No announcement yet.

The (New) X-Men

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ten years ago I'd have loved an Iceman title. Now, with what's been done with the new younger version, I'm just not as interested. Has it come up yet about the sexuality of the adult Iceman? Or is that another plot they just shocked us with only to never go into again?

For the last few years I kinda thought Marvel was trying to make the X titles unreadable and unrecognizable compared to what they were in their hayday just to mess with Fox. Now I think somebody in the editors' office actually thinks some of this shit is good comics.

~M~

Comment

• What Is This New X-MEN Titles Line-Up Coming From RESURRXION? Marvel Explains

Comment

• ...Huh, that almost sounded like an endorsement of the mutants on behalf of Marvel.

Comment

• Uh... so, did anyone see that ending in Death of X #4 coming? Because I sure as shit didn't.

Comment

• Not reading it. I'll rejoin the status quo when the creative teams are announced for whatever is after this...or IvX...or Resurrection...or whatever is last.

What happened?

EDIT: Nevermind. Bullshit happened.
            W.West
            Last edited by W.West; 11-24-2016, 01:26 PM.

Comment

• What is the best current X-Title?

I'm really enjoying All New Wolverine and thinking about picking up a new one.

Comment

• Marvel is being real dumb right now

Comment

• Originally posted by W.West View Post
                  Not reading it. I'll rejoin the status quo when the creative teams are announced for whatever is after this...or IvX...or Resurrection...or whatever is last.

What happened?

Lol what happened?

Comment

• Originally posted by Hypo View Post
                    Lol what happened?

Basically, Cyclops died from the Inhuman disease thing and Emma Frost is making everyone think he's still alive and he's getting all the blame for her bullshit.

Comment

• Originally posted by W.West View Post
                      Not reading it. I'll rejoin the status quo when the creative teams are announced for whatever is after this...or IvX...or Resurrection...or whatever is last.

What happened?

Pretty much.

Originally posted by Booster Beetle View Post
                      Basically, Cyclops died from the Inhuman disease thing and Emma Frost is making everyone think he's still alive and he's getting all the blame for her bullshit.

Well, to be fair, Emma only kept Scott "alive" for a long enough time to trick everyone into think he'd died as a martyr for some greater cause against the Inhumans. But yeah, Emma effectively making Scott Summers the most hated mutant in the Marvel U is just bullshit.

Comment

• One down and one to go, basically. Getting the timeline back in order will now be a priority, and once that's done, smooth sailing.
                        Villain Draft 3: Fourth Place Winner

September 11, 2001; January 6, 2021; February 13, 2021

Comment

• So Kitty is the leader in X-Men Gold probably and I was gonna pick it up until I saw who's writing it

Guggenheim blech

Comment

• Marvel Comics recently teased the return of X-Men: Gold and X-Men: Blue, two team comic books using the colored code names from the ‘90s when the mutants were at peak popularity. We have your first look at a ton of new information on both books including the creative duos, the team lineups, the cover art, and the concept of each book.

X-Men: Gold and X-Men: Blue are launching in April 2017 as part of Marvel's wave of "ResurrXion" titles that spin out of the upcoming Inhumans vs. X-Men event. Both books will ship twice per month.
                            X-Men: Gold will be written by Marc Guggenheim with art by Ardian Syaf. The phase-shifting Kitty Pryde at long-last will become an X-Men team leader, whose squad includes Storm, Colossus, Nightcrawler, Old Man Logan, and Rachel Grey.

“Kitty is the right person to bring the X-Men into the future, to herald in the next era of the X-Men,” Guggenheim told us in a phone interview. “We are post the war with the Inhumans. The X-Men are sort of at a crossroads. They're at a point where they are trying to decide, is there a future for the X-Men? And Kitty is very much of the mindset that there is a future for the X-Men and it's a bright future. That there's more work that the X-Men still have to do. Not just for mutants, but really for humanity. What Kitty's leadership does from a storytelling perspective is that it really positions the book for its mission statement, which is we really want to tell stories that get back to the idea of just the X-Men as superheroes. Not all of the stories that we're doing are based on mutants or the problems of mutants or the conflict with the Inhumans. It's very much a team superhero book.”

Storm is the current leader of the main X-Men team in Extraordinary X-Men, and while this may seem like a demotion of sorts, it turns out that it’s actually her idea for Kitty to be the new leader. Inhumans vs. X-Men will have some big shake-ups that set up Gold and Blue, and that's where we'll be looking to find out Storm's reasoning for passing the baton to Kitty.

Guggenheim is best known as co-showrunner and writer on The CW's Arrow and Legends of Tomorrow and previously worked on the adjectiveless X-Men book in 2014 featuring an all-female cast of characters. Syaf worked for years as a DC-exclusive artist, launching The New 52 Batgirl series with writer Gail Simone, drawing an arc of Green Lantern Corps, and doing work on various other DC comics. He has dabbled in the X-Men once before when he drew X-Men: Manifest Destiny - Nightcrawler #1.

While details on the book’s story are minimal, we know that Kitty will be returning from her adventures with the Guardians of the Galaxy to help the X-Men rebound after their war with the Inhumans. The first big threat they will face will be a new Brotherhood of Evil Mutants with members that Guggenheim says ought to surprise readers.

“There's more going on here than just another new Brotherhood of Evil Mutants, the umpteenth iteration. … One of the things that I wanted to get back to and really sort of drill down is what does it mean to be a mutant in the 21st century, in a world where you've got Inhumans and you've had mutants for all this time and you've had M-Pox and Genosha and all the things that have happened to mutants throughout the years. Why does this racism still exist? In fact, the very first page sort of sets out my anti-mutant treatise. I really tried to put on my racism hat and justify hatred of mutants for the 21st century. And the brotherhood really plays into that,” Guggenheim said.

