The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > General > General/About Us
FLASHCHAT

General

Old 02-19-2020, 10:27 PM   #1876
Space Cop
The Dandy

I might not keep up my recent habit of reading the Ian Fleming Bond books for every other leisure read (I have so many other books I want to read), but I only have 5 left, really enjoyed the last one, and this one is kind-of short.

The Spy Who Loved Me (1962)

Last edited by Space Cop; 03-20-2020 at 03:07 AM.
Space Cop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 06:59 PM   #1877
Tazer
That Evil, Yellow Bastiche

Yo.

am taking a break from bks 4 & 5 of The World to indulge myself in the following (which I just found last nite):

Tazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Geoff Johns should have a 10 mile restraining order from comic books, let alone films.
Tazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 03:08 AM   #1878
Space Cop
The Dandy

Surprised by Suffering
by R.C. Sproul

Old 03-20-2020, 05:08 AM   #1879
Parrylakks
Comte de la Fere

I should really be reading something else, as I've read the D'Artagnan Romances a few times over, but I recently got the Oxford World Classics editions to replace my mishmashed collection so that I have a consistent through line translation, and I've just been wanting to go through it all... so I am.

Old 04-04-2020, 01:24 AM   #1880
Space Cop
The Dandy

Star Trek: Web of the Romulans
by M.S. Murdock

Liked this one. I did not intend to read an ST book centering on a plague, but it was interesting to do so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrylakks View Post
I should really be reading something else, as I've read the D'Artagnan Romances a few times over, but I recently got the Oxford World Classics editions to replace my mishmashed collection so that I have a consistent through line translation, and I've just been wanting to go through it all... so I am...
I am ashamed (as a former lit major and a general book lover) that I have not read those. I’m not sure which I even have in my collection. I’ve been interested, but I think I was always hindered by their length and especially the idea that I’d have to read them all.
Old 04-06-2020, 08:50 PM   #1881
Parrylakks
Comte de la Fere

Decided to give the Dark Tower series a go, despite my general lack of liking the author's work. Not too far in, yet, but it is a bit better than I remember the other works of his that I have approached being. Who knows, maybe I'll really like these.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Cop View Post
I am ashamed (as a former lit major and a general book lover) that I have not read [The D'Artagnan Romances]. Iím not sure which I even have in my collection. Iíve been interested, but I think I was always hindered by their length and especially the idea that Iíd have to read them all.
Truly, you should give them a go. They are long (especially the third book, Victomte de Bragelonne, which is so lengthy that its translations are often separated into three books, itself), but they are fun and fairly easy to read. Well, most of them. The middle part of the third book (known as Louise de la Valiere) is actually quite dull, being a lull of slow movement in the center of the plot that culminates in the final part (known as The Man in the Iron Mask), which agains moves easily. As an old favorite of mine, I would recommend them to everyone, or at the very least the first two (The Three Musketeers and Twenty Years After) and the finale of the third.
Old 04-06-2020, 11:02 PM   #1882
Space Cop
The Dandy

On Her Majesty's Secret Service
by Ian Fleming

Quote:
Decided to give the Dark Tower series a go, despite my general lack of liking the author's work. Not too far in, yet, but it is a bit better than I remember the other works of his that I have approached being. . .
I have a kind of love-hate relationship with King's work. My mother loves his stuff and I've read a lot, but he does do things I don't like and then I take a long break before returning.

Quote:
Truly, you should give them a go. . .
Well, I have Three Muskateers, so there's no reason not to.
Old 05-14-2020, 11:02 AM   #1883
Parrylakks
Comte de la Fere

I stumbled upon a series of mysteries centered around Dumas' famous four, and decided to check them out. I figure as I often enjoy films based on the characters that fail to hold to the original stories, I might also enjoy books that do the same. As such I hunted all five of them down, and added them to my collection. Here's hoping they're good.
Old 05-14-2020, 11:42 AM   #1884
Space Cop
The Dandy

Koran [Qur'an]
translated by J.M. Rodwell; edited by Alan Jones

Even though my schedule isn't that different on lockdown, I do have some more reading time due to a lack of classes to teach at my church; so I'm using the time to read some heftier volumes I had put off. I had read portions of this in my religions class in college, but wanted to read the whole thing and did.

Last edited by Space Cop; 05-14-2020 at 01:01 PM.
Old 05-15-2020, 10:01 PM   #1885
W.West

Send a message via AIM to W.West Send a message via Yahoo to W.West Send a message via Skype™ to W.West

Star Wars: Heir to the Empire by Timothy Zahn

Everyone put this on the highest of pedestals. It did not deserve it. Not a bad book by any means but I didn't find anything special in it. I guess it was cool at the time because it was expanding the Star Wars universe but now all that seems passe.
Old 05-15-2020, 10:26 PM   #1886
Space Cop
The Dandy

You Only Live Twice
by Ian Fleming

Read this, which is the last Bond book Fleming published in his life. There's two more to go (1 novel, 1 short story collection) published posthumously.

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.West View Post

Everyone put this on the highest of pedestals. It did not deserve it. Not a bad book by any means but I didn't find anything special in it. I guess it was cool at the time because it was expanding the Star Wars universe but now all that seems passe.
I remember reading those I think in Junior High or something; long before they announced the prequels. At the time, it was just so neat to have more Star Wars. Now, I very much wish it ended with RotJ. To this day, I try to work out how a culture's art could you give a significant insight in battle as per Thrawn's claim. I think it's BS, but it's an interesting idea.

Last edited by Space Cop; 05-15-2020 at 10:30 PM.
Old 05-16-2020, 03:56 AM   #1887
Parrylakks
Comte de la Fere

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.West View Post

I think a lot of the raving for this trilogy came from the fact that George Lucas was said to have claimed in passing that they were essentially episodes 7-9. The truth of that claim is shoddy at best, as the internet has proven to have conflicting accounts thereof, but in the 90's, that was something fans took on faith. Personally, I always preferred the Jedi Academy trilogy by Kevin J. Anderson, but such as it is.

None of them matter anymore.
Old 05-16-2020, 04:09 AM   #1888
Space Cop
The Dandy

Institutes of the Christian Religion vol. 1

by John Calvin
translated by Ford Lewis Battles
edited by John T. McNeill

Had to read big chunks of this for seminary, but with some more downtime, I decided to go back and read the whole thing for fun. It's an important work in my church's history.
It is dense, though, so I may read something more leisurely between the volumes or alternating.

Last edited by Space Cop; 05-16-2020 at 12:07 PM.
Old 06-07-2020, 01:19 AM   #1889
Parrylakks
Comte de la Fere

It's been a few years since I last read it, and it's a short easy read, so I figured I'd sit down with it again.
Old 06-07-2020, 03:02 AM   #1890
Space Cop
The Dandy

^That's the edition I have/read.

I'm back to Calvin (book 2, but still physical vol. 1), but took a break to read the book that was part of the Beatles' Abbey Road 50th Anniversary Edition.

Last edited by Space Cop; 06-07-2020 at 03:06 AM.