No announcement yet.

Changes to the original concept

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I don't understand why anyone is going to the mat for recycled rings. Why is that important? But OK, let's say I'd use that. Sinestro could still steal Abin's ring. How is it a deal killer that Hal gets a new ring instead of Abin's ring? Do John, Guy and Kyle need to get used rings too, and if so, then why? That objection isn't computing for me, and the readers would never even notice it.

And you haven't heard what I'd do with the Guardians, because I haven't told you So don't assume you'd never see them, and then object to that. I'd just keep them off-camera most of the time, so they can't be bitched at by the Lanterns or be used by the writers to generate cheap conflict. We've seen from long experience what that leads to. Less is more with them.

There's a psychology at work about them that needs to be recognized. If the Guardians make a particular decision, then the writers and the readers will assume that there's a tendency for the decision to be wrong. That's because the Guardians have faces and personalities, and can be argued with. The fact that they're 10 billion years old cuts no mustard with the readers and the writers. But if a super AI that the Guardians built makes that same decision, then the writers and the readers will accept it. That's just the psychology of human beings.

The CPB will handle operations. The Guardians will be ascended masters who have moved beyond all material concerns and have created the GLC as a gift to lesser beings. They'll appear on special occasions, but be depicted the way that beings who are 10 billion years old should be.
    Trey Strain
    Guardian of the Universe
    Last edited by Trey Strain; 07-01-2017, 11:58 AM.

Comment

• I don't know why you guys still bother trying to have a conversation with him, he always knows what's best for the GL mythos and we're all idiots

Comment

• Post deleted.
        Trey Strain
        Guardian of the Universe
        Last edited by Trey Strain; 07-01-2017, 02:22 PM.

Comment

• Don't get the idea that the CPB would be very active either. It would choose new Lanterns and hand out some infrequent emergency assignments, but that's all. The Lanterns would be essentially autonomous.

I don't think any reader would object to that. Certainly no Lantern would.

BUT... for the Lanterns to receive that kind of power and autonomy, it's essential that the CPB never make a mistake as to who gets a ring. That means Sinestro shouldn't be handed one.

This setup isn't complex. It actually constitutes a simplification.

Comment

• I'm going to repost something that I posted earlier but deleted. It's what should have happened in the GL movie, and it's what should happen in a reboot of Green Lantern.

Sinestro and Abin Sur live on Korrugar. Sur is a Green Lantern, and Sinestro is jealous of him. The Weaponers of Qward offer Sinestro a yellow ring with which to kill Sur. In return they want Sinestro to use Sur's green ring to give them a portal through which to enter this universe. They plan to destroy the Green Lantern Corps in a surprise attack. They tell Sinestro they'll let him rule Korrugar, but they actually want to kill him, and to loot Korrugar and many other worlds.

After Sinestro assassinates Sur, the CPB gives power rings and batteries to Hal, Guy, John and Kyle. Sinestro sees a chance to put these unsuspecting rookies to work helping him conquer and subjugate Korrugar.

Meanwhile the Qwardians enter this universe and attack the GLC. The Earth Lanterns finally figure out what's going on and join with the Corps to fight Sinestro and the Qwardians.

The Corps defeats the Weaponers and drives them back to their universe, but Sinestro escapes with Sur's ring and power battery.

The Earth Lanterns then start deciding what they're going to do with their rings.

That movie wouldn't have lost $90 million.

Comment

• It wouldn't lose 90 million because the only green in it would be energy beams and bubbles LOL

Can't go from one hero to four and think a movie is gonna be cheaper. If Power Rangers only had one lead it wouldn't have cost 100 million to make...

~//V\\~

Comment

• Originally posted by Booster Beetle View Post
                I don't know why you guys still bother trying to have a conversation with him, he always knows what's best for the GL mythos and we're all idiots
                If you're going to tell people what I think, and miss it by that much, then let me clarify it for you. You're the only person here I'd call an idiot. And you've worked hard to earn that crown.

If anyone didn't get what I was saying about that movie not losing $90 million, then let me clarify. I wasn't talking about the budget. (Although with no ring constructs, which is the way I'd have done it, the budget would have been a lot lower.) I meant that more people would have come to see it. It's just a better story.
                Trey Strain
                Guardian of the Universe
                Last edited by Trey Strain; 07-01-2017, 05:45 PM.

Comment

• Here's another reason that the Guardians should be kept off-camera most of the time, and not arguing with the Lanterns. When they send the Lanterns on a dangerous assignment, a legitimate question for the Lanterns to ask them is, "Wait, why don't YOU sons of bitches do this? Why are you sending US?"

