The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > Green Lanternverse > Green Lantern Vol. 4
FLASHCHAT

GL Volume 4

Old 08-18-2008, 08:36 AM   #1
Darth_Andrea
Owned by Natu

Send a message via MSN to Darth_Andrea
Default The Original Prophecy

Here are all 12 pages of the original story the Prophecy came from in it's pre-Geoff-Conned form from Tales Of The Green Lantern Corps.

Enjoy
Page 1

Page 2

Page 3

Page 4

Page 5

Page 6

Page 7

Page 8

Page 9

Page 10

Page 11

Page 12

Darth_Andrea

Last edited by Darth_Andrea; 11-11-2009 at 12:48 PM.
Darth_Andrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 10:17 AM   #2
Orion Pax
Iolande's Bodyguard

Itīs kind of a freaky art.
Old 08-18-2008, 10:58 AM   #3
Michael Heide
Heide Finition

Interesting tidbit: The same creative team (writer and artist) later went on to create the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen.
Michael Heide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 06:50 PM   #4
Donsmith1974

It reminded me of those Renaissance paintings of demons fighting angels and the like. The images are freaking grotesque!
Old 08-18-2008, 07:18 PM   #5
Limelantern
Better than both the Salami and the Bologna combined

Send a message via Skype™ to Limelantern

Well, Quill did say that he has lied some to Abin. So the prophecy cannot be taken word for word. Also, Ranx failed at killing Mogo, the Weaponers are not in any shape at killing anyone right now, and Quill said it will happen after untold millenia. But then again he did know about Hal so Quill can see the future and can interperit it fairly well.

What interests me now is the first couple pages mentioned the demons of the empire were not dead but disembodied and physically powerless. And their essences haunt the world now. Plus their necromatic powers were mentioned. So this could bring up another enemy that could have trapped the Antimoniter other than Nekron. It could either be the bodyless demons of the Empire of tears or something that still haunts the planet brought on by their necromatic practices. In issue 25 the voices did instantly identify the Antimoniter just as they did Abin sur here.
Old 08-18-2008, 07:59 PM   #6
Lishego

Wow, I love when an old story line comes back into play, Thanks for the Pages DA. now I'll have to see if I can find that issue to add to my colletion!
Old 08-18-2008, 08:03 PM   #7
Limelantern

I bet no one at DC ever thought this story would ever rise up out of obscurity ever again.
Old 08-19-2008, 12:01 AM   #8
-Ysmault-
Guy's Drinking Buddy

Thanks DA! very useful, I tried to find this comic, but failed at it.
-Ysmault- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 04:52 AM   #9
Gauntlet101010
Alpha-Lantern

You know, in an interview Jhons said that the prisoners of Yasmault were not omniecent. Not all knowing. And that, like all prophecies, it could amount to something ... or nothing. I think the idea was, not that Quill was lying, but that he got it wrong, ultimately. At least that part, since (now) there's more prophecies.

That said, yeah it was interesting to read that the prisoners of Yasmault were real demononic spirits. That's a retcon right there because now they are definately flesh and blood.

And the tie-in was very, very sweet indeed.
Gauntlet101010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 05:27 AM   #10
Jack-O-Lantern
Master Customizer

Very cool. I hadn't read that befroe. Thanks Andrea!
Jack-O-Lantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 08:08 AM   #11
Darth_Andrea
Owned by Natu

Not a problem guys, given the importiance of these pages I figured we needed them posted for reference.

Darth_Andrea
Old 08-19-2008, 07:59 PM   #12
-Ysmault-
Guy's Drinking Buddy

Quote:
That said, yeah it was interesting to read that the prisoners of Yasmault were real demononic spirits. That's a retcon right there because now they are definately flesh and blood.
No, they aren't.
1- The only thing said it's they were massacred in sector 666. When they are in mortal form, they can be killed, and they occupy a sector. That's all.
2- In the prophecy (the "new") it's said that: -the Empire of Tears, finally released from "entombment"(...)-
You cannot "entomb" a flesh & bone being, and even less expect that they will be released!.

P.S. Sticky this thread!
Old 08-19-2008, 09:51 PM   #13
Tazer
That Evil, Yellow Bastiche

Yo.

I agree; this thread should be stickied.

due to D_A's posting of the original story, now atleast we dont have to recount it each time for every other person that asks about it........simply point them here.

btw- nice job there D_A.

Tazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Geoff Johns should have a 10 mile restraining order from comic books, let alone films.

Last edited by Tazer; 08-20-2008 at 01:02 AM.
Tazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 10:58 PM   #14
GLC2814.4

I second that. (the sticky part)

And I think you "can" entomb a flesh and blood being? Why can't you? Why can't I stick someone in a box, lay them in a mausoleum, and entomb them there. Then maybe I'll change my mind a few weeks later and dig them out and apologize. I'm sure it happens all the time
Old 08-20-2008, 12:22 AM   #15
-Ysmault-
Guy's Drinking Buddy

It would die because the lack of food, oxygen, etc. And these were not weeks, these were milennia.
Old 08-20-2008, 01:53 AM   #16
Limelantern

On page 2 it says they were deathless and too sophisticated for mortal form, that could be taken as they were functionally immortal or already bodyless. Either way, I now think it's their spiritual presence that is the real cause of the Antimoniter's trapping in the Black Battery.

