The Wrestling Thread Vol. 3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Space Cop View Post
    I'm back on WWE Network and have been watching 80s stuff. I might try some of the new, but I know nothing about what's going on. Was this past Royal Rumble any good?

I don't know the current situation there, but isn't Vince's son part of the ownership and decision making?
    I haven't watched it in a while. Just been reading articles.

Vince's daughter Stephanie and his son-in-law Paul Levesque (Triple H) are heavily involved in the operations. His son Shane dropped out for a while but is back now in some capacity. But nothing happens on television that Vince doesn't approve. it's always been that way.

I'm sure that Stephanie, Triple H and Shane would have sense enough to accept the booing and make Roman Reigns a heel. Vince has got to be the one who won't just go with the flow.

Comment

• The wrestlers' bodies look a lot different now without the PEDs.

https://www.sfgate.com/entertainment...n-13002586.php

Comment

• Originally posted by Trey Strain View Post
        Vader wrestled Ric Flair in one of the best matches I've ever seen. Vader resented having to lose to Flair, and intentionally bloodied his mouth. You can hear Flair mumble "You son of a bitch" after he did it, but Flair didn't retaliate. Harley Race called Vader an asshole afterward.
        Watched that Starcade match yesterday. It's with a bunch of other matches and videos (watching some others now) in a Vader tribute section on WWEN right now. Great stuff. I would have assumed the "SOB" (Flair actually seems to cut of before the "B-" or is edited) was kayfabe if you hadn't mentioned that. You hear that in an interview?
        Space Cop
        The Dandy
        Last edited by Space Cop; 07-01-2018, 12:33 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Space Cop View Post

Watched that Starcade match yesterday. It's with a bunch of other matches and videos (watching some others now) in a Vader tribute section on WWEN right now. Great stuff. I would have assumed the "SOB" (Flair actually seems to cut of before the "B-" or is edited) was kayfabe if you hadn't mentioned that. You hear that in an interview?
          Flair and Race talked about it afterward. Vader claimed he roughed Flair up on purpose because he wanted to get a better match out of him.

This is my other favorite match of Flair's. Flair bladed, which is something they don't do any more. It's worth noting that Randy Savage, Miss Elizabeth, Mr. Perfect, Gorilla Monsoon and Bobby Heenan are all dead now.

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x5us2e

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x5us57

Comment

Flair and Race talked about it afterward. Vader claimed he roughed Flair up on purpose because he wanted to get a better match out of him.
            I like that behind-the-scenes stuff. It's kind of fun that beyond all the kayfabe there are real rivalries and actual bloodying.

Originally posted by Trey Strain View Post
            This is my other favorite match of Flair's. Flair bladed, which is something they don't do any more. It's worth noting that Randy Savage, Miss Elizabeth, Mr. Perfect, Gorilla Monsoon and Bobby Heenan are all dead now...
            Yeah, a whole lot of the guys that defined my wrestling memories as a child are gone, many of them too young.

Space Cop
            The Dandy
            Last edited by Space Cop; 07-18-2018, 03:07 AM.

Comment

• In the old days, many of the older wrestlers would be jealous of younger wrestlers who were moving up fast in the ranks and would beat them up in the ring. Ole Anderson was known for doing that. Bruiser Brody was jealous of Lex Luger because of his physique and his looks, and stopped selling for him during a match. Luger got frustrated and left the ring.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FfngjQyIxM

Comment

...This is my other favorite match of Flair's. Flair bladed, which is something they don't do any more. . .

I just watched the match where Vader took the WCW belt from Sting (a wrestler I'm barely familiar with because I was a WWF guy, but I'm really liking his moves here) and I could see where Sting bladed his forehead, but only after I saw him bleeding (the announcers attribute it to a post hit, which of course didn't really happen) and went back in slowmo. If I didn't know that trick and replayed it, I wouldn't have spotted it at all. Gotta love the commitment of the OGs in being willing to cut themselves so much.

Originally posted by Trey Strain View Post
                In the old days, many of the older wrestlers would be jealous of younger wrestlers who were moving up fast in the ranks and would beat them up in the ring. Ole Anderson was known for doing that. Bruiser Brody was jealous of Lex Luger because of his physique and his looks, and stopped selling for him during a match. Luger got frustrated and left the ring.
                It was happening in the 80s too. There's that story that the Sheik was all ready to break Hogan's leg when he lost the belt to him because Hogan didn't have his real wrestling experience and didn't work his way through the ranks.

And I've heard guys bad mouth George Steele for not learning technique.

Space Cop
                The Dandy
                Last edited by Space Cop; 07-02-2018, 04:05 AM.

Comment

• If you look at photos of old timers like Flair or Dusty Rhodes, their foreheads looked like road maps from blading.

I believe the wrestlers got a thousand dollar bonus for doing it, but it wouldn't have been worth it to me.

Comment

• Hulk Hogan reinstated to WWE Hall of Fame

About time.

Comment

• I disagree, they’re just asking for trouble

Comment

• I personally feel that no one should be professionally punished for what they say in a private video that was never meant to be released. Hall-of-fame type acknowledgments should be based solely on professional achievements and few have done more for wrestling than Hogan. Now, if it were the award for impeccable character or being a perfect human being, that would be another matter.
                        Space Cop
                        The Dandy
                        Last edited by Space Cop; 07-18-2018, 03:33 AM.

Comment

• Brian Lawler attempts suicide.

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment...jail-cell.html

Comment

• You gotta know when to get off the stage. America's politicians need to watch this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SfnZy0hw9tI

Comment

• I felt some sympathy when Ric Flair continued to wrestle into old age because had financial issues over divorces, taxes and whatnot. But none of those four guys needed the money.

Comment

• WWE star Kairi Sane has hand-foot-and-mouth disease

Comment

Working...
                                X