The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > Miscellaneous > Movies & TV
FLASHCHAT

Movies and TV

Old 02-20-2015, 12:06 AM   #1
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

Default Creed

Any Rocky fans planning on watching this? It hits theaters November 25th.

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/70438

I'm actually looking forward to it. The whole concept makes a lot of sense. It finally gets Rocky out of the ring; I really liked part 6 and don't want to see that undone by him getting in the ring again. Putting Rocky in the Mickey role is a natural twist that works for me. And making a grandson of the beloved Apollo Creed? Fucking gold right there. I haven't seen anything beyond stills and I'm already rooting for this kid to win.

I just hope the movie doesn't look too slick or big budget, and is more of a nod to the first two Rocky films.

What about you guys?
Old 02-20-2015, 12:20 AM   #2
Mister Ed
Horse of a Different Color

Sounds like as good an idea as one could hope for in yet ANOTHER Rocky film.
Old 02-20-2015, 12:22 AM   #3
Darth_Primus
Guardian of the Universe

I'm on board for another Rocky film.
Old 02-20-2015, 12:26 AM   #4
Sylent_Asassin
Black Lantern

As long as it's compelling, I can get behind another Rocky-ish film. I've enjoyed most of the other films, so this one should at least be decent.
Old 02-20-2015, 12:32 AM   #5
TazzMission
Guardian of the Universe

if its anything like the first rocky or even rocky balboa i can get behind this but if this is going to be rocky 5 fuck it

I felt a great disturbance in the force, as if millions of WWE Network subscriptions were suddenly cancelled.
TazzMission is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 02:25 PM   #6
Space Cop
The Dandy

I'll definitely see it, though I can't guarantee it will be in theaters since lately I find a lot of excuses not to go to the movies even when it's something I was "sure" I would see on the big screen.
Old 02-20-2015, 03:26 PM   #7
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TazzMission View Post
if its anything like the first rocky or even rocky balboa i can get behind this but if this is going to be rocky 5 fuck it
1, 2, and 6 for me. I love those 3. If this one is like those 3 I'll be happy.
Old 02-20-2015, 03:30 PM   #8
TazzMission
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy Davos View Post
1, 2, and 6 for me. I love those 3. If this one is like those 3 I'll be happy.
you and me both bro

I felt a great disturbance in the force, as if millions of WWE Network subscriptions were suddenly cancelled.
Old 02-20-2015, 03:50 PM   #9
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

V is dogshit. III and IV just lost all the magic and what made Rocky special. Once he is the champ and rich, Rocky isn't an underdog anymore. I don't need to see him win so he can keep putting mink coats on his wife, and him getting revenge for dead loved ones isn't enough.
Old 02-20-2015, 04:31 PM   #10
Space Cop
The Dandy

I own them all and I like every one but 5 and even that there are a few cool moments (the street fight). #4 is corny, but how can you not have fun with 'merica vs. the evil commies?
Old 02-20-2015, 09:04 PM   #11
Agent Purple
The Illustrated Man

I'm not sure if I want this film's soundtrack to be nothing but Apollo Creed songs sung by the actual band Creed.
Old 02-26-2015, 05:52 PM   #12
TazzMission
Guardian of the Universe

Rocky Comes Out of Retirement in First Official CREED Synopsis

Check out the official Creed synopsis below, via Warner Bros. Coogler co-wrote the screenplay with Aaron Covington and Stallone also acts as a producer on the film. Creed will open in theaters on November 25th.

From Warner Bros. Pictures and Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Pictures comes award-winning filmmaker Ryan Coogler’s “Creed.” The film explores a new chapter in the “Rocky” story and stars Academy Award nominee Sylvester Stallone in his iconic role. The film also reunites Coogler with his “Fruitvale Station” star Michael B. Jordan as the son of Apollo Creed.

Adonis Johnson (Jordan) never knew his famous father, world heavyweight champion Apollo Creed, who died before he was born. Still, there’s no denying that boxing is in his blood, so Adonis heads to Philadelphia, the site of Apollo Creed’s legendary match with a tough upstart named Rocky Balboa.

Once in the City of Brotherly Love, Adonis tracks Rocky (Stallone) down and asks him to be his trainer. Despite his insistence that he is out of the fight game for good, Rocky sees in Adonis the strength and determination he had known in Apollo—the fierce rival who became his closest friend. Agreeing to take him on, Rocky trains the young fighter, even as the former champ is battling an opponent more deadly than any he faced in the ring.
With Rocky in his corner, it isn’t long before Adonis gets his own shot at the title…but can he develop not only the drive but also the heart of a true fighter, in time to get into the ring?

source

http://collider.com/creed-synopsis-new-rocky-movie/

Old 02-26-2015, 05:56 PM   #13
Mister Ed

So what do you figure Rocky's "more deadly" opponent is? Cancer? Heart disease? It has to be some sort of health thing.

What are the chances that Rocky finally dies in this film, and his young protege wins the title in his memory?
Old 02-26-2015, 05:59 PM   #14
TazzMission
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Ed View Post
So what do you figure Rocky's "more deadly" opponent is? Cancer? Heart disease? It has to be some sort of health thing.

