The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > Green Lanternverse > Sector 0
FLASHCHAT

Sector 0

Old 04-12-2017, 01:34 PM   #51
Space Cop
The Dandy

Yeah, it does seem close to Kyle's WL ring. I was thinking the same thing.

At first (during Brightest Day) the WLs did their own thing (healed people and made permanent constructs). Then, Kyle found out he could use the whole spectrum with it (after training). Now, the Phantom Ring seems to do that for anyone (no training), but randomly (even uncontrollably?).
Old 04-17-2017, 11:12 PM   #52
Locomoco808
Kilowog's Recruit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Cop View Post
Yeah, it does seem close to Kyle's WL ring. I was thinking the same thing.

At first (during Brightest Day) the WLs did their own thing (healed people and made permanent constructs). Then, Kyle found out he could use the whole spectrum with it (after training). Now, the Phantom Ring seems to do that for anyone (no training), but randomly (even uncontrollably?).

It's the lack of consistency that's bothering me. Like DC doesn't care if the fans notice all the plot holes or they assume new fans will always replace the disillusioned ones who walk away from the brand.

Green Lantern Lost Army. Near the end John Stewart sees "Renegade" Hal Jordan sealing away the old universe Source Wall with Krona's Gauntlet. Nobody cares or addresses that?? Especially since Hal no longer sports that look so how will that be retconned?

Kyle Rayner in Omega Men. He's in trouble has the WL ring taken away. Where are the other six newly minted White Lanterns to the rescue? Where is GF Carol Ferris? Doesn't care? Not aware? Told to stay away? We dunno.

Sinestro Comics. They pal up Saint Walker with Arkillo. What happens that leads to him being trapped on that volcano planet fighting the "Despair elemental"? Are there other emotional elementals now? Is there an elemental for smugness??

Kyle's WL ring is no more. Again, other 6 WL to the rescue? Who's gonna corral the other 6 rings and have them combine Voltron-style to recreate the white ring?

How hard is it to keep the continuity barely consistent so they can somewhat mollify fans?

Oh, about the Phantom Ring my hypothesis:

The only people who would be really good at using/manipulating the PR is Kyle Rayner and Sinestro. This is because they have a better understanding/insight in manipulating other rings/emotions to the degree they can be effective, with other lantern rings. Not just use them, but excel with them. Well, I guess I can add Guy Gardner to that too as he can excel with either Will or Rage.

There was this Nintendo Wii game that came with this fitness attachment. It was all about balance. You moved in any one direction and it would tend to slide or slip into that space so you had to really be cautious the degree to which you would lean. All to manipulate a marble through a maze. I think the Phantom ring generally works to that degree.

Can you dip 90% of yourself into rage but keep that 10% in reserve so you can pull yourself out and shift into another spectrum? So it's not so much (just) having experience with other rings but to really having a profound understanding/expert training in order to be able to do that effectively.

Which pretty much explains this really bad introduction of the guardian Rami into the GL universe. The guy is fucking psycho to create something like the phantom ring. Maybe he's retarded mad-professed wise because his definition of "innovations" seems synonymous with "features that will result in immediate disaster".

It is interesting that the Phantom ring does not appear to be destructible in the same way we've seen the there rings get wrecked. I bet it has something to do with access to all the emotional spectrums. I bet it takes all the rings from each spectrum to destroy it or something.
Locomoco808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 12:50 AM   #53
Ωmega Man
Guardian of the Universe

I'd also mention Guy has a solid grasp on the yellow rings as well having used Sinestro's original for quite some time...

~//V\\~
Ωmega Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 02:34 PM   #54
sundrop
Fatality's Blacksmith

Question: Why do people refer to all series numbers as starting at series #1 in 1960s, when there was a series before that in 1940s? Why isn't the 1940s series considered series #1?
sundrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 02:48 PM   #55
Hypo
Lil' Leaguer

I'm sure Dave will correct me if I'm wrong since he was around in the '40s for issue #1 but I've always seen the 1940s series referred to as Volume 1 and the 1960s series referred to as Volume 2.
Old 04-21-2020, 03:25 PM   #56
Space Cop
The Dandy

^I've seen both, but the Golden Age run is properly volume 1 and Overstreet counts it as such.
When I have seen the silver age called "vol. 1," it's always been at a comic shop, which rarely have Golden Age books.
Old 04-22-2020, 03:27 AM   #57
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

I just read that and almost coughed on my metamucil. Don't take any wooden nickels kid!

