• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Far Sector #2 *Preview/Spoilers*

Far Sector #2 Preview (Unlettered)
    Writer: N.K. Jemisin
    Artist: Jamal Campbell

I believe this is out tomorrow though I haven't been able to find a lettered preview online.

Comment

^Glad you called it out. I didn't write it down for my personal pull list. I probably would've spotted it, but sometimes I seem to walk with blinders on in my LCS.

Comment

Far Sector #2 Preview
        Writer: N.K. Jemisin
        Artist: Jamal Campbell

Comment

Far Sector #2 was...ugh. Nothing happened. We get a suspect/murderer chase, which the main character loses, followed by some more alien interaction, concluding with (predictable) alien seduction. Because every alien culture has ballroom dance that matches with human physiology. With a tiny cliffhanger ending.

The big emphasis on this entire plot so far are aliens that have "locked their emotions away" for the "good of all". So having a human with emotions (in check) both surprises and startles the multiple alien races. The black female main character cannot even tell the other alien races why humans having emotions is a good thing (and it's hinted that she was about to say how emotionless humans are called sociopaths, etc), before something else happens that tears her away from her murder-because-of-emotion investigation. Apparently we have at least one alien carnivorous race that used emotion to track/kill its' prey on the old home world, and injecting that bit of history is the reason all aliens on this massive space station now go without emotion.

A bit like ST:Voy having the Borg Queen state "humans are the perfect balance of emotion and logic", here we have aliens stating the same about humans. I wish they would tell the Guardians of the Universe that. Even Nekron recognized it. But in the "Four Horsemen" vs. the Controllers arc, Ganthet mentioned how "uncontrollable" most humans are.

1/5 stars. Artwork was passable. I didn't read a single line about the main character's Green Lantern Power Ring being "different", rumors to the contrary. Characterizations? Eh, who cares, it's the "miracle-working black woman" again. I'd rate the issue 0/5 stars, but I'm starving for new Green Lanterns/other Lantern issues here, given what's happening with Blackstars.

Are the DC editors trying to drive away all the GL fans before March 2020? Because they're doing a good job of it, sans "GLC live-action!" and a single preview of four b&w pages.

Comment

Originally posted by Hypo View Post
            I believe this is out tomorrow though I haven't been able to find a lettered preview online.
            And she's reading Black Lightning fanfic. That's kind of funny.

Originally posted by jhpace1 View Post
            Far Sector #2 was...ugh. Nothing happened. . .
            Meh, I still liked it, though I'd agree the plot only inched forward.

. . . The big emphasis on this entire plot so far are aliens that have "locked their emotions away" for the "good of all". . .
            I don't know that they sell me on that either. Star Trek has this problem with Vulcans and androids too, but there seem to be several things these emotionless beings are showing that are emotions---desire, suspicion, etc. I don't exactly blame the writer; it's hard to really imagine higher level cognition and motivation apart from any emotion.

Comment

Eh, who cares, it's the "miracle-working black woman" again.
              ...I'm not really sure how you got that from this issue considering she forgets how to use her ring to fly and needs help getting down from up high in this issue. They're certainly not portraying her as a Mary Sue.

Originally posted by Space Cop View Post
              Meh, I still liked it, though I'd agree the plot only inched forward.
              Same

Originally posted by Space Cop
              I don't know that they sell me on that either. Star Trek has this problem with Vulcans and androids too, but there seem to be several things these emotionless beings are showing that are emotions---desire, suspicion, etc. I don't exactly blame the writer; it's hard to really imagine higher level cognition and motivation apart from any emotion.
              Also my number 1 complaint with the book.

Comment

...I'm not really sure how you got that from this issue considering she forgets how to use her ring to fly and needs help getting down from up high in this issue. They're certainly not portraying her as a Mary Sue.
                This issue is still in my pull list at the LCS, but I can say from issue #1 that Jo has some doubts about her ability to police a complex political environment. Granted, we're not far into this story, but my initial reaction was that this is going to play out in a similar fashion to Kyle in his early stages as GL where he tried to cope with inexperience and a lack of confidence.
                Check out my Green Lantern product reviews on Twitter as the Emerald Enthusiast! @EmeraldEnthusi1

Comment

Working...
                X