The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > Green Lanternverse > Hal Jordan & The Green Lantern Corps
FLASHCHAT

Hal Jordan and the Green Lantern Corps
View Poll Results: Rate Hal and the GLC #4
* 1 7.69%
** 0 0%
*** 4 30.77%
**** 6 46.15%
***** 2 15.38%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-14-2016, 12:18 AM   #1
Hypo
Lil' Leaguer

Default Hal Jordan And The Green Lantern Corps #4 *Preview/Spoilers*

Hal Jordan And The Green Lantern Corps #4 Preview
Writer: Robert Venditti
Artist: Ethan Van Sciver

Old 09-15-2016, 03:41 AM   #2
Kane2814
Weaponer of Qward

What the HELL did Soranik do?!? (and why are the stitches so big? That's not the work of a top surgeon)

Without any scenes together, this has already been the most enjoyable Hal/Sinestro story in awhile. Sin's fixation with the "one man" who's beaten him time and again is almost comedic in how frustrated Sinestro is getting at not having Hal in his clutches. Guy as the "consolation prize" is priceless! Others have said this, but Venditti does seem to have all the characters' voices down. I don't believe this is the same guy who made me drop GL when he first took over.
Kane2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 03:44 AM   #3
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kane2814 View Post
What the HELL did Soranik do?!? (and why are the stitches so big? That's not the work of a top surgeon)...
This has me really curious too. EVS' rendering of Hal's pained face was excellent.

I liked this issue.

The Fear Engine seems to contradict the Relic reservoir theory: if fear from individuals can refuel YLs, the yellow reservoir should be endless as long as there are emotional beings around.
Old 09-15-2016, 05:24 AM   #4
W.West

Send a message via AIM to W.West Send a message via Yahoo to W.West Send a message via Skype™ to W.West

REVIEW: Hal Jordan and the Green Lantern Corps #4
Old 09-15-2016, 07:30 AM   #5
Star-Lantern
Green Lantern Initiate

I think the thing that interests me the most is if there will be an explanation to what happened to the Green Lantern Corps to make them disappear. To be honest, I actually lost interest in finding out what that was about, but it would be kinda' funny if that entire plot point was never addressed, and I'm just wondering if it will be. Venditti doesn't seem like the type of writer to ignore that. If he does address it, I wonder if it will be the same thing Bunn had in mind. Maybe one of these days I'll ask Cullen Bunn what his original plan was, because I doubt it is still in effect.
Star-Lantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 02:41 PM   #6
Mister Ed
Horse of a Different Color

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Cop View Post
This has me really curious too. EVS' rendering of Hal's pained face was excellent.

I liked this issue.

The Fear Engine seems to contradict the Relic reservoir theory: if fear from individuals can refuel YLs, the yellow reservoir should be endless as long as there are emotional beings around.
Unless, of course, individuals draw THEIR fear from the reservoir as well, though that raises a different problem with Relic's theory, because if all emotional beings in the universe draw their emotions from the reservoir, then focusing on stopping ring-bearers seems pointless, since they would just a be a tiny drop in the bucket. It'd be like trying to stop Global Warming by really cracking down on the greenhouse gas emissions of Lichtenstein.
Old 09-15-2016, 03:18 PM   #7
Space Cop
The Dandy

I like Sinestro returning to his outright villainy in this arc. Antihero was okay, but he's best when he's an unapologetic baddie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Ed View Post
Unless, of course, individuals draw THEIR fear from the reservoir as well, though that raises a different problem with Relic's theory, because if all emotional beings in the universe draw their emotions from the reservoir, then focusing on stopping ring-bearers seems pointless, since they would just a be a tiny drop in the bucket. It'd be like trying to stop Global Warming by really cracking down on the greenhouse gas emissions of Lichtenstein.
Yep.
Old 09-15-2016, 04:19 PM   #8
Spectremjm
Corps Honor Guard

Send a message via Yahoo to Spectremjm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Cop View Post
I like Sinestro returning to his outright villainy in this arc. Antihero was okay, but he's best when he's an unapologetic baddie.

Yep.
To be fair, in this issue, he actually takes a step back from outright villainy since he doesn't want children brought to the engine and he doesn't want the Corps to be monsters, just enforcers. Just instilling enough fear. Not that this is the impression he gave to his Corps when he sent them out to do their thing.

