The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > General > General/About Us
FLASHCHAT

General

Old 01-18-2018, 05:43 PM   #1
Darth_Primus
Guardian of the Universe

Default Black Lightning TV Show

I thought the pilot episode was really good. It had that "Dark Knight Returns" quality to it and it was grounded in reality. I felt the stakes in the episode and felt empathy for the characters, although the youngest teenage daughter was so annoying by just being a modern day teenager with phone in hand and updating/checking social media.

Darth_Primus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 06:47 PM   #2
Mister Ed
Horse of a Different Color

Too grim for me. I gave up on Gotham after a couple episodes for the same reason.
Old 01-18-2018, 08:00 PM   #3
Sylent_Asassin
Black Lantern

I thought it was good. The language was a bit more colorful than I anticipated and it was quite violent in spots, but overall, the characters were interesting and the plot was compelling. I'm not crazy about BL's costume, though. I've seen better BL costumes on cosplayers and the goggles don't obscure his face enough.

With the content and real-world issues, the pilot seemed like a live action Static Shock. The bad guy reminded me of Ebon.
Old 01-18-2018, 10:57 PM   #4
IonFan
Forum Member

i thought it was ok, didn't like the way the cops were being shown though (the profiling scene) i don't like to think of cops that way even if it does happen from time to time

IonFan says

Quote:
F**k the "Deep-State" and screw all the fake news, one year in and I still support our President one
Donald J. Trump
IonFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 03:33 PM   #5
-//V\\-
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylent_Asassin View Post
I thought it was good. The language was a bit more colorful than I anticipated and it was quite violent in spots, but overall, the characters were interesting and the plot was compelling. I'm not crazy about BL's costume, though. I've seen better BL costumes on cosplayers and the goggles don't obscure his face enough.

With the content and real-world issues, the pilot seemed like a live action Static Shock. The bad guy reminded me of Ebon.
I agree with most of this. And I remember reading somewhere that Static would show up in this series? I really like the issues the show's willing to tackle, the lead actor is perfect for this kind of Black Lightning, and I really do hope this crosses over with the Flarrowverse down the line.

I saw that the one daughter would become Thunder sooner than later [ugly costume be damned] and that Grace Choi will be showing up as well which makes me excited for where this series could go, especially if part of an extended Flarrowverse. I saw something where they'd intended for Jefferson's wife to be the sister of GL/John Stewart?!? WTF!? BL and GL being bro's would be WEIRD!

IF this show eventually crosses over into the others I'd LOVE to see some for of the Outsiders happen. BL, Thunder, Grace, bring Roy over from Arrow, figure out a way to make Metamorpho work, bring Katana from Arrow and BAM!

~//V\\~

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited, whereas imagination embraces the entire world." - Albert Einstein
-//V\\- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 11:49 PM   #6
Mister Ed

The profiling bit was bad. I know that happens, though I don't get the feeling it happens as frequently in most places as it does in THAT city. Jefferson had been stopped like that three times within the recent past. That's really something when you consider how large the black population there seemed to be. If that's a TYPICAL experience for blacks in that city, they must be pulling folks over non-stop. The cops seemed to be pretty overtly racist, too, not just in actions but in speech.

That's part of why I didn't have any real desire to stick with the show. I just...don't enjoy watching shows about places that are that crappy. Especially superhero shows, as I prefer a more upbeat vibe for my superhero entertainment. When the problem that the hero faces is that society as a whole sucks where they live, they can't really have any kind of lasting victories, which gets a bit depressing. Real life has enough of that sort of thing that I usually choose to go a different direction in my entertainment.

Just a matter of taste, though.
Old 01-19-2018, 12:15 AM   #7
IonFan
Forum Member

was wondering is this part of the Arrowverse or is it it's own thing?

IonFan says

Quote:
F**k the "Deep-State" and screw all the fake news, one year in and I still support our President one
Donald J. Trump
IonFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 11:20 PM   #8
"Chosen"
NOT his black friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Ed View Post
The profiling bit was bad. I know that happens, though I don't get the feeling it happens as frequently in most places as it does in THAT city. Jefferson had been stopped like that three times within the recent past. That's really something when you consider how large the black population there seemed to be. If that's a TYPICAL experience for blacks in that city, they must be pulling folks over non-stop. The cops seemed to be pretty overtly racist, too, not just in actions but in speech.
The profiling bit was not bad at all. It does happen to us, a lot. The year just started, and I've been pulled over three times all without reason. So when I saw that I just said, "yep, that's it".

But back to the show itself, I fucking loved it. I hate I watched the first episode so soon, I usually binge watch so I already looking for the next.

