The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > Green Lanternverse > Green Lantern Vol. 4
FLASHCHAT

GL Volume 4
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2008, 08:36 AM   #1
Darth_Andrea
Owned by Natu
 
Darth_Andrea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Tied Upside Down In A Rubber Room
Posts: 4,741
Send a message via MSN to Darth_Andrea
Default The Original Prophecy

Here are all 12 pages of the original story the Prophecy came from in it's pre-Geoff-Conned form from Tales Of The Green Lantern Corps.

Enjoy
Page 1


Page 2


Page 3


Page 4


Page 5


Page 6


Page 7


Page 8


Page 9


Page 10


Page 11


Page 12



Darth_Andrea
__________________

Last edited by Darth_Andrea; 11-11-2009 at 12:48 PM.
Darth_Andrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 10:17 AM   #2
Orion Pax
Iolande's Bodyguard
 
Orion Pax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Portugal
Posts: 7,467
Default

Itīs kind of a freaky art.
__________________
Orion Pax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 10:58 AM   #3
Michael Heide
Heide Finition
 
Michael Heide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Cologne, Germany
Posts: 11,814
Default

Interesting tidbit: The same creative team (writer and artist) later went on to create the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen.
Michael Heide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 06:50 PM   #4
Donsmith1974
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

It reminded me of those Renaissance paintings of demons fighting angels and the like. The images are freaking grotesque!
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 07:18 PM   #5
Limelantern
Better than both the Salami and the Bologna combined
 
Limelantern's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Hazard County, YeeeeeHaaaaaaaWWWWWW!!!!!!
Posts: 4,081
Send a message via Skype™ to Limelantern
Default

Well, Quill did say that he has lied some to Abin. So the prophecy cannot be taken word for word. Also, Ranx failed at killing Mogo, the Weaponers are not in any shape at killing anyone right now, and Quill said it will happen after untold millenia. But then again he did know about Hal so Quill can see the future and can interperit it fairly well.

What interests me now is the first couple pages mentioned the demons of the empire were not dead but disembodied and physically powerless. And their essences haunt the world now. Plus their necromatic powers were mentioned. So this could bring up another enemy that could have trapped the Antimoniter other than Nekron. It could either be the bodyless demons of the Empire of tears or something that still haunts the planet brought on by their necromatic practices. In issue 25 the voices did instantly identify the Antimoniter just as they did Abin sur here.
__________________
Limelantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 07:59 PM   #6
Lishego
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Wow, I love when an old story line comes back into play, Thanks for the Pages DA. now I'll have to see if I can find that issue to add to my colletion!
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 08:03 PM   #7
Limelantern
Better than both the Salami and the Bologna combined
 
Limelantern's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Hazard County, YeeeeeHaaaaaaaWWWWWW!!!!!!
Posts: 4,081
Send a message via Skype™ to Limelantern
Default

I bet no one at DC ever thought this story would ever rise up out of obscurity ever again.
__________________
Limelantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 12:01 AM   #8
-Ysmault-
Guy's Drinking Buddy
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 228
Default

Thanks DA! very useful, I tried to find this comic, but failed at it.
-Ysmault- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 04:52 AM   #9
Gauntlet101010
Alpha-Lantern
 
Gauntlet101010's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 2,233
Default

You know, in an interview Jhons said that the prisoners of Yasmault were not omniecent. Not all knowing. And that, like all prophecies, it could amount to something ... or nothing. I think the idea was, not that Quill was lying, but that he got it wrong, ultimately. At least that part, since (now) there's more prophecies.

That said, yeah it was interesting to read that the prisoners of Yasmault were real demononic spirits. That's a retcon right there because now they are definately flesh and blood.

And the tie-in was very, very sweet indeed.
Gauntlet101010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 05:27 AM   #10
Jack-O-Lantern
Master Customizer
 
Jack-O-Lantern's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: FL
Posts: 2,874
Default

Very cool. I hadn't read that befroe. Thanks Andrea!
Jack-O-Lantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 08:08 AM   #11
Darth_Andrea
Owned by Natu
 
Darth_Andrea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Tied Upside Down In A Rubber Room
Posts: 4,741
Send a message via MSN to Darth_Andrea
Default

Not a problem guys, given the importiance of these pages I figured we needed them posted for reference.



