The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > Green Lanternverse > Sector 0
FLASHCHAT

Sector 0

Old 01-27-2018, 06:25 PM   #1
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

Default John in Justice League and Kyle in Titans?

With Baz and Cruz getting non-Lantern roles?

If you'd like to see that, you should go to CBR and vote in this poll.

http://community.comicbookresources....Kyle-in-Titans
Trey Strain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 06:54 PM   #2
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

Nah. Been there done that. Kyle doesn't work for me as a Titan. Hal should be in the League. And Baz & the other chick shouldn't even appear in any comics anymore.
Old 01-27-2018, 07:51 PM   #3
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy Dave Skywalker View Post
Nah. Been there done that. Kyle doesn't work for me as a Titan. Hal should be in the League. And Baz & the other chick shouldn't even appear in any comics anymore.
Baz and Cruz will not go away. That's a pipe dream. The best you can hope for is to get those rings off them. And DC won't replace them in JL with a white male. So replacing them with John is the only alternative.

Re Kyle: You want him to stay in Hal's comic? Why?
Old 01-27-2018, 10:22 PM   #4
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

Hell no. I'd rather he get his own comic. Put him back in NYC and give his fans a bone for once.

I haven't bought a GL comic in over a year now. Quit 14 months ago. I'll come back when DC cancels everything and relaunches again, if it gets better. So I guess I'm not the target audience any longer no matter what.
Old 01-28-2018, 01:25 AM   #5
IonFan
Forum Member

Quote:
Hell no. I'd rather he get his own comic. Put him back in NYC and give his fans a bone for once.
by Making Him Great Again you mean

IonFan says

Quote:
F**k the "Deep-State" and screw all the fake news, one year in and I still support our President one
Donald J. Trump
IonFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 01:36 AM   #6
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by IonFan View Post
by Making Him Great Again you mean
Because the last time Kyle was a white lantern, god, and whatever it was such a great seller?
Old 01-28-2018, 06:15 AM   #7
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Cop View Post
Because the last time Kyle was a white lantern, god, and whatever it was such a great seller?
I don't think he's going to get back his kewl loft apartment with Jade in NYC either.

Last edited by Trey Strain; 01-28-2018 at 06:32 AM.
Old 01-28-2018, 01:14 PM   #8
IonFan
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Cop View Post
well i got it so something must of been good about it

IonFan says

Quote:
F**k the "Deep-State" and screw all the fake news, one year in and I still support our President one
Donald J. Trump
Old 01-28-2018, 04:44 PM   #9
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

Maybe they can make Kyle the new host for the Spectre! But this time, let him keep a green ring, a white ring, a phantom ring, and a travel lantern too. He uses all of them combined to become--The SPECTRum Lantern!
Old 01-28-2018, 08:00 PM   #10
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trey Strain View Post
I don't think he's going to get back his kewl loft apartment with Jade in NYC either.
Jade was my favorite girlfriend for Kyle, but I think a big part of that is Trekkie wish fulfillment in that I'd like a green girlfriend.
Old 01-29-2018, 04:25 AM   #11
IonFan
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trey Strain View Post
it's cause Jade doesn't exist anymore (the cheating b!tch )

IonFan says

Quote:
Donald J. Trump
Old 01-29-2018, 06:51 AM   #12
Star-Lantern
Hal's Understudy

I think the last time Kyle Rayner was great was when Ron Marz wrote him. That is, before Ron Marz left. Not the time when he came back for a short time to finish up volume 3 of Green Lantern. The last time Guy Gardner was great was when he had Sinestro's ring. For John Stewart, it was the Justice League cartoon, before he shaved his head and got a goatee. So before Justice League was turned into Justice League Unlimited. After that point, all stories about him basically came down to him pining for Hawkgirl.

I don't think any of those characters have been 'great' since those points for them.

Last edited by Star-Lantern; 01-29-2018 at 06:53 AM.
Star-Lantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 04:10 PM   #13
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good, Dave. When you do that, you usually end up with the bad.