What are the chances that Rocky finally dies in this film, and his young protege wins the title in his memory?
i saw a rocky documentary where it was mentioned rocky was going to be killed in rocky 5. but the studio said aint going to happen

Old 02-26-2015, 06:32 PM   #15
Robinson
Guardian Of The Universe

Quote:

Maybe alzheimers or something that furthers the brain trauma storyline.
Old 02-26-2015, 06:36 PM   #16
TazzMission
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robinson View Post
Maybe alzheimers or something that furthers the brain trauma storyline.
i believe the last film erased that if im not mistaken. if i remember correctly in the training scene it was stated he has like arthrites and other stuff wich is why they had to go a different route

also i thought apollo just had 2 girls? because when you watch rocky 2 when he says my daughters get teased because i lost when he wanted to face rocky again.

Old 02-26-2015, 06:45 PM   #17
Mister Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by TazzMission View Post
i believe the last film erased that if im not mistaken. if i remember correctly in the training scene it was stated he has like arthrites and other stuff wich is why they had to go a different route

also i thought apollo just had 2 girls? because when you watch rocky 2 when he says my daughters get teased because i lost when he wanted to face rocky again.
Based on the description of this film, this son wasn't born yet when he died. So if Apollo is talking about his kids, he couldn't possibly mention this one, since he never saw him.
Old 02-27-2015, 05:14 AM   #18
TazzMission
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Based on the description of this film, this son wasn't born yet when he died. So if Apollo is talking about his kids, he couldn't possibly mention this one, since he never saw him.
well im hyped so i just hope this wont be rocky 5 all over again ( shudders)

im also excited for southpaw with Jake Gyllenhaal

Jake Gyllenhaal in movie

synopsis

A boxer fights his way to the top, only to find his life falling apart around him.

Last edited by TazzMission; 02-27-2015 at 05:24 AM.
Old 02-27-2015, 06:09 PM   #19
Darth_Primus
Guardian of the Universe

Rocky IV is my favorite as it's very comic book like. I love the soundtrack for the film as well.

My brother and I love to quote from this film, "If he dies, he dies."

"I must break you."
"Go for it!"

I know Sylent like to quote part of this in high school, "It's time to go to school!"

And then Sylent would make punching sound effects and do his Apollo impersonation as say, "SCHOOL'S OUT! SCHOOL'S OUT!" as Apollo was getting his ass handed to him by Drago.

Last edited by Darth_Primus; 02-27-2015 at 06:12 PM.
Darth_Primus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 06:29 PM   #20
Space Cop
The Dandy

I understand the attitude that #1 is the only really good FILM of the series, but if you watch #4 and don't have fun, there's something wrong with you.
Old 02-27-2015, 06:32 PM   #21
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

When I was a kid I was fucking furious when Drago killed Apollo. They totally worked me because I WANTED Rocky to get revenge on Drago and all of the Soviet Union.

Now it doesn't hold up for me. It's just so over the top and goofy. Same with 3. But at least with those two films they are entertaining. I really can't stand part 5. 1, 2 and 6 are still legitimately good (IMO).
Old 02-27-2015, 06:39 PM   #22
TazzMission
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
When I was a kid I was fucking furious when Drago killed Apollo. They totally worked me because I WANTED Rocky to get revenge on Drago and all of the Soviet Union.

Now it doesn't hold up for me. It's just so over the top and goofy. Same with 3. But at least with those two films they are entertaining. I really can't stand part 5. 1, 2 and 6 are still legitimately good (IMO).
same. 1 2 and 6 are the best. i mean 3 and 4 are ok but it just dosent compare to those 3

Old 02-27-2015, 06:45 PM   #23
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

The death of characters throughout the series ended up hurting it I think. I know they used the deaths to fuel the stories and all that, and there may be reasons why the actors didn't come back, but I think the chemistry changed for all of those actors and characters. The movies weren't just about Rocky, the supporting cast was great too with Apollo, Adrian, Mickey and Paulie. It amazes me that Rocky 6 was as good as it was considering they had to pull a supporting cast out of their ass.
Old 02-27-2015, 06:47 PM   #24
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

Quote:
The death of characters throughout the series ended up hurting it I think. I know they used the deaths to fuel the stories and all that, and there may be reasons why the actors didn't come back, but I think the chemistry changed for all of those actors and characters. The movies weren't just about Rocky, the supporting cast was great too with Apollo, Adrian, Mickey and Paulie. It amazes me that Rocky 6 was as good as it was considering they had to pull a supporting cast out of their ass.
That said, I really WANT Creed to be great. I just rewatched Cinderella Man again this week and would love to see Creed have a more realistic feel like Howard's film had.
Old 02-27-2015, 07:44 PM   #25
IonFan
Forum Member

i thought him vanishing at the end of the last one was to show that he died during or sometime after the fight?

IonFan says

Quote:
F**k all the "Haters" 3 years in and i still support our dear leader, one Donald J. Trump
IonFan is offline   Reply With Quote