Announcement

Collapse

The point of this Forum Section

Some members are a little iffy on what should go in the Games & Humor forum section so.

Trivial games like "the person above you game" should be placed in this forum.

Humor of all kinds also belongs here, like the "Superman has a problem with kinky sex" thread.

What does not belong here would be things like video games, board games. Or humor coming directly out of comic books or discussion of books.

Boardgames and the like would go in the Action Figure and Toys section as could video games, though those could also be posted in the General Forum Section.

also any posts in this Forum Section do not count towards your post count.

Hope that helps!
See more
See less

15 Minutes with DOOM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CaptainFrxz View Post
    Would you ever consider visiting the wonderful country we call Norway?

Favourite Sandwich?

Favourite adultswim cartoon?

Absolutely, I would visit Norway! We could meet up, have lunch, and you could take me to all the cool toy/comic shops in the area.

Either Roast Beef or Ham with Gulden's mustard on white bread. Plus Cape Cod potato chips.

Damn........adultswim.....been a LONG time since I watched that. I think I watched Family Guy on that years ago. Maybe also South Park?

Comment

Originally posted by DOOM View Post
      I would travel back to 1975 and urge my parents to never have children, or at least abort me.
      I find that truly sad. Please tell me you are joking, at least to some degree.

Comment

Screen Name: 4 rlz? I figured someone along the way was going to ask about the infatuation. 'Tis a shame. It's a good story.
        Well now, if there is a good story behind the infatuation, tell away. I just thought that there was no point in asking why you chose the screen name, since it is obvious that said infatuation IS the reason. It didn't occur to me to ask where the infatuation itself came from. Shame on me.

Comment

Would you consider changing your SN to FOOM?

Comment

Originally posted by Space Cop View Post
            1. If you knew you were going to be stuck on a deserted island and could take 5 books, 5 movies, and 5 albums (with a mysterious ability to play the last 10), what would you choose?

2. If you could instantly learn a language you don't currently know, what would it be?

3. If you could have dinner with anyone from the past, who would you pick?

4. If you could choose your own death, what would it be?

5. If you could have an exotic pet (money for upkeep is not an issue), what would you like?

6. Do you have a guilty pleasure movie?

7. What is your favorite food?

8. Who would win in a fight between Doctor Doom and Megatron?
            Damn you, SC, Damn you. Hard choices/decisions.

Ok, the deserted island scene:

5 Books: The Complete Works of H.P. Lovecraft, The entire Meg series (Since it's all really one story anyways) by Steve Alten, Wuthering Heights, IDW Transformers: All Hail Megatron, Animal Magick by Conway.

5 Movies: Jaws, TDK (r.i.p. Ledger), The Mummy (1932), The Empire Strikes Back

5 Albums: Live After Death by Iron Maiden, Medazzaland by Duran Duran, KISS Alive II, The Hissing of Summer Lawns by Joni Mitchell, Ray of Light by Madonna

Language I don't know: Ancient Egyptian

Dinner with someone from the past: you know that one, bro.

Choose your own death: See Sylent's last question

Exotic Pet: Lately, it's been red pandas. You know, that animal that Fearless has no clue about.

I am proud of any movie I like, therefore eliminating guilt. I have never let mass opinion influence me on anything. So, Godzilla (1998). And the Star Wars Holiday Special. LOL j/k. about the special. The SW prequels.

Favorite Food: Filet Mignon

RE: Doom and Megs: You JUST HAD to ask that didn't you? *tender slap on the butt* No, it's not sexual harrassment. Her Ass Meant nothing. HAHAHAHA
            Ok, but seriously? They would work together, not against each other.

Comment

Originally posted by Spy Smasher View Post
              Would you consider changing your SN to FOOM?
              No, but I would consider changing it to Moon Moon, your lovable but stupid cousin from GLCMB.

Comment

Originally posted by Mister Ed View Post
                I find that truly sad. Please tell me you are joking, at least to some degree.
                Being very serious.

I have often thought about time travel and things I could change if permitted to alter the timeline of life. Wouldn't it be nice to go back to Toys R Us in 1980 or 1984 just to see those action figure shelves one more time? Yup, but it would just be ghost memories of dead times. I've thought about going way back to see what my parents were like when they were still teens. See what made them who they are. But most of all, yes, I would go back to 1975, reveal to them exactly what their son is going to turn into, and try like hell to persuade them to not have the child, because it would have been so much better off for the both of them, and me.

Edit: I realize that what I said is very sad and uncomfortable, maybe more so for the reader than for me. For that, I apologize. It is the truth.
                Jeff
                Guardian of the Universe
                Last edited by Jeff; 01-30-2015, 02:34 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Booster Beetle View Post

And why would you say a shark is a treasure of the sea?
                  Look at dose teeth!