Last edited by "Chosen"; 01-21-2018 at 11:26 PM.
"Chosen" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 04:17 PM   #9
Mister Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by "Chosen" View Post
The profiling bit was not bad at all. It does happen to us, a lot. The year just started, and I've been pulled over three times all without reason. So when I saw that I just said, "yep, that's it".

But back to the show itself, I fucking loved it. I hate I watched the first episode so soon, I usually binge watch so I already looking for the next.
When I said it was bad, I didn't mean that it was badly depicted, but that profiling on that scale is most definitely a bad thing.

I WAS unaware that that level of profiling was the norm, though. I thought they were exaggerating to show just how bad that city was (here in Portland, OR, I haven't heard of people being pulled over for bogus reasons THAT often, though admittedly I only know a few black people well enough that they would share such stories with me). I just did the math in my head and thought, "if EVERY black person was getting pulled over that often, with as large a population of black people as that city seems to have, it seems like the cops would be spending most of their time pulling over black people". Apparently my calculations were in error.

Last edited by Mister Ed; 01-22-2018 at 04:20 PM.
Mister Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 09:35 PM   #10
Sylent_Asassin
Black Lantern

[QUOTE="Chosen";951811]The profiling bit was not bad at all. It does happen to us, a lot. The year just started, and I've been pulled over three times all without reason. So when I saw that I just said, "yep, that's it".[/QUOTE]

[COLOR="Lime"]It does happen a great deal. It's one of the reasons why I really dislike San Jose, CA. Even though I now have friends who are on the force in that city, the memories still linger. I've been profiled and pulled over in that city more times than I'd care to count ranging from "We thought the car was stolen" and detaining me without reason to "I thought you were speeding, but I can't prove it." I even had an officer tell me, "If you want to act like that leave this country" because I rolled my eyes at him when he tried to lecture me on something I wasn't doing.

Anyway, the profiling scenes hit close to home for me and I'm glad they touched upon it. I wasn't crazy about BL destroying the police car, but I do understand and empathize the frustration behind that action.

EDIT: Color isn't working. WTH?[/COLOR]

Last edited by Sylent_Asassin; 01-22-2018 at 09:38 PM.
Sylent_Asassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 10:08 PM   #11
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylent_Asassin View Post
...to "I thought you were speeding, but I can't prove it" . . .
I'm a real short guy and before I grew a beard I was particularly young looking. When I first started driving I got pulled over at least once because the cop thought some kid was joy riding. I remember a cop doing the same thing "I thought you were swerving a little, just watch it." "Yeah, thanks, officer."
Old 01-19-2018, 03:08 PM   #12
Mister Ed

Supposedly it is its own thing, but I'd be mighty surprised, if it sticks around long enough, if they don't give in to the temptation to cross over someday. I mean, Supergirl crosses over, and she's in a different universe...
Old 01-19-2018, 04:37 PM   #13
Darth_Primus
Guardian of the Universe

I lived in San Jose, CA for nearly 30 years and "racial profiling" is real. There was a common expression of "I was pulled over while driving brown/black."

SJPD data show San Jose cops detained greater percentage of blacks, Latinos

So, that depiction of racial profiling in "Black Lightning" was very realistic to me. But, I get that this would be upsetting for people to watch, as people usually turn to entertainment for escapism.

Old 01-22-2018, 10:17 PM   #14
"Chosen"
NOT his black friend

I was pulled over the other day, driving 46 in a 45

I had my license and registration in hand, and the officer looked at me and said, "I didn't ask you for any of that. I want to know how someone like YOU, got a car like this". 2017 Audi S5.

But hey, what can you do..
"Chosen" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 10:58 PM   #15
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
I was pulled over the other day, driving 46 in a 45 ...
I was researching some on Martin Luther King Jr. for last Saturday's film club. He was arrested something like 29 times, usually for ridiculous charges. One time he was literally thrown in jail and held for a time for going 30 in a 25 zone.
Old 01-22-2018, 11:21 PM   #16
Mister Ed

Quote:
I was pulled over the other day, driving 46 in a 45

I had my license and registration in hand, and the officer looked at me and said, "I didn't ask you for any of that. I want to know how someone like YOU, got a car like this". 2017 Audi S5.

But hey, what can you do..
Sounds like this one guy I know at work. He drives a Mercedes. He says he USED to get pulled over all the time, back when he wore his hair in braids, but once he cut it short, suddenly he hardly ever got pulled over. Apparently, with his hair in braids he didn't look like somebody they thought would be driving a Mercedes.
Old 01-25-2018, 04:31 PM   #17
Darth_Primus
Guardian of the Universe

The second episode was pretty brutal in certain ways; brutal in the sense of a mafia type of drama. I think that why I like "Black Lightning" more than most of the current DCTV CW shows, as it's building up the villains and its world. Like I posted previously, this series has "The Dark Knight Return" feels to it.