoughts of Heaven and Hell,
          Crime and Punishment, Damnation and Redemption. Hal
          Jordan... And The Spectre.

I'm dead, yet I live. I have no identity. Yet I know
          who I am. And once again I've been given power enough
          to change the world. This time, Lord...
          Let me be worthy."

Comment

Originally posted by Space Cop View Post
            ^It's Tan's; what were you expecting?
            Something better? lol.

A cover should entice someone who's not reading the book (i.e. me) to pick up the book, this doesn't even come close.

If the talent is to be redistributed it would be important for DC to upgrade Green Lantern. Jimmenez, Gary Frank, Ivan Reis or the guy that is doing Justice League right now.
            On the artists you suggested:
            • Jimenez - What's the last book he worked on as an artist? I honestly can't think of anything he's done recently.
            • Frank - Too slow to do a monthly and busy with Batman: Earth One regardless.
            • Reis - Busy with Rise of the Seven Seas.
            • Fabok - Doubt he leaves Justice League but if he were to the only way you're getting him on this book would be:
              • Have him write the book
              • Pair him with an A-list writer
            Hypo
            Lil' Leaguer
            Last edited by Hypo; 02-03-2016, 06:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Hypo View Post
              ...[*]Frank - Too slow to do a monthly and busy with Batman: Earth One regardless...
              This is true. I like Frank, but with DC policy of keeping the books monthly, they'd have a fill-in artist every other issue.

Comment

Originally posted by Spectremjm View Post
                I think Tan is on his way out regardless. He has only done minimal work really over the past few months, with Coccolo and even Van Sciver doing more. Tan has only done the Parallax pages in 47-48. I don't think Venditti or Tan survives the relaunch, but Tan is the safer bet to be gone. And Darryl not getting more regular work, especially on GL related stuff, is a travesty.
                The reason Tan has done only minimal work the past few months is because he needed the extra time to do the double sized #50

Comment

Originally posted by "Chosen" View Post
                  The reason Tan has done only minimal work the past few months is because he needed the extra time to do the double sized #50
                  I hope it is his best work to date, because it seemed to dip recently, I thought his Emperor Vulcan/War of Kings X-Men stuff was pretty good. I figure oversized and extra time for a big issue. Fingers crossed.

Comment

Hypo:
                    Other artists I would like
                    Nicola Scott, loved her work on Earth 2
                    Finch, I know he is with is wife over on WW but if they remove her as writer his early work on Cyber Force and Ascension was some of the best ever.
                    Eaglesham liked his work over in Sinestro
                    Ed Benes hasn't been up to much
                    Brett Booth since his time on Flash is about to wrap up his time on Flash

Comment

Some spoilers for the spoiler thread.

At first glance, pretty darned average.

Average art, average wrap up to the Sonar arc.

Average.

Which is a bummer based on a decent set up. Sonar was modernized well, with a fine tip of the cap to his early appearances in GL volume two. That was cool. The build up with his mad bomber plan, was standard, but fit the character.

The big 'showdown' was anticlimactic -- since Hal stops the big plan at the U.N. without ever seeing Sonar. A different way to end an arc, yet, didn't do a lot for me.

The less than average part is Hal losing control of the gauntlet. Loses control at his brother's place, doesn't bat an eyelash over it, loses control on the way in to the U.N., is not too concerned about it. We get the five minute cut away to the happy ending, and two more panels setting up GL #50.

The set up has become what critics argued Renegade was all about, a slightly out of control, overpowered, gauntlet Renegade Hal versus a very out of control, way overpowered ate the Central Power Battery Hal as Parallax.

I thought Renegade was supposed to be unique in that this was Hal's reasonable choice to restore the reputation of the GLC, and not another Hal making poor choices and goes a little bonkers tale. Seen that movie a couple times.

Perhaps the Hal v. Hal battle will reveal something I didn't anticipate. Maybe we will get a bit more of Hal being in character before New 52 crash lands forever in a few months.

The last issue can still make this a decent arc, but it will have to be much better than #49....

-Don
                      “Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will.” ― Mahatma Gandhi

Comment

Originally posted by "Chosen" View Post
                        Except he isn't doing the art on #51 either, so there probably is more to it than just having time to do issue 50. This has been the trend for a while now.
                        "My mind is deluged with thoughts of Heaven and Hell,
                        Crime and Punishment, Damnation and Redemption. Hal
                        Jordan... And The Spectre.

I'm dead, yet I live. I have no identity. Yet I know
                        who I am. And once again I've been given power enough
                        to change the world. This time, Lord...
                        Let me be worthy."

Comment

Eh, I liked the bit at UN. Not great, but not bad.

Comment

Originally posted by Space Cop View Post
                            Eh, I liked the bit at UN. Not great, but not bad.
                            The save was actually cool to me -- but then no finale with the bad guy.
                            “Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will.” ― Mahatma Gandhi

Comment

Hypo:
                              Other artists I would like
                              Nicola Scott, loved her work on Earth 2
                              Finch, I know he is with is wife over on WW but if they remove her as writer his early work on Cyber Force and Ascension was some of the best ever.
                              Eaglesham liked his work over in Sinestro
                              Ed Benes hasn't been up to much
                              Brett Booth since his time on Flash is about to wrap up his time on Flash
                              • Nicola Scott - She's busy working on her creator owned series, Black Magick, with Greg Rucka. If you're a fan you might want to check it out, probably the best art of her career.
                              • David Finch - I actually think his recent work really hasn't been that good, he use to be decent if he had appropriate lead time but even that isn't a given anymore. Regardless since he's a big name the only way you get him on this book is if:
                                • You pair him with an A-list writer
                                • His wife writes the book (you don't want that).
                                • He writes the book (you REALLY don't want that).
                              • Dale Eaglesham - He'd be a great choice.
                              • Ed Benes - He'd be an ok choice I suppose, I didn't particularly care for him in the past, his faces always annoyed me.
                              • Brett Booth - Only slightly better than Tan in my book.

While not A-list I think any of the following would be solid choices for the book:
                              • Karl Kerschl
                              • Mikel Janin
                              • Cliff Chiang
                              • Jorge Jimenez
                              • Barnaby Bagenda
                              Hypo
                              Lil' Leaguer
                              Last edited by Hypo; 02-05-2016, 02:07 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X