And yes, the golden age GL series is volume 1. The silver age title that made it to issue #224 is volume 2. Hal and Kyle's series is volume 3.
Old 04-22-2020, 04:21 AM   #58
Big Blue Lantern
Corps Honor Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy Dave Skywalker View Post
I just read that and almost coughed on my metamucil. Don't take any wooden nickels kid!

And yes, the golden age GL series is volume 1. The silver age title that made it to issue #224 is volume 2. Hal and Kyle's series is volume 3.
Let there be no doubt of this. With the myriad of reboots, concurrent titles, and minis, GL's continuity is already difficult enough to track without us confusing ourselves further.
Old 04-22-2020, 02:58 PM   #59
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

Even better is the Flash. Most people think the silver age Flash beginning with #105 means that Flash Comics 1-104 was volume 1, which it was NOT. Flash Conics was only an anthology comic like Action, Sensation, All-American or More Fun Comics. The actual solo Jay Garrick series was All-Flash which ran from #1-32. So the silver age Flash series SHOULD have picked up at #33, not #105.
Old 04-22-2020, 03:04 PM   #60
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

If the comic industry wasn't imploding, I think we would eventually see DC try to remember GL to get a higher number like they have with Flash and Wonder Woman. The question is, which title do you count as volume 6? Green LanternS, or Hal Jordan and the GLC? I am tempted to say Green Lanterns, because the name was pretty close. Volume 2 went by GL, GL/GA and GLC and we still count 1-224 as one GL volume. But we cant use both GLs and HJaTGLC because they ran at the same time.
Old 04-22-2020, 03:07 PM   #61
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

And do we count The Green Lantern season 1 and 2 as volumes 7 and 8? Or skip them and count them as glorified mini series?
Old 04-22-2020, 03:19 PM   #62
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

I added up all the issues. If you could the Baz/Cruz title, the 0s, 1,000,000 type of issues, and both Morrison series...if Morrison DOES make it to #12 with season 2 that will be the 650th issue of Green Lantern as a regular publication. Odd coincidence.
Old 04-23-2020, 05:50 PM   #63
sundrop
Fatality's Blacksmith

I count them as Volume 1 from 1940s, Volume 2 from 1960s, and so on, whenever there is a reboot of the main title, that's a new volume to me!

However, look at this link: https://www.mycomicshop.com/search?q=green+lantern

I've had sooooooo many confusing conversations with people, I don't think I've ever met a single person in real life who agrees with my ordering, and all comic bins I've seen have them listed with 1960s as Volume 1 and so on.

Glad to know people here hold the same standard as me.
sundrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 05:56 PM   #64
Space Cop
The Dandy

^Well, when I got into collecting I was always told that Overstreet is the official guide, so I always go by them. They definitely see the Silver Age as volume 2 and so does Comic Vine.
Old 04-23-2020, 08:24 PM   #65
Star-Lantern
Green Lantern

Quote:
Originally Posted by sundrop View Post
I count them as Volume 1 from 1940s, Volume 2 from 1960s, and so on, whenever there is a reboot of the main title, that's a new volume to me!

However, look at this link: https://www.mycomicshop.com/search?q=green+lantern

I've had sooooooo many confusing conversations with people, I don't think I've ever met a single person in real life who agrees with my ordering, and all comic bins I've seen have them listed with 1960s as Volume 1 and so on.

Glad to know people here hold the same standard as me.
You should ask these people if the Silver Age series is volume 1, what does that make the Golden Age series?
Star-Lantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 09:25 PM   #66
Mister Ed
Horse of a Different Color

If I had to guess, I would say their answer would be that it was distinct enough that it isn't counted in the numbering for the GL series that deal with the GLC. That it would be Golden Age GL vol.1 or somesuch.

If that's their logic I can sort of understand it, given how different they are, and how disconnected story-wise (at least until later crossovers), but I don't happen to agree with it. The two characters are similar enough, even beyond the name, that they are clearly related. (If Al Pratt had his own Golden Age Comic, I might be more inclined to count it separately from Ray Palmer's, given that the name seems like the ONLY thing they share.)
Old 04-24-2020, 03:32 AM   #67
Space Cop
The Dandy

Plus I think even shops with a good deal of vol. 2 probably don’t have more than a couple Golden Age GLs. They’d likely be wall books or graded comics. So they wouldn’t have to worry about them being in the bins next to the others. I’ve never even been in a shop that has such an extensive Golden Age collection that they bin them.