They could have come together to form something like Legion, only more demonic.
Old 08-20-2008, 02:21 AM   #17
Gauntlet101010
Alpha-Lantern

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Ysmault- View Post
No, they aren't.
1- The only thing said it's they were massacred in sector 666. When they are in mortal form, they can be killed, and they occupy a sector. That's all.
2- In the prophecy (the "new") it's said that: -the Empire of Tears, finally released from "entombment"(...)-
You cannot "entomb" a flesh & bone being, and even less expect that they will be released!.

P.S. Sticky this thread!
Entombment can be poetic licence. Technically you can entomb a living person ... buried alive anyone? But I'm leaning towards poetic licence.

Quill is viciously killed by Atrocious. You can see his blood spill and Atrocious says he'll use his innards to release the power of the red. Spirits don't have innards; flesh and blood creatures have innards.

Secret Origins says the Inversions (Quill and Atrocious included) were the survivors of sector 666 - as in still alive.

Of course you might be right ... they could be demons with a physical form like Etrigan. But even that conflicts with the "disembodied" idea as presented in Tygers.
Gauntlet101010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 04:09 AM   #18
Lord Malvolio
Corps Honor Guard

Send a message via Yahoo to Lord Malvolio

Man how wild would this story make as an animated feature? With that quirky, creepy artwork? This story is so powerful it still holds up to today's standards! Coloring is a little weak (as it usually was back in the day), but otherwise, is a fantastic story I am glad Geoff built on.

Lord Malvolio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 09:23 AM   #19
t67443
Green Lantern

I like how between Johns and Morrison they bring back a lot of the obscure comic history. Between the Batman RIP story line and the dozens of Green Lantern stuff, it really makes these comics more interesting.
t67443 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 11:46 AM   #20
Darth_Andrea
Owned by Natu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tazer View Post
Yo.

I agree; this thread should be stickied.

due to D_A's posting of the original story, now atleast we dont have to recount it each time for every other person that asks about it........simply point them here.

btw- nice job there D_A.

Tazer

You mean I did something right for once Yay Me !!

Darth_Andrea
Old 08-20-2008, 12:03 PM   #21
Tazer

Yo.

lulz

Tazer

Quote:
Geoff Johns should have a 10 mile restraining order from comic books, let alone films.
Old 08-20-2008, 12:05 PM   #22
Tazer

Yo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Malvolio View Post
Man how wild would this story make as an animated feature? With that quirky, creepy artwork? This story is so powerful it still holds up to today's standards! Coloring is a little weak (as it usually was back in the day), but otherwise, is a fantastic story I am glad Geoff built on.
U mean RE-built on, dontcha??

Tazer

Quote:
Old 08-20-2008, 12:38 PM   #23
Orion Pax
Iolande's Bodyguard

Qull didnīt told Abin sur about the rise of the other Corps. He was probably covering for Atrocitus. If he did see into the future like he claimed to do, he would know about the War of Light.

Besides "the corps shall be destroyed down to the last life form"? In the 31 century thereīs still two Green Lanterns alive.

Last edited by Orion Pax; 08-20-2008 at 12:40 PM.
Orion Pax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 01:01 PM   #24
Darth_Andrea
Owned by Natu

Well Pax the 7 other corps wasn't a part of the original story as seen above. They were added by Geoff, Blackest Night as we will see it is a modified prophecy from those original pages. Changed by Geoff to suit the story he wants to tell. But as this was the basis for BN as we will see it I thought it importiant to post it so we see the roots of what Geoff is going to give us.

Darth_Andrea
Old 08-20-2008, 04:49 PM   #25
Keyser Soze
Alpha-Lantern

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limelantern View Post
Well, Quill did say that he has lied some to Abin. So the prophecy cannot be taken word for word. Also, Ranx failed at killing Mogo, the Weaponers are not in any shape at killing anyone right now, and Quill said it will happen after untold millenia. But then again he did know about Hal so Quill can see the future and can interperit it fairly well.

What interests me now is the first couple pages mentioned the demons of the empire were not dead but disembodied and physically powerless. And their essences haunt the world now. Plus their necromatic powers were mentioned. So this could bring up another enemy that could have trapped the Antimoniter other than Nekron. It could either be the bodyless demons of the Empire of tears or something that still haunts the planet brought on by their necromatic practices. In issue 25 the voices did instantly identify the Antimoniter just as they did Abin sur here.
But aren't the demons of Ysmault - Atrocitus in particular - the masterminds behind the Red Lanterns? Which would mean the Black Lanterns would be led by a seperate entity?
Keyser Soze is offline   Reply With Quote