Baz and Cruz dead, Hal in Justice League and Kyle out of Titans might be perfect for you, but you're not getting that. Baz and Cruz in new roles, John in Justice League and Kyle in Titans is good, and more important, it's achievable.
Old 01-29-2018, 04:38 PM   #14
Mister Ed
Horse of a Different Color

I'm not sure that Baz and Cruz being relegated to some other role besides GL is any more achievable than having them just go away. I would assume that whatever protection they might have would prevent either of those options.
Old 01-29-2018, 04:57 PM   #15
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Ed View Post
I'm not sure that Baz and Cruz being relegated to some other role besides GL is any more achievable than having them just go away. I would assume that whatever protection they might have would prevent either of those options.
It's a matter of getting DC to realize that six Earth Lanterns is too damned many. Yes, I think that can be done.
Old 01-29-2018, 05:42 PM   #16
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

I suppose if you are DETERMINED to carve out a lasting place for Simon and Cruz to hang their hats, they could always be made police officers in some shitty Gotham PD title. Let them hang out in the Bat universe with Bullock and Gordon as regular cops so I never have to hear about them again. If that makes you happy, cool beans.

You COULD put Kyle in Titans, yes. I just would never buy it because he is there. If he had a solo GL title set on Earth I would, but if you'd rather he be a Titan go for it.

John can be in one of the umpteen JLA titles sure, why not. I wouldn't buy it because JLA titles historically suck but sure, go for it.

You could do all of this, I just wouldn't waste any money on any of it.
Old 01-29-2018, 11:15 PM   #17
JohnMc
Green Lantern

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Ed View Post
I have a better chance of seeing Guy getting his Warrior powers back then Baz and Cruz losing their GL roles. As long as Geoff Johns is one of the DC Higher-ups we are stuck with them. Atleast they're much better characters than Marvel's diversity crew where they're all angry, bitchy Mary-Sues.
JohnMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 12:35 AM   #18
Ωmega Man
Guardian of the Universe

I don't see why there's a need to do something with Baz and Cruz, when just getting rid of them would suffice? Just because Hal has been Parallax and Spectre, Kyle's been a White Lantern and Ion, John's been a Guardian and a Darkstar, and Guy's wore a yellow ring and had Vuldarian powers.... doesn't mean DC HAS to do something with Baz and Cruz.

I mean... they *could* make Cruz the new Star Sapphire and make it work. IDK what they could do with Baz to make him any more likable though.

~//V\\~
Old 01-30-2018, 12:28 PM   #19
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
I suppose if you are DETERMINED to carve out a lasting place for Simon and Cruz to hang their hats, they could always be made police officers in some shitty Gotham PD title. Let them hang out in the Bat universe with Bullock and Gordon as regular cops so I never have to hear about them again. If that makes you happy, cool beans.

You COULD put Kyle in Titans, yes. I just would never buy it because he is there. If he had a solo GL title set on Earth I would, but if you'd rather he be a Titan go for it.

John can be in one of the umpteen JLA titles sure, why not. I wouldn't buy it because JLA titles historically suck but sure, go for it.

You could do all of this, I just wouldn't waste any money on any of it.
You're not buying it now either.
Old 02-05-2018, 08:58 AM   #20
Big Blue Lantern
Corps Honor Guard

I like the Four Corpsmen idea, but I expect DC to shake up things up soon. Kyle won't be in Titans since I expect DC to relaunch Teen Titans with a team similar to the impending live-action TV show. However, much like the post-Rebirth two team Titans, we'll have two 3-person teams of Green Lanterns rotating between defending Earth and defending space?
Fear the banners and the Wildcat bite!
Big Blue Lantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 07:05 AM   #21
Mister.Weirdo
Guardian of the Universe

No to Kyle being in The Teen Titans. They tried that in the 90's, didn't work then, probably won't work well. Kyle's characters doesn't fit the kind of thing I'd say the Teen Titans characters in general are supposed to be.
Old 02-09-2018, 03:54 AM   #22
Ωmega Man
Guardian of the Universe

That's the thing though.... Kyle's never been a TEEN Titan. He was a member of the New Titans that had characters in both their teens and twenties. The group consisted of Arsenal, Donna Troy/Darkstar, Kyle/GL, Impulse, Supergirl/Matrix, Damage, Minion, Terra, and Mirage IIRC. For me it was like the best of both worlds. I got me some older Titans characters as well as some of the next generation that included a GL in his early 20's who was a bit of a slacker still back then.

