The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > Green Lanternverse > Green Lantern on the Screen
FLASHCHAT

GL in Animation

Old 01-05-2014, 06:41 PM   #1
SomeDude
Corps Recruit

Default Batman vs Superman John Stewart thoughts

Well, it looks like WB has decided to go with John Stewart instead of Hal Jordan as Green Lantern in the "Batman vs. Superman" movie if the rumours involving Dwayne Johnson and Denzel Washington are to be believed.

Thoughts?
SomeDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 08:35 PM   #2
Space Cop
The Dandy

Angy GL is better than no GL, but if I had my druthers, it would be Hal.
Old 01-06-2014, 12:47 AM   #3
Ωmega Man
Guardian of the Universe

I don't think casting rumors are anything other than rumors and speculation at this point. Everyone thought the Collector was the one working for Thanos in the Guardians of the Galaxy movie.... And that's turned into Ronan the Accuser. The Rock could be up for the role of Martian Manhunter, Black Lightning, or Steel for all we know. Until its made official nothing is for sure. Everyone thought the little guy from Game of Thrones would be Puck in Days of Futures Past... Now he's apparently one of the main villains...

~KL~
Ωmega Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 12:57 AM   #4
SomeDude
Corps Recruit

Or maybe split the difference. Maybe this is an intentional leak by WB to test the waters for whether the public will support John Stewart over Hal Jordan. Based on the reactions, they would make a decision that hasn't yet been made?

FWIW, I read another rumour that this movie will only star Superman and Batman and Wonder Woman would have a small role in the movie. Given the fact that Amy Adams, Laurence Fishburne, etc are already cast, maybe this will be more Man of Steel 2 than Justice League?

Personally, I think it would be better to limit the scope of this movie and not let it morph into the Justice League movie as it could spiral out of control like Green Lantern did, with far too many things going on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kid Lantern View Post
I don't think casting rumors are anything other than rumors and speculation at this point. Everyone thought the Collector was the one working for Thanos in the Guardians of the Galaxy movie.... And that's turned into Ronan the Accuser. The Rock could be up for the role of Martian Manhunter, Black Lightning, or Steel for all we know. Until its made official nothing is for sure. Everyone thought the little guy from Game of Thrones would be Puck in Days of Futures Past... Now he's apparently one of the main villains...

~KL~
SomeDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 03:23 AM   #5
Trigger
Hal's Understudy

Wasn't Nightwing also confirmed before, or has that already changed?
Old 01-06-2014, 05:05 AM   #6
d3v1lb0y
Red Lantern Black Ops

Thread merge in 3..

via Motorola RAZR XT910

facebook: d3v1lb0y888 ...twitter: d3v1lb0y_8 ..instagram: d3v1lb0y
d3v1lb0y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 08:42 AM   #7
CeltiC5-27
Weaponer of Qward

This isn't a for sure thing, just rumors. I'm still praying WB decides to stick with Hal Jordan!

https://twitter.com/CeltiC527
CeltiC5-27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 04:56 PM   #8
Kane2814
Weaponer of Qward

With the announcement of the Rock being cast as Black Adam, we now know part of that rumor won't be happening.

Honestly, the best case in my mind that WB will go with Hal is that of all the many things that have been put out recently involving the JL (animated movies, LEGO movies, video games, the new theme park 3D ride, etc.) they have been using Hal as THE Green Lantern of the Justice League, whether he's featured heavily or not.

I gain a little more hope every time WB puts out another Justice League product where Hal is in their lineup.
Kane2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 05:00 PM   #9
Deadpool
Fight like a man: with your words, not your fists.

In a best case scenario, No Green lantern will be in Dawn of Justice. It's becoming overcrowded as it is.

But when it comes to Justice League, to be honest I think John will be interesting to see.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy Caesar View Post
If I had things like the internet and a laptop as a kid, I never would have left my room as a teenager.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaker View Post
I am the Geoff Johns of the GLCMB.
Deadpool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 08:07 PM   #10
CeltiC5-27
Weaponer of Qward

I'm positive no Green Lantern will show up in Batman v Superman but for the Justice League move I'm pretty sure they'll go with Hal Jordan. I think the Rock wanted to play John Stewart but WB probably told him they aren't going to use that character.

https://twitter.com/CeltiC527
CeltiC5-27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 04:46 PM   #11
Darth_Primus
Guardian of the Universe

Yeah, I think they'll go with Hal Jordan and Barry Allen for the Justice League roster. However, I doubt either of them will appear in Dawn of Justice either, other than perhaps a cameo or reference.

I definitely think Hal Jordan would be recast.
Old 09-08-2014, 06:10 PM   #12
W.West

Send a message via AIM to W.West Send a message via Yahoo to W.West Send a message via Skype™ to W.West

Rock has been tied to a Black Adam role far before GL flopped
Old 09-09-2014, 02:45 PM   #13
Kane2814
Weaponer of Qward

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.West View Post
Rock has been tied to a Black Adam role far before GL flopped
Is that a for real-sies "tied to" or just because fans have been saying it for so long. It becomes difficult to separate fan-talk from reality, especially when fans seem to end up influencing things like casting these days.