Darth_Andrea
__________________
Darth_Andrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 07:59 PM   #12
-Ysmault-
Guy's Drinking Buddy
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 228
Default

Quote:
That said, yeah it was interesting to read that the prisoners of Yasmault were real demononic spirits. That's a retcon right there because now they are definately flesh and blood.
No, they aren't.
1- The only thing said it's they were massacred in sector 666. When they are in mortal form, they can be killed, and they occupy a sector. That's all.
2- In the prophecy (the "new") it's said that: -the Empire of Tears, finally released from "entombment"(...)-
You cannot "entomb" a flesh & bone being, and even less expect that they will be released!.

P.S. Sticky this thread!
-Ysmault- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 09:51 PM   #13
Tazer
That Evil, Yellow Bastiche
 
Tazer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: @play
Posts: 24,813
Default

Yo.

I agree; this thread should be stickied.

due to D_A's posting of the original story, now atleast we dont have to recount it each time for every other person that asks about it........simply point them here.

btw- nice job there D_A.







Tazer
__________________


Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Geoff Johns should have a 10 mile restraining order from comic books, let alone films.

Last edited by Tazer; 08-20-2008 at 01:02 AM.
Tazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 10:58 PM   #14
GLC2814.4
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

I second that. (the sticky part)

And I think you "can" entomb a flesh and blood being? Why can't you? Why can't I stick someone in a box, lay them in a mausoleum, and entomb them there. Then maybe I'll change my mind a few weeks later and dig them out and apologize. I'm sure it happens all the time
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 12:22 AM   #15
-Ysmault-
Guy's Drinking Buddy
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 228
Default

It would die because the lack of food, oxygen, etc. And these were not weeks, these were milennia.
-Ysmault- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 01:53 AM   #16
Limelantern
Better than both the Salami and the Bologna combined
 
Limelantern's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Hazard County, YeeeeeHaaaaaaaWWWWWW!!!!!!
Posts: 4,081
Send a message via Skype™ to Limelantern
Default

On page 2 it says they were deathless and too sophisticated for mortal form, that could be taken as they were functionally immortal or already bodyless. Either way, I now think it's their spiritual presence that is the real cause of the Antimoniter's trapping in the Black Battery.

They could have come together to form something like Legion, only more demonic.
__________________
Limelantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 02:21 AM   #17
Gauntlet101010
Alpha-Lantern
 
Gauntlet101010's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 2,233
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Ysmault- View Post
No, they aren't.
1- The only thing said it's they were massacred in sector 666. When they are in mortal form, they can be killed, and they occupy a sector. That's all.
2- In the prophecy (the "new") it's said that: -the Empire of Tears, finally released from "entombment"(...)-
You cannot "entomb" a flesh & bone being, and even less expect that they will be released!.

P.S. Sticky this thread!
Entombment can be poetic licence. Technically you can entomb a living person ... buried alive anyone? But I'm leaning towards poetic licence.

Quill is viciously killed by Atrocious. You can see his blood spill and Atrocious says he'll use his innards to release the power of the red. Spirits don't have innards; flesh and blood creatures have innards.

Secret Origins says the Inversions (Quill and Atrocious included) were the survivors of sector 666 - as in still alive.

Of course you might be right ... they could be demons with a physical form like Etrigan. But even that conflicts with the "disembodied" idea as presented in Tygers.
Gauntlet101010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 04:09 AM   #18
Lord Malvolio
Corps Honor Guard
 
Lord Malvolio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 1,214
Send a message via Yahoo to Lord Malvolio
Default

Man how wild would this story make as an animated feature? With that quirky, creepy artwork? This story is so powerful it still holds up to today's standards! Coloring is a little weak (as it usually was back in the day), but otherwise, is a fantastic story I am glad Geoff built on.
__________________
Visit the Mall of Oa for all your Green Lantern needs!

