Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hal Jordan:INSANE

Every since Emerald Twilight the question has been argued-

Would Hal Jordan really go insane at the destruction of Coast City?

I use to believe this but after 10+ years of aguements & discussions I find myself 70/30 on the subject so now i have a final solution to the question.

I have decided to let my physic teacher(20yrs in the business) read all of vol.3 and emerald twilight.

I will post the respond when i get it.

It wasn't so much Coast City itself making himself insane as much as it was the Guardians sticking it to him right after Coast City, while he was in the middle of coping... like, the straw that broke the camel's back.

Ganthet has -- on at least a couple of occasions -- admitted the Guardians did very wrong by Hal.

Comment

People all over the world have been driven insane by far less.

Comment

I think it is not insignificant to note that the writer of GL at the time of Coast City's destruction, who presumably had a lot to say about the mental strength of the character, did NOT feel that Coast City's destruction would drive Hal insane. We know this because he had a script for events post-Coast City that did not include a descent into insanity.

To me, the fact that that event was latched on to after the fact as something to point to and say, "Yeah, that's why he went insane. That's the ticket!" says a lot about why it simply wasn't believable. If you are going to tell a decent story about a character going nuts, I think you really NEED to PLAN it that way, including the trigger in your story arc, not just picking something that was never intended to drive the character insane and retroactively saying that it did. There were several ways in which the destruction of Coast City could have been PLANNED to be more tragic for Hal, and more believable for a trigger for a descent into insanity that they had planned, but since it was never intended for that purpose, none of that happened, and we got, IMHO, a very weak explanation for a very serious, sudden, and severe psychotic break.

Comment

Originally posted by Satyrquaze View Post
          People all over the world have been driven insane by far less.

People with the established mental strength and track record of dealing with tragedy that Hal Jordan had? I kind of doubt it. I have no doubt that Hal Jordan has a breaking point. I think EVERYBODY does. I just don't think that Coast City's destruction as it happened was sufficient.

Comment

In reference to Mister Ed's post;

The original plan for the issues that became Emerald Twilight can be found here, with discussion:

http://www.thegreenlanterncorps.com/...hread.php?t=52
            Parrylakks
            Neko Samurai
            Last edited by Parrylakks; 10-19-2007, 10:34 PM.
            Do good. Be well. Make happy.

Comment

Hal had something inside him when he lost it ... Under normal non Parallax circumstances, I don't think Hal would have snapped though ... Since Parallax was involved though, I find the story very believable now ... At first, I didn't know Parallax was an actual seperate being ... I thought Hal simply snapped and started calling himself Parallax ... It'd kinda be like me suddenly changing my name to Shirley with no explanation, except that Jesus didn't come down from the cross in Spiderman 3, and honor Brock's request to kill Peter Parker ... Ya know ???

Comment

Originally posted by bobservations View Post
                It'd kinda be like me suddenly changing my name to Shirley with no explanation, except that Jesus didn't come down from the cross in Spiderman 3, and honor Brock's request to kill Peter Parker ... Ya know ???
                i've read that last paragraph 4 times now... and it still doesn't make sense to me lol

M

Comment

Originally posted by methos View Post
                  i've read that last paragraph 4 times now... and it still doesn't make sense to me lol

M
                  Not everything makes sense ...

Comment

Wow... thats just umm... wow... wtf?

Comment

Originally posted by Parrylakks View Post
                      Wow... thats just umm... wow... wtf?
                      i get that a lot ... fortunately, i sometimes get paid to say nonsense in front of crowds ...

Comment

Well, as long as its working out for ya.

Comment

Originally posted by Parrylakks View Post
                          Well, as long as its working out for ya.
                          Since I do most of my standup for charity, I'm not gonna
                          cash in for myself off of nonsense ... That's for sure ...
                          I've done nearly 30 shows over the course of the past year
                          75% of those shows were freebies for charity, but the rest
                          of them were paying gigs for private parties and corporate
                          meetings ... My humor is my ministry, so I mainly do stuff for
                          free depending on the cause, of course ...
                          Bob Sachs
                          Voice of Guy Gardner
                          Last edited by Bob Sachs; 10-20-2007, 02:43 AM. Reason: to add some information ...

Comment

I have to admit that the very first issue I read of Green Lantern was Volume 3, Number 48. I was ten years old. I have been reading GL non stop ever since. I've loved every minute of it and I'm still enjoying the ride. I don't think I would have had them change it for anything.

I was a Hal fan at first, but grew up with Kyle. I loved when they made Hal the Spectre and Kyle the Torch Bearer of the Corps. Making him Ion and bringing back the Corps was the best thing that ever happened. Then they brought back Hal. Now I have the best of both worlds ring slinging together with John and Guy. Where they all belong.

Comment

Never made sense to me Hal's great willpower is what makes him a great hero, for him to snap out of no where change his name start killing his friends and try and reboot the universe is a big WTF? for most Hal fans.
                              "If at first you don't succeed, try Kyle again!".

Comment

Working...
                              X