The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > General > General/About Us
FLASHCHAT

General

Old 02-06-2018, 04:19 AM   #1
Hypo
Lil' Leaguer

Default Shazam!

Production Starts on New Line Cinema’s Magical Super Hero Action Adventure “Shazam!”
Quote:
BURBANK, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Production is underway on New Line Cinema’s “Shazam!” David F. Sandberg (“Annabelle: Creation”) directs the origin story, which stars Zachary Levi (TV’s “Chuck”) as the titular DC Super Hero, along with Asher Angel (TV’s “Andi Mack”) as Billy Batson, and Mark Strong (the “Kingsman” movies) in the role of Super-Villain Dr. Thaddeus Sivana. Peter Safran (upcoming “Aquaman,” “The Conjuring” and “Annabelle” films) serves as the film’s producer.

We all have a superhero inside us, it just takes a bit of magic to bring it out. In Billy Batson’s (Angel) case, by shouting out one word—SHAZAM!—this streetwise 14-year-old foster kid can turn into the adult Super Hero Shazam (Levi), courtesy of an ancient wizard. Still a kid at heart—inside a ripped, godlike body—Shazam revels in this adult version of himself by doing what any teen would do with superpowers: have fun with them! Can he fly? Does he have X-ray vision? Can he shoot lightning out of his hands? Can he skip his social studies test? Shazam sets out to test the limits of his abilities with the joyful recklessness of a child. But he’ll need to master these powers quickly in order to fight the deadly forces of evil controlled by Dr. Thaddeus Sivana (Strong).

“Shazam!” also stars Jack Dylan Grazer (“IT”) as Billy’s best friend and ultimate superhero enthusiast, Freddy, part of the foster family that includes Mary, played by Grace Fulton (“Annabelle: Creation”); Darla, played by Faithe Herman (TV’s “This is Us”); Eugene, played by Ian Chen (TV’s “Fresh Off the Boat”); and Pedro, played by Jovan Armand (TV’s “Hawaii Five-O”). Cooper Andrews (TV’s “The Walking Dead”) and Marta Milans (TV’s “Killer Women”) play foster parents Victor and Rosa Vasquez, with Ron Cephas Jones (“This is Us”) as the Wizard.

Christopher Godsick, Jeffrey Chernov, Dwayne Johnson, Dany Garcia and Hiram Garcia are serving as executive producers.

Sandberg’s creative team includes his “Annabelle: Creation” director of photography Maxime Alexandre, production designer Jennifer Spence, editor Michel Aller and costume designer Leah Butler.

Set primarily in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, principal photography for the film is taking place in Toronto.

Firmly set in the DC universe but with his own distinctly fun, family-centric tone, the character first appeared in Whiz Comics in 1940 and was created by Bill Parker and C.C. Beck.

A New Line Cinema production, “Shazam!” is set for release on April 5, 2019. It will be distributed worldwide by Warner Bros. Pictures, a Warner Bros. Entertainment Company.
Old 02-06-2018, 04:30 AM   #2
Space Cop
The Dandy

I hate when Shazam is his magic word and his name.

Last edited by Space Cop; 02-06-2018 at 04:44 AM.
Space Cop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 03:04 PM   #3
Mister Ed
Horse of a Different Color

I just hope that the use of the word "streetwise" doesn't mean Billy is going to be the more cynical, obnoxious version foisted on us in recent years. That'll turn me off the movie REAL fast.
Old 02-06-2018, 03:05 PM   #4
Mister Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Cop View Post
Yeah. He can't even tell people who he is without transforming.
Old 02-06-2018, 03:18 PM   #5
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Ed View Post
I just hope that the use of the word "streetwise" doesn't mean Billy is going to be the more cynical, obnoxious version foisted on us in recent years. That'll turn me off the movie REAL fast.
Yeah, I hate those buzzwords. They always make it sound like "street-wise" or "sassy" are still provocative, but the opposite is so rare in cinema that it would be the only surprise. When is the last time a Hollywood movie was allowed to use the terms "innocent," "old-fashioned," or "quaint" as positive character traits to expect in a movie?
Old 02-06-2018, 04:20 PM   #6
IonFan
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Cop View Post
i for one am ok with this, i've never called him CM

IonFan says

Quote:
F**k the "Deep-State" and screw all the fake news, one year in and I still support our President one
Donald J. Trump
IonFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 10:43 PM   #7
Sylent_Asassin
Black Lantern

Hopefully, Billy Batson is the "Golly gee willikers" version and not the juvenile delinquent criminal from the NU52. The latter version is extremely hard to root for and doesn't deserve his powers.
Old 02-06-2018, 10:47 PM   #8
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

He'll always be Captain Marvel to me.
Old 02-06-2018, 10:52 PM   #9
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylent_Asassin View Post
Hopefully, Billy Batson is the "Golly gee willikers" version and not the juvenile delinquent criminal from the NU52. The latter version is extremely hard to root for and doesn't deserve his powers.
Agreed. Cap is all about innocence, wonder, whimsy, and good nature. I will have nothing to do with anything resembling a smart ass, hip, kewl Billy Batson. That just misses the point.
Old 02-06-2018, 10:58 PM   #10
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylent_Asassin View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy Dave Skywalker View Post
Agreed. Cap is all about innocence, wonder, whimsy, and good nature. I will have nothing to do with anything resembling a smart ass, hip, kewl Billy Batson. That just misses the point.
I'm sure TPTB in Hollywood consider modern audiences too sophisticated for that Billy, but there's no reason they can't do it. If it comes off as corny or campy, then sell the camp.
Old 02-06-2018, 11:07 PM   #11
Darth_Primus
Guardian of the Universe

Ya know, when I remember watching the old "Shazam!" TV show when I was a kid and I thought Billy Batson was a man. I never saw him as a kid.