Rachel Grey will be getting a big superhero makeover with a new costume and new codename, Prestige.

“She was Marvel Girl, then she was Pheonix, she was often times less Rachel Grey and more Jean Grey. And I had this idea, wouldn't it be fun to take an X-Men and give them a new identity, kind of like the way Chris Claremont did with Carol Danvers and making her Binary many years ago? I thought that was kind of intriguing,” Guggenheim explained. “As I thought about that, I started thinking about that idea in connection with Rachel and the notion that if there was any character who needed to adopt a new identity, that was forward thinking, that wasn't about her legacy or her family, it was Rachel. And I think in many ways Rachel represents this mission statement that Kitty has given the X-Men, which is let's not look backwards, let's look forwards.”

While the X-Men’s Gold and Blue teams have their own books, both mutant groups will be operating out of the same headquarters and we’ll see members of both teams appears in both books.
                            X-Men: Blue will be written by Cullen Bunn with art by Jorge Molina. The roster will consist of the five original, time-displaced X-Men: leader Jean Grey, Cyclops, Iceman, Beast and Angel. The twist? With Professor X dead, their mentor will be the greatest enemy of their time, Magneto.

This comes as no surprise to those following Bunn’s work. He wrote a Magneto solo series and is currently writing Uncanny X-Men featuring a team led by the Master of Magnetism. Bunn made it clear that Magneto is not the star of X-Men: Blue like he was in those other books, but he has an important role to play none the less.

“He almost takes the role of a Professor Xavier for the original five here. That's really what I thought was interesting with putting him in the book is that Magneto is the oldest enemy of these X-Men. This was the first ‘evil mutant’ that they battled way back in X-Men #1. And now here he is taking on this mentor role with them,” Bunn said in a phone interview. “That immediately raises a lot of questions. Why would these X-Men be working with him? What is he trying to accomplish now? Do they feel that he's changed his ways? And that really is what I was excited about. It opened up a lot of really interesting questions for us. There's some mystery involved in terms of why the X-Men are working with him and what they're trying to accomplish. There's a little bit of intrigue there because knowing Magneto, you know he's got ulterior motives. He's Magneto. The original five X-Men aren't stupid. They know this. And maybe they have some ulterior motives of their own.”

It’s interesting to note that the X-Men of the present, along with us readers, have the benefit of watching Magneto evolve from straight-up evil terrorist to anti-hero to staunch ally of the X-Men (admittedly never without shades of gray), whereas the original X-Men only know him as the greatest opponent to Xavier’s dream of peaceful mutant/human coexistence.

Bunn currently has numerous monthly comics to his name and is known for writing villains and anti-heroes including Venom, Deadpool, Sinestro, and Lobo. There's also his indie hit The Sixth Gun published by Oni Press. Molina got his start doing design work for video games before getting published by the Big Two. He's done lots of work on Marvel's X-Men line, the all-female Avengers book A-Force, and most recently an arc on Star Wars with writer Jason Aaron.

The original X-Men were brought to the present by Beast in a last-ditch effort to get the present X-Men to change their self-destructive ways. During the Battle of the Atom event, it was revealed that, for reasons unknown, the team is unable to travel back to their original time, despite the untold amount of damage to the timeline they are probably causing. Bunn said that the threat of “time falling apart” will be back at the forefront in this book.

The team members will have different opinions on this matter, but Iceman most certainly does not want to go back. Last year the character came out as gay, and he was able to reconcile his sexaulity with his present self so they could finally live openly, so he doesn’t want to return to a time where he was forced to hide who he really is.

“For all this world's problems, it's a much more accepting culture for him,” Bunn said. “And he's kind of settled in. He's got a boyfriend now. He has a life here. Of all of them, he's probably embraced this world more than the others. He likes that he's at home here.”

This series will mark Jean Grey’s first time taking charge as a leader of the X-Men. Currently she is a member of Storm’s Extraordinary X-Men team, while the other original X-Men are on a roadtrip across the nation with Genesis, Oya, and Wolverine (Laura Kinney), but she’ll make the decision to re-assemble the team and step up as leader in the aftermath of Inhumans vs. X-Men.

“Jean is really the catalyst for bringing them all together. She gets this new team back together and Jean actually takes the leadership role. I kind of feel like readers of X-Men have always felt that Jean was supposed to be the leader of the team. And now Jean is definitely taking the leadership role in this group,” Bunn said.

We asked if the story would explore young Jean's relationship with the Phoenix Force, but Bunn declined to give comment. The teaser for the new Thanos series has the Phoenix symbol in his eyes, so perhaps that's where readers can look to see the fiery bird next. But come on, it's Jean Grey, a story with the Phoenix is inevitable.

As for the team’s first threat -- aside from having Magneto give them advice -- Bunn would only hint that they will first face off against what he considers one of “the best supervillain duos of all time.”

Comment

• Originally posted by Booster Beetle View Post
                              So Kitty is the leader in X-Men Gold probably and I was gonna pick it up until I saw who's writing it

Guggenheim blech
                              Yea, I'll be passing on both books, uninspired creative teams (love Bunn's indie stuff, hate his Big Two work) double shipping at $3.99? No thank you.

Comment

• This nonsense right here is why I have stocked up on older issues reprinted in trades of late. Going to enjoy classic, quality work while the current lineup spins it wheels and requires another trip to the think tank.
                                Villain Draft 3: Fourth Place Winner

September 11, 2001; January 6, 2021; February 13, 2021

Comment

Working...
                                X