Comment

Originally posted by Mister Ed View Post
                    Well now, if there is a good story behind the infatuation, tell away. I just thought that there was no point in asking why you chose the screen name, since it is obvious that said infatuation IS the reason. It didn't occur to me to ask where the infatuation itself came from. Shame on me.
                    Alrighty......picture it....Sicily, 1946........... j/k.

So the story begins with this: I was never much of a comic book person. In my teens, the only comics I purposely bought were the Marvel Star Wars just for my collection, and the occasional Batman trade, but I was more a music guy.

So, I get out of college, get into the working world, and started dating this really good guy named Mike. He was huge into Supes, and his roommate had his own personal favorite. I always admired comics, just never really got into them, but this made me want to start getting serious about the medium. It seemed that every comics person I ran into had their trademark favorite.

So, basically I woke up one day and said "I want a favorite comic character" and picked Aquaman. I also had a real liking for Black Manta as well (stemming from the SuperFriends cartoon on Saturday mornings), and started concentrating on stories that just involved those two.

One weekend, Mike and I head up to this comic shop in New Hampshire, right over the border. I'm on the hunt for all things Aquaman, but you know...even though I liked the character, the "click" just wasn't there. As I was shopping, I happened to notice this on a shelf by accident:

I flipped through it, really liked what I saw, and to this day, it is still my favorite Doom story. Now, here's a guy who is fighting a freakin' lion naked, taking on a slaver by turning the slaves against the master, he took down a god damn Kraken by thought alone, and eventually, conquered a world.

Yeah, I wanted to know more about this guy.

Thus, the love was born.

As I started collecting all things Doom, I was getting a real feel for who this guy was. Born into poverty, stripped of his parents and childhood by a deceitful King of then-Latveria, constantly on the run for his life.....these things spoke to me on volumes. A lesser person would have succumbed to their unfortunate situation. But not this guy. So this kid builds himself into a master of dark arts and mechanics, no special treatment given to him, survives a really fucking scary childhood that would have put most kids on the funny farm for life. He becomes leader of his gypsy clan, protecting them at all costs. The Americans want his genius. Reed Richards wants to be friends with him. Ben Grimm is jealous of his intellect.

So his ego catches up with him in an attempt to do something not of ego, but of love- save his mother from Mephisto. I call that selfless and honorable. He accomplishes that later with the help of Doctor Strange.

We all know the story of the accident, and of the befuddled relationship with Richards. I won't even go there since it's common knowledge.

After his fall out in America, he finds a clan of Tibetan Monks, who save his life....and then he later rules them. Building himself more, he heads back home to Latveria, frees his country of the criminal and corrupt Baron that killed his parents, and changes everything.

Everything that Doom is in terms of ability, knowledge, and power- these are things that he made. He wasn't handed any pretty superpowers like the X Men. Didn't have an accident with a spider. He's not a super soldier. But what he made himself into will stand toe to toe with any of them, any day of the week. Because he can. And more often than not, he puts them in their place.

Super Villain? maybe. Human Being? Definitely. Just ask his niece, Valeria.

I admire and respect these aspects of this character.

Comment

Godzilla or King Kong?

And who would win in fight between your choice and Doom?

Comment

Godzilla or King Kong?

Comment

RE: Doom and Megs: You JUST HAD to ask that didn't you? *tender slap on the butt* No, it's not sexual harrassment. Her Ass Meant nothing. HAHAHAHA
                          Ok, but seriously? They would work together, not against each other.
                          I call "cop out." Do you seriously believe suspicious Megatron would trust Doom or that Doom would take even one order from Megatron?

Comment

Godzilla or Jaws?

Who wins in a fight between Godzilla and Doom?

Comment

Originally posted by Space Cop View Post
                              I call "cop out." Do you seriously believe suspicious Megatron would trust Doom or that Doom would take even one order from Megatron?
                              Oh no, no, no my fine feathered friend....

In the current comic universes for both characters, they are good guys. Doom restored life to someone he killed due to the Axis inversion, and Megatron surrendered to Prime, was put to trial, and through manipulation of outer circumstances, he was declared "not guilty", but he also had to prove himself; he now co-leads the team of Autobots aboard the Lost Light with a very pissy Rodimus, whom, for obvious reasons, still doesn't trust him.

So, given that they are both turning over altruistic new leaves, there would be (imo) less deceit and mistrust, and more working together to accomplish a worthy goal. Granted, their initial meet-up would be like two dominant male lions circling each other for the first time, but eventually a trust would be established.

Also, I think the team-up would be beneficial for both- Doom would learn a ton about Cybertronian technology, and Megatron would learn why O.P. has faith in the "carbon-based life forms."

Comment

Godzilla or Jaws?

Who wins in a fight between Godzilla and Doom?

I think Doom would win overall. I mean, the guy took down a Kraken by thought alone, and has this uncanny ability to bond with Nature on a level that is beyond standard human comprehension. Granted, it would take a lot more effort, since Godzilla is a bit more self-aware than the average critter, but in the long run, Doom would get him under wraps. Keeping the mental link of control might be tough, though.

Comment

Working...
                                X