Honestly.... put Kyle on ANY team that has at least one or two characters from that middle generation and he'd fit in just fine. I really enjoyed his rivalry with Arsenal moreso than his friendship with Green Arrow's son Conner Hawke. I'd love to see Kyle and Nightwing on the same team at some point. Any time he gets to interact with ginger Wally is a treat.

If people wanna complain about making Kyle an adult Titan, go Red Hood and the Outlaws and just create another new team. Challengers From Beyond was good while it lasted, bring that back even.

~//V\\~

Last edited by Ωmega Man; 02-09-2018 at 03:56 AM.
Ωmega Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 04:21 AM   #23
Star-Lantern
Hal's Understudy

Kyle Rayner joining the Titans or some team like that isn't a bad idea, because otherwise, he'll just be in Hal Jordan's shadow, like he more or less has been for the last fifteen or whatever years, outside of perhaps his stint in Omega Men. Note that he had to step outside of the Green Lantern franchise to get even that. There, he just got to be a hero who got development and didn't really have to worry much about other characters outshining him. He didn't have to go join some string of events where Hal Jordan was going to be the real hero, and Sinestro was going to be of much more importance than Kyle Rayner, or anything like that.

Think about it, Kyle Rayner pretty much has zero relevance in the DC universe today, outside of being a support player to Hal Jordan. He doesn't interact with anyone in the DC Universe outside of Green Lantern characters and, again, outside of Omega Men, he hasn't for YEEEEEAAAAAARRRS. And even in Hal Jordan and the Green Lantern Corps, he's just Green Lantern #3473847239294723947247238478234728934723894723. His current status isn't doing him any favors. People wanted him as a Green Lantern again, but let's be real here. What difference has that made for his character, his development, his status in the DC Universe, or for his anything? Right now Venditti is just using Kyle Rayner in the Hal Jordan book just to have him there.

I think in a Titans book, or something far away from Hal Jordan, the character stands a much better chance of actually mattering. Of course, it's not a sure thing, because it depends on execution, but the character, like pretty much all Green Lantern characters, isn't doing anything of note or interest. But now he's just a back up singer doing nothing of note or interest, so it's even worse.

Essentially, the character needs his own space. And no, not just another Green Lantern book where he's still somehow subservient to Hal Jordan in the greater narrative (see Green Lantern Corps, Green Lantern: New Guardians, and Ion: Guardian of the Universe).

Last edited by Star-Lantern; 02-10-2018 at 04:29 AM.
Star-Lantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 05:52 PM   #24
Andrew NDB
Shot Caller

Send a message via Yahoo to Andrew NDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star-Lantern View Post
Think about it, Kyle Rayner pretty much has zero relevance in the DC universe today, outside of being a support player to Hal Jordan.
Because they force him to be that doesn't mean that's all he can be.

Every Kyle fan has been screaming since day 1 after "Rebirth": Kyle really flourishes when he's on Earth, doing Earthly adventures and real life stuff.

Times DC has tried that since then: 0.

Well, technically once, in the Ion maxi written by Marz. But Geoff Johns famously truncated that not because of sales, but rather to suit his "Sinestro Corps War" so that Kyle could be Parallax. And become a normal Green Lantern again. And have Sinestro kill his mom, before wanting everyone to forget that happened.

An hey, on that note, doesn't Kyle still have that chick at the artist commune in that book waiting for him?
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote