Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Gamer Thread Vol. 5 (General Gaming News & Discussion)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm in a weird place with MK. I've always loved the game because of the story, the designs, and the goriness, but I've never been better than okay at it (like the first arcade game, which I could beat without continues eventually) and the last ones are so complicated (long combos, complex counters, etc) and fast that I don't even bother to play against actual people.

Comment

• I overplayed MK11. I got the platinum (which I would not have gone for if I had known how nightmarishly difficult some of the tutorials would be... yes, the tutorials, albeit the advanced tutorials, but still... so stupidly hard), and got pretty good with a few fighters, but I eventually just burned out on it hard. Like, I usually burn out on a game, move on to something else, then come back to it when new DLC comes out or something, but I haven't played MK11 in months, and have t even claimed the last couple of DLCs that I got from the Kombat Pass. Good game, but yeah.

Anyway, I had some money left over in my budget thanks to my books for the semester being unexpectedly cheap, so I finally decided to buy Devil May Cry 5. I'm a huge fan of the franchise, but I just hadn't been able to justify the purchase until now, thanks to the budget thing, and the fact that it's on sale for like $20. So yeah, I'm gonna start that up here soon.
      Do good. Be well. Make happy.

Comment

• Originally posted by Parrylakks View Post
        I overplayed MK11. I got the platinum (which I would not have gone for if I had known how nightmarishly difficult some of the tutorials would be... yes, the tutorials, albeit the advanced tutorials, but still... so stupidly hard)...
        Well, I'm glad to hear it's not just me. If I have too much trouble beating the ladders with some characters, I'll just go to the short ones to see the ending and do the fatalities.

Comment

• Originally posted by Space Cop View Post
          I'm in a weird place with MK. I've always loved the game because of the story, the designs, and the goriness, but I've never been better than okay at it (like the first arcade game, which I could beat without continues eventually) and the last ones are so complicated (long combos, complex counters, etc) and fast that I don't even bother to play against actual people.
          I'm pretty much in the same boat with that game, don't feel too bad! I swear some people must be on it all day. I've really only focused on playing as Kabal, but yeah I get my ass handed to me online often, but the last MK game I felt "ok" at was MK3 .
          http://cropsycrypt.blogspot.com/

Comment

• Yo.

https://www.businessinsider.com/alie...ign-ces-2020-1

I tried Alienware's portable Windows gaming PC concept that looks a lot like the Switch, and I was surprised at how different it felt from Nintendo's console
            1. At CES 2020, Dell showed off the Alienware Concept UFO, a portable gaming system that resembles the Nintendo Switch.
            2. While the Concept UFO has many of the Switch's hallmark features, like detachable controllers and the ability to be plugged into a bigger screen, it also differs from Nintendo's system in many ways.
            3. Dell's concept is a full-blown Windows PC packaged in a gaming tablet. It's also noticeably larger than the Nintendo Switch and has a few other important differences.
            4. The concept is another sign that the industry is moving away from the idea that mobile and at-home gaming must be two separate experiences.

Tazer

Originally posted by Andrew NDB
            Geoff Johns should have a 10 mile restraining order from comic books, let alone films.

Comment

• I'm about half way through Devil May Cry 5, and it's pretty good, thus far. Dante and Nero play more or less as they did in 4, but V (the new guy) is straight up broken. You can get SSS with him in combat without even trying. The story is interesting so far, but I'm kinda waiting for the other shoe to drop. It's fairly clear that Virgil has returned somehow, but it's taking its sweet time to make the reveal. Should be interesting for Nero once it comes, seeing as he's pretty obviously Virgil's son. Time will tell, I guess.

Comment

• You are making me want to get another copy of DMC3 and play it again (I don't think I have my old copy, I might have to check).
                Villain Draft 3: Fourth Place Winner

September 11, 2001; January 6, 2021; February 13, 2021

Comment

• There's an HD Collection of the first three games available on PS4 you can get. They also have remasters of 4 and Ninja Theory's DmC.

Comment

• Ugh, 4. I remember that on 360, I might even still have the official strategy guide lying around somewhere.

Comment

• I took time this morning and before dinner just now to read a summary of the latest State of the Game for Division 2.

There's a huge overhaul coming with Gear 2.0. Damage to Elites as an attribute is being removed from the game (I'm assuming the perk Hard Hitting talent will still exist), talents in general are being allowed only on two or three pieces of gear but will have their effectiveness boosted (on top of yet more perks being introduced), attributes will have bars showing how close to max roll they are, less loot will drop but the overall quality will hopefully be raised, exotic gear is being tweaked so that it fits better with the new system, players can no longer stack high damage and high armor because having both turned PvP into a shitty slugfest, and more changes I won't waste time naming.

I honestly don't know how to feel. A lot of this is helpful and sorely needed, but at the same time this is going to mean builds will be reduced in effectiveness if not outright broken. As I see this revision coming, I don't feel like I've gotten to spend enough time with some of my builds. I have had a lot of fun with my Hard Wired cluster seekers, I've been really getting into my Tip of the Spear pulse build, Ongoing Directive was a surprise hit for me, and there were a few others I wanted to play with.

I wasn't expecting that all the stones would be left unturned, but it sucks seeing a golden age for skill builds end. Yeah, maybe things were TOO good, because when you can have a team run the hardest content in the game (Dark Hours raid) in less than 9 minutes, instantly melting every boss, and killing any "elite" enemy is easier than killing a standard red enemy by a long shot, then the system does indeed need a revamp.

I'm going to spend some more quality time with my builds before they're changed, and I'm definitely going to clear out a ton of loot from my stash because I know it'll be turned into useless junk before I can do anything with it.

Comment

• I was watching Angry Joe's Top 16 Worst Games of 2019 video while eating dinner and oh god, when he covered Contra: Rogue Corps I nearly lost my shit. He has a clip in that segment where he shows his character equipping an item called "Muscly Eyes" to boost his abilities slightly.

He put on muscular eyeballs. I wish I was making this shit up, it's so bizarre that it sounds like it couldn't possibly be in a Contra game even with some of the crazy shit they've always had.

Naturally I rewound the section so that I could snap a picture on my phone and send it to my one boss, telling him he could have six-pack eyeballs to make up for not having six-pack abs.

Comment

• So apparently the multiplayer for Cyberpunk 2077 is delayed possibly until 2022. This is coming from one of the board members of CD Projekt Red. I mean, the game is supposed to come out this September, so that's a huge delay and I can't even imagine what they'll need to do to really placate the customers until then on top of any minor DLC/extra content such as bonus cosmetics and whatnot until then, assuming they don't get lucky with a breakthrough.

Only good news on their end is that the company is giving salary workers serious compensation for working crunch time, which you don't see in many companies anywhere because salary employees don't get extra pay, so they're trying to improve how they operate during that period so things aren't so hard on their teams.

Comment

• Originally posted by Space Cop View Post
                            Been playing Mortal Kombat 11 and I'm not sure I really like it. I'm pretty sure I've had more trouble with this than any previous MK and I'm pretty sure I've been yelling-angry more than I have been smiling-happy. . .
                            Originally posted by Agent Purple View Post
                            I still haven't played 10/XL myself. Come to think of it, I haven't even played Street Fighter IV yet, and I've had the collector's edition since day one (I do remember hearing how hard some of the training challenges are, so I'm dreading that).
                            Originally posted by Parrylakks View Post
                            I overplayed MK11. I got the platinum (which I would not have gone for if I had known how nightmarishly difficult some of the tutorials would be... yes, the tutorials, albeit the advanced tutorials, but still... so stupidly hard), and got pretty good with a few fighters, but I eventually just burned out on it hard. . .
                            Well, I beat the story mode then all the tutorials and ladders (arcade mode) for the standard characters. I never did beat that combo-cancel-combo tutorial and I'm waiting to get all the DLC characters.

So, I moved on to my other new game, Hitman Season 2, and I'm already much more in my element. I always play through these games for the story and the go back to get all the achievements, but even with that I got Silent Assassin and 13 objectives on my first playthrough of level 1. Now, my movie watching and book-reading time will probably suffer.

Comment

• I'm disappointed about Cyberpunk getting delayed but I am very excited to play some DOOM ETERNAL in a few months. Pre-ordered.

Speaking of Contra, anybody else playing Valfargis?
                              http://cropsycrypt.blogspot.com/

Comment

• Well, I decided to try my luck in Division 2's hardcore mode...and accidentally created a regular mode third agent before creating a hardcore fourth toon.

But I have used my lessons well and had little trouble with either new character, even beating the first mission's boss on hardcore with no significant effort (also helps that I'm getting blue drops when I'm not even level 5, for pity's sake!).

I am fairly sure that I can reach pretty far, if not to gear score 500, without fucking up and dying, although I'm going to have to seriously prepare for the strongholds (especially that nightmare shithole that is Roosevelt Island). I don't even want to think about messing around in hardcore once I get fully leveled, because that'll just be tempting fate. Once I'm nicely built I'm probably never touching that mode again.

Comment

Working...
                                X