I never liked the Rock for John Stewart anyway. They've already way overplayed John's backstory as a marine, but I knew him as an architect so it's difficult for me to see him as the Rock. (although I can't deny giving John a military background gives writers more to go to than just his background as an architect) I think Chiwetel Ejiofor would be a great John, but that's me...
Kane2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 03:00 PM   #14
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kane2814 View Post
I never liked the Rock for John Stewart anyway. They've already way overplayed John's backstory as a marine, but I knew him as an architect so it's difficult for me to see him as the Rock. (although I can't deny giving John a military background gives writers more to go to than just his background as an architect) I think Chiwetel Ejiofor would be a great John, but that's me...
The most hardcore marines and soldiers almost never look like body builders anyway. They need agility, endurance, and muscle, so they usually have a more balanced physique. I just read Chris Kyle's autobiography and he talks about this aspect for Navy SEALS especially.
Old 09-09-2014, 03:29 PM   #15
Sylent_Asassin
Black Lantern

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kane2814 View Post
I always liked Michael Jai White as John Stewart, although he's getting a bit long in the tooth (up there in age). I didn't realize that he was 46.
Old 09-09-2014, 04:19 PM   #16
Mister Ed
Horse of a Different Color

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylent_Asassin View Post
I always liked Michael Jai White as John Stewart, although he's getting a bit long in the tooth (up there in age). I didn't realize that he was 46.
Though there is something to be said for the notion that, in Hollywood, if you didn't REALIZE he was 46, he may as well not be, for purposes of casting.

Unless you just hadn't seen him in a while and think he LOOKS too old now. I've found that it often (within a certain range, anyway) makes little difference what the actual age of Hollywood actors are.
Old 09-09-2014, 04:55 PM   #17
Space Cop
The Dandy

Yeah, witness Tom Cruise's career.
Old 09-09-2014, 05:27 PM   #18
Darth_Primus
Guardian of the Universe

Iron Man, Robert Downey Jr. is 49 years old and has been signed to be in Avengers 3 where he'll be over 50 when the movie is released. Hugh Jackman is 45 years old and Ben Affleck is 42 years old, and both of them will be playing Wolverine and Batman for a few more films. So, 46 isn't too bad.

I still would like to see a popular choice of Roger R. Cross (47) as John Stewart.

Old 09-09-2014, 05:31 PM   #19
Deadpool

I think an older John Stewart would work really well actually, maybe he's already left the marines or risen to a higher rank when he becomes Green Lantern, unless he's been Green Lantern for a while. Obviously though I hope we see him in a Justice League film, not BvS.
Quote:
If I had things like the internet and a laptop as a kid, I never would have left my room as a teenager.
Quote:
Old 09-09-2014, 05:34 PM   #20
Ωmega Man
Guardian of the Universe

Until they officially announce a Flash, GL, or Green Arrow for the Justice League films I still think there's a chance they could merge the two universes between tv and film. They've said they're going to keep them separate but that could just mean 'they're gonna keep them separate... for now.' because they're still working out some finer points. The introduction of Hal Jordan for example could be used to bridge the gap since as far as powers go he'd need a little more budget to pull off. After BvS Hal could be cast for JL, then imagine the same actor cameo'ing in either the Flash, Arrow or both within a year of the GL cast announcement [without it being leaked beforehand] and blowing fans minds when they realize they're going to bridge the universes after all. Jensen Ackles could play a nice Hal and Supernatural is about to end. He's been in films and tv series alike. Somebody like him could bridge the gap, no doubt in my mind.

It's the shared universes that has Marvel stomping DC's ass in films and cartoon shows. Ultimate Spiderman, Avengers Assemble, and the upcoming GotG are all linked, and I don't need to go into detail about the Fox, Sony, Disney rights. DC would be stupid to not try and copy that shared universe model...

~KL~
Ωmega Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 05:36 PM   #21
Deadpool

No, Jensen Ackles must be Batman!!!!
Quote:
Quote:
Old 09-09-2014, 09:21 PM   #22
SocializingMogo
Corps Honor Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Primus View Post
Iron Man, Robert Downey Jr. is 49 years old and has been signed to be in Avengers 3 where he'll be over 50 when the movie is released. Hugh Jackman is 45 years old and Ben Affleck is 42 years old, and both of them will be playing Wolverine and Batman for a few more films. So, 46 isn't too bad.

I still would like to see a popular choice of Roger R. Cross (47) as John Stewart.

To me Tony Stark has always been an older guy at least in his end-40s. Especially during the late 70s/early 80s he looked really old.
SocializingMogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 09:39 PM   #23
Space Cop
The Dandy

Since I don't watch the shows and don't plan to, but I do watch the movies, I'd rather they not link the worlds.
Old 09-09-2014, 09:45 PM   #24
Mister Ed
Horse of a Different Color

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Cop View Post
Since I don't watch the shows and don't plan to, but I do watch the movies, I'd rather they not link the worlds.
If the only link is essentially that they use the same actors, I don't really care (unless the actors suck). What I mean is, even if I'm not watching the shows, I don't care if they "link" them to the movies so long as there is no sense in which I'd "need" to watch the shows to understand what's going on in the movies. I feel like that's how Agents of SHIELD is handled. They are clearly in the same universe, use some of the same actors, and yet there is no point at which you will be watching one of the movies and feel like you missed something by not watching the show.
Old 09-09-2014, 09:54 PM   #25
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

I can't see the DC movies and tv shows sharing the same universe. The tv shows look far too cheap. It already feels like a different thing. The movies already have enough of an uphill climb without cheap looking tv shows bringing them down.