It's better to just make that a moot point.

Comment

• Originally posted by Trey Strain View Post
                    It's just a better story.
                    ... ONLY, in your mind. I wouldn't want to see that.

Comment

• Are 3,600 Green Lanterns enough to cover the entire universe? Are 7.200?

Well, there are believed to be about 1 followed by 24 zeroes stars in the universe. That's an awfully big number, and it encompasses an awfully large area. And nobody knows how many stars might support technological civilizations.

So why try to put a number on it? Instead, just keep it vague and say there are as many or as few Lanterns as there need to be.

Just like we don't need to know exactly how many years there have been any super-heroes on Earth. Or need to know exactly how tall all the super-heroes are.

Writers shouldn't worry about things like that. They should worry about telling stories. That's plenty to keep them occupied.
                      Trey Strain
                      Guardian of the Universe
                      Last edited by Trey Strain; 07-03-2017, 03:06 PM.

Comment

• But that certainly doesn't mean that having six Earth Lanterns was an OK idea.

In the days when the task of getting just one more Lantern besides Kyle seemed impossible, nobody dreamed that DC would ever create a huge problem like this. The company went from saying, "The market won't support more than one Lantern, you imbeciles!" to "Here a Corps, there a Corps, everywhere a Corps-Corps!"

I just hope that nobody at DC gets the idea of starting an Earth Corps, or a Hal Corps. Don't put it past them to do that.

Instead of a Lantern insignia on their chests, maybe they'd have an E, for Earth. Or an H, for Hal.
                        Trey Strain
                        Guardian of the Universe
                        Last edited by Trey Strain; 07-03-2017, 03:11 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Trey Strain View Post
                          I'm going to repost something that I posted earlier but deleted. It's what should have happened in the GL movie, and it's what should happen in a reboot of Green Lantern.

Sinestro and Abin Sur live on Korrugar. Sur is a Green Lantern, and Sinestro is jealous of him. The Weaponers of Qward offer Sinestro a yellow ring with which to kill Sur. In return they want Sinestro to use Sur's green ring to give them a portal through which to enter this universe. They plan to destroy the Green Lantern Corps in a surprise attack. They tell Sinestro they'll let him rule Korrugar, but they actually want to kill him, and to loot Korrugar and many other worlds.

After Sinestro assassinates Sur, the CPB gives power rings and batteries to Hal, Guy, John and Kyle. Sinestro sees a chance to put these unsuspecting rookies to work helping him conquer and subjugate Korrugar.

Meanwhile the Qwardians enter this universe and attack the GLC. The Earth Lanterns finally figure out what's going on and join with the Corps to fight Sinestro and the Qwardians.

The Corps defeats the Weaponers and drives them back to their universe, but Sinestro escapes with Sur's ring and power battery.

The Earth Lanterns then start deciding what they're going to do with their rings.

That movie wouldn't have lost $90 million.

THAT is your idea for a GL movie? That is awful! Don't quit your day job man, you aren't meant to be a writer.

Comment

• Jesus, that sounds like the drizzling shits....

Comment

• Originally posted by Big Daddy Dave Targaryen I View Post
                              Jesus, that sounds like the drizzling shits....
                              Says the guy who refuses to read any of it. If you think what you saw on the screen was better than that, then you need a brain enema. A drizzling one. But of course everyone in entitled to an opinion. You shared yours, and that's mine.

You don't want want any reboot and you want the origin to be just like John Broome wrote it 60 years ago, God damn it, and get off my lawn. I get that.

But Hollywood movies don't get made for a few longtime fanboys on message boards. Unlike you, the people who would go to a GL movie don't know or care one single shit about any of that. Or about Hal getting Abin Sur's ring. Or about Hal being the only GL in it. They come without preconceptions, and they want to see a good story. Nothing else.

"It's not enough like the old funny book to suit me" means nothing to them. Only to you and a few other people.
                              Trey Strain
                              Guardian of the Universe
                              Last edited by Trey Strain; 07-03-2017, 06:04 PM.

Comment

• In fact, very few GREEN LANTERN READERS are interested in the things you're going to the mat for, or go to message boards to fight for them. Let alone do any movie goers. If a few hardcore fanboys throw a fit and go away, that's not a loss. It's a gain.

Anyway, they're like those people who said they'd move to Canada if Trump won. They ain't going anywhere. But hey, if they do, then -- BYE!
                                Trey Strain
                                Guardian of the Universe
                                Last edited by Trey Strain; 07-03-2017, 06:17 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X