I'm dead, yet I live. I have no identity. Yet I know
who I am. And once again I've been given power enough
to change the world. This time, Lord...
Let me be worthy."
Spectremjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 05:06 PM   #9
Space Cop
The Dandy

[Spoilers]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectremjm View Post
To be fair, in this issue, he actually takes a step back from outright villainy since he doesn't want children brought to the engine and he doesn't want the Corps to be monsters, just enforcers. Just instilling enough fear. Not that this is the impression he gave to his Corps when he sent them out to do their thing.
Yep. I thought that kid was going to die at first. Of course, it was pretty hardcore to kill his own guy.
Old 09-15-2016, 05:30 PM   #10
Mister Ed
Horse of a Different Color

Quote:
I wouldn't put it past him to have been deliberately vague and/or misleading so that he'd likely get the opportunity to make an example of somebody when they "messed up". Probably figured that would get across his point of what was acceptable more memorably than just telling them explicitly.
Old 09-15-2016, 06:06 PM   #11
Space Cop
The Dandy

^He made a point of having word spread of the execution, so that's not impossible.
Old 09-15-2016, 10:01 PM   #12
Spectremjm
Corps Honor Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Ed View Post
I wouldn't put it past him to have been deliberately vague and/or misleading so that he'd likely get the opportunity to make an example of somebody when they "messed up". Probably figured that would get across his point of what was acceptable more memorably than just telling them explicitly.
But he was pretty clear about how he wanted the Corps to turn on everyone that had welcomed them. So besides that being a pretty stupid strategy to use on everyone, it also seemed odd that every Corps member just went along with it. Especially Arkillo, who was clearly enjoying being a hero on Earth. This also opens the door for conflict between Arkillo and Saint Walker, which really sucks, because seeing them work as a team would be much more interesting and satisfying. Unless, of course, Arkillo just can't do what Sinestro wants him to do, at least on Earth.

Let me be worthy."
Old 09-16-2016, 05:50 AM   #13
Kane2814
Weaponer of Qward

Quote:
Having some kind of line by not killing a child for no reason (and believe me, if he had a reason, he'd have no problem doing it) Just because his actions might align with our morality once in awhile doesn't mean he shares our values or that he's not an outright villain. He wants to instill fear and the dead can't feel fear. He also needs those strong enough to survive the Fear Engine. Don't start thinking Sin's a softie...
Old 09-16-2016, 02:17 PM   #14
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
Having some kind of line by not killing a child for no reason (and believe me, if he had a reason, he'd have no problem doing it) Just because his actions might align with our morality once in awhile doesn't mean he shares our values or that he's not an outright villain. He wants to instill fear and the dead can't feel fear. He also needs those strong enough to survive the Fear Engine. Don't start thinking Sin's a softie...
Agreed. Hitler loved dogs.
Old 09-17-2016, 02:56 AM   #15
Spectremjm
Corps Honor Guard

Quote:
Ha, no one said he was a softie. Just pointing out this wasn't really the issue to talk about how Sinestro embraced all-out villainy again. The issue where he sent the Corps out to do their dirty work was, since that was the most hard-lined we've seen Sinestro openly in years.

Let me be worthy."
Old 09-17-2016, 08:33 PM   #16
JohnMc
Green Lantern

What is up with these guys constantly having Guy in a state of undress [or naked here] besides pushing the "Look at what an asshole Guy is" agenda. I feel like I'm reading a gender flipped Tarot:Witch of the Black Rose.
JohnMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 10:28 PM   #17
Locomoco808
Kilowog's Recruit

I loved the issue but not enough to give it 5 stars.

Guy was hilarious. Liked how he had nothing in his backpack but a six pack of beer. Also in agreement that the tones of the characters seem on point. Loved how he volunteered for a recon mission and winds up getting captured and sent to enemy HQ. Of course, any other lantern probably would have gotten killed trying to actually 'recon' the situation.

I'm interested too in what exactly has apparently been installed inside of Hal Jordan. Maybe something that negates yellow fear energy?

As far as the fear engine goes, I liken it to what hybrid vehicles are suppose to do. Is the emotional spectrum still being used? Yes, but at a more subdued rate and used in a more efficient manner as they are drawing the energy directly from living beings themselves to bolster their usage.
Locomoco808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 01:35 AM   #18
Hypo
Lil' Leaguer

Another solid issue, the rebirth-ing of GL (or at least the Hal book) continues to go swimmingly.
Old 09-21-2016, 04:33 AM   #19
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

A solid 3 star issue for me. I liked the comedic moment between Guy and Sinestro when Sin asked him how he ever got inducted to the GLC in the first place. A great shot of Sinestro there.

I was starting to roll my eyes when they pulled Sinestro back from pure villainy when he reigned his corps in on who they could prey on for their machine. But then they totally won me back with his Darth Vader moment by killing his own guy. Classic stuff there.
Old 09-23-2016, 04:18 PM   #20
jhpace1
Corpse Trainee

3/5 stars (previous put this in the wrong summary)

Sinestro being "evil" Sinestro again (is this an effect of Parallax in him?), but there's a method to his madness (i.e., no children in the Fear Engine, robust adults can handle it better). Soranik playing games against her father, and Guy Gardner being Guy Gardner (1 star just for him).