That said, Midtown Comics apparently labels the silver age as vol. 2.

In my experience, one of my local stores mislabels it vol. 1, but I’ve only seen that a couple of times that I recall (at non-local stores or cons). The vast majority that I’ve come across (if they label them at all) get it right.

Last edited by Space Cop; 04-24-2020 at 03:35 AM.
Space Cop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 02:12 PM   #68
Mister Ed

As far as shops go, I can see the attraction of labeling it vol.1 if you don't actually have any Golden Age stuff on offer. Saves having people who see "vol. 2" asking about vol. 1 when you aren't going to be able to help them with that (especially since, I'd wager, most people buying back issues of GL aren't even looking for stuff from the Golden Age).
Old 04-24-2020, 03:10 PM   #69
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

If I owned a Comic shop I would have a GL volume 1 divider right behind the GL volume 2 one, just to troll the customers because there is never anything in it.

BTW, I wonder what collector out there HAS all 38 issues of GL volume 1. There must be somebody, at least ONE guy who has a complete set and finished it by the 80s.
Old 04-27-2020, 03:47 AM   #70
Big Blue Lantern
Corps Honor Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy Dave Skywalker View Post
I added up all the issues. If you could the Baz/Cruz title, the 0s, 1,000,000 type of issues, and both Morrison series...if Morrison DOES make it to #12 with season 2 that will be the 650th issue of Green Lantern as a regular publication. Odd coincidence.
I added up all the titles 2 months ago to see if there would be any way that DC could claim a GL #1000 in the near future. It was much closer than I originally suspected. I excluded books like Larfleeze, Sinestro, and Red Lanterns, but I included everything else like Guy's Warrior series, the crossovers with Aliens/Star Trek/PotA, New Guardians, and Green Lanterns. The count was 980, so if DC wanted to stretch the logic like Marvel did with Venom #150, they could publish a #1000 at some point in 2021.
Old 04-27-2020, 04:03 AM   #71
Space Cop
The Dandy

^I can’t imagine they’d count Guy’s non-lantern title and crossovers. I don’t even tally Warrior in my GL collection (though admittedly I don’t have much of it).
Old 04-27-2020, 04:18 AM   #72
Big Blue Lantern
Corps Honor Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Cop View Post
^I can’t imagine they’d count Guy’s non-lantern title and crossovers. I don’t even tally Warrior in my GL collection (though admittedly I don’t have much of it).
I'm just saying that they could do so if they really wanted to put out another of those 1000s for a sales bump. We know that comic companies will use and any all gimmicks, and I cited Marvel as perhaps the most glaring example as they employed the most bizarre logic to come up with a milestone number for Venom. It was spurred on by the renewed interest surrounding the movie. Would DC do something like this to capitalize on interest for the HBO Max series? It's not impossible.
Old 07-21-2020, 06:01 PM   #73
Space Cop
The Dandy

Reading GL #22 from series 2. The backup is one of those annoying stories where Sue thinks Jim Jordan (her boyfriend and later husband) is Green Lantern. Does anyone remember if there's actually an issue where she finds out it's Hal?
Old 07-21-2020, 07:24 PM   #74
Mister Ed

As of Issue #36 of Vol. 3 she didn't know. I think she DID know after Sinestro Corps War. I don't know if she found out during that storyline, or else already knew. I'd have to pull out the books and look.

You'd THINK she might have figured it out after he sacrificed himself during Final Night, but I don't recall her or her husband figuring into that story at all. I'm not even sure if that segment of Hal's family was originally supposed to have died in Coast City. Might have been addressed in the Spectre run.

Last edited by Mister Ed; 07-21-2020 at 09:12 PM.
Mister Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 10:56 PM   #75
Space Cop
The Dandy

^Yeah, that's my feeling. It was essentially a Silver-Age subplot that got put on the back burner than was probably silently retconned by Johns. My thinking is when John started having Hal just appear to his family they all knew without explanation. Comicvine does list all her appearances. She only has 9 in series 2. I was thinking of pulling the last couple and seeing whether they mention her still thinking it was Jim.