Darth_Primus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 11:14 PM   #12
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

I know it would never sell, but I always wanted to see a Captain Marvel movie done as a period piece, set in the late 1930s. It's a time when many of the elements of Cap/Billy's backstory work and are believable. Him being an orphan who gets by with a job selling newspapers would never be allowed to happen today. Or later working at the radio station while still being on his own. There is a lot of Billy's story that immediately makes him sympathetic to readers, the kid is shit on constantly and STILL tries to be a good person and do the right thing.
Old 03-09-2018, 12:58 PM   #13
Hypo
Lil' Leaguer

Old 03-09-2018, 02:10 PM   #14
Mister Ed

Are those his real muscles or is that suit padded? Because it LOOKS padded to me, even if those ARE his real muscles. Maybe it will look different in motion instead of still frames.

I like the look overall, though.
Old 03-09-2018, 02:45 PM   #15
Mister.Weirdo
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Are those his real muscles or is that suit padded? Because it LOOKS padded to me, even if those ARE his real muscles. Maybe it will look different in motion instead of still frames.

They'll change in post-production, they always do that.

Costume looks great BTW. Looks like it came straight out of a comic.
Old 03-10-2018, 12:23 AM   #16
Ωmega Man
Guardian of the Universe

I like it for the most part. Takes too much from the New52 look though. Remember when Billy first got a hood in his white clad Marvel alias when Freddy became CM? That white suit... just in red... would've been PERFECT. It got rid of the pirate boots but still kept the classic look...

EDIT: It's a plus that the director knows what hair dye is.

~//V\\~
Old 03-10-2018, 12:35 PM   #17
Hypo
Lil' Leaguer

Quote:

Probably a combination of both, every suit is padded these days. Given that these are just set photos and not even PR shots I'm sure the suit will look better in the movie.
Old 03-10-2018, 02:30 PM   #18
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

That costume is as close to perfect as we were ever going to get. I am actually pleasantly surprised it's as faithful as it is. I love it.
Old 03-11-2018, 04:13 PM   #19
Deadpool
Fight like a man: with your words, not your fists.

The hood looks a bit awkward, but that'll hopefully look neater on screen. The bright yellow logo and bits on the arm band I'm pretty sure will be CGI'd to look more...lightup, seems a bit too much of a flat neon yellow for them to actually go in the final movie. The suit's texture looks very reminiscent of the DCEU Superman costume in particular, the costume strikes me as fairly similar to that overall, but for Captain Marvel instead of Superman. Overall a nice looking costume, will be interesting to see how it looks on film. Not a giant Captain Marvel fan so I don't know what my thoughts on the general film etc. are, but I'd concur with those of you on here who said a period film would be better, for a start it'd help it stand out, and with the success of Wonder Woman I think a lot of us want to see more period superhero films, I always thought a Superman film set in the 30s/40s would work well. Seeing the costume looks so modern though, I doubt it'll be period...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy Caesar View Post
If I had things like the internet and a laptop as a kid, I never would have left my room as a teenager.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaker View Post
I am the Geoff Johns of the GLCMB.
Deadpool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 06:22 PM   #20
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadpool View Post
...I always thought a Superman film set in the 30s/40s would work well. Seeing the costume looks so modern though, I doubt it'll be period...
DC/WB will never do it, but a depression-era Superman with his correspondent power levels could be really fun.
Old 03-15-2018, 03:53 PM   #21
IonFan
Forum Member

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

i........................... agree with some of this

IonFan says

Quote:
F**k the "Deep-State" and screw all the fake news, one year in and I still support our President one
Donald J. Trump
IonFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 06:32 PM   #22
Tazer
That Evil, Yellow Bastiche

Yo.

Tazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Geoff Johns should have a 10 mile restraining order from comic books, let alone films.
Tazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 05:44 AM   #23
Hypo
Lil' Leaguer

Old 05-23-2018, 02:55 PM   #24
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

I'm digging that costume. I hear people complain about it, but to me it seems more like a modernized version of the comic one for film. Its pretty much what I would expect with no going off the rails with lame armor plating, nipples, or jagged pieces.
Old 05-23-2018, 03:08 PM   #25
Space Cop
The Dandy

^Agreed. There may be many problems with this yet, but the costume doesn't seem to be one of them. The drink makes the Captain look childish too, so hopefully that does come across in the movie.