Lord Malvolio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 09:23 AM   #19
t67443
Green Lantern
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Indy
Posts: 603
Default

I like how between Johns and Morrison they bring back a lot of the obscure comic history. Between the Batman RIP story line and the dozens of Green Lantern stuff, it really makes these comics more interesting.
t67443 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 11:46 AM   #20
Darth_Andrea
Owned by Natu
 
Darth_Andrea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Tied Upside Down In A Rubber Room
Posts: 4,741
Send a message via MSN to Darth_Andrea
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tazer View Post
Yo.

I agree; this thread should be stickied.

due to D_A's posting of the original story, now atleast we dont have to recount it each time for every other person that asks about it........simply point them here.

btw- nice job there D_A.







Tazer

You mean I did something right for once Yay Me !!




Darth_Andrea
__________________
Darth_Andrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 12:03 PM   #21
Tazer
That Evil, Yellow Bastiche
 
Tazer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: @play
Posts: 24,813
Default

Yo.

lulz




Tazer
__________________


Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Geoff Johns should have a 10 mile restraining order from comic books, let alone films.
Tazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 12:05 PM   #22
Tazer
That Evil, Yellow Bastiche
 
Tazer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: @play
Posts: 24,813
Default

Yo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Malvolio View Post
Man how wild would this story make as an animated feature? With that quirky, creepy artwork? This story is so powerful it still holds up to today's standards! Coloring is a little weak (as it usually was back in the day), but otherwise, is a fantastic story I am glad Geoff built on.
U mean RE-built on, dontcha??




Tazer
__________________


Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Geoff Johns should have a 10 mile restraining order from comic books, let alone films.
Tazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 12:38 PM   #23
Orion Pax
Iolande's Bodyguard
 
Orion Pax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Portugal
Posts: 7,467
Default

Qull didnīt told Abin sur about the rise of the other Corps. He was probably covering for Atrocitus. If he did see into the future like he claimed to do, he would know about the War of Light.

Besides "the corps shall be destroyed down to the last life form"? In the 31 century thereīs still two Green Lanterns alive.
__________________

Last edited by Orion Pax; 08-20-2008 at 12:40 PM.
Orion Pax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 01:01 PM   #24
Darth_Andrea
Owned by Natu
 
Darth_Andrea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Tied Upside Down In A Rubber Room
Posts: 4,741
Send a message via MSN to Darth_Andrea
Default

Well Pax the 7 other corps wasn't a part of the original story as seen above. They were added by Geoff, Blackest Night as we will see it is a modified prophecy from those original pages. Changed by Geoff to suit the story he wants to tell. But as this was the basis for BN as we will see it I thought it importiant to post it so we see the roots of what Geoff is going to give us.



Darth_Andrea
__________________
Darth_Andrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 04:49 PM   #25
Keyser Soze
Alpha-Lantern
 
Keyser Soze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 2,363
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limelantern View Post
Well, Quill did say that he has lied some to Abin. So the prophecy cannot be taken word for word. Also, Ranx failed at killing Mogo, the Weaponers are not in any shape at killing anyone right now, and Quill said it will happen after untold millenia. But then again he did know about Hal so Quill can see the future and can interperit it fairly well.

What interests me now is the first couple pages mentioned the demons of the empire were not dead but disembodied and physically powerless. And their essences haunt the world now. Plus their necromatic powers were mentioned. So this could bring up another enemy that could have trapped the Antimoniter other than Nekron. It could either be the bodyless demons of the Empire of tears or something that still haunts the planet brought on by their necromatic practices. In issue 25 the voices did instantly identify the Antimoniter just as they did Abin sur here.
But aren't the demons of Ysmault - Atrocitus in particular - the masterminds behind the Red Lanterns? Which would mean the Black Lanterns would be led by a seperate entity?
Keyser Soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 04:04 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.