What was bad: artwork was precise but inconsistent. How many different haircuts have we seen Guy & Soranik have, now? When did Soranik get a pageboy? And I'm sorry, Guy, but with so many dead GLs in the past, I would make sure I was wearing an armored spacesuit before I put on the ring. So when the GL power runs out I have a backup. Like back in your Warrior days when Sinestro's ring ran out of power and you had Blue Beetle make you a suit. The female audience may want to see you in the muscled buff, but not the other 88% of the readers.

Characterizations were spot-on, so no complaints there. There is, however, still too much of "hide it from the readers until the last second!" in the writing. If we can keep the writing, characters, and artwork at this level I won't complain too much.

But give Guy some boxers or bicycle pants.
jhpace1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 02:47 AM   #21
Kane2814
Weaponer of Qward

I really just want to see Hal destroy Sinestro's plans all over again. It seems so odd to think that it's not something we can assume is going to happen, the way we assume Superman is going to win over Lex or that Bats is going to win over Joker. Johns has built up Sinestro to the point where it seems Hal shouldn't be able to best him, but I guess time will tell if Vendettti agrees....
Old 11-14-2017, 04:33 PM   #22
BLACK HAND
Manhunter Repairman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star-Lantern View Post
I think the thing that interests me the most is if there will be an explanation to what happened to the Green Lantern Corps to make them disappear. To be honest, I actually lost interest in finding out what that was about, but it would be kinda' funny if that entire plot point was never addressed, and I'm just wondering if it will be. Venditti doesn't seem like the type of writer to ignore that. If he does address it, I wonder if it will be the same thing Bunn had in mind. Maybe one of these days I'll ask Cullen Bunn what his original plan was, because I doubt it is still in effect.
I'm a little late to the party, was that ever explained?

I really like the cover art of the issue and how Sinestro reacts to the news of them bringing back Guy instead of Hal. He certainly is ruthless and makes no qualms about killing his own men to set example.
BLACK HAND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 04:18 PM   #23
Star-Lantern
Green Lantern Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACK HAND View Post
I'm a little late to the party, was that ever explained?
Unfortunately, no.

I'm under the impression that DC wants readers to completely forget that Green Lantern: Lost Army ever happened. I don't know why. Perhaps because that series heavily involves the Emotional Reservoir concept, which is also never brought up anymore (I wonder if we'll ever see Relic again).

I've never seen anything so abruptly, so glaringly, and so hamfistedly brushed aside in Green Lantern comics before. At least not that I can recall. At least not an incident as major as this one, to where it's like, from DC's perspective: "Hey, I know we just published a comic series a few months ago, and I know it leaves a lot of questions left to be answered, but forget ALL of that. Pretend it didn't happen. We're going to do something else, and we're just never going back to that ever again!"

I guess the thing that's so disappointing to me about the whole thing is that there are major questions that went completely unanswered. If DC let the story finish--as they should have, because Edge of Oblivion was way worse, and somehow managed to still not answer anything--and then never referenced it again, that would be one thing. But as it is now, there's this big gaping hole in Green Lantern that will seemingly forever go unaddressed, and the best we can do is just look the other way, shrug our shoulders, and accept that.

Extremely poor editing, in my opinion. As a reader, I feel like I just wasted all the time, money, and investment I put into those comics, and in that sense, I feel like I was, at least on some level, taken advantage of. And knowing that the publisher actually does storytelling like that, I don't have a lot of trust in them to put in an investment like I did previously because what if something like this incident happens again to something I risk following? Interestingly, I haven't bought a Green Lantern comic book since then.

Last edited by Star-Lantern; 11-16-2017 at 04:27 PM.
Star-Lantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 05:27 PM   #24
BLACK HAND
Manhunter Repairman

I'm still picking up the GL titles, but I feel the same way you do otherwise. What a major cheat, it would be one thing if they never referred to it, but they seem to bring it up a lot in this series. To offer no explanation at all at this point is just lazy, like nobody has been paying attention.
BLACK HAND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 07:57 PM   #25
buffalorock
Corpse Trainee

All it will take is one line from Dr Manhattan in Doomsday Clock to say "i thought the corps would be a threat so I removed them".

That would at least give me story resolution but yeah, I wasn't too pleased with how those twelve months of GLC stories went.

It won't remove the stink of those comics but it would be something.
buffalorock is